Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: KILL A GOD

Sitting on the ground, Ninifa last saw Evelyn cutting the rope with a sharp shiny object before she curled up coughing again. A loud thud on the ground was heard.
    “Hey, nice job, nurse…” Unaware the inspector was dead, she coughed one last time and wiped her face. “I don’t know nurses carry scalpels with them around these days.”

Her trachea felt better, but her mouth tasted funny – it tasted like rust.
    Ninifa’s heart sank. It couldn’t be, too soon, too soon too soon not now…! She shook her head, trying her best to reassure herself. It could just be the soot’s bitter aftertaste, or perhaps she was coughing too hard and popped a capillary. Or, maybe, it was all just her imagination?
    Just imagination. She gulped and mumbled. Just imagination.
    She could really use some of those pills in her suitcase right now.

Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar

Corbin gazed at each of his three lovely new companions in thought. The lady Ninifa was surely Aligned, he'd seen her cut at the rope with her hand gestures. The other two, though... the thin, pale nurse had used a mundane knife to attempt to cut the inspector's noose, and the dwarf had not used any obvious magic in her effort to hold him up. No Aligned person should go near that gallows-mark, that was for certain.

"Ma'am, I laud your efforts to save the life of our dear inspector there, and I would be honored if you would continue them for me," he said, turning to the dwarf-woman. "I fear I reach above my station in asking a lady to help me with physical labor, but to my shame, I am fearfully frail of limb. So long as you are Unaligned and thus somewhat protected from such frightful magicks as we have just witnessed, could I trouble you to move the inspector's body off of that accursed rune for me?"
    Last edited by Varthonai; January 11th, 2016 at 08:55 AM.

part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

Evelyn looked at the body. She took a step towards it before she had really processed what the skinny stranger had said. Once she realized what he had asked, she also realized that by taking a step forward, it looked like she was volunteering. Evelyn decided the best course of action was to just go with it so she approached the body carefully. She grabbed his booted foot and heaved. Relief washed over her; this was a freebie. She hauled it far from the rune. Before moving away from the body so as not to seem to have an affinity for death. She stood next the stranger and muttered "done."

Wait, you want me to do what? Lockjaw thought as she looked on at corpse-guy. That was insanity- clearly, the rune didn't care if the person that touched it was aligned or not, judging by the inspector's body on the floor. It was sui-

The body being dragged around her snapped her back to the situation at hand. "Ah... okay? Well, that went..." Lockjaw muttered to herself before she just shrugged and nodded towards the nurse. She felt initially sorry for not picking up the body herself, but, hey- this was a nurse that had just dragged the body around. Probably a lot stronger than she appeared.

Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar

"Aha! This young woman knows how to take the initiative," Corbin said of the nurse, with a twinkle in his eye. "Thank you kindly, ma'am. I'd advise everyone to stand a few paces back from the late inspector, now."

Corbin approached the inspector's body with eyes closed and a hand extended. The inspector's spirit had likely not yet crossed the final veil, and could be restored if Corbin acted with haste and a little luck. No doubt it was more than mere coincidence that Corbin's path had crossed with this ill-fated policeman's today--no, this was assuredly the will of some cosmic storyteller, weaving the chaotic threads of fate into an aesthetically pleasing narrative. Corbin smiled as he worked, for this was an encouraging thought.

part two in progress

Ninifa dusted off the ash gathered on her coat and dress from the hassle moments ago. Regained her composure, she stayed seated on the ground, having no intention at all to move from her spot at the ruined stage.

“I’m far away from it already, thanks.”

She nodded to the man, lips curling slightly as if in eagerness to see the trick this quirky fellow is about to perform.
    Whatever it is, stranger things have happened today – as if I can be surprised anymore.

a distant citadel overlooking a monument at sea

The inspector's body convulses and he sucks in a huge gasp of air. There is a quiet cheer among the gathered officers, which quickly dies down when the revived man throws out his foot, kicking Corbin in the stomach and knocking him several feet back.

"Don't worry," Corbin reassures them. "Nobody panic. It's only a natural reaction to being reanimated!"

The inspector draws a revolver from his hip and swings it wildly between targets in the room, backing toward the door. His skin is scarred and sooty from his descent to the floor, and the distorted tissue on his neck has hardened into a flesh-colored but almost chitinous material.

"Sir, it's okay!" Corbin says. "We're the patrons you--"

The inspector fires a shot, grazing Corbin's arm but only drawing a minimal amount of blood and tearing the sleeve of his duster.

"Vakka! Or irrama ga-taak int!" The inspector shouts, his face contorted with terror as he looks upon the others in the room.

"Enough!" Someone answers from the entrance.

A woman stands there, wearing startlingly light apparel - a light shirt that covers just past her shoulders, decorated with images of musicians using strange, impossible devices, and the single, misspelled word, 'RYCE,' over their heads, and surprisingly close-fitting denim trousers that have been torn in multiple locations.

"These are your friends! Now," She begins. Her eyes seem to vanish, despite clearly still being present.

"Put down the weapon."
    "Art corrak virrth."

The inspector turns and fires a second shot, hitting the door frame next to her.

"Weird," The woman comments. "That usually works."
    Last edited by Ducky; January 12th, 2016 at 03:20 PM. Reason: plurality!
    Meet Hot Singles Standing Right Behind You

"Could be performance anxiety," Corbin said cheerily, as he inspected the wound on his arm. "Best two out of three?"

part two in progress

The inspector spins back around as Corbin speaks, firing another shot, which, due to the speed with which it is aimed, only nicks Corbin's coat, without inflicting another injury.

"Or ga-hirruk int!"

With caution Ninifa locked her eyes on the inspector – or, what used to be the inspector so far as she knew, knowing she might have to slice off a limb or two next time somebody gets hurt, or worse.

“That wasn’t supposed to happen, was it?” She muttered snidely.

The inspector spins towards Ninifa as she speaks and fires a shot, missing widely.

"Ga-hirruk! Ga-hirruk int!" He screams, his voice shaking.

"Uh..." The woman in the doorway says. "Inta... Gal-hirruk or?"

"Irram! Vakka irrama!" The inspector answers, without firing another shot.

By this point Corbin had noticed that, despite being a mere kick away from one of its intended victims (Corbin himself), the inspector's specter was missing its shots fairly consistently. This suggested to Corbin that the revenant was not, in fact, a magical corruption of the mind of the inspector, but rather an entirely alien spirit, since it apparently lacked any particular skill with and knowledge of firearms.

Well, that and the babbling in alien languages.

Corbin quietly berated himself for not having taken the gun from the inspector before the revival attempt. Corbin did not generally care for the use of firearms as anything other than a tool of negotiation in the direst circumstances, when all other means of negotiation had failed--never to be actually fired, of course. They were instruments of death, and Corbin considered himself an instrument of Life, in more ways than one. But this creature's stray shots, however ineffective they had been so far, could hurt the innocent--and it would be on Corbin's head for his reckless mistake, if that were to happen. So a precedent needed to be broken.

Corbin drew his revolver from his coat and aimed it at the creature's chest, the biggest target on its body. A chest wound would probably not stop it as quickly as a headshot, but it ought to slow it enough for him to follow up with a quick and more reliable headshot afterward.

part two in progress

The bullet passes through the body of the inspector, entering just left of his sternum and erupting, with seemingly-impossible velocity, from his back. Behind it follows a spray of fleshy chunks, blood and some kind of dust.

The revolver falls from the inspector's hands. He stares down at his chest, then back up at Corbin, then down at his chest again.

"Or ga-taak int..." He whispers. "Irram!"

He begins to frantically claw at the hole in his chest, attempting to pack strips of flesh into the opening and seal it.

"Irram! Or ga-taak int!" He screams.

The woman in the doorway looks on, fascinated. The police officers look on, horrified. The tiny layer of loose tissue gives way to the weight of whatever hides within the inspector's body, pushed away by his own blood. The sand follows, stained red at first but then largely dry, gray and speckled with brown grains.

"Field-sand," The ranking officer, who had previously sent Thompson out, says. "Nobody touch it."

"That's not like any sand I've ever seen," The woman says, approaching the corpse. "I'm gonna touch it."

She touches the sand. For a moment, she appears skeletal, with holes where her eyes should be and cracked skin stretched painfully over her bones. In the next moment, she's screaming and backing away from the sand.

"Good stuff," She whispers after she catches her breath. "Don't touch it."

Not holstering his weapon just yet, Corbin looked at the RYCE woman with raised eyebrow. "Wasn't planning on your degree of recklessness, ma'am, since this curse seems potentially contagious."

He glanced over at the ranking officer. "Should she be, er, quarantined? I am not familiar with your organization's procedures."

part two in progress

"I should," The woman answers, "But"

"I won't."
    "Int ga."

Of course.

It's perfectly reasonable that she won't submit to any form of quarantine.

That would be ridiculous.

"I'd listen to the man with the guns, ma'am." Evelyn was still standing next to the man but now she turned to face him. "Two questions, should I draw my knife and would need want my help enforcing a quarantine?" She said under her breath.

Lockjaw looked on at the scene, slightly exasperated. There were guns, sand of death (field sand?), and, to top it all off, aligned, tall people controlling and messing with all of it. Sure, the immediate threat was laying still, on the floor, most likely dead again, but she wasn't stupid- obviously, there were much more impending dangers in the room around her. They were just playing at being civil.

Lockjaw grit her teeth. As much as she hated to think it, she couldn't help but think that she was just a bit out of her league. That thought, though... it got under her skin, made her blood boil, and gave her vision a slightly blood-washed tint. Though her mama had always told her that she should respect those around her that were aligned, she was growing tired of being the only one here that couldn't do a damn thing, either through reasons of power or legality. She felt like she needed to punch something, and detaining this thin, willowy masochist of a RYCE agent? Well, that was certainly something she could have a fair go at.

She cracker her knuckles individually with her thumb. She wasn't gonna pounce until it was okay to, but she certainly looked like a dwarf that was itching for a fight.

The woman looks first at Evelyn, who has most recently spoken.

"How badly would you like them to say they need your help?" She asks. "How about if I ask for your help? Will that be enough of a distraction for you?"

She turns to Lockjaw, waits to see if she says anything out loud, then appears to grow impatient.

"And you can just go ahead, if you want," She says to the dwarf. "I'm sure the bony guy will put me together if you manage to kill me."

Evelyn reeled back; "What? What are you doing?"

"I'm trying to have a good time," RYCE woman answers. "Guess you don't know much about good times, eh?"

She playfully jabs Evelyn in the ribs.

"Oh, I'm also trying to save all of your lives, but that can wait."

Evelyn drew her knife and stepped closer to the dwarf woman who seemed to still be normal. "I'd rather you explain now or I'll cut you down where you stand." Pleasure thrilled through her at the threat and her instincts screamed at her to just do it.

Ninifa was so confused, maybe even overwhelmed for a second. Why won’t they just leave that woman alone? Don’t they know that no means...
    …no?

For a moment, everything made perfect sense, then they didn’t. It was hard to think straight anymore. She wanted to stand up against those two for that odd woman but, something held her back.
    No. This wasn’t something she would normally do. This was not her business, there was nothing to gain from this.

I’ll stay out of it. She thought to herself as she quietly spectate the quarrel. For some reason, Ninifa had a really bad feeling about this.

The police officers reach for their hips as threats of violence escalate. The woman waves her hand toward them and they relax.

"Do it," She whispers. Nobody but Evelyn seems to hear her. "I'd be the last one to deny someone their fun. Honest."

Four officers enter the building and huddle around the gallows mark on the floor. Cautiously, with a strange glove, one of them touches the symbol and visibly shudders, but appears to be able to safely interact with it.

"Sir," The woman says to the ranking officer. "These four are free to go, if they see fit."

At the words "free to go," Lockjaw took a deep breath. Reason, reason... what would Mama say about all of this? That she needed to cool off from all of this, that's what. RYCE-ie over there was getting on her nerves; it was like the beanpole wanted her to get in trouble. Openly encouraging a dwarf to have at you in front of the police? That was worse than throwing a marrow bone just out of reach of a tied up, starving dog. Was that all she was to these tall people around her? A dog? An animal?

Okay, she needed to leave now. She was working herself up, and worked-up was the last thing she needed to be, ever. Lockjaw raised her palms up, relinquishing any ties she had with the current situation. "Well, then, if y'all don't mind me, I've got stuff I need to go do."

"Well, good luck, then," The woman says, waving to Hewena as she leaves. "I'm serious about my offer, though."

Spoiler for Available destinations: Hewena Lockjaw:
    Barra's Fine Eatery
    13 Waterfront St.

Kalthesan Pantheon at Alten Tar
    intersection of Hilltop and Church

Old Valley Street Tenements
    surrounding Old Valley St.

Erkald's Pawn
    31 High St.

Tar Market
    24 Turton Road

Tar Waterfront