Register

Default Blowin' in the Wind (idle animation loop)

Apparently looping gifs/animations is my thing now, so as a practice and for fun I made this.

I've been trying to stick to a consistent artstyle(see my most recent arts for reference) and so far this seems good for Flash or just vector art in general.(Lineless art makes it so much easier to animate. Seriously.) Toyed with Live2D in the past and it gave me some inspirations/directions to work with, so I'm just trying out some things I always wanted to do i.e. idle animation and hair flow - it's a good learning exercise and I'm pretty glad with how this turned out at the end!

I like it, really peaceful and fluid feeling!

Only thing I can think of to consider might be some tiny easing at the head/face movements.

Thanks Oscar!

I haven't got the perspective/whatever it's called entirely right and it is something I honestly didn't notice until now. Note taken, will definitely remember this next time so thank you for point that out :D

This is really neat! Have you considered making animated movie type deals?
    Meet Hot Singles Standing Right Behind You

Very nice. You got a name for her?

I'd suggest putting the eyes behind the hair, not other way around. Its quite confusing to see the hair move behind the eyes from the wind, its spooky. Still, I like it alot. Agree with Oscar, tho, you could smooth the face and head movements a bit, right now they feel too... robotic? I guess you could call them that.
    Roses are red,Violets are blue,ph’nglui mglw’nafh,wgah’nagl Cthulhu.

I like the style.
    Rachel Constantine: I was especially interested in the section on Arroway's video unit. The one that recorded the static?
    Michael Kitz: Continue.
    Rachel Constantine: The fact that it recorded static isn't what interests me. What interests me is that it recorded approximately eighteen hours of it.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" -Evelyn Beatrice Hall Relax

lets collab bro. music video LETS GO

Wow guys, thanks for the sweet comments!
    This got frontpaged&featured asdfhdsfkfaf I can die happy

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    This is really neat! Have you considered making animated movie type deals?
    Something bigger would be definitely out of the range my current art skill can do right now :( Again, I make art and animations as a side hobby(I’m a biotech college major by trade :u) so it’s hard to be sure if I have the time to invest in working on a large art project. BUT! This practice did gave me some confidence so it’s not entirely out of the question!

Quote Originally Posted by TheScrow View Post
    Very nice. You got a name for her? :D

I'd suggest putting the eyes behind the hair, not other way around. Its quite confusing to see the hair move behind the eyes from the wind, its spooky. Still, I like it alot. Agree with Oscar, tho, you could smooth the face and head movements a bit, right now they feel too... robotic? I guess you could call them that.
    Right, that’s Laume, a character I made during one of INTY(yes he still exists somewhere)’s RPGs. The run was unfortunately short but I like her enough to make her one of my resident OCs now.

I did scratched my head for a while over whether the eyes should go in front of or behind the hair, but eh, I like it better this way so it’s just artistic preference I guess? Though, I do consider doing this thing TvTropes calls ”Oddly Visible Eyebrows” where only the outlines are drawn over the hair. Do you think it will look better? It requires some work so I'll just save it for next time.

‘Robotic’ as in, something like uncanny valley? Hair movements is what I wanted to make when I started this so I agree the face movement is kinda rough in comparison(mainly due to the fact that I have no idea how face works <:v). I should study a bit for that too, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by codbarley View Post
    Get yourself a real animator lol

Seeing this makes me wish my previous hard drive didn't die. I miss using Adobe Flash CS5...
    Feel free to visit my small part of the universe.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Dilly890

DQ 1337 Member

Really adorable animation!
    Boomer's fangirl since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tyle View Post

Get yourself a real animator lol
    so that animation is fake? it doesn't exist?

so that animation is fake? it doesn't exist?

(In all it's seriousness, I'm just not that good to do something as big as a MV yet. But when I have the skill and experience to be comfortable for that, you DQ people will be the first ones to know.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyle View Post
    (In all it's seriousness, I'm just not that good to do something as big as a MV yet. But when I have the skill and experience to be comfortable for that, you DQ people will be the first ones to know.)
    Sounds promising. We'll be right here waiting for you... counting seconds.
    Roses are red,Violets are blue,ph’nglui mglw’nafh,wgah’nagl Cthulhu.

Animation takes way longer than one digital soundtrack. The musician gets away with hours/days while the animator may have to work for weeks, months or years. It seems quite unfair to collab.
    Last edited by Ecfor; March 14th, 2016 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyHorse View Post
    Animation takes way longer than one digital soundtrack. The musician gets away with hours/days while the animator may have to work for weeks, months or years. It seems quite unfair to collab.
    Oscar collaborated on that music video in 2010. Doesn't seem unfair.

And to be honest, this was the stupidest thing I've read on DQ in a long time. By that logic, you could say making a movie is unfair because filming takes 3 months while post-production team has to spend a year making CGI and other things.
    Last edited by Shinoi; March 15th, 2016 at 09:29 AM.
    Knowledge is power - and power is hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by Shinoi View Post
    You don't know much about that so called "collaboration". I'll let you believe it was fair, it's not my business anyway. I'm no fan of that shady Winter guy.

And to be honest, this was the stupidest thing I've read on DQ in a long time. By that logic, you could say making a movie is unfair because filming takes 3 months while post-production team has to spend a year making CGI and other things.
    The scenario above is not related to this thread and does not represent my opinion. I'm simply saying that a few minutes of fluid animation takes way more time to accomplish than one digital soundtrack, we're talking about a tiny 2-person team where work load should be fair. Whoever ends up working more deserves compensation and that is usually cash or greater percentage of whatever income they get.

Then again, some collaborators are okay with distributing the work unevenly. If they are content with the situation I won't be there to stop them, go ahead and produce something creative.

my counterargument to all of this is: don't pressure anyone to work on anything they don't want to.
    Meet Hot Singles Standing Right Behind You

Vinter did create a lot of original music for Repercussions, and I turned down a few pieces he made as well. I also made the video mainly for something more "mainstream" to put in my portfolio (and I enjoyed working on the animation too). He paid me a symbolic sum of money as well for the effort.

If I were to guess I probably put more work into the animation compared to the music I received, but I did it anyways for other reasons.

Sorry for digging up this thread after 2 months but I just wanted to point something out.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyHorse View Post
    Yeah I wasn't actually serious about that TOH. I've dabbled in animations and I wouldn't expect anyone to make a 4 minute animation for my music without compensating them fairly. Just saying...

Looks pretty good.