Register

Default Singularity Preview

Hello, fellow DQ'ers. Ok, so the first first-person genre of games has been mostly flooded with generic shooters that aren't special in any way. Recently, that fad has been broken with games like the Elder Scrolls series, and Mirror's Edge. Now, a new game has been announced that breaks this fad once again. This is the awesomeness-to-be that is...SINGULARITY!

Singularity is a first person shooter, but with less emphasis on shooting and more emphasis on a glove you wear on your left hand. This glove is the Time Manipulation Device (TMD). This is a glove, that(surprise, surprise), manipulates time. You will play the game mostly on an island, in 2010 and 1950. Just so that I'm not suspected of copying my information from Wikipedia, here's the Wikipedia page for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singularity_(video_game)

There. So, post and reply.
    Last edited by Polo; June 19th, 2009 at 05:14 PM.
    John Hancock. that was a joke ladies and gentlemen

I think you should emphasize on the fact that it's environmental time manipulation, not general manipulation like seen in TimeShift. The game looks okay, but I have a feeling that it's going to be very linear and that you won't get the chance to be creative.

I feel that it will be quite the contrary. There are four known abilities associated with the TMD.

Revert: This allows the player to rewind an object or human backwards in time. It can be used to repair broken walkways to a new state, revert an empty barrel of oil to a full one. Using it on humans does not, as logic would dictate, revert them to helpless children or infants, or even an agonizing death as they dwindle to mere sperm-and-egg - rather, it reverts them to a 'placental state', merely converting the enemy's model to a fleshy texture and causing their death. Upgrading this causes it to work faster.

Age: This allows the player to fast-forward an object or human through time. It can turn a crate that a group of enemies are using for cover into rotted wood, or turn an iron fence blocking your path into a pile of rust - this can even target shields held by enemies. Using this on an enemy will result in them quickly aging until they are nothing more than bones and dust. Upgrading this causes your targets to age faster.

Stasis: Stasis allows the player to pull an object towards them and freeze it in time. This works similarly to Half-Life 2's Gravity Gun; one key difference is that rather than the object being held by gravity, it is held because its timeline is frozen. This allows the player to, for example, grab a grenade and hold it for as long as they wish, because it will not explode. Upgrading this allows you to pick up heavier objects and pull them to you more quickly.

Pulse: Pulse functions just like the Gravity Gun's Launch function. The targeted object is sent flying violently away. Upgrading this allows it to kill smaller enemies instantly.

With an arsenal like that over your sleeve, you can only imagine what kind of fun you could have.
    Last edited by Rabbi106; June 15th, 2009 at 04:04 PM.

looks awsome. I read an article in EGM, and it looks like you can do some brutal shit with the TMD.
    Like, if you use revert on a human enemy, it turns into a skinless fullgeown fetus looking thing that squirts blood and goo for a few minutes before dying. But it's better than killing kids.
    You can also age stuf that the enemy's hiding behind to reveal them. All in All I think it looks cool, though I'll have to play the game before I can make a real decision.

Delivering the Hurt Killervirus's Avatar

First Person Braid anyone?

Also, I don't think aging a person so he turns into to bones isn't as fun as send him flying through a wall or into other persons (nudgeForceUnleashenudge)

Besides, those four powers aren't that great. It's to scripted. You'll probably use the same powers over and over again, just to crumple things into the same heap over and over again. Might be fun, for a little while, until you know the powers and repetivity kicks in.

But, see, it's not about what you do to kill them, it's what you need to kill in the first place, and what THEY can do. Here are some of the baddies you will come across:

Zeks: human like creatures who can travel through time at will, which causes a problem to fight, as they can dissapear after they strike and never return to the fight.

Hive ticks: small creatures who carry E99 (The time control element, which is an isotope of Einsteinium) in sacks on their backs that look similar to Halo's Flood carrier form.

2010 soilders: modern soilders hired to protect the island who know as little about the island as the player. These are known to fight in small groups.

1950 soilders: past WWII soilders who fight in large groups who provide a different challenge to the player as they can flank and cover fire.

Delivering the Hurt Killervirus's Avatar

Nothing new? The only one that you can counter nicely is the Zek, but even then it's scripted.

I don't know, it all depends on how they make the powers exploitable. For now, the funniest seems to be impulse, and you're supposed to be handling a fuckin' time-machine here.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi106 View Post
    Hello, fellow DQ'ers. Ok, so the first first-person genre of games has been mostly flooded with generic shooters that aren't special in any way. Recently, that fad has been broken with games like the Elder Scrolls series, and Mirror's Edge. Now, a new game has been announced that breaks this fad once again. This is the awesomeness-to-be that is...SINGULARITY!

Singularity is a first person shooter, but with less emphasis on shooting and more emphasis on a glove you wear on your left hand. This glove is the Time Manipulation Device (TMD). This is a glove, that(surprise, surprise), manipulates time. You will play the game mostly on an island, in 2010 and 1950. Just so that I'm not suspected of copying my information from Wikipedia, here's the Wikipedia page for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singularity_(video_game)

There. So, post and reply.
    No. It doesn't break the "fad" you're describing. Its yet another another FPS based around a gimmicky weapon.

The ideas might be fairly original but that doesn't guarantee its going to be good or particularly groundbreaking. Its still a generic FPS which is based around time manipulation which in my experience is going to cause the entire game's plot to be inexplicably strict and or bland, as well as being horrible.

While the concept of turning strong wooden fences that can be shot through into mouldy yucky fences that can still be shot through might be fascinating to some, its merely a way to buy some time in game. I fail to see how it adds any FUN or a groundbreaking strategy to the game.

I'll tell you what. You sit here and make fences rust and hold onto grenades so they don't explode, and I'll go play TF2 and stick real live people to walls with my Bow and Arrow!

I'm not saying that new weapons aren't awesome, but I mean a time travelling glove that can do all sorts of crazy shit thats all been done before (basically). Its a bad example really.

Hmm. Think Bioshock, you had a choice between your plasmids and your regular weapons and you had to strategically choose which ones you would use, etc. Not to mention the whole place was incredibly well themed and the storyline was very unique and engaging. It was very clever into tricking you into doing things and even gave you the moral choice yourself.

I don't think I remember playing a game that meddled with time travel and wasn't shit (actually, I just remembered that WoW has the Caverns of Time. They weren't horrible, but then again its not really a huge part of the game so it doesn't really matter. Plus that game has SO much other stuff it actually really doesn't matter lol). It might not be horrible if you stay in a particular timeline for a while, but if you have to swap back and forth it looses its credibility. Also upgrading the device while in 1950 or whatever would also be pretty stupid.

All in all this game looks quite boring and generic and quite possibly like the emo kid who tries to be different to just get attention.

edit: Shit I wasted my 2000th post on this thread!? noooooooooooooo
    Last edited by Netrosis; June 18th, 2009 at 11:07 AM. Reason: lol rawr ';..;'

Majora's Mask was an excellent game, thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Net View Post
    edit: Shit I wasted my 2000th post on this thread!? noooooooooooooo
    Well, at least you know better once you get to your 3000th post...
    A picture may say a thousand words, but a thousand words can paint one beautiful picture.

Oh well....I think it looks awesome. And I'm sorry about the 2000'th post thing, Net. It sucks that you wasted such a huge accomplishment on a criticism. Well, at least you can take solace in the fact that I'm just as sad that you don't like the game as you're sad that you wasted your 2000'th post on this thread.