Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: KILL A GOD

With a simple thought of command, light poured in - figuratively and literally - through the hole and cracks of the wall and into the charred interior, as if vapour diffusing into dry air. It only took a brief moment until the interior was illuminated, nowhere comparable to natural light the sun provides but it was now much easier to see the surroundings.

"Thank me later," Ninifa said offhandedly, treading through the rubbles. "Mr. Barnes, correct? Please help me look for a medium sized white leather suitcase, not that color matters anymore..." The air is even worse here. With a veil of fresh air from outside conjured to cover her face and protect her lungs from the soot and stench, Ninifa inspected the ground and glanced through the faces of the burnt corpses. She recognized none of them.
    "I don't know where I would have put it in the Eatery, and truth be told, Mr. Barnes, I recall nothing of the blast nor anything about visiting the Eatery at all. If anything, as soon as we are done here, I would like to-"

A sparkle underneath the ceiling pillar. Ninifa crouched down and gently blew away the soot, and underneath were the shattered pieces of her glass ring, rendered powerless, yet still dutifully refracting the light. "No..."

She silently gathered all the pieces and pocketed them into her coat.

a distant citadel overlooking a monument at sea

"I'm sorry, ma'am," Barnes says. "If you don't mind my asking, ma'am, what's in this suitcase that you need it so badly?"

Outside, the inspector shook his head, and said, a bit more sympathetically this time, "I appreciate what you want to do, Miss... Er... Well, I appreciate that you want to go save lives, but this is, as far as I can tell, the scene of a mass murder. If you want to save lives, this just might be the place to do it."
    Meet Hot Singles Standing Right Behind You

Lockjaw, to be honest, was glad that one of the other survivors had decided to go inside- she could tell that that woman, by her swagger and her talk, was nothing but a prima donna. A headache waiting to happen. Lockjaw realized that she probably shouldn't be thinking so rudely about a stranger- what would Mama have to say about that?-, but frankly, and head-pains that would keep her from going home sooner that she could avoid was an automatic blessing in her books.

Now... she was stuck out here with only two of the survivors. One of them had the daftness to ask about the validity of the corpse-i-ness of the burnt corpses behind them (Lockjaw couldn't help but hear the chime of a cuckoo clock whenever she momentarily glanced in his general direction), the other was groveling with the police to let her go to work. Pfft- naive little thing. Begging wouldn't help, and the desperation that grew in her face and voice as she tried to bargain only made her look more guilty. Sadly, only the truly innocent were that self-incriminating....

Actually, the entire set-up was self-incriminating. All these people making demands when they were clearly suspect in the eyes of the coppers, a gentleman obsessed with... truly dead beings? And her. A dwarf in the wreckage of a burnt-up speak easy.

Sorry, mama, I might not be home for a bit.

In a fluid movement practiced from being in front of the police before, Lockjaw put her palm on her throat, clearing it a bit as she wiggled her hand down over her chest. Good, her locket was still there. She might have gone into a blind rage had it not. She curled her hand into a fist and pounded her chest, trying to get the imaginary frog out of her throat. "Well, officer," Lockjaw finally replied, "I hate to say that I don't have any clue what happened here, but that's the unfortunate truth."

The inspector, somewhat callously, places his hand on Evelyn's shoulder, as if to warn her not to try anything while he deals with the fourth member of the survivor party.

"The unfortunate truth," He says, coldly, "Is that we found you in a burnt-out speakeasy, surrounded by blood and brandy. Do you have any idea how much trouble you're in, shrink?"

He does his best to tower over the dwarf - an easy task in theory, but the inspector is not a tall man by any means, and the best he manages is a menacing loom.

Aw, he looks like a puppy trying to claim territory, Lockjaw thought as she manually twisted her eyebrows from an agitated furrow to an inquisitive raise. Cute. She rocked forward onto her heels, going into a crouch as she rested her arms on a knee. "Hmm, I'd have to say about as much as the other folk you found in the wreck, honestly."

She knew where this was going to go- she shouldn't be provoking the coppers, really. It was always a fine line between proving yourself right and digging your own grave, especially whenever there was this little evidence for or against you. But sometimes, Lockjaw just couldn't help herself. It was so fun to see these bumbling fools try and bite her ego, only to realize it was too thick to cut through. Could it get her arrested? Yes. Was she probably going to be arrested anyway? Yes.

Might as well make this entertaining. Perhaps let everyone run away. Perhaps, let a specific young nurse get to her job sooner rather than later because the cops can't multitask to save their lives.
    Last edited by ASaluteToYou; December 3rd, 2015 at 07:18 PM.

"Nothing of interest to you gents, obviously. You think I'm trying something funny? I am just doing my best to cooperate here." Ninifa replied, annoyingly, dropping the last piece of her ring into the pocket as she turned to Barnes. It was then did she finally find something of interest behind him.

Ah, the performing stage.

Or at least, the barely recognizable ruins of one. She did not usually perform outside of the Crossroads, being a loyal part of the crew and all, but every once in a while, it just didn't feel good not to sing for an audience. Perhaps she was singing here last night? Ninifa highly doubt it, but it was surely worth a try.
    "All it contains are cash, personal documents, spare clothes and medications, and by medications I mean actual medicine and not some lame euphemism for alcohol." She continued as she walked straight to the stage. "I'm traveling, you see, one in a hurry at that. The sooner we get this over with, the sooner you can let me go. It's how it works, right?"

Standing on the center spot of the partially collapsed platform, she turned back towards the direction of the dining space and scanned the rubbles, searching for the image in her head of an eatery full of people: eating ,drinking, chatting, waiting for entertainment. This is THE easiest spot to remember anything if I were here at all. Does it ring a bell? she asked herself.

IT DID.

She remembered. It was but a splitting image but she remembered being here and seeing what the eatery looked like before it was consumed by fire. Most importantly, she recalled, on this very spot, witnessing the unfortunate demise of a man.

"Barra...?" Ninifa put her hand on her head in disbelief.

Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar

At the inspector's aggressive change of tone and language in addressing the dwarf woman, Corbin forced himself to straighten to a more respectable posture than his hung-over slouch. Firmly, he said "I'm certain that the lady is just as eager to get this matter cleared up as any of us, my good man. I can't seem to recall meeting her before last night, but apparently I made a decision to share a meal with her; I assure you, were she any sort of devious ne'er-do-well, I would have done no such thing."

part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

"Because I'm sure you're such an upstanding citizen, if you even are a citizen," the inspector grumbles. "Both of you come with me."

The inspector gestures for the Corbin and Lockjaw to follow him into the building. He seems to forget that he's got Evelyn by the shoulder, and is, intentionally or not, dragging her along for the ride as well.

"You're going to take a good hard look at this and answer some questions," he says. "Weird, I didn't remember it being this bright in here."

"Ma'am?" Barnes asks Ninifa. "Do you remember something?"

A concerned bird comes to a landing on the sidewalk just outside the Eatery, looking for a certain member of the party.

"Please take your hands off of me," Evelyn said through clenched teeth. "I'm not resisting, just...don't touch me." I don't want to kill this inspector. I don't but he was prodding every one of her buttons. Just don't talk any more she prayed.

"Mr. Barnes..." Ninifa gasped, thrilled to have finally dug up something useful in her head yet she couldn't help but feel grief for the Eatery owner's death. Her boss idolized him and aspired to turn the Crossroads into something like the Eatery one day. Seeing everything go down like this would break his heart. "I saw how he died - this is his eatery, right? Him, Barra..."

She helps them, they help her. This nonsense was as time-consuming as it could get and Ninifa really wanted to get back on track as soon as possible. But this blast... it was simply too suspicious and what she recalled just raised more questions than answering them. Barra's Fine Eatery? Alten Tar? The very last thing she remotely remembered, she was halfway across the land and heading to Mosirith. Or was it Kal Tonas? Her memory was in a really bad shape. More importantly, a part of her wanted to stay until she figured what was going on. What if, even by the slightest bit, this blast had something to do with that?

"I was on this very spot last night and I saw him," She tried her best to compose another sentence from her tangled thoughts, fingers buried in hair. " I can't remember who or what did it, but I remember seeing him here, being hacked apart like a piece of stubborn firewood, with..."

I need to remember more, it's not enough. Think, Nini, think!
    Wait...

"With a battle axe? I don't understand..." Ninifa paused, bewildered. "The kind of old axe you normally see hanging on a rich idiot's wall by the fireplace, but why?"
    As outlandish as it sounded this couldn't be mistaken, for she remembered the axe so clearly she could almost conjure a perfect copy of it.

"...Mr. Barnes? Call in the inspector and I will show you both the scene I recall. Quite literally."

Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar

"Certainly, officer," Corbin said brightly, winking at the dwarf woman as soon as the police turned their backs to begin walking toward the ruins.

"No, you're absolutely correct, I am not a Kalthesan citizen--I commend your indubitably marvelous ear for the subtle nuances of foreign accents. But I assure you, good sir! My passage was fully documented, and I have every right to be plying my trade in Alten Tar, though I of course commend your dedication and thoroughness in the name of your city's security."

part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

"Well, yes, I do have to really beat the path to keep this city under control sometimes..." the inspector muses through his beard. "...And, it is good to actually be appreciated for a change..."

His hand leaves Evelyn's shoulder as he leads the group into the burned-out building.

"But! I can't just let you walk away, you understand?" He continues. "Something very serious happened here last night, and I'm going to get to the bottom of it!"

"Sir!" Barnes calls from the foot of the stage. "Miss, uh.. This lady... Uh..." He trails off. "She," he says, pointing to Ninifa, "Has something to show us."

"Gods' stones," the inspector mutters, shambling over to the stage to join the constable and Ninifa. "Finally!"
    Last edited by Ducky; December 4th, 2015 at 10:40 PM.

"Eon, if you may," Ninifa spoke to Barnes quietly, nodding. "My name is Ninifa Eon. You will need that on the official record sooner or later anyway."

She then turned her head to the inspector and the people he brought into the scene, not moving from the spot still. "Hello officer and, oh, you three."
    She remembered them: the anxious nurse, mister corpse, and the dwarf woman, her fellow survivors even though she did not recall knowing them at all, at least, not until now. Do they know what is going on? Unlikely, she thought, had they know anything they would have either caught the inspector's attention or got here earlier than she did.

"I will assume you are all here for the same reason I partly do. Well, thank me for being here first cause what I'm going to do next might just make your jobs a lot easier."

"And what, exactly, is that?" The inspector asks.

The conjured light dimmed as she began to re-focus her power, smirking lightly.
    "Now pay attention, inspector, you three as well. I can't guarantee I can do this again."

Light returned to the interior in the vicinity of the group, but this time, it was much different. In a few seconds, burnt ground was washed away revealing polished wooden floors, fallen structures disappeared and rubbles replaced by well furbished interiors illumined by the wall lamps. Rather impressively, this small part of the eatery was restored in its former glory.

The illusion was flawed, of course. Upon closer look, one could easily see through the blurred, translucent images superimposing over the charred ruins. Tables were at best analogous shapes that vaguely resemble one, devoid of any details, and every other furniture all had an uncannily 'flat' look in them. Occupying the tables were equally unsettling, ghostly figures of the now-dead diners, obviously not memorized in great details.

It was difficult enough to conjure a small image clearly, let alone something of this size and with a bad memory like that. "My skill is a bit rusty..." Ninifa gritted through her teeth. No, this isn't the most important part yet, she thought, but if you people have anything worth remembering, you better do it NOW.

Next to the inspector and Barnes, however, was the image that she remembered best. Though still blurred, it was a lot clearer and more solid than the rest. A stout man frozen in mid air, arching back in vain attempt to defend himself. Jammed deep in his chest was the blade of a sharp, old-fashioned battleaxe.

"This, inspector. This is what I want to show you. "

"This is useful!" The inspector says, studying the axe. "Fires, that's a real axe - probably at least going back to the Age of Adventurers."

"You, uh... You study that kind of thing, sir?" Barnes asks.

"One other thing, while you four are here," the inspector says, visibly softened by Ninifa's show. "Do any of you recognize this?"

The sketch artist comes forward and reveals a sketch of a bearded man in full plate armor, lined with comfortable-looking fur.

"Griggs?" The inspector asks.

"Oops, wrong one," the artist says, frantically flipping through pages in his notebook.

"Can't they just look at the image for themselves?" Barnes asks.

"Right, yes," the inspector answers. "Do any of you recognize this?" He points to the crude image of the gallows at the epicenter of the blast damage.

"No, Officer. I don't; I'm sorry," said Evelyn.

Lockjaw winced at the sight of the symbol, tension headache flaring up. The warm, yellow lights of the bar were burning unnaturally bright. Screaming... yelling. A man in a trench with the same symbol- perhaps more skillfully- embroidered on one of his lapels. Tommy gun in her face. The tiny rush of pleasure she got as she cracked her knuckles. Rage.

The dwarf put a hand to her head, trying to rub the headache away. "I remember that, vaguely. It was on a man's jacket. A rather angry gent that owned a Tommy gun, if memory serves correct. He might have a fractured skull" if my hopes serve correct. "Wouldn't be outside of reason to think the symbol might be related to some sort of gang, would it?

The inspector turns to face the dwarf, listening to what she has to say.

"And I suppose you know all about this city's crime," he grumbles, but doesn't attempt to confirm or deny the possibility.

At this point, the inspector makes the mistake of stepping on one of the pristine wooden lines forming the gallows mark on the floor. While only visible for a split second, a creature vaguely resembling an earthworm of impossible length speeds up the inspector's left pant leg and coils around his leg. The man falls to the ground, clutching his upper thigh and trying to push the creature down towards his feet.

"It's biting me!" He screams.

The unharmed section of floor, resembling a gallows, springs up out of the ground into an upright position, slowly elongating itself until its upper bar almost touches the ceiling.

"Panthea," the inspector whimpers, looking up while trying to reach into his own pant leg and take hold of the worm.

Before he can get a grip, it's on the move again, squeezing past his belt and emerging above his hip, speeding up the outside of his shirt and wrapping around his neck. In the time it takes for the officers around him to try to make a decision, the creature ties itself into a noose and ascends to wrap its blood-stained head around the bar of the gallows, lifting the man in its grip off of the floor. Finishing the process, the worm's flesh dries up and splits into threads, until the short man hangs from the gallows by a solid, blood-soaked rope noose, almost half a meter off the ground.

The inspector struggles with the rope at his neck, flailing wildly.
    Last edited by Ducky; December 7th, 2015 at 09:42 PM.

Focus, gone. Light, gone. The illusions dissolved in an instant.
    "Inspector, NO!" Ninifa shouted, trying to come back to her senses, but something was not right.

She realized, in a momentary lost of concentration and strength from over-exertion, her veil of clean air was gone. Flying dust and soot caught her off guard and immediately filled her lungs, causing an uncontrollable coughing fit.
    "Haa...ack! Hhh..." Collapsed with both knees and a palm on floor, Ninifa lifted her head high and glared at the gallows, right arm outstretched, desperate to channel her wind powers once more.

Sharp, precise bursts of wind weather the rope, fraying threads loose and ripping them free. Unfortunately, if this has any effect on the structural integrity of the rope, it doesn't show, and the inspector continues to flail helplessly in the trap.

Lockjaw bit her lip, about to retort as the trap sprung on the investigator. In a flash, she went into action. Why? Why help these disrespectful men that degraded her? Some would say heroism, some would claim a deep-rooted sense of good-will that could never be quenched. Really, the reasons were much less glamorous:

What did you say about me, you pantheons-damned giant? If you keep going around saying this street-sludge about me when I've literally done nothing to you, I might have to lean you down here and break your nose with my forehead and shower in the blo- where in the Pantheons' names are you going, punk? Get back here so I can scream in your face when I prove you wrong!- Ah, crap.

"Cut the rope! CUT THE ROPE!" She called out generally to the rest of the people as she got under the hanging man, placing his feet on her shoulders and lifting up. Hopefully, this would create some slack for the guy, letting him breath.

Despite her best efforts, Hewena is unable to raise the hanging inspector. Though there are no outward signs to indicate it, he seems to be impossibly heavy, and she cannot even raise the back-breaking weight of his two feet, much less the rest of his body.

The inspector's flailing grows weaker.

Snapped out of her shock by the dwarf woman's call to action, Evelyn fumbles for the knife she kept under her skirts. Her slayer instincts were enjoying the chaos and imminent death, but this was a prime example as to why she had to fight them. This is not what Evelyn wants. She ran over with her knife drawn and reached as high as she could to get to the rope. Being tall helped, but she could still barely reach. Unable to get past the noose part of the rope, Evelyn started dragging her knife across the knot by the police officer's nape.

Threads tear loose from the rope, falling to the ground, as Evelyn cuts through the rope. Anyone paying attention to these threads may notice that, upon landing, they become hair-thin worms, which drill into the burned wooden floor and disappear into the ground.

Unfortunately, this does not seem to aid the inspector, as the rope seems to cling unfailingly to the inspector's neck. In fact, the skin around the rope seems to stretch itself out to cling to the noose.

And then, suddenly, the gallows vanishes, rope and all. The inspector's corpse lands atop the mark of the gallows on the floor, while those who were attempting to rescue him land a mercifully-safe distance from the cursed mark.

"Thompson," a ranking officer in the room barks. "Go fetch a curse squad - tell them we've got some kind of, uh, killing rune in here."

A thin, pale constable scurries out of the building, by all signs relieved to be outdoors. The other officers wait in silence, staring at the body on the ground.