Register

Thread: The Whale Fins

Default The Whale Fins

Okay so, it's been a VERY long time since I'd put up anything here(it's been a very long time since I'd posted anything at all) but, anyway, I've been working on this for quite some time now and I guess it's probably time to show it.

(clicky for larger res when available)

What is this?
    The Whale Fins is a an OCverse about a bunch of animal-hybrid monsters having fun and whatnot. There isn't much of a plot there, however. All in all, aside from having fun drawing, this is just me seeing how far my current skills can take me.

I don't really have much digital art to show for now, but for the monsters, here are what's been done and one of the many sketches I've made.

(this character is NOT part of the silhouette shot above)

Help?
    1. Realism vs. Cartoon
    First of all, I'm not professionally trained as an artist and likely won't be. Even till now, I'm still learning from every single sketch as I draw. I'm kind of stumped on how to balance between having realistic/not-offmodel anatomy and cartoon anatomy, or how to draw with good anatomy at all. Help on cartoon anatomy would be much appreciated.

2. Art Software
    Currently, the digital art above is drawn with 100% vector using the software Inkscape. I do enjoy vector art very much especially when the tablet is not always available to me due to me still studying far away from home(read: an ocean apart). However, I don't see many people use Inkscape, I wonder if there's better software for vector art?

3. Comic
    WF is an OCverse without plot, yes. However, I do want to draw a few comics to explain the story background, or just to have a few skits, really. This will also be very helpful in case I change my mind and evolve WF into a webcomic. Are there any good tutorials on comic techniques?

Any comments, questions, suggestions or criticisms, welcomed and appreciated!

a distant citadel overlooking a monument at sea

Wow! It's great to have you back and sharing with us!!!

Regarding cartooniness, it's just a personal preference, but I generally think that the further your characters are from literal human beings, the more cartoon-y you generally want to go. As it is, I actually really love the look of the creatures on display here and would 100% read a comic drawn in that style.
    Meet Hot Singles Standing Right Behind You

I think I can speak for the majority of us, if not all of us when I say we've missed you!
    Awesome to have you back, I'm looking forward to see how awesome this project will turn out!

I'm really liking this idea.

This looks promising, looking forward to updates

I like the clean yet detailed style you've chosen.

DQ 1337 Member ...I'm not telling you!'s Avatar

I see you're venturing out of your usual comfort zone for birds! These designs are good and weird, good stuff Tyle ^^

Thank you all very much for the warm comments! They really mean a lot to me on continuing this project

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Regarding cartooniness, it's just a personal preference, but I generally think that the further your characters are from literal human beings, the more cartoon-y you generally want to go.
    Note taken - again, I'll say I'm not too good on anatomy, and it's very likely there'll be inconsistency or off-model going on, but I sure as hell am going to try - after all, improving my skills is one of the main reason I started WF in the first place!

Quote Originally Posted by Tobu View Post
    I think I can speak for the majority of us, if not all of us when I say we've missed you!
    Thank you VERY much for that! I can absolutely assure everyone that I still check on DQ pretty regularly, it's just I'm never too witty or eloquent to make good posts, you know. I don't like to post for the sake of post counts or to acknowledge my own existence Guess that's just my fate to be a regular lurker then.

The first of the main cast - Mol! As his name implies, Mol is part moth and part owl(barn owl to be exact) and probably part something else too. A major part of WF physiology is that they are made up of a number of different animals' genetics, with usually 2 or 3 being most prominent. And guess what? Being part moth gives you the perk of being able to drink through your tongue apparently

The more observant eyes might notice my hotlinks direct to DeviantArt - I do appreciate it if you bother to check it out at http://avianhandicrafter.deviantart.com/ - more info regarding the storyverse and characters will be over there, though I don't want to explain too much on everything: that's the work of the eventual skits and comics.

I'll have a ref/profile art of the entire cast along with more supplementary materials or even comics, excite! My semester will start on next monday, so updates would probably be a lot less often from now on, but as always, comments, suggestions, questions or criticisms, all welcomed and appreciated!

a distant citadel overlooking a monument at sea

I actually really like the look of Mol. He looks like someone I'd wanna hang out with.
    Meet Hot Singles Standing Right Behind You

Mol is an adorable creature!
    Really liking this clean vector-based artstyle!

i am 12 and wat is this? Diplomacy Domination Victory Aval's Avatar

This whole thing looks pretty cute.

Re: cartooniness and abstraction I think the level you're at right now with the Mol design is pretty ideal; I'd try to develop a consistent shorthand for specific features like eyes though. Inkscape seems fine if you can easily and quickly use it and get good results. Industry standard is Adobe Fireworks if you want to check out an alternative.

I think making a comic is a great idea; if anything I'd have that be the focus of a project. There's basically no way for an audience to engage with a pure plotless ocverse. Aaron Diaz has an excellent series of comic theory tutorials that really taught me a lot - start there and keep clicking the "new" button at the bottom to find the rest. On top of that Understanding Comics is a very well regarded bit of theory but I've never read it and have no idea how much of it can be applied practically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Polo View Post
    why the fuck can i never find what I'm after this is so gay

Really digging those designs :3

DQ 1337 Member

This looks really great, Tyle! I really want to hug your moth-owl hybrid and the featherly naga, they are so cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyle View Post
    1. Realism vs. Cartoon
    First of all, I'm not professionally trained as an artist and likely won't be. Even till now, I'm still learning from every single sketch as I draw. I'm kind of stumped on how to balance between having realistic/not-offmodel anatomy and cartoon anatomy, or how to draw with good anatomy at all. Help on cartoon anatomy would be much appreciated.
    There is a universe with anatomy tutorials, both cartoon and realistic. In my views when cartoon anatomy, I'm most learned from drawing with the help of shapes, curves and the invisible action line that makes stiff toons more alive. You can also make more details on your characters like snake or fish scale on your "naga" for example for more "realistic" look.
    2. Art Software
    Currently, the digital art above is drawn with 100% vector using the software Inkscape. I do enjoy vector art very much especially when the tablet is not always available to me due to me still studying far away from home(read: an ocean apart). However, I don't see many people use Inkscape, I wonder if there's better software for vector art?
    I only know Adobe's Illustrator but you either have to torrent or buy for a sum of money. Vector art isnt my best side to know sadly. I hope you will find something!
    3. Comic
    WF is an OCverse without plot, yes. However, I do want to draw a few comics to explain the story background, or just to have a few skits, really. This will also be very helpful in case I change my mind and evolve WF into a webcomic. Are there any good tutorials on comic techniques?
    Once again, there is a universe filled with tutorials on how to make a good comic. You just have to find the ones it fits not only your style and art, but your story with your OCverse as well. I only know that the base of making a comic and it's storytelling/storyboard > page panels > sketch the page to make the eye "reads" the panels in a natural way > speech bubbles and sfx > finishing touches.
    Here is one I saved but Aval's tips are really good too.

Also, Lackadaisy have nice tips when it comes to characterdesign if you ever want to make more characters.
    And what I've learned recently thumbnails are good to know if you ever like to draw something really nice but you find it bad.
    Of course when coming to make a story for your comic I like Pixars tips for storytelling.

Hopefully I helped you a little! And good luck with your project of yours.
    Boomer's fangirl since 2006

Holy duck, thank you guys very much for the generous feedback!

Sincere thanks to both Aval and Dash for the very useful links, I've read most and saved all the links you two have provided They will be very useful for me and the future of WF.
    It's going to be a while before another update on the thread due to me having some academic things to deal with first. Next time, hopefully, I'll try my best to produce something really nice!

A small gift to DQ before I leave this thread alone for some time, unrelated to WF but it's still an art practice I guess? I actually do want to post it here properly but I don't really feel like making another thread for it(or revive the 2-and-something-year-ago funny castle picture thread, for that matter >:v ), but if you guys think I should, sure why not?