Register

Default The Last Airbender preview

Okay, so about 3 years ago, the series Avatar: The Last Airbender was launched on Nickelodeon. I remember I was eating a burger when I watched the Pilot episode. It was a good series. It was set in an interesting and original world where the four nations "Water Tribe, Air Nomads, Earth Kingdom, and Fire Nation" lived in peace. Each kingdom had their own form of Bending the elements. However, 100 years before the events of the series, the Fire Nation waged war on the other nations. Around this time, The Avatar, the only person who could master the arts of Bending all four elements, vanished from the face of the planet.

100 years later, two teenagers from the Water Tribe, Katara and Sokka, found an airbender named Aang trapped in an iceberg with a flying bison. It turns out that he is the long-lost Avatar. However, he hasn't mastered all four elements yet. So, the three must go on a journey around the world so that Aang can master the elements. Along the way, they are pursued by the prince-in-exile Zuko and his uncle Iroh. In the second season, Zuko's sister, Azula, joins in the chase as well, rivaling Zuko in the process.

The story was great, the action was cool, the characters were complex, and the animation was pretty good. In the end, it was a good series, and it went for three seasons, which is pretty long by cartoon standards. It even resolved the story.

Now, after that long review of something not mentioned in the title of the thread, here's a short preview of what I made this thread to talk about: The Last Airbender.

Basically, it's a movie adaptation of the first season of the series. The other two seasons will be made into movies as well. The strange thing is that they're going to be directed by M. Night Shamylon, who directed The Sixth Sense and Signs. Strange.

Does it sound interesting to anyone?

The real time film will totally ruin the series. Where is general nonsense? GN is a crazed fan of Avatar. prolly the best person to ask. I'm not completely into it but the series was cool and the plot was solid. Hollywood is just gunna fuck up yet another perfectly good creation.

Quote Originally Posted by codbarley View Post
    The real time film will totally ruin the series
    How can it ruin something that is already ruined?
    A picture may say a thousand words, but a thousand words can paint one beautiful picture.

I'm actually going to admit that I liked Avatar: The Last Airbender. It was a bit too cute for me at times and there's several instances of "because I say so" plot events, but the main cast was developed nicely, the underlining plot was motivation enough for everyone to keep going and there were some pretty cool and creative episodes. The action is good overall with peaks of genius every now and then. It's also the only series that I can forgive for using pointless filler episodes to develop the characters because most of those episodes were pretty good.

My favourite character was Zuko simply because the most amount of work was put into his character out of every character in the series and it's obvious. I like how his powers are directly proportional to his emotions, though I didn't like how they resolved that in the end of the series, it was too abrupt.

All in all, I'm open to the possibility of the movie being decent as long as they don't fuck up Zuko. The movie seems to have some pretty awesome effects and the choreography seems top notch so if nothing else we can at least anticipate Fire style Kung Fu and how is that not awesome? Just imagine Bruce Lee on fire, and you're all set.
    Last edited by Victory; July 6th, 2009 at 05:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Victory View Post
    Lee on fire, and you're all set.
    You just made the movie a must see.
    A picture may say a thousand words, but a thousand words can paint one beautiful picture.

Default Avatar: The Last Airbender

I personally think that the actors chosen for the movie aren't that fitting. Where as the voice actors actually look like their character. Especially Zuko's, Dante Basco. Also, I think Jack DeSena could play Sokka, as long as he got a hair cut.
    Here are the voice actors: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0959552/
    And the actors: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0938283/

Tell me what you think.

---------- Post added at 03:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 AM ----------

Oh, crap, sorry I didn't notice someone else already made a thread sort of about this until after I made it. Well, this is mostly about the actors and the show.
    Last edited by Victory; July 6th, 2009 at 04:51 AM.
    "When drawn and talk of peace. I hate the word as I hate Hell, all Montagues, and thee. Have at thee coward!" Tybalt, Romeo and Juliet act 1 scene 1

Threads merged.

I think the actors are all fine. The only consern is Uncle Iroh, the rest seem fine for a movie adoptation. Except for Ozai, I recognize the characters in the context, especially Sokka, and your comment that Zuko's voice actor looks anything like the character is retarded. The movie actor looks much more like him and even then it's not perfect but it never will be. It's a cartoon.

In a dead society in the middle of Nowhere(HELP ME)

Everyone's a critic! I think the preview looked pretty good, but I was never really into the Avatar series. I watched a few episodes here and there, but wasn't a huge fan. Zuko, I think personally, was the best character even if he was somewhat of a whiner. His sister..... totally fucking insane......
    Hiruma Youichi....Quarterback, arsonist maniac, brilliant strategist...Scary.

Thanks Vic for merging the thread. And, I think the voice actors would have been much better. Or they simply could have made it a simple animated movie with enhanced graphics. Sort of how the Simpsons Movie graphics are better than that of the show.
    "When drawn and talk of peace. I hate the word as I hate Hell, all Montagues, and thee. Have at thee coward!" Tybalt, Romeo and Juliet act 1 scene 1

First of all, they're voice actors, not actors, and some of them aren't even good voice actors. They're decent, good enough, but very few of them excells at anything. It's not like we're talking about Mark Hamill, Billy West or Frank Fucking Welker, or any other insanely good voice actor; we're talking amateurs.

Second, The Simpsons: the movie had that bastardized, sloppy mixture between CGI and hand drawn images which I hate so much in media and while I realize the advantages of this, I do not agree it makes anything look better. It makes things look plastic and cheap.

Thirdly, if they were good actors to begin with they probably would've passed the audition if they even cared enough to try for it!

In a dead society in the middle of Nowhere(HELP ME)

Harsh Public........
    Hiruma Youichi....Quarterback, arsonist maniac, brilliant strategist...Scary.

I liked the show but looking back at the other stuff M. Night has made, I'm afraid he'll completely screw it up.
    I'm a member of the Midnight Crew.

Oh yeah, at such HORRIBLLY traumatizing films like Signs, Unbreakable and the Sixth Sense; yikes. Those films were completely screw ups.

I meant the Village and The Happening.
    I'm a member of the Midnight Crew.

The odds are still better in favour, if you count by numbers. The village isn't a horrible movie, it's just not very good. The Happening on the other hand is horrible but Nights was too ambitious and tried too many new things he wasn't experienced with.

Nights is a competant but enthusiastic director. He has the potential for great things but his ambition can get in the way sometimes.

DQ 1337 Member ...I'm not telling you!'s Avatar

Ok. I loved the Avatar series. Totally, and when i found out they were making a film, i thought it'd be awesome. Then, i found out it was being directed by M night shamelon, or how ever you spell his name. The sixth sense was good, but most of his other films have the same problem, good at the begining, but because he has a mad adiction to puting in a tiwst which no one sees coming, it usually ruins the film. Yeah, the twist to the sixth sense was acceptable though because it was done nicley.
    But, i don't see how he can add a twist to an already set story line. I'm going to see it anyway, but my god if he fucks this up with 'the fire nation were never really fire neation but always water benders who used the power of the sun' or some crap like that, i'll personally kill him. Well, not really but that sentence sort of emphasises how much i'd dislike him

Unbreakable was a great film and that movie had a good twist. Don't be so negative, it's not like it's Uwe Boll doing it.

Also, no, the movies are like book adoptations; so you'll probably see a trilogy for all the books in the story. Nights have nothing to do with the story, it's set already. I'm not saying he can't fuck it up, but he doesn't have the freedom he has with other movies.

he doesn't have the freedom he has with other movies.
    Well with that information and the trailer i've seen, yeah i'm definatly seeing it (them if it's a success)

Uwe Boll
    Argh! Dont speak out his name! Its such a shame that he's german!

Whatever, I havent heard pretty much about Avatar. I always thought it was some kind of digimon for naruto fans... But whatever the movie will be, I think i'll take a look. It could be interestening.

edit: lol, 555 posts... whatever.
    Life goes on forever, you see it each spring.

The Happening on the other hand is horrible
    Seriously? Fuck! I just bought the damn movie and I was going to watch it tonight!

I personally liked the Avatar series. There may be some too childish themes, and the pairing war in the internet (Go to deviantArt - You'll see...), but still it's nice story to watch.

As for the movie concept - While animated it made good impression, the image of a bunch of kids around my age, fighting a whole army of bad guys in real life isn't good. Thus I'm gonna watch the movie, only to check out if they made it good.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadbrain View Post
    I personally liked the Avatar series. There may be some too childish themes, and the pairing war in the internet (Go to deviantArt - You'll see...), but still it's nice story to watch.

As for the movie concept - While animated it made good impression, the image of a bunch of kids around my age, fighting a whole army of bad guys in real life isn't good. Thus I'm gonna watch the movie, only to check out if they made it good.
    Yeah. You would think that fully grown men would be more trained. But then there wouldn't be a script .
    And...yeah the whole pairing arguments were hellishly anoying. Zuko with Katara, Aang with Katar (my prefference) Tai-Li with Sokka!...and thne one nut who would always say, Aang with Zuko.

Quote Originally Posted by nrocha20 View Post
    Seriously? Fuck! I just bought the damn movie and I was going to watch it tonight!

Watch the first half and then do something else. That way you'll be slightly entertained and you'll miss the truly awful stuff =P

Hmmm....I'm going to see this movie, but taking into account what's been said here, I might not enjoy it as much as I would want to. I remember seeing movies such as Series of Unfortunate Events and The Tale of Despereaux, and completely hating them for the sole reason that the concept of the books were bastardized! Well, Here's hoping Shamylon doesn't royally fuck this up.