Register

Default Fresh from the blender

Some pictures I created in blender, each taking about a week.

http://imgur.com/8gOCtKi
    The grainy sort of texture is intentional. Created using the trees as particles. Leaves are assigned to a colour wheel, from which the hue is selected randomly.

http://imgur.com/vxiSh44
    Just something that I made whilst testing making flagstones individually rather than applying as a single texture.
    There are some 'fireflies' in the image, particularly on the right hand side: any suggestions as how I might fix this? I have tried using a despeckle filter but that doesn't kill all of them.
    Of course, none of you may even use blender.

For any suggestions please bear in mind that my processor is made out of lego
    Don't get me started on escalators- or I may have to take steps...

Dope af man. Really digging the color scheme in the first one, looks more like a painting than a 3D model.

Missed to reply to this.

Looking good man. The Broken bridge picture has a good atmosphere to it, especially with the mixing of warm and cool colors. Materials are believable and works to 'sell' the stone. I'd might lower the bump a notch though, mainly on the bricks at the broken part of the bridge. Most of the image is covered in black, not necessarily a bad thing, though I'm quite certain it could be made more appealing by simply moving the point of interest from the top center to some of the 'sweet spots'.

Leaves picture is neat as well, the leaves especially. Not sure but are they all entirely flat? I'd say try just bending them a bit and you'd get more natural results. Also, this whole leaves deal is a good opportunity to work with translucency, if the lighting in the scene supports it, like such. My biggest concern with this picture is also the composition, which lacks something. Maybe telling a story? These references might be a good place to start. Also the path itself is for some reason extruded out of the ground and looks somewhat unnatural, maybe just leaving it either flat or actually a bit shifted downward could improve the appearance.

Not sure how to fix those fireflies either, because I've never worked in Blender. To solve it in vRay you can simply leave the picture to render for longer or find out if there are extremely bright lights in the scene causing the issue.

I'd say, technically you're doing good, though you might be interested in picking a more solid/interesting composition in future pieces. Looking forward!

Thanks for reminding me Oscar, I had got too caught up in the technical side and had totally forgotten about some the artistic bits like the spots.

The leaves are flat, I hadn't thought to bend them, but doing so would give me twice the faces which would put a bit too much strain on my Weetabix processor. There is in fact some translucency in the leaves already.

As for the raising of the path, that is because initially it was going to be a road before I decided a path would be better, and I forgot to lower it. The picture is rendered at a pretty high resolution and there are no extremely bright lights, so I am still none the wiser on the fireflies front.

I have been very cautious in my choice of composition, as I am well aware of my limitations; I do think, however, that I will try to push the boat out a bit with my next project, when I eventually decide what to do. I am thinking something with people/humanoids in, so it may be a long while before this thread sees any action...

[EDIT]: looks like I was wrong.
    Last edited by theshadow869; June 28th, 2016 at 09:39 PM.

http://imgur.com/BQIX4oK

The first render of my latest image; this is just a small project, I will probably do something more ambitious afterwards. I am prepared for criticism here, it isn't quite finished and I am interested to see how I can improve it, it is lacking something I can't quite put my finger on. I am not going for razor sharp realism here, I wanted a style and palette to match the Victorian-ish feel I was going for. Based on comments I have had so far this needs a fair bit of work: the thing in the middle is apparently 'a door..no,no, a pillar...or is it a coffin? With a blob on the top?'

I assure you that it is a hooded and cloaked figure.

(The banding is just imgur mangling the image)
    Last edited by theshadow869; June 28th, 2016 at 09:43 PM.

In my opinion this whole scene needs more light. It's fairly difficult to make out what's being shown to us right now.
    Meet Hot Singles Standing Right Behind You

Very true, but the whole point is that the room is dark, apart from the square of light from a single window illuminating this mysterious cloaked figure. The scene is very simple, with only the chair, the mirror and the person in it (other than the rooms itself, of course); the whole point is that you can't see much. I think that over-illumination would make it boring: some guy with monotone clothes standing in a poorly decorated room next to an old mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow869 View Post
    Very true, but the whole point is that the room is dark, apart from the square of light from a single window illuminating this mysterious cloaked figure.
    Yeah, but it might be a tiny issue when the viewer can't even tell that there's a blob on top of the looming, dark shape. It's all showing up as part of the black plane, making your person look more like an inanimate object. Maybe something that could help could be a very faint lighting effect from the off-set window that highlights that there's a head there?

I dunno, but my eyes are really trying to focus on that figure in the center of the room (the set up for that is almost perfect, you have this line of bright color almost hanging in darkness), and they keep bouncing back to the mirror set up just because it's the only thing that's visibly there. Another thing to help give the piece a "finished" look might be to put something on the other side of tall, dark, and anonymous to balance out the drawing, visually.

what the fuck am i even looking at

you cant just make shit "mysterious" on purpose by not giving us anything too lok at

You say it lacks something; as three people have told you already, it lacks light. You know your work is awful when you have to explain to people what it actually shows. There's more ways of achieving mystery than just lack of light, you know.
    Last edited by Shinoi; June 29th, 2016 at 05:42 PM.
    Knowledge is power - and power is hilarious

Please keep all criticism constructive, a lack of civility will not encourage success. I am working on brightening the image. As I said, it isn't finished.

I will make sure there is something too lok at.
    Last edited by theshadow869; June 30th, 2016 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow869 View Post
    Please keep all criticism constructive, a lack of civility will not encourage success.
    This.

What's with the attitude Shinoi?

Like already mentioned, I can't see anything in that picture. Perhaps if I was in a pitch black room but I rarely am. I went ahead and brightened it up in Photoshop to actually make up what it was, and it looks promising. But I'm seriously starting to think your screen is actually incorrectly calibrated, just a tip to look into.

Uh oh I like both pictures, the first one fooled me inte believing it was real foliage - until I saw the ditch-like stripe on the left of the dirt path. It seemed too good to be natural, that's all I have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    This.

What's with the attitude Shinoi?
    I wondered when some one else would notice... It's been going on for a while.

I apologise. I didn't notice I've been more "under attitude" than usual. Lately I've been under tons of stress, so this probably resulted in that post. Again, I apologise, but this is probably no excuse.

My point does still stand. I think just a touch of light in a right place would clarify a lot of things. You're a talented 3D artist, you've shown that before with your previous work, so hiding it would be a waste.
    Knowledge is power - and power is hilarious