Register
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: KILL A GOD

"The flowers certainly look nice." Ninifa eyed the park and took a deep comforting breath. The scenery didn’t match well with the smell of ashes that lingered around her still.

“Spectacle, huh? Can’t be that bad if he’s friends with someone like you.”

a distant citadel overlooking a monument at sea

"I'm sure you can find some change. Someone's gotta be willing to pay you to do something, right?"

He reaches into his pockets and pulls out a single bill, worth one nae, then stretches it out for Lockjaw to take.

"This is all I have on me at the moment. Maybe it'll help you out, though?

Meanwhile, the woman smiles at Ninifa.

"I appreciate the compliment, but maybe you'll understand better when you see him. Guy chooses to sit around in a pantheon all day, though, so that gives you some idea who you're dealing with, I guess."

She pushes open the simple, but large, wooden door to the old building. Its architecture is weathered, but the elaborate woven patterns of endless knots carved into its stones remain visible. In the spaces between the threads of the knots, crude renderings of cogs can be seen, as if carved by a child who'd seen a machine without really understanding it.

Holding open the door, she turns and waits for Ninifa to follow her inside.
    Meet Hot Singles Standing Right Behind You

"Nah, you," Lockjaw faltered as she put a hand up, as if she was afraid of Adgus's genuine act of kindness. "You keep hold of that. I just..." she pushed herself off the crate, stumbling forward a bit. She was clearly more concerned with the tangent of thought going on in her head. "I suppose I'll just need to get another job. Ah, that's gonna be weird- Mama's the one that does my advertising, makes sure that I'm working with legitimate people...."

She was paler than normal, and had seemed to forget that she shouldn't be talking even loosely about her type of work during her visits to Adgus's. Whatever she was planning to do, she probably wasn't actually physically up for it. It was worry and duty that drove her pace forward. Albeit, with a slight wobble.

"Hey, look, whatever you're planning to do," Adgus says, watching her stumble about. "You're probably not actually physically up for it. Can we at least talk your options over, first?"

He pockets his money and approaches her.

"I'm not going to leave you in a lurch," He says. "Say the word and I'll tag along."

Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar

Corbin sighed as the last of his companions cleared out of the building, even the RYCE woman leaving with Ninifa. "Well, this is a sorry state of affairs, isn't it," he muttered absent-mindedly. "A performer with no audience."

He trudged outside and saw Ninifa eying Gamble apprehensively, but moving on after a moment and speeding off with the RYCE woman in a cab. "You alright, girl?"

Gamble nipped Corbin's finger affectionately and hopped to his shoulder. "Well, that's a relief," said Corbin. "Figures you'd be smart enough not to get too close to the exploding building. We can't all be me."

Corbin turned to face the direction of the waterfront. He was fairly certain he'd seen the dwarf woman headed that way, and of his three companions she had seemed the most familiar with the bar, mystified though she might have been by the events of the previous night. If he was to find answers, he expected he'd most likely find them with her.

Moreover, Corbin had a soft spot for anyone to whom the police had taken a dislike.

part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

"Justice? No, don't speak like that. You don't deserve these wounds." Evelyn said as she made her self busy by reading the chart. Seeing that it was time to administer a dose of medicine, she did.

The Tar Waterfront is a large place. Corbin's searches take him close to the office where Lockjaw is currently located, but not inside. Instead, he finds himself looking very far out-of-place on the pier. Waves crash with surprising aggression against the breakwall, a few dozen meters away, and salty spray occasionally dots the stone at his feet.

There are plenty of dwarves to be seen here, but none particularly resemble the dwarf Corbin is looking for.

"Hey buddy. You lost?" An older, white-bearded dwarf asks. He looks almost skeletal in his thinness, and it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume he avoids labor where possible.

Meanwhile, Grant frowns and stares at the floor, refusing to look at the medicine Evelyn offers.

"I was supposed to follow the Plan... But, well... First it was the bottle of sherry in my cupboard... Nothing too big, I thought. Then it was more, then, then the hip flask... Then, oh gods..."

He shifts to take the weight off of his shoulders.

"I found myself going out on weekends just to drink... Think of it! A surgeon who can't control his Gods-DAMNED THIRST."

He swings his arm out as if he's throwing something, but instead nearly strikes Evelyn by accident. For a few minutes, he lies there, sobbing slowly and gently.

"So then," He finally says. "So then some maniac with an axe showed up last night and the next thing I know I'm on the ground in an alleyway. Why did I think I could hide from the Plan?"

Ninifa nodded and stepped into the door, eyeing the carvings as she walked.
    “Well,” She smiled. “I used to work at a small bar in the South, can’t say that I’m not used to seeing different sorts of people.”

"It obviously isn't the plan for you to die. Otherwise you would have died in the alley. Maybe this is your opportunity to turn your life around, a warning shot of sorts. Seize your life and cling to will to live." Evelyn turned to Anne and whispered, "Axe-wielding maniac? Any leads?"

Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar

"Lost? Good gracious me, I should hope not, my good man," Corbin replied brightly, "though 'tis powerful kind of you, showing such concern for a stranger. Might I repay your kindness over lunch? Where in the Tar Docks would you say that the best food and company is to be found?"

He does look a hungry chap.

part two in progress

With baited breath, Lockjaw looked at Adgus, clearly trying to put together her decided course of action by herself. Her mind turned up nothing, and he sighed. "Alright, then. My options." The obvious option- going back to Mama Lockjaw to try and piece together what happened last night- made her stomach twist and turn. She slumped a little, felling her locket slide against her chest.

The Locket. Mama had given it to her. Said that it had been passed down for a few generations, despite it somehow not being tarnished. Maybe it was magical, or maybe this was a new incarnation of a similar locket previously stolen. Whatever the case was, it still carried the same legacy- the Lockjaw Locket, though the title would most likely never be known outside of the dwarf projects. And she- Hewena- carried that legacy around with her wherever she went. She pulled the locket out from under her shirt by the chain, and its weight and warmth sat like the hand of a family member in her own.

Lockjaw was so much more than just her- than just Hewena. Lockjaw was her entire family, and the lasting impression of everyone else she had ever had to deal with, be it good or bad. Just because she could hide bits of the legacy that she made from others didn't mean that she should.

"... Y'know what? That explosion must have scared the me out of me." The hand around the locket balled up into a fist. "I think I'm starting to get my senses back. Adgus, there's really only one option that I see working here- me being honest." As quickly as she had yanked it out to meditate, the locket was down her shirt again, and she was standing back up, hearty as ever. "So, I'mma need you to do you- make sure that I don't get anything too damaged or broken. Can ya do that?"

The Pantheon door opens into an immense hall. The knots-and-cogs pattern continues out from the door, the knots slowly unraveling into what look like vines, until these vines cease to cover the cogs. Then, nearing the far wall, the cogs end, to reveal a waving pattern that could either be flames or water. Lastly, the waves draw into a circle enclosing a bare patch of dark stone on the floor and far wall.

Within this circle, overlooking the Pantheon, six marble statues, huge elves in flowing robes, overlook the hall. Their faces have been doused several times with vitriol, removing any recognizable features.

The RYCE woman gestures for Ninifa to follow her into a side room, past the small handful of people currently scattered throughout the hall for morning prayers.

Meanwhile, Doctor Grant smiles.

"You are not the type to give up on a patient, are you?" He asks, though it seems to be more of a comment than a question.

Anne frowns and leads Evelyn aside.

"I'm not sure he wants saving," She says. "Haskill is trying to find a healer that can mend him, but short of that, I don't think we have any way to fix what's left. As for the one who did this, we've spoken to an officer, but it sounds like the force has their hands full with that business at Barra's."

Meanwhile, the dwarf lets out a hacking, whistling laugh. "You latch on fast. Don't worry about me, kid. I just ate."

He wanders past Corbin toward the end of the pier, gesturing for the man to follow. "You, however, don't look like the sort to come out here for work. You looking for a person, a thing, or money?"

Despite what he's said, the dwarf himself seems dressed for another place himself, with a simple, clean black suit hanging from his thin body. It's a safe bet that he doesn't move crates for a living.

Meanwhile, Adgus grins at Lockjaw. "Good to have you back," He says. "For a moment there, I was worried you were gonna do something smart."

He leans against one of the larger crates in the office. "Do you need me to tag you along - you know, for backup when you spill the beans - or should I wait here?"

Spoiler for GM's nose:
    Hey, sorry for the huge scary long pause. End-of-semester blues and I lost track of what I was doing with most all of my projects. I'll try not to get hung up for this long again.

"A person, at this particular juncture, as it were," replied Corbin. "Dwarf lass, black of hair, braids. Taped knuckles. Employed at Barra's until quite recently. We woke up near to one another this morning after what I can only assume was a merry night of drinking, but I haven't her name. I trust that nothing more scandalous happened, of course. She seemed the responsible sort, after a fashion."

part two in progress

"I don't know what you want me to do" she whispered back. "Tell me what to do."