Register
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Castle IV Teaser

Hey folks!

I guess some of you thought this day would never come, it's been a six year silence after all, but I'm happy to announce that Castle IV is really happening! Just to spice up the announcement, Vic encouraged me to make a teaser along with it. Have a look!

Long story short, I've been working on Part A for a bit over a year now, but I didn't want to give any false hopes in case I felt the project couldn't be completed. But now I know it will.

To be honest I'm not sure what more to say but I guess people have questions, so feel free to question all you want and I'll compile them into this thread or update the FAQ or something!

Thanks to Vic for the brainstorming and ideas and credits to Polo for mixing the audio!

See you in the forums!
    - Oscar

Questions and answers so far:

Quote Originally Posted by NoxArcana View Post
    Is someone going to be making the music?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinoi View Post
    6. Who is working on music this time?
    I aim to make the music myself this time. There are a few reasons for this. Even though I'm sure other more talented composers could make epic stuff fit for the series, I enjoy having full control over the timing/sound etc. To be frank I also felt quite bad to sometimes push other people to make the music (Repercussion), especially when I turned down pieces that I felt didn't work out. Especially considering this was something that someone had created purely in their free time. Also, just taking music from various sources online don't feel good either because it won't be tailored/original for the script. And taking music from movies/trailers don't feel good for the same reason, as well as the ethical aspect of it.

I've tried to make music before as early as back for Repercussions (the after credits bonus scene music in Rep Part D2 was actually by me trying to mimic the credit's "theme" song), but my skills weren't too good. I've spent quite some time since then trying to improve my skills and I think that I've now reached a level of quality that will work for Castle IV. Polo also helped me out with the final mix for the teaser, and he will also be helping out with custom made sound effects, so it feels good to have his talent available.

Quote Originally Posted by NoxArcana View Post
    And will there be voices?
    5. Are original voice actors returning?
    Yes, just like previous episodes. Though I haven't yet decided about the voice actors. Perhaps some of the old actors aren't even available or willing. I aim for a high level of quality in every aspect of the movie, sound and voices included. That means I can't tolerate low quality microphones. I've had the idea of actually paying for a bit more professional voice acting as well, but that depends on how much that actually costs, perhaps DQ:ers/Enthusiasts would be willing to spare some change to make that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Killing_Time View Post
    ... that's some interesting change of style. I suppose it's only a somewhat natural progression from stickfigures and I dig that you've decided on a sort of hybrid between stick figures and human characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by aciDC14 View Post
    Although i would have hoped for full on human i can more or less accept this with open arms.
    And I like the new art style. It might take me some time to get used to it since for me, Castle was defined mostly by that art style you had.
    Ah yeah, the art style. My aim here is to make it obvious you are still watching the Castle series, but with enhancements to make it more on pair of my current ability. I understand that not everyone will be pleased by this change, especially of the characters, and that's all fine, I don't expect anything else. Though for me this change is important.

The characters have been transformed into what I refer to as Slim-Figures Essentially this is going a bit more anatomically closer to the human body – Non spherical heads, actual hips and shoulders. The anime-ish or DBZ inspired eyes have also been pushed into something smaller and more human like. Though the colors and shading should still resemble those of earlier episodes from the Flash era. I think these small changes will allow me to put more expression and depth into the character animations.

I'll be sure to give a few examples in my blog later on about the art style, so hang in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    So, out of curiosity, now that this seems to be in 3D, do you have reusable models and textures for the characters and environments?
    1. Is it gonna be fully 3D?
    Yes, it's all 3D. Thing is, I aim for it to not look "cliche 3D". This means I want a cel-shaded Flash-alike look that still screams Castle all over it. One of the biggest pros to this approach is that I won't have to re-draw the character one time and then again, and again, and again (repeat for few hundred frames). Downside is that set-up time has been quite lengthy.

I knew next to nothing about rigging 3D chatacters (and man that's quite a lot to take in) before I started and that's also one of the reasons I'm not as far into actual production yet as you might expect me to be after over a year. Now however, I have ended up with a robust and flexible rig that supports what I'm looking for so from here and on things will hopefully move bit more swiftly. I will be able to use this rig for all of the main characters, I just switch out the character model. I can also re-use animations, such as a walk or run-cycle and transfer between characters. In other words lots of pros now that I'm past the initial set up phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilly89 View Post
    Ok, now, someone get onto brightening/contrasting every frame of this to uncover any hidden messages!
    Ah, that would've been fun but I actually forgot! I'll be honest – you won't find any hidden stuff in this teaser, but I love that shit so hopefully in the real deal or something

2. How many parts will there be? 3. Estimated date of release for the first part?
    Okay so my reasoning here is basically that I want to push out results to you guys as soon as I finish a part. This is the opposite of what I did for Castle so far (all parts in one big chunk). Also the parts may be a bit shorter than those of earlier installments in the series, but more in total (perhaps A to F or even G I dunno). I'm just thinking it's quite boring for me and you to not see anything for a few years, especially considering the long wait already, and then have it all in one go. If you disagree you'd always have the option to simply wait for everything to finish.

So the closest goal at hand is to finish Part A, and my hopes are to release that sometime during 2016.

4. When is it taking place?
    Without spoiling too much. Part A starts out by giving a brief flashback (re-animated) of the events inside the Altar-Room in Castle III Part C. Thereafter we finally focus on what happens to Lloyd.

7. Will it be finally revealed what is Boomer using for his hair to stay the way it does for countless hours?
    One who waits in patience will find out!

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoSora View Post
    1. Will any of the original members (I.E. Boomer) have any other features like scars, eye colour, stuff like that?
    I'm thinking there should be a bit more customization between characters yes. Examples like you mentioned but also in gear and equipments, etc, but also anatomical differences such as Boomer having a bit more buff body type and Romanov being very slim.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoSora View Post
    2. Are the monsters going to be as detailed?
    Not exactly sure which monsters you mean but I aim to up quality in all aspects, so I will probably not simplify the monsters like the "evolved evil" or "flying daemon" etc, rather the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowtime23 View Post
    Oscar, will this be the ultimate episode in the castle series? Or have you not decided yet?
    I aim for Castle IV to end the series yes, though I think I could tell endless stories within the same universe which could focus on the characters earlier in their life or such.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewmino View Post
    1. You said you've been working on Castle IV part A for a year now, so I gotta ask, how long (approximately) will it take you to finish each part?
    It's a bit tricky to speculate, but up until now it's been lots and lots of planning, as well as learning stuff to be able to make the production in the first place. So at this point, after a year, I feel I've reached a state where these "research and learning" steps are starting to finally pay off, therefore I think the production itself will move more swiftly from now on. My aim is to make at the very least one release annually, but hopefully faster than that. It's still too early to know for sure, but we'll find out as I progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewmino View Post
    2. Why is it called Castle IV? I mean, it's not the fourth Castle is it?
    No, there is no fourth Castle. But the name itself refers to the series' fourth installment, not actual amount of Castles. You should think of Repercussions as 3.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternity View Post
    Hey Oscar!! Will there be new characters in the series?
    Yup!

WHAT.

..... WHAT.

OHMAHGHERD it's here I wonder how this will turn out, looks really interesting o:

EDIT: Yo Oscar, can I post that concept? :U

EDIT 2.0: fuckit, here goes - Bunch o' stickmen from 2014

Last edited by Ecfor; August 30th, 2015 at 05:11 PM.

i am 12 and wat is this? Diplomacy Domination Victory Aval's Avatar

Oscar you do realize april fool's is like eight months from now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Polo View Post
    why the fuck can i never find what I'm after this is so gay

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Long story short, I've been working on Part A for a bit over a year now
    Ha! I knew he was up to something!

No sleep for me tonight, though. *watches for the fifth time*

Is someone going to be making the music? And will there be voices?

I'm a level 22 Buttbuttin Killing_Time's Avatar

Endless squees aside, that's some interesting change of style. I suppose it's only a somewhat natural progression from stickfigures and I dig that you've decided on a sort of hybrid between stick figures and human characters.

Are you gonna get your ass on Skype so all of us can annoy you?

Quote Originally Posted by Killing_Time View Post
    Endless squees aside, that's some interesting change of style. I suppose it's only a somewhat natural progression from stickfigures and I dig that you've decided on a sort of hybrid between stick figures and human characters.

Are you gonna get your ass on Skype so all of us can annoy you?
    Yeah I could talk a bit about that in my second post. As for right now, the bed eagerly awaits me

a distant citadel overlooking a monument at sea

Huh. Well, I'll be...
    Meet Hot Singles Standing Right Behind You

OSCAR YOU SON OF A BITCH!.
    YOU'RE DOING IT!
    YOU'RE ACTUALLY FUCKING DOING IT!
    IT'S HAPPENING!.

Although i would have hoped for full on human i can more or less accept this with open arms.
    Last edited by aciDC14; August 29th, 2015 at 11:38 PM.
    Oscar is better husbando-material then Victory

Watch a flood of new members start rolling in...

I guess some of you thought this day would never come, it's been a six year silence after all, but I'm happy to announce that Castle IV is really happening!*
    Not sure how relevant this will be to the rest of y'all, but if anyone has ever seen that episode from Steven Universe where Garnet and Amethyst fuse and Steven and Amethyst are so exited they basically spent three seconds of screen time squealing at eachother...

That was me at the moment I read this. I am now in official hype mode. May your earplugs be strong and your tolerance high.

I AM ACTUALLY ALMOST YELLING OF JOY AND I CANT BELIEVE IT
    HOLY SHIT
    OSCAR YOU MADE MY DAY

And I must admit; I was sure that Castle 4 will never happen. So happy to see I was wrong! And I like the new art style. It might take me some time to get used to it since for me, Castle was defined mostly by that art style you had.
    Last edited by Shinoi; August 30th, 2015 at 12:04 AM.
    Knowledge is power - and power is hilarious

Is Etrius The Avatar?.
    Oscar is better husbando-material then Victory

This is the very reason I occasional visited this site every couple months/years. To see if you would be carrying on with this series! Now that is happening, HOLY SHIT!!

Rees303 takes the words right outta my mouth here. Pretty excited. I wonder if the entire thing's gonna be 3D.. I remember someone (maybe TOH?) was joking that the next Castle would be completely 3D when the "ride like the wind" music video was released. Probably noone thought that it actually would be. If it will be. Glad to hear you're sure about finishing this one, Oscar! Working on this for a year and not telling a word.. you sneaky rascal.

a distant citadel overlooking a monument at sea

So, out of curiosity, now that this seems to be in 3D, do you have reusable models and textures for the characters and environments?
    Meet Hot Singles Standing Right Behind You

God dammit!

This is exactly how I hoped castle 4 would look if it ever happened, am hyped to bursting :o

... What?

I... How... This... I...

###ERROR###
    Dylan.exe has stopped responding.
    Press Y to continue HYPING!
    Press N to stop NOT HYPING!

In all seriousness, this is like my childhood returning once more, which I greatly welcome.
    Ok, now, someone get onto brightening/contrasting every frame of this to uncover any hidden messages!
    Last edited by Dilly89; August 30th, 2015 at 08:26 AM.
    Feel free to visit my small part of the universe.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Dilly890

I don't know about you guys, but I'm gonna celebrate by watching this

Questions to Oscar:
    1. Is it gonna be fully 3D?
    2. How many parts will there be?
    3. Estimated date of release for the first part?
    4. When is it taking place?
    5. Are original voice actors returning?
    6. Who is working on music this time?
    7. Will it be finally revealed what is Boomer using for his hair to stay the way it does for countless hours?
    Knowledge is power - and power is hilarious

I saw the teaser somewhere else so I came.

I guess I should actually watch the series now...

Formerly Tymedi

Default Awesome

This is serendipitous.

The first time I visit DQ in a long while and I see news of Castle IV.

Good on you, Oscar, Victory, Polo and the Castle Series staff. I hope completing the Castle Series project will be fulfilling.

You could say Etrius waking up from his long slumber is an allegory to Oscar breaking his six-year silence on Castle IV.

I wonder if the Puppetmaster, Lloyd, the Mindworms, and the Superior will all be making a return too.

Loving the new animation too.
    Last edited by Kenneth; August 30th, 2015 at 09:27 PM.

Glad to see you guys still care about Castle!

I've compiled a short Q/A in the second post of the thread. Feel free to ask anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyemdi View Post
    You could say Etrius waking up from his long slumber is an allegory to Oscar breaking his six-year silence on Castle IV.

<---- Cringes cause of username. Smiles cause of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Glad to see you guys still care about Castle!
    FRIGGEN WUV CASTLE <3