Register

Thread: Dear DQ

Default Dear DQ

Dear DQers,

I started this website in my teenage years back in 2005 without any deeper purpose for it, apart from simply having a place on the internet to call my own and to showcase my creations. Mainly flash animations and some art work. To my surprise people actually found their way here and a bit further on, the Castle series came into existence and along with it more members found our small but dear community. I was sixteen back then, I'm getting close to my thirties now.

Tomorrow DQ turns twelve. It's somewhat hard to grasp that DQ is more than a decade old website! Life really has changed during those years, not only for me I imagine. I think the trend here is that the older I became, the less attention and time I gave the website. I was always under the impression that the site would be around forever anyways, so leaving for periods here and there wouldn't matter. But I've finally realized that there's little to no point in running a website which I don't give the proper attention or love it deserves. I have other priorities in life nowadays, and it's hard to imagine that will change in the near future.

I'm still sometimes mind-boggled by the fact that the community kind of maintained itself for so long. Especially by the fact that some of you guys actually became so tight you decided to meet up in real life on multiple occasions. I can't be sure of course, but I imagine we have members here who will keep in touch with each other in one way or another for many years to come.

Dear DQ - This is where we part. All things come to an end, and I think we had a good run. I've always said I'll keep the place running for as long as people actually keep showing up and keep showing an interest in the forums and I did. I'd like to extend my deepest gratitude to all of you who made this place be, it wouldn't have lasted this long without you. I'd also like to thank a few members in particular for showing an extra interest in the site for times on and off.

Victory, we've had our bright moments and beefs, but in the end you were always fair and incredibly supportive in both my personal and life and helpful in my strive to achieve great animation and creative works. Thanks man, you rock.

Killing_Time, you really kept the place going for periods of my absence and managed to encourage the community into participating in various contests and creations. And I'll always remember your fantastic genuine support during dark times in my personal life. Thank you.

Drunky, I think I've known you the longest of all, although at first not through DQ. We don't really talk too much nowadays but I think we share some really good memories together and I'm happy you migrated to DQ when you did. Thanks for all (and for the Discord initiative!)

Ecfor, oh man you busted your ass of in those character bios. I'm surprised you never gave up on me. You're also a great giver of critique whenever I had something I thought was cool to show. We had good personal talks as well and I appreciate especially your Deviant-art page initiative and Castle arts. Thank you!

Polo, man you're a great guy. I don't even remember when you found DQ but I know it would not have been the same without you. Thanks.

Calvey, back in the days and even to the end you were a helpful friend both in terms of voice acting, FAQ, character bios and general site maintenance. Thanks man.

Netrosis, yes I'd like to thank you as as well in case you even see this. I know we parted ways in the worst kind of circumstances but I'll always be thankful for your passion in the site during the early years and helped make the site to what it was. Thanks and good luck in your life however it looks lately.

Varth & Wadling, we never spoke much directly, but I know you guys have been key figures in the site and various community "come togethers". Thank you!

I have other names too, especially old timers and it's a bit lengthy to name you all, hope you don't mind but I'm sure you know who you are. Thanks a lot for being a part of the site!

So what happens now? The plan is to close/archive the forums soon, but I'll keep them open a few weeks longer for you guys to say good bye to the site or share your personal DQ story. I'd appreciate that. The site's hosting has been paid for already and will expire October next year. Until then I'll probably keep the site itself running just for the Castle info, animations and what not. After that I'm unsure. I'm pretty sure I'll keep the domain name despite the site being up or not, just in case I'd like to revive it in the future or something. You never know.

And by now I'm sure one of the biggest questions now is: What about Castle IV? Sadly I must admit I have not produced anything new for the past six months or so because of the same reasons I'm closing the site. Life looked different about three years ago when I decided to pursue it. I'm putting it under the official state "on hold" for an unknown future. There's too much work in it for me to simply throw it away at this point. Yet, there's so much work to get it done that I can't see it happening soon in this production rate, and I've already decided not to involve other people in the production. In theory, I could prioritize all my free time into making it, but there's no reward, true purpose or light at the end of the tunnel in doing so. And the sacrifice of family time and being a dad is just unrealistic and undesired. I'm already working full time as a 3D artist too so there's no motivation to land a job or anything. What's left is my passion for the nostalgia, Castle-story and love of animation. I'm sorry to say but that's not enough right now. I hope I won't disappoint too many of you.

That's it folks! Sad news but cheer up, you can all still stay in touch with the community and myself in the discord channel. You all take care now!

- Oscar Johansson

It's been a hell of a ride. Still regret being the brat I was back in the day, but oh well.
    I'll keep my stickfigure persona as my avatar in your honor.
    o7
    Feel free to visit my small part of the universe.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Dilly890

Well, it was a good run. 12 years is not forgettable, even though the last two years have seen a steep decline in activity. I'll always fondly remember the 2011-2013 DQ when activity was at its highest at my time. Met many great people here, many of them helped me as well in my own dark times. One of the best communities I've been in.
    Knowledge is power - and power is hilarious

Twelve freaking years.
    We all should be really proud of ourselves – especially you Oscar <3

I think I mentioned this a couple times in the past already but man I owed DQ so much. Finding this site was the point where I started diving into the English-speaking/major part of the internet – which, as far as I know, still quite isn’t a common thing in my place – and it eventually spiraled into to me socializing mostly in the English-speaking communities even more so than real life. Life would have been VERY different had I not found this place.

Still, being stuck on the opposite side of the earth means it’s unlikely I’ll ever get to meet most of you in real life(which is a little fortunate for me since I’m still terrible at making coherent conversations in English). I’m not good at joining discussions but I am so glad I was a(n albeit very small) part of this amazing journey. It is truly a good run.

Aw geez I’m starting to get a little emotional
    Last edited by Tyle; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:43 PM.
    [The Whale Fins] is now live!
    Read here or over at deviantArt

Tyle had informed me about this news and I thought I might as well drop by. While there were a few bumps on the road during my time on DQ, this community has been a great influence to me during my teenage years. Honestly? If it wasn't for certain old mistakes, I wouldn't have pursued writing and art as a creative outlet. This community was my first proper steps in having online friends. Many of whom are still dear to me and I remember fondly.

There were times when I was thinking of making a return to the community after I left but hesitation got to me time and time again. And now it's too late. So all I can do is say my farewells to a good and important chunk of my life and to the people here who assisted me in shaping the man that I became today.

And so, thank you for everything DQ, and to you Oscar.

I'm getting kinda teary eyed right now I love this community and I wish I could've been a part of this place during the early years. But I'm glad I found it eventually during my high school years, and I couldn't comprehend life without it. Still can't.
    I found my passion for art and animation through Castle, and the people here kept me floating through the harshest storms.

Thank you Oscar for bringing your vision to life. It's been an amazing five years since I first joined, and many happy memories of my life came from this place <3

(Also take as long a break as you need on Castle's production, you have a lot on your plate and making an animation is hard enough, especially alone.)

Man, I even remember joining, back in 2005. Those were the days.

But I'm happy to have had this in my life. No reason to be sad.
    It's been real, people. I've (we've) had some great times around these forums. One of the friendliest communities that I've ever been a part of, no doubt.
    Thank you all.

And thank you, Oscar, for making this all possible.
    You're a talented guy, don't ever waste that. We can only hope for that last Castle part, but don't force it.
    Also, great to hear that you're doing good in life, man!

See you on Discord.
    -I seek indulgence, not compulsion.-

I found DQ after a frantic search for more of Oscarís animations, having burned myself out on the Castle series from watching it regularly on stickpage for several months. DQ was the first time Iíd ever seen a chat forum, and as much as I craved being a part of it, the concept of introducing myself to an online community terrified me. I lurked off and on until 2015, and even once I got the nerve to make an account I didnít post a whole lot, but I did enjoy the times I did.

The RPGís were a blast to read through, even though I donít really care for participating in them. World Without Wind is going to stick with me forever. I donít know how you do it Varthonai. The music Ducky, Tobu, and Cody posted got me into writing my own stuff. Particularly that Castle Overture that Ducky made for the 10th anniversary contest. That thing was incredible.

I'll definitely never forget about Castle. I loved all the classics like Killing Spree, Apache, and Xiao Xiao, but Castle stands out to me. The animation was smooth, it actually had shading, and the world felt immersive. I still get the same chills whenever I watch Repercussions B (I actually stopped typing for a few minutes there to go rewatch it).

Iím sad to see the site go. Itís a decadeís worth of history and a whole community disappearing, but Iím happy that its legacy can still live on through the discord. Thank you Oscar. Without you most of us would have never known each other.
    I made a Shinoi.

This site is proof that “Online Friends” are real life friends.

With that said, it’s a shame to see so many loose ends now that we’re at the end. Castle IV is left in limbo, DQ Chronicles faded away, we never got to see if Claire made 1000 paper cranes, Redhand 2 was left unfinished, and so on.
    Last edited by Ivyn; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:12 AM.
    Ain't no party

Kinda shocking to me that I've been around (at least in a lurking state) for nearly 2/3rds the site's history. I remember my first two years here being by far the biggest kid around. Shit, I guess I might just have to get on that Discord after all. Too many of you people mean too much to me for it to just end.

I made this account 7 years ago and for the next 3 years after, maybe a bit longer I was here every day. I posted almost every day during that time and even though I didn't get along well with a few of the people on here I had a really good time.

I played with some of you on steam, I tried to play dnd with some of you through skype without having any idea about RPGs or even having a microphone, I remember the Castle Marathon we did to Celebrate Repercussions, I remember attempting to build the Castle itself in Minecraft (I still have that world and look at it from time to time) and I remember that I wasn't actually that easy to be around with on the forums.
    I kind of ended up feeling isolated, which was my own fault. And even feeling like that I still checked in here every now and then, without logging in. This page has been my Browser homepage ever since I made that account in 2010, even though I stopeed logging in, even though I stopped posting or talking to the people I met here it still feels like my home on the internet. I'm sad to see it go, but I think everyone knew this was coming.

I am not someone who is good at keeping in contact with people, not even with the people I like and get along with, which is why I slowly disappeared from the site and from everything else. I am thinking about joining the discord with the rest of you guys, but I don't know whether I would do it for nostalgia and whether I'd ever even say a word on there.

So I guess this means goodbye for good,

farewell DQ, I kind of loved you.
    music is what keeps me alive
    my deviantart

It is kind of incredible how much this site did for all of these stickfigure-movie watching kids all around the world!

Back in 2008, I was one of them and was digging through everthing there was to find on the internet until I found what I nowadays consider the holy grail of "stick figure" animation.
    Castle had everything- mystery, action, humour and lovable characters. Somehow, it left so much of an impression on me that I could not stop checking up on this forum, even after I pretty much did not post anything anymore.
    Whenever I think of my teenage years, this Forum pops up sooner or later, and all of these people that I barely knew.
    All I knew was, that we all loved what the Castle Series represented as an Art form, and so I felt a kind of connection that has been almost unique to this day.
    It is sad that it has to end, but I strongly believe that the Castle Legacy will live on for a long time. After all, its on the internet ;).

Many greetings to everyone I once had closer contact with. Sorry for not saying goodbye back then.

At least this occasion leaves me with the opportunity to say "Goodbye" this time.
    I will always remember my teenage years with DQ and you crazy bunch in mind.
    Life goes on forever, you see it each spring.

Oscar, is there any other websites you are on/going to be on for work related purposes? I'm kind of interested in following you if you choose to plant your stuff somewhere else as a kind of archive/portfolio; if not thats cool too i was jw

anyway what else is there to say other than this is pretty sad news but not surprising! sad to see it go but thankful for what its done
    Carpe natibus.

Thanks for sharing folks!

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    Oscar, is there any other websites you are on/going to be on for work related purposes? I'm kind of interested in following you if you choose to plant your stuff somewhere else as a kind of archive/portfolio; if not thats cool too i was jw
    Sure! Hm, all my channels are sort of in-active but just for future reference:
    www.oscarjohansson.com <- Everything is more than three years old. Will update it.
    https://www.youtube.com/oscarjohansson
    https://twitter.com/deletionquality
    https://www.facebook.com/DeletionQuality/

DQ 1337 Member ...I'm not telling you!'s Avatar

Sad to see it come to this, but I understand, and I'm sure everyone else does. With the Discord established, it's fair timing as well. It's the community that matters most, and while I know the forum itself matters to most of us as well, you'll all still be able interact with each other as the same community -- and without the weighty restriction that comes with a forum =P. I know I've not been a part of this community for a long time now, and that I left on a frustrated note, but I had a lot of good times on here back in 2009 and 2010 days thanks to most of the community. This was my first forum experience, and talking with a lot of you guys was tremendously fun, even though most of those people aren't present any more. I really hope that all of you make sure to stay close even in the face of this, and keep the community going on Discord.

And thanks for Castle, Oscar. Even if you don't ever conclude it, I still appreciate what you did make to bits. Back in '09-11, I watched all of the episodes far more than makes sense to me now -- even Castle 1 =P. Sorry to hear it's something you might have to consider letting go of, but the series as it is means a lot to your community, so I hope you're thoroughly proud of it all the same.

INTY, I'll never forget our awesome RPs and general shenanigans. Miss you, friend. Hope you're doing good.
    Knowledge is power - and power is hilarious

A bit sad to see it close down, but understandable. I'll pop in on discord every now and then ^^

DQ 1337 Member

I remember when I first discovered this forum, and I got so hooked to it, literally refreshing the page for several weeks just to hear more about you guys.

As time went by, the interest faded, but I never forgot about it, and I always came back for a little bit just to catch up with the people here, from every part of the world.

I got to know some cool ass russian, german, slovenian, swedish and english people, at least from those I can easily remember, but I know there are more of you than I can recall with whom I had a great time.

I also want to thank everyone for taking, at the very least, a tiny role during my adolescence and (now) young adulthood. You guys are the best, and I've always looked up to every single one of you, because you were so different than me, that I was certain (and still am) that I could learn a thing or two from you.

Some things end, and some begin, it doesn't matter, because we all took part in this forum.

In case I never get to talk to any of you again, I wish you the very best, good luck!

Here's to you, DQ.

After being there for so long, I don't think I have it in me to delete the DQ bookmark.

Also, since the forum is closing and there's going to be little to no consequence for shitposting...

You guys? I stole the cookie from the cookie jar.
    Ain't no party