Register

Thread: Deep Red

a distant citadel overlooking a monument at sea

Default Deep Red

can you call 3 tracks that total to like 13 minutes an "EP?"

click on the image for Deep Red.
    Meet Hot Singles Standing Right Behind You

This is some pretty legit stuff. My thoughts on each track:

1. Orpiment: This is a nice opening, although I think I would of liked it more if it had just been the purely ambient/industrial sounds. In fact, it probably would have been my fave track if purely ambient. As they are, the guitar licks and vocals are good, but I think clash just a bit with the understated industrial and ambient noises. Although, the guitar licks did give me pleasant flashbacks to Salt and Sanctuary.

2. Realgar: Probably my favorite track of the three. The frenetic electronic sound just sound so fucking perfect. I can't really describe it.

3. Cinnabar: Probably my least favorite of the three, sad to say. I just can't help but think [D A R U D E S A N D S T O R M] from 0:30 on. I think, just in my opinion, it falls in the same hole as Orpiment by having this super nice, chill, melancholy ambient opening that clashes with the rest of the track.

a distant citadel overlooking a monument at sea

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-L View Post
    1. Orpiment:
    I was actually more worried when making it that the ambient bits would come across as more of an intrusion on the pace of the album. I hadn't really considered it the other way around, but it makes sense.

2. Realgar:
    Thanks! This is the most developed of all of the tracks by a long shot. I've actually done two versions, and not being happy with the first one is what caused me to do the rest of this.

3. Cinnabar:
    It's funny you should say that because at some point when it felt way too late to completely reconstruct the instrument i realized that that did sound a lot like the gated synth from Sandstorm. I listened to that a lot as a kid because Stepmania. I agree that Cinnabar is the weak link here, though.

guitar licks

I've also significantly understated the influence playing mirror's edge recently has had on my faster-paced music
    Meet Hot Singles Standing Right Behind You