Register

Default All you video editors out there, your advice is needed

Hi guys, I have an assignment due that's supposed to display a perfect mix of edited audio and video. I have never edited a video before, so this is my first attempt. I'm completely lost, and I'm pretty sure this is bad. I couldn't manage to remove the background crickets and noise from most of the clips because I don't know how, or my attempts were just shoddy.

Any advice on making this better? Forgive the content, but I used the footage and audio I had on my PC.

Last edited by Filofal; October 24th, 2016 at 04:10 PM.
    The most solid block will still fall if supported by a table with uneven legs.

there's no video. Whats the video, the premise, the editing software, and the criteria? I can help but i need more info.

Quote Originally Posted by codbarley View Post
    there's no video. Whats the video, the premise, the editing software, and the criteria? I can help but i need more info.
    Huh, is the Vimeo link not working? Here it is, just in case: https://vimeo.com/188614698

So basically for this assignment, we had to show basic competency in overlaying audio upon video and making the rudimentary cuts and edits to ensure that every frame and split clip transitioned smoothly. I'm not confident that what I've created is good enough though, because there's still some very clear issues with the musical audio running concurrently with the source video's audio.

I'm using basic software, Wondershare Filmora.

I'm not sure what you're hearing but everything looks and sounds fine to me. The only issue I have is that the overall audio is a little too quiet.

I'm not sure what you're hearing but everything looks and sounds fine to me. The only issue I have is that the overall audio is a little too quiet.
    I'm listening with earphones to make sure everything is precise, but I'm hearing crickets with the farm clips. The audio isn't consistent. I muted the scenes involving the road because they had loud noise, but unfortunately, this seems to accentuate the noise in the farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Filofal View Post
    I'm listening with earphones to make sure everything is precise, but I'm hearing crickets with the farm clips. The audio isn't consistent. I muted the scenes involving the road because they had loud noise, but unfortunately, this seems to accentuate the noise in the farm.
    I can't think of how often Hollywood makes their shit inconsistent. Oh yeah, Thats right. They very rarely get that right. Most movies and trailers have the audio go really low, and then really high and dialogue is all over the place, when it should be at a consistent volume throughout the film, regardless of them yelling or whispering.That can be done very quickly and easily with some overdubbing.

The point is, this... trailer? you put together is just as professionally made as one made in an actual film studio. I literally can't tell the difference.

I can't think of how often Hollywood makes their shit inconsistent. Oh yeah, Thats right. They very rarely get that right. Most movies and trailers have the audio go really low, and then really high and dialogue is all over the place, when it should be at a consistent volume throughout the film, regardless of them yelling or whispering.That can be done very quickly and easily with some overdubbing.

The point is, this... trailer? you put together is just as professionally made as one made in an actual film studio. I literally can't tell the difference.
    Okay, whew, I'm really relieved to hear that, actually. But I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and this isn't due until Wednesday, so I'm still going to try and work on it. I appreciate your help.

So the volume of the audio is pretty much the only glaring flaw?

yeah I can barely hear anything with the volume all the way up on my computer. If you want to fix the crickets, try putting a De-Esser plugin on the audio tracks with crickets, and then find the frequency they are the most prominent. A De-Esser is basically a notch filter. it cuts a very narrow range of frequencies out of the mix. It should cut out the crickets almost entirely while leaving the dialogue intact. Not sure if your program has a De-Esser though.

Now that I've got the headphones, I'm now hearing some extra noise at 0:26 too. sounds like you've got 2 copies of the same audio track layered on top of itself for a few seconds.
    Last edited by codbarley; October 24th, 2016 at 01:00 PM.

yeah I can barely hear anything with the volume all the way up on my computer. If you want to fix the crickets, try putting a De-Esser plugin on the audio tracks with crickets, and then find the frequency they are the most prominent. A De-Esser is basically a notch filter. it cuts a very narrow range of frequencies out of the mix. It should cut out the crickets almost entirely while leaving the dialogue intact. Not sure if your program has a De-Esser though.

Now that I've got the headphones, I'm now hearing some extra noise at 0:26 too. sounds like you've got 2 copies of the same audio track layered on top of itself for a few seconds.
    I think that Filmora has a simpler form of a de-esser; noise cancellation. I've been using it to the max, but the crickets and the jarring environmental buzzing is still there unfortunately.

I can't hear the double that you are though. Here's a screen of what I have:

I think that Filmora has a simpler form of a de-esser; noise cancellation. I've been using it to the max, but the crickets and the jarring environmental buzzing is still there unfortunately.

I can't hear the double that you are though. Here's a screen of what I have:
    hmmm. must be in the original film clip.

hmmm. must be in the original film clip.
    Well, I presented this to my professor this morning, super nervous and apologetic, but he said that it was fine, and that all I had to do was work on better transitions, since some were too closely cut when people had just finished speaking.

Thank you for your help Barley. I really don't think I could have made the final thing without your advice and encouragement.

Well, I presented this to my professor this morning, super nervous and apologetic, but he said that it was fine, and that all I had to do was work on better transitions, since some were too closely cut when people had just finished speaking.

Thank you for your help Barley. I really don't think I could have made the final thing without your advice and encouragement.
    No problem man. Went to school for multimedia. familiar with all that jazz. I didn't say anything about the transitions because media instructors usually don't give that much of a shit. Sounds like i was right and he was cool about it.