Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default A guide to new members

Well, I've always said that the youth of today is the people that will be f^#! you in the rear tomorrow, so here's a guide to new members.

General posting rules
    *Read and follow the rules. This is the first and foremost thing I can say.
    *Don't overuse formatting. Using bold to emphasis stuff is fine, but don't go overboard. Try to stay away from size stuff unless you really need it.
    *Caps lock is bad. Really. Don't do it. Just don't.
    *Quick posts with no merit, like "cool" or "ok" aren't needed. If you don't have anything to contribute to the discussion, don't say anything.
    *Don't double post, don't bump, don't revive old threads.
    *Your post count doesn't matter. We respect you for who you are, not the little number beneath your posts.
    *It's OK to be sarcastic and cynical, as I usually am, but don't be rude and insulting towards other members. Remember, even if it is a joke, you still need to respect fellow members.
    *If you're making an argument, try to keep posts to a one paragraph minimum. This allows members to have good debates, instead of random contests of profanity and British style humor.
    *Signatures need to be within the rules requirements. It takes away from the forum if your sig is bigger than your post.
    *Google is your friend. Search before asking.
    *Beware of some of the senior members. I don't particularly like this fact, but people on DQ can become very vicious at times. Don't get offended when they do get on you. Just learn from it and consider it next time you say something stupid. We've all been there.

Spelling and grammar
    *Use correct spelling and grammar please. It just looks better, and makes my head not hurt. It's a pet peeve of mine.
    *Use apostrophes, periods, question marks, exclamation point, ect. when needed.
    *Capitalize at beginning of sentences.
    *It's OK to use slang, but using "u" instead of "you" is a bit much. I'm fine with acronyms.
    *Check your spelling. I advise using Firefox, as it has an automatic spell checker.
    *Typing like "1 gotz m4dd sk1lzz" is not cool. Just don't do it.

Showoff Forum Tips
    GUIDE AND RULES
    *When doing work, put effort into it. We don't want to see some crap that you threw together in fifteen minutes. Put work into it, and you will be rewarded.
    *If your work isn't good, you don't have to post it. Even if you did put lots of work into it, maybe it just isn't up to par. Remember, you don't have to post it.
    *Don't take it hard when other DQ members criticize your work. We're just trying to help. Or at least most of us are. Unless you post a piece of crap, in which case it's pretty much a shooting range, with a big target painted on you. Sorry.
    *When posting a thread, use [tags]. Just look at the showoff forum page for examples.
    *Give a lot of information on any upcoming project. This is cool:

Quote Originally Posted by Thread Maker
    Hi guys, I'm currently working on a flash animation called Project Cyprus. I don't want to reveal too much about the storyline, but it's set in the near future and follows the protagonist Eli Mathews. Eli is a worker for a large pharmaceutical company who discovers a conspiracy amongst the CEOs and shareholders, which could prove fatal for a large population of the world.

Here are some screenshots: Pic1, Pic2, etc.

I've been animating for about 4 years and this is my first big project. I'm hoping to have a trailer released in the next month or two, depending on production progress. Please feel free to ask questions and critique, I'd like this to be as good as I can make it.
    This, on the other hand, is a very bad example:

Yeah, so I'm making an animation right now. It doens't have a title but it involves fighting and lots of blood. It'll be done when I can be bothered starting it.
    *A good rule of thumb is using at least two decent sized paragraphs for any thread started, and preferably a screenshot or two.

General DQ personality tips
    *DQ is generally a sarcastic and cynical place. Most of our senior members are that way.
    *Don't say anything stupid. You will get made fun of.
    *When you do get made fun of, don't take it too hard. this will happen. A lot.
    *Try to adapt to the situation. Don't try to be a white knight., but don't try to cause conflicts. Sometimes it's best to go with the flow.
    *Remember, this is a very different social situation than real life or Facebook. Hang around, and you'll get the way things work pretty quick. Lurk moar.

Tips for not getting infractions
    *Don't insult other members outright. It's ok to make funny jokes, as long as it's in a funny, joking manner, but saying "f%$# you" is a bit much. Remember, even if it is a joke, you still need to respect fellow members.
    *Don't backseat moderate. Saying "lock plz" on a thread you think needs locking is a common mistake. Don't try to enforce the rules yourself; if there's a problem, report it.
    *Don't post on spam threads. Just let them be.
    *Don't go off topic or spam. This usually is from jokes taken to far. Keep in mind the boundaries. What is spam is decided by the mods and/or the admin.
    *Don't argue wiht the mods. This is a deathwish. You're not ever going to get anywhere, and an infraction is NOT the end of the world.

DQ Entertainment Section
    *I would like to emphasize one thing. RPGs are thought out, long processes that take dedication. First posts of RPGs should be no less than three paragraphs, and normal posts should be no less than one.

Quote Originally Posted by Paraphrasing
    Then, the kind of RPGing done here. Text based.
    Pretty simple, everything you say and do is written in text form! You help build a world through words. Most people aren't prepared to use their imagination to give characters personality and actually describe what does not exist through plain text. It demands passion and therefor you better be prepared to put some time aside.

The tips & rules for DQ.
    Now, as stated before, I have written rules about how we do it here at DQ.

Tips & rules for everyone:

1: If you wish to create a RPG, you do not post it on the forum at once.

2. No more than 6 active RPGs. --

3. Do. Not. Rush.

4. Be creative and open!

5. Don’t be afraid! If RPGs are a bit new to you, don’t be scared to not try it.

Tips & rules for the Game Mod (GM):

1. You need to build up a RPG that works. To do this you’ll need the following:
    - A Background story
    - Information about the world.
    - A character sheet your players can copy and paste to fill out.

2. Be organized.

3. Be a good example.

4. A role playing game is an experience, not a game.

Tips & rules for the player:

1. No clichés.

2. Be realistic.

3. Be fair.

4. No plot elements.

5. No character control.

6. Play point-of-view.

7. Don’t create a character you can’t handle.

8. Be devoted!
    Useful Websites
    *Google.com, everyone's favorite search engine.
    *Urbandictionary.com. Don't know an acronym or a term? Look it up over there.
    *Newgrounds.com. Pretty much the biggest flash, audio, and art community on the web. Watch out for the forum, though. Those guys are worse then /b/. Speaking of which...
    *4Chan.org, particularly /b/. This is the purest, yet most evil depths of the internet that normal users will ever find. I don't advise posting there unless you're experienced. A warning, there is HIGHLY explicit content on there, and you WILL be offended. Just saying.
    *Photobucket.com and Imageshack.com, websites for image hosting. After you upload your image, they'll give you a code. Just post that code with image tags, which look like [img]image address[/img] Without the "x".
    *Facebook.com, great social networking site. Most people between the ages of 10-30 in the US are on there. You should be able to find people from work, school, whatever.

How Do I...
    Q: Make cool animations?
    A: Oscar used Adobe flash for most of his work. Although there is a free trial availble for that program, it costs lots of money for the actual program. A lot of people start out with Pivot Stick Figure. Google them.

Q: Edit audio?
    A: There's a great free audio editing tool called Audacity out there. You will also need LAME MP3 Encoder to export MP3s. Also Google those.

Q: Edit images?
    A: ther'e s a number image editing programs out there, but GIMP is probably the most advanced and useful free one out there. If you've got cash, go for Photoshop or Flash.

Q: Post images/links/videos?
    A: To post an image, upload the image using an image uploading site (Photobucket, Imageshack, Tinypic), or right click on the image, go to properties, and copy the image code. Past this between [IMG]and[/IMG]. To post a link, copy the link and post it like so: [xURL="Link"]Text that displays as a link[/URL] Without the x

To post a video, [xvideo]youtube link here[/video] wihtout hte x.

Any questions? Ask away!

Disclaimer: Most of the stuff here is opinion, and not rule. Still a good idea to follow, though.
    Last edited by Silence; November 17th, 2010 at 06:06 PM.

Banned

DQ Net
    Stickied!

Thanks for this Silence. I'm not sure whether to merge it into the introduce yourself thread or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Net View Post
    DQ Net
    Stickied!

Thanks for this Silence. I'm not sure whether to merge it into the introduce yourself thread or not.
    Feel free to do whatever you want. Thanks for the stickie!

DQ 1337 Member ...I'm not telling you!'s Avatar

Wow, this is like something a mod would post, nice guide dude

Quote Originally Posted by ...I'm not telling you! View Post
    Wow, this is like something a mod would post, nice guide dude
    Thanks! Anything you think should be added?

DQ 1337 Member ...I'm not telling you!'s Avatar

Hmmm...i guess like, specifiying the difference between Spamming, and bordering it. You know like, you know saying
    'I'm gonna poke you with a screw driver' is Spam, and what the limit of conversations are before they actually reach that area

Quote Originally Posted by ...I'm not telling you! View Post
    Hmmm...i guess like, specifiying the difference between Spamming, and bordering it. You know like, you know saying
    'I'm gonna poke you with a screw driver' is Spam, and what the limit of conversations are before they actually reach that area
    Ok, thanks.

Formerly Tymedi

Let's just hope new members would take the time to read this.

Rude and arrogant! But why? Flashlight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    Let's just hope new members would take the time to read this.
    Don't worry I'm sure they will! They never do...

Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    Showoff Forum Tips
    *When doing work, but effort into it.
    Pssst! fix!

Great guide, really useful. :p

Yeah, they probably won't, but it's always good to be available.

Good guide. The new members will read this...I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by theone! View Post
    Good guide. The new members will read this...I hope.
    Thanks!

Good guide, new members should try and read this.
    "When drawn and talk of peace. I hate the word as I hate Hell, all Montagues, and thee. Have at thee coward!" Tybalt, Romeo and Juliet act 1 scene 1

This guide is excellent. Hope the new members take a glance at this (Even though we know they won't)
    I'm a member of the Midnight Crew.

Maybe you could emphasize more on what's being rude and what could be considered a joking manner because there will be those that will take that to there own context.

-Proverbs 17:17 :)

Quote Originally Posted by ResonanceSoul View Post
    Maybe you could emphasize more on what's being rude and what could be considered a joking manner because there will be those that will take that to there own context.
    Ok. Thanks!

i am 12 and wat is this? Diplomacy Domination Victory Aval's Avatar

Ahem. I do believe I am a cynic also... ¬¬
    Quote Originally Posted by Polo View Post
    why the fuck can i never find what I'm after this is so gay

Quote Originally Posted by Aval View Post
    Ahem. I do believe I am a cynic also... ¬¬
    Added.

i am 12 and wat is this? Diplomacy Domination Victory Aval's Avatar

Ahahahahahahaaaa. It's good to be bad.

Yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Polo View Post
    why the fuck can i never find what I'm after this is so gay

Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post

Spelling and grammar
    *Use correct spelling and grammar please. It just looks better, and makes my head not hurt. It's a pet peeve of mine.
    *Use apostrophes, periods, question marks, exclamation point, ect. when needed.
    *Capitalize at beginning of sentences
    *It's OK to use slang, but using "u" instead of "you" is a bit much. I'm fine with acronyms.
    *Check your spelling. I advise using Firefox, as it has an automatic spell checker.
    And it makes you look like a smart person ;)
    proper english is FTW
    Last edited by codbarley; May 19th, 2009 at 10:18 PM.

Boy um well nice. It just shows that i should be ban.
    I mean i am not nice. I make fun of people all the time.
    I call people names all the time for retarded reason.
    And i flame any one who does not spell my name right by ether doing all caps. or does one X upper case one X lower case.

Quote Originally Posted by XdbX View Post
    Boy um well nice. It just shows that i should be ban.
    I mean i am not nice. I make fun of people all the time.
    Same here.
    "Bitches wit they own shit, we don' like golddiggers."
    -Bryson Tiller

Don't provoke them.

Hey, thanks for this, Silence. I actually found it useful. Keep doing your thing.
    DQ's medical advisor.
    "What is food to one is to others bitter poison" - Titus Lucretius Carus