Register

Default Zelda E3 trailer Breath of the Wild

Man, I'm not sure what to say or feel right now. I'll buy it for sure, though I'm worried this is too far from what makes a Zelda game what it is. I didn't even get to see the green tunic :/

The green tunic is probably in there somewhere, but the thing is... this is an RPG. A lot of information has been revealed since the trailer dropped, including a full hour's worth of gameplay footage. Link here: Clicky!

Weapons have stats and durability and you're expected to constantly change and salvage weapons from enemies, armours are situational and you'll even be required to swap out armour to account for weather and temperature. So even if you find the classic tunic, don't expect to be wearing it as the de facto outfit for the game, loot is taking much more of a dungeon crawler aspect to it.

The thing is... All the changes they are making feels welcomed to me. It may not be very reminiscent of a 3D zelda game, but this is a franchise that is known to constantly change it's style and mechanics. It just makes sense for them to remove the heavy story focus and just drop you in a world full of puzzles to explore. That's what the Zelda franchise is good at.

Been watching lots of game play by now, and I must admit, it's growing on me. I'm hoping to be happily surprised whenever I can get my hands on.

One concern of mine is that the environment is vast for sure, but it's also somewhat empty. Hopefully the traveling will be made joyful, (or simply faster with a horse or some sort of fast travel).

Loving the art style though. And man, I'm hyped to get to know when in the timeline this game takes place. Judging from the ruins etc, I'm thinking more of a post Ocarina of Time game, but in which split of the timeline is really interesting (wind waker or twilight princess direction). That abandoned church-ish thing reminds me a lot of the temple of time from Ocarina of Time. At the same time that long bridge as seen in the trailer brings my thoughts to Twilight Princess' lake Hylia bridge.

Considering we saw Koroks appear (from Wind Waker). One possibility is that this game is post Wind Waker's flooded/drained up again Hyrule, which would be sweet.

The Zelder Scrolls
    Knowledge is power - and power is hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by Shinoi View Post
    The Zelder Scrolls
    More like Shadow of the Triforce. Seriously some Team Ico vibe I'm getting watching this.
    OH BOY LOOK AT THESE RATINGS!

The game opens with an ontological mystery and what have you that feels like a really nice fit for the gameplay. I mean, at it's core this it's doing what made Zelda huge in the first place, that sense of exploration. So I absolutely dig it.

And, aesthetically speaking, I love the fact the kingdom is in a "state of decay".
    Quote Originally Posted by Aval View Post
    Do you have any idea how hard it is to make Madder praise the Beatles? I have been trying for three consecutive years to do that without success, but you managed it through the power of your wrongness. I'm kind of proud in a sick twisted way.

I have never yearned for a game so much in my life.
    On the other hand, it's unusual to see an intelligible language spoken in a Zelda trailer - I was a bit taken back, but it's a welcome change.
    Last edited by CatsAhoy; June 16th, 2016 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CatsAhoy View Post
    On the other hand, it's unusual to see an intelligible language spoken in a Zelda trailer - I was a bit taken back, but it's a welcome change.
    That's actually the only part I can't get behind. For me, ruins the much of the atmosphere and lore because now I know they're speaking English, even if it's just through texr. In past games, at least when people talked it was gibberish, and I could assume the text was translated for my convenience.

I'd much rather prefer a Midna style gibberish than actual speech.