Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: KILL A GOD

Evelyn dropped knife and skittered back. "Why would you say that?" She backed further away this woman who became more and more threatening every time she spoke. "Actually, don't answer that. Since the good sirs have said we can leave, I'm going to go to work now." She continued backing away until she got to the edge of the ruins at which point she turned her back to the assembled scene and broke into a run.

"'Free to go', hah..." Ninifa stood from her spot and gave a sigh of relief. "Finally, someone who give us what we really need. I'm going to get sick if I stay in this awful place for one more minute."

That woman...
    "Whoever you are, thank you, madam," she nodded, "and condolences to the inspector. I'll be going."

Ninifa eyed the nurse with a slightly displeasing look. That dwarf was unsurprisingly a troublemaker, but her... it could be that RYCE woman's provocation, but there was certainly something about her. And she thought she could get some help from her for that medicine.
    Funny group of people I spent the day with. Ninifa thought snidely.

"Hrm, I'm a stranger to this town, by the way. If that isn't too much to ask for, I would certainly love to have some directions. A map or better, a guide, perhaps?"

a distant citadel overlooking a monument at sea

There is surprisingly little resistance to Evelyn's flight, considering how recently she was a suspect.

Spoiler for Available destinations: Evelyn Adler:
    Barra's Fine Eatery
    13 Waterfront St.

Kalthesan Pantheon at Alten Tar
    intersection of Hilltop and Church

Water Street Tenements
    13-23 Water St.

Mercy Hospital
    28-29 Harbor Road

Tar Market
    24 Turton Road

Tar Waterfront
    Along Waterfront St. and Harbor Road.

Church of the Monotheon
    57 Church St.

The RYCE woman turns to speak to Ninifa.

"I suppose I have time to show you around. Where do you need to go?"
    Meet Hot Singles Standing Right Behind You

Evelyn continued running until she could no longer see the chaotic scene. Slowing to a strolling pace, she tugged at her charred clothing and tried to brush as much soot off as possible. She could smell the saltwater air as she walked past the busy bay. No one seemed to notice her garb, but she knew she'd be a sorry sight when she got to work. No matter, she would just change into a spare uniform. There was a whole closet of spare grey dresses and white aprons with simplified trees on them. If she managed to work her shift in a clean fashion, she could even walk home in her uniform and change at the tenement she called home. Yes, this would be fine. Seeing the hospital, Evelyn picked up the pace and darted into the building.

"Evelyn! Where have you--" A nurse in her early twenties starts to ask. Evelyn recognizes her as fellow nurse Anne Colton. She's immaculately clean, but clearly cannot afford to take proper care of herself. "What in the Plan happened to you!?"

She grabs Evelyn by the arm and rushes her to a supply closet, containing clean uniforms.

"Were you in that explosion last night? Never mind-- We have to get you sharp before a patient sees you... Or worse, Doctor Haskill! Have you heard what happened?"

"N-no? What's going on?" Evelyn said as she reached for the nearest uniform in her size. She started changing behind a rack, "is everything okay?"

"Doctor Grant was attacked last night," Anne answers, averting her eyes as Evelyn finishes changing. "He's delirious - keeps saying something about 'justice.' Doctor Haskill thinks--"

"Adler," Doctor Haskill, a bald, aged rail of a man, who has clearly been resurrected from the dead at least once, says. "We'll discuss your definition of 'punctual' later. It's all hands on deck! Grant is on the verge of death and it seems like half my staff decided they could take a day off today!"

The man stops to gasp for breath.

"I need you and Colton to keep him alive long enough for me to find a caster. He's not going to pull through this without magic."

There's a pause.

"Well, go on, Colton! Show her to his room!"

Spoiler for Inventory: Evelyn Adler:
    Head: Nurse's hat[empty]
    Neck: A burned talisman on a cord
    Spoiler for burned talisman:
    Once offered a substantial protection against hexes. Recent damage has rendered it useless.

Torso: Nurse's uniform
    Legs: Nurse's uniform
    Feet: Nurse's shoes
    Hands: [empty]
    Ring 1: A cracked ruby ring
    Spoiler for cracked ruby ring:
    This lucky find, set in gold infused with Ethaeum, is infused with runes that allow the wearer to walk on water, endure fire, and even fall great heights unharmed. Unfortunately, its protection against fire only lasted as long as the ring did, and damage it sustained during the explosion renders it irreparably useless, beyond a somewhat intimidating and gaudy accessory.

Ring 2: [Empty]
    Left equipment: [empty]
    Right equipment: [empty]
    Pockets: Tenement key, dead bird,
    Prayerstone: [empty]
    Current balance: *00.00
    Last edited by Ducky; January 19th, 2016 at 11:10 PM.

"Ah, thank you for your generosity, madam, if you think your men can handle whatever is left down here."

Ninifa thought for a moment, then approached the woman. "Actually, I just need to know where the best hospital this town can offer. I still can't remember a damn thing from last night except for..." she pounded her head and glanced at the inspector's messy corpse.
    "...hmph. I just think I need a health check or two, that's all."

Though 'running low on funds' seemed to be a massive understatement right now, Ninifa would rather leave that part for herself to deal with.

Sufficiently cowed by Dr. Haskill's admonition, Evelyn looked to Anne and followed her when she start walking. "Please fill me in; what's going on?"she said breathily as they walked.

"You know, I know a guy who'll check your head for free," The woman says to Ninifa. "Not even with some kind of strings attached. He's just a genuinely nice guy. Sure you don't want to see him?"

She leads Ninifa toward the door. "If you're bent on the hospital, though, I know how to get there, too."

A bird waits patiently on the sidewalk outside. A raven, to be specific.

Meanwhile, Anne leads Evelyn through the halls to a shut door.

"We really don't know. Doctor Grant got attacked last night, and unless we can find a healer, it doesn't look like he'll pull through," She says. "Doctor Haskill's been all fired up since he found out. I'm sure he didn't mean to hurt your feelings, Evelyn."

"Yeah, I know. So what's his condition? What are we doing? Is it a bleeding problem? Infection already? What are we to do until a healer arrives?" she replied.

"Well, in that case, I guess I could use all the help I can get," Ninifa gave the woman a thankful smile as she finally stepped out of the ruins and into the sunlight. "I'll just consider visiting the hospital later. Thank you, madam."

"And what are YOU doing here, little friend? Looking for some roasted meat?" She playfully remarked, hands resting in her coat pockets as she noticed the black bird resting outside.

The crisp, salty air filled her lungs as Lockjaw stormed down the Tar Waterfront, turning onto the docks. Was she angry? Of course. She had been thrown into a situation, quite possibly against her will, that could have almost gotten her arrested. She couldn't get arrested- she couldn't afford to get arrested! None of them could.... Her family, and the family on the same floor as them, and all the other famillies in the tenements could not afford to lose a working member of their community. Just because she fudged a job. She felt stupid, nauseated at her own apparent lack of care. Or was that just the air? She shook her head lightly. What was I even doing there?

Her eyes, squinted shut in thought, now opened up, wider and wider, as she kept asking that over and over again. Her breaths became more shallow and rapid as a sinking feeling came over her- she had no answer to that question. She had no idea what she had been doing there. She searched her mind, trying to find anything that could have been a potential spark to a memory, a reason, any reason at all. But her mind was clear, and there was nothing there. Pantheons damn it!

She looked up, eyeing the sign for the Tar Docks permissions and ports office. This wasn't the quickest way home. Not by a long shot. But she couldn't go to her mama- her fence- like this. She needed, at the very least, a decent alibi to explain why she'd be in a bar in the first place. And annoying as he was, the guy she new here was the smoothest talker she trusted. Looking down, Lockjaw sighed and pushed the door open. The smells of spiced candles assaulted Lockjaw's nose as a dainty human secretary took a moment out of her no-doubt busy day to recognize her presence. With a bit of a scoff, the secretary raised an eyebrow, silently asking Lockjaw what she wanted. "I'm, ah, here to see Adgus. He around?"

"He's busy," The secretary replied bluntly, as a jovial, ink stained dwarf carrying around a stack of freshly drawn-up paperwork couldn't help but hear his name and look over, face transitioning somewhere between joy and worry at Lockjaw's general presence. "He should be off in a few hours, though-"

"Hewena!" Adgus chimed, loudly entering the conversation, much to the secretary's dismay. "You came all this way just to visit me? Ah, I new ya' couldn't resist!"

The normal, fiery reaction that a remark like that would have gotten from Lockjaw was drowned out by the earlier events of that morning, and she merely just blinked at Adgus's statement. "Uh, yeah, could we talk?"

The wide grin on Adgus's face was now paired with a bit of a concerned furrow of his eyebrows. "Of course. I was supposed to be getting off for lunch soon, right?" He looked back at the secretary.

The secretary scrutinized the schedule. "Three hours ago. And you're supposed to be leaving for the day in two..."

"Oh, come on, Charlotte," Adgus reasoned, "We both know that the big boss'll keep me over for at least another hour or two."

Charlotte huffed and rolled her eyes. "Thirty minutes. That's all the company can afford."

Adgus smiled, nodding in thanks as he wrapped an arm around Lockjaw's shoulders and walking her back out of the office. "So, you know how I normally say that you're so hot, you could set a building on fire?"

"Uh, yeah," Lockjaw said, the door closing behind them as she was scooted along by Adgus.

"Well, normally I mean that metaphorically, but today you actually look like you were involved in a house fire." Adgus's smile fell. "You aren't... reacting normal to everything. Pantheons praised, you're not even trying to break my arm," he lifted his arm off of her back and turned to face her. "What's up?"

Lockjaw swallowed, hand moving over her face to brush loose hair out of her face. "Well, I was involved in much more than a... regular fire. Bara's exploded."

"Oh, damn."

"He's lost a lot of blood," Anne answers. "Big hacking wounds across his shoulders and arms, like you get from a sword or an axe. He's awake, but, uh.. He might not be for much longer. It doesn't look like an infection has set in yet, but with all the luck we've been having..."

She opens the door and leads Evelyn into a room, where the elderly Doctor Grant lies, covered up to his waist with blankets. Several deep wounds on his left arm and shoulders have been covered with bandages, white but soaked red with blood. Slowly, he turns his head to face the newcomers.

"Are you here to kill me?" He whispers.

Meanwhile, the woman watches as Ninifa attempts to befriend the bird.

"I think he's waiting for someone," She suggests. "Or is it a she? You can never tell with birds, because they're all filthy liars."

She hails down a cab surprisingly quickly and opens the door, gesturing for Ninifa to enter first.

Meanwhile, Charlotte pops her head back into the room, then looks down and sees who she's looking for.

"Adgus?" She says. "Before you two have your moment, I need you to look over this again."

She tosses a rolled up piece of paper to the dwarf, containing a long list of cargo declared by the Sola.

"Do you recall any strange containers? Customs says there's been a miscount."

Adgus shrugs and turns to Lockjaw.

"You know how it is - the Waterfront always finds work for me when I'm busy! No, don't go. Tag along, and I'll help you out while we walk."

"Yes they are," Ninifa grinned to the bird, hands still in her coat. "Crows. Clever little scoundrels."

She felt something in her pockets, surprisingly. No, not the fragments from he precious glass ring, but something bigger. She emptied the contents onto her hand as she climbed into the cab.
    Looked like a prayerstone and a key were all that were left for her now. By this time, Ninifa had given up trying to recover her suitcase - she had had enough with that place and those people. Just one more trip, she rubbed her temples with her free hand, that's it.

The stone was with her since the beginning of her journey, but the key, not so much. It was strangely familiar but she didn't remember how she got it in the first place. Ninifa inspected the items closely, trying to recall anything related as the vehicle's door shut.

"Corner of Church and Hilltop, please," The woman says. The driver shoots her a confused look, but doesn't complain when she pays the fare.

Gradually, the waterfront fades into the distance as the cab climbs up the slope of the city, approaching Hilltop Road.

"Weird stone," She comments. "Who's it supposed to be?"

Lockjaw sort of numbly followed Adgus as he went back into the office, passing the other workers silently as she worried. How was she going to break this to everyone? She rarely carried money on her, unless she had a specific need or use for it, like buying food or something. Why was she at Bara's? She never went out to drink, it was too costly. Had she blown money from a job? The Tenements probably really needed it, and she had one. Stinking. Burnt. Dollar.

"How long was I gone?" Lockjaw mused out loud, immediately feeling guilty that she had said anything. They had stopped in front of a big pile of crates, and Adgus looked like he was intently going over the inventory. He needed to focus, and here she was distracting him. But who else was she going to get her facts strait with? If she could trust anyone to help her, and communicate to Mama that she was out doing more jobs (if that needed to happen), it was Adgus.

"No, of course not. We're just here to check in. How are you feeling, Doctor Grant?" Evelyn said evenly.

"Adgor told me he saw you hurrying down the street, away from the tenements, last night," Adgus says. "Said you looked mad like the Fires. Figured either he was makin' stuff up, like he does, or he just... Hangon..."

He squeezes through a tight gap between two large, wooden crates and, after a bit of grunting, comes back with a small box, made of badly rusted iron, with bits of soggy straw poking out of the corners. Seaweed hangs loosely around the sides.

"I'm not the only one who thinks this is the obvious miscount, right?"

Meanwhile, Doctor Grant frowns.

"I'm... I know what the Divine Plan holds for me tonight," He whispers. "Haskill will take my stone back to the Pantheon, won't he?"

He pauses and then addresses Evelyn. "You've got new scars. What happened to you?"

"...Razzaka..." Ninifa muttered, swirling the prayerstone with her fingers. Odd, the name appeared in her head as soon as the stone was within view. " Not a fan of religions - It was a gift."

The stone was given by a fine gentleman back in the club. He appeared one day and stayed a frequent visitor since, being there every night she was on stage - but then again, that happens with a lot of others too, until the night he introduced himself as one of that god's knights and gave her this, and never to be seen again.
    She remembered he, after asking her to hold on to it, had warned her about...something, but what exactly? She wasn't paying much attention back then.
    And then all that stupid nonsense happened.

"Funny little pebble," she muttered to herself, before stuffing it back to the pocket with the ring fragments. "I don't remember putting you there."
    Then again, she didn't remember a lot of things either.

"I don't know, honestly. I woke up in a burned out building. Almost everyone was dead, but I seem to only have superficial scraps," she said. "But what's this about your stone? If you don't want Haskill to take it back, I could take it or get it to the person you do want to take it. Anne will help, right?"
    Last edited by FayeFox; January 23rd, 2016 at 03:10 AM.

"I've heard that name before," The woman says. "You know he doesn't exist, right? All of those pantheons are a load of... Oh, we're here."

The cab approaches the intersection at Hilltop and Church. Three of the four corners are composed of a small park with a single bench and rows of carefully tended flowers.

"They're taking good care of them," The woman says. "I'm glad. Nothing sadder than a bad garden. I mean, except for a building full of corpses."

On the fourth corner, the huge Pantheon building looms over the two.

"My friend spends all of his time here," She says. "Causes a bit of a spectacle, otherwise."

Meanwhile, Doctor Grant smiles at Evelyn.

"I appreciate the offer," He says, "But I know that Doctor Haskill will take care of my stone. You know, he and I went to school together..."

He thinks about his situation for a moment.

"I want to believe I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time," He says, "But I know better. This is justice..."

He moans and looks down at the floor.

"The Plan leaves no questions unanswered..."

Spoiler for Available destinations: Corbin Isaris Tell:
    Barra's Fine Eatery
    13 Waterfront St.

Kalthesan Pantheon at Alten Tar
    intersection of Hilltop and Church

Greenbrook Hotel
    135 Greenbrook Road

Marble Hall
    11 Steppes Road

Tar Market
    24 Turton Road

Tar Waterfront
    Along Waterfront St. and Harbor Road.

Church of the Monotheon
    57 Church St.
    Last edited by Ducky; February 21st, 2016 at 08:48 PM.

Lockjaw eyed the box suspiciously. If anything was to ever, in the history of everything, be haunted, that looked like the device. As much as she hated to admit it, just looking at the box gave her the creeps. "Uh, yeah," she answered Adgus's question, if with slight reservation. "Ah, maybe we should just... set that... down?"

As soon as the words came out of her mouth, she felt silly for even thinking them. She had to think of a save. "Rusty box, and all. More prone to cut up your hands." She gave a tight smile, only feeling more and more awkward as she talked.

"Eh, you're probably right," Adgus answers, setting the box aside, somewhere visible. "Besides, actually opening boxes is up to people who get payed way more than I do... Though I'm not sure what for..."

He turns back to Lockjaw. "But yeah, Adgor told me he called after you and you didn't even slow down. Tried to chase you even, but, in his words..." Adgus takes on a mock elderly voice and thick Ralanese accent. "'My old bones couldn't bear it!'"

His face straightens into something vaguely serious. "Did you do something last night?"

"I... don't even..." Lockjaw started to say- tried to say- as she rubbed one of her arms. "... Know? I can't actually recall. I just... woke up in the wreckage that was Bara's." She was sitting now, on top of one of the newer, pale wooden crates. The more she tried to remember, the more desperate she looked. "Adgus, what am I supposed to do? I don't wanna fling any muck Mama's way, but I can't go back home with just..." she trailed off, hands patting at her pockets. She pulled out her single bill, looking at it worriedly, before she gripped at it with both hands. Nothing was happening to that bill, no sir-e. Not unless you could pry it from her dead body.