Register

Thread: My 3D work

Default My 3D work

So recently I started to focus more on 3D design rather than Gimp and Photoshop. I really found 3D extremely addicting and fun to work with. I use Blender and Mudbox mostly for my work and I still have a long road to learn and master the programs. Although Blender isn't used a lot in the industry, I still find it quite very under rated. Its quite a powerful program and its free!

Anyhow I wanted to show off some of the images I did for school projects using 3D work. I am happy to hear criticism as well and opinions.

These were a part of a Narrative assignment I had for school. I designed the characters, locations, weapons and stuff like that using Blender and Mudbox. Here are just a small number of these scenes. I have many more sceneshots of this project, but because of the image count, I'll keep it brief :3.

These two images were created for different projects. The first one was used to "betray" the viewer. I wanted to create that "the more you look at it, the darker it gets" feel. The second one, I created a simple interior scene and then I distorted the objects (the assignment theme was encryption).

And here are just some of my personal work.

I still have a long way ahead to master these programs like I said. Right now I'm focusing on creating realistic materials and textures. Just recently I learned about PBR materials that help to create much more realistic reflections. I want to learn rigging and animating as well when I get the time. But right now, I'll focus on modeling and sculpting.

Nice work.

I'm a bit of a blenderer, though being self taught I'm not as good as I'd like yet. Pretty impressed with those humanoids, have never been able to master them myself.

I think the armour on the 'raptor' and 'ginger' models is a bit too pristine. It may have been the look you were going for, but personally I think it would be more convincing if you have some scuff marks and some scratches to break up the reflections, or perhaps some slightly different tones other than just complete gunmetal.

Also, some of the objects on the shelf in the image of the room don't look quite right, perhaps mixing some diffuse in with the gloss would help things. It may be that you have done the image in blender render, whereas I find cycles to better for that sort of scene if you wish to achieve photo-realism.

[EDIT:] oh, and lastly, those trees may look better with snow rising slightly around their trunks, rather than just protruding straight up without affecting the snow around them. Sculpting would make this easy. (I know I have picked out a lot, but there is much good stuff too.)

The 'node wrangler' add-on should help with your workflow if you don't already use it.
    Last edited by theshadow869; June 23rd, 2016 at 01:50 PM.
    Don't get me started on escalators- or I may have to take steps...

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow869 View Post
    Nice work.

I'm a bit of a blenderer, though being self taught I'm not as good as I'd like yet. Pretty impressed with those humanoids, have never been able to master them myself.

I think the armour is a bit too pristine. It may have been the look you were going for, but personally I think it would be more convincing if you have some scuff marks and some scratches to break up the reflections, or perhaps some slightly different tones other than just complete gunmetal.

Also, some of the objects on the shelf in the image of the room don't look quite right, perhaps mixing some diffuse in with the gloss would help things. It may be that you have done the image in blender render, whereas I find cycles to better for that sort of scene if you wish to achieve photo-realism.
    Actually the model don't have textures. That's why they have that "super glossy" look. I wanted to give them textures but I didn't have enough time to add textures for them, thus I just placed a place holder material instead.

For the objects on the shelf, The problem for that was that I only mixed a diffuse shader with a glossy shader. Although the material would be "passable" for plastic, I had to add a Fresnel shader to make the reflections much more realistic. (I use cycles as well).

That rifle's magazine position is all wrong. It would be near impossinle to comfortably hold it like this and reload. Basically, the magazine is too close to the grip. Grip itself seems very uncomfortable as well. I suggest you look at this for reference
    https://www.google.si/search?q=l86&c...w=1536&bih=755
    Knowledge is power - and power is hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by Shinoi View Post
    That rifle's magazine position is all wrong. It would be near impossinle to comfortably hold it like this and reload. Basically, the magazine is too close to the grip. Grip itself seems very uncomfortable as well. I suggest you look at this for reference
    https://www.google.si/search?q=l86&c...w=1536&bih=755
    Yea you're right there. To be honest I tried to strech the magazine part further away from the grip, but it started to become way to out of proportion (butt stock way to distant from the grip). Thus to fix this, I had to re-model that part from the ground up and I didn't have enough time to arrange that for my assignment. Thanks by the way for the criticism!

You're welcome! I don't have much to add on other images, I'm no 3D artist, but I think some images look too... plasticy, I should say. Especially the first interior one. Something just gives me an odd feeling I can't exactly put my finger to. I like the winter scene, though.
    Knowledge is power - and power is hilarious

A new image I worked on. I took the idea from a very old image I did using GIMP. Personally I do find the materials slightly off but on the whole I'm quite pleased with the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Shadow View Post
    A new image I worked on. I took the idea from a very old image I did using GIMP. Personally I do find the materials slightly off but on the whole I'm quite pleased with the result.
    Oh hey I remember this Version 2.0 is looking even better

Just finished this scene. My main aim was to create a Colossal robot and giving it a a believable amount of detail. I was highly inspired from this image mostly: http://www.walldevil.com/wallpapers/a75/8242-robot.jpg

I experimented with the ocean modifier as well in this scene to create the sea. I'm quite pleased with the result with this one. The only main problem in my opinion is that the the robot model is not rigged, that I had to pose each limb to make it seem more maneuverable.

Decided to revive a little this thread to put some of my more recent work here.

This character was made for school for my Character Design Unit. The model is fully rigged as well, but looking back, I've made ALOT of mistakes. I really wish to one day remake the mesh from the ground up properly with a much cleaner topology as well.

https://imgur.com/HSjOtys

https://imgur.com/HSjOtys

https://imgur.com/mQwugBc

For this image I wanted to focus highly on photo realism. I'm not 100% happy with the result, mostly because I find certain elements of the picture look way too "clean". I've seen videos on how to have some surface imperfections. Need to experiment with that in the future.

https://imgur.com/hO6gUzd

Lastly I wanted to show off my Level Design assignment of last year. I created a whole cloning facility. I really wish in the future to get the chance to properly texture map it and give it life. Here's one simple render of a room.

https://imgur.com/4BVGlYN

Right now I'm on my last year of school. I still have a lot of things to cover and improve upon such as texturing, rigging, animation, etc...Cheers guys...and sorry for my absence