Register
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

"The callows," Charcoal started, "were playing a game as callows do. There is no danger and I advise you stop making a scene, make yourself scarce, and enjoy the party!" Charcoal's eyes were blazing; she found his absolute lack of sense a personal affront and the words that left her mouth were little more than a hiss.

i am 12 and wat is this? Diplomacy Domination Victory Aval's Avatar

"Umm," Stylus glanced up, his watering eye now bloodshot. Of course Meccano made it out that he was crying from his insults. And now Whet was talking to him. Life was terrible.

She seemed to be laughing though. "I, uh. Sorry. About the puke. And, thanks. I meant I thought you and lullaby probably cleaned it up."

Stylus tilted his head for just a moment.puke...?

"Oh, that. Don't worry about it." He rubbed his eye. He hadn't seen Whet behave like this before but he didn't want to make her feel self-conscious about it.

"It's mostly Lullaby you should thank anyway; I'm not very good at tasks that require lots of bending down. I was mostly there for moral support." He gave her a small, self-deprecating smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Polo View Post
    why the fuck can i never find what I'm after this is so gay

I'm a level 22 Buttbuttin Killing_Time's Avatar

Whet felt a little taken aback by Stylus' reaction. Was that episode not etched into his mind like it was into hers? Or did he not want to give the impression he remembered? Did she just reveal all of her cards and would he use this against her? Whet bit her lip in an effort to remind herself not to think like that. She had lost enough friendships already. She noticed as Stylus rubbed his eye but with 16 in mind she decided not to inquire.

"It's mostly Lullaby you should thank anyway; I'm not very good at tasks that require lots of bending down. I was mostly there for moral support."

Whet looked to Lullaby as Stylus mentioned her, noticing how even at a distance she didn't seem comfortable. "I'll thank her when I have the chance." Whet attempted to meet his smile but realized his seemed apologetic. She tensed up as she found she didn't know how to react. She thought of how she would've reacted if one of her old friends had shown this sort of modesty. "Oh shut up and do better next time!" Hmm. That one probably wouldn't work. What would she want someone to tell her? "Your effort is appreciated." Maybe? Too late to take it back.

Ouch. While Whet's tone and expression didn't seem to carry malice it was just awkward enough to let the conversation grind to a momentary halt.

After a while Stylus cleared his throat. "So I suppose we're going to be spending a lot more time together. I saw you talking to Aerator a lot recently, what craft are you specializing in?"
    Last edited by Aval; September 13th, 2015 at 12:53 AM.

Whet could've damned near kicked herself for the conversation ending like that. It seemed Stylus hadn't taken it as well as she had hoped. She was relieved when he began to talk again, at least until he asked about her craft and her face fell a little. "Oh, uhm. Weapons construction," she almost mumbled. "- What about you? What are you specializing in?" She asked him with some more energy, trying to move the conversation away from her.

A second person today who didn't seem to notice his historic naming ceremony. Did these assholes just ignore anything that wasn't related to them?

Stylus made a mostly successful effort at keeping the self-importance from his voice when he elaborated, "as a matter of fact, I was made Wordkeeper's Apprentice." Hence the stylus, idiot. "That means I'll have unlimited access to the archives and I'll be able to write what I want."

He glanced aside, "I think first I need to build myself a better leg, though. Or at least design it. Practical skills are very important to me."
    Last edited by Aval; September 11th, 2015 at 03:57 AM.

"Oh," Whet started. She realized the apprenticeship announcement was something notable from the rest of the naming ceremony. Here's yet another person who is above me. Guide, why are you punishing me like this?

Nothing but her own experience had managed to stick in her mind from the ceremony and she felt a turn in her stomach sifting through her memories of it in an attempt to look for the name of the crippled boy before her. "I think," she paused, "I was too concerned with myself to... In fact, uh, I only know Lullaby's name because I overheard it." She tried to look apologizing, but it was not an expression she was used to showing anyone but her elders.

She felt a stone growing in her stomach as she acknowledged the importance of his role. Jealousy? Shame? Even the useless cripple is doing better. She felt tired. Exhausted by the crowd and her inability to hold a simple conversation without salting fresh wounds. How could she have gone from feeling so big and powerful to something as small and useless as this? Her attempt to show her apology was rather quickly substituted by a shameful, defeated look and she turned away to hide it.

Lullaby was relieved when Meccano finally lifted his arm from her shoulders to greet Tumi. Without a word she slipped away toward Loft who was flat on her back with callows triumphantly on top of her.

"Have you defeated it?" she asked the callows, although she was looking at Loft.

This was better. This was home.
    Creator of overly complex costume backstories.

a distant citadel overlooking a monument at sea

Humiliated, Pierce drifted towards a large group of people, most of whom turned out to be callows, which was okay because it meant he could mingle a bit. As he approached, though he realized that they were piled atop someone.

You cannibals! He started to cry, before recalling Charcoal's advice mid-sentence and revising accordingly: "You caaallows having fun there?"

No-one would suspect a thing.
    Meet Hot Singles Standing Right Behind You

"Yeah! The clave is safe thanks to me!" shouted a girl while she flex her muscles; "I am the best hunteress ever!"

"Nooooo, you're not even gonna be a huntress, 13. You'll be lucky if you make it to being a builder who cleans up"

"You take that back, 2" She sneered. She lunged at the taller boy but was held back by some other callows. One of them whispered something in her ear which seemed to placate her, but she still glared at 2. A little callow, a boy who was 29 years away from being named toddled up to Lullaby on boney legs.

"Missus Lady? Am I going to die?" He asked the question so matter of factly one would assume he asked that of all the people he met.

Lullaby knelt down to the boy's level.

"Now why would you ask that?" She asked as though it was a silly but interesting question. Everyone knew too well how many callows they lost each year.

"Because I heard one of the dams say that there's no more food and they're gonna stop feeding the worst callows; is that true?" The boy was on the edge of tears now.

Lullaby gathered the small boy into a hug.

"Oh no, of course it's not," Lullaby said, soothingly. "You must have misheard her. The worst I can think of is that there was a mistake in the kitchen and not everyone would be able to enjoy the feast tonight. And even if you were one of the bad callows, we can all survive missing a meal. And even that situation seems unlikely to me."

The boy had thick blubbering tears running down his face and his voice was choked with thick hot emotion; "Do you promise not to let me starve?" He blinked up at her.

"I promise," Lullaby said. "Do you remember who you heard this from?"

Pierce listened intently. The Clave? Out of food? Unthinkable!

"Don't worry," he said, butting into the conversation. "When I get out into the tunnels, I'll find you some food!"

Surely someone as intelligent as he was would have no effort remedying this crisis. On reflection, that would explain Charcoal's impatience with his completely understandable mistake from earlier.

Huh. well that was... unexpected, Loft thought to herself as she looked at the scene Pierce had caused from her horizontal position. Normally, Pierce was ambivalent about being the punchline of many of her tales- she wasn't really used to the concept of Pierce killing the story by just being there. As the children argued over her limp body, she gave this a good think- why did this upset her? Because she didn't have the callows' attention anymore? She had gained and lost attention many a time; such was the life of a story teller. If she really wanted to, she could easily get their attention again. She looked back to Pierce and Charcoal. But, I guess attention is bad to have now....

It suddenly hit her like a bag of rocks, making her breath catch in her throat and her stomach do flip-flops. It bothered her so much because this precious time with the callows was all she was going to get for the next year. She was an adult today, and would be an adult tomorrow, and would continue on being an adult for as long as the Gide see fit. The pleasantries of childhood were all going away. Perhaps they're already gone.

Rolling up into a standing position, Loft left the crowd of callows quietly and refrained from enticing them for another game of Hunters and Tunnel Beasts. She looked up at the ceiling- her job had to do with keeping that thing up- and noticed how water dripped down from the various cracks, much like tears from an overburdened person.

The similarities were too strong. She looked down and around for a distraction, eyes landing on Whet and Stylus. Perhaps the two most grown-up people I know. If they didn't know how to cope, then nobody did. Loft walked over to them,still relatively quiet given her normal demeanor. "Hello."

Stylus was somewhat happy that Loft had ended that stillborn conversation. Mostly, though, her appearance was yet another person audient to his prolonged humiliation despite his best efforts to disappear.

Still, there was no Meccano so the maintenance of his pleasant demeanor was considerably easier.

"Hi. Enjoying citizenship?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Polo View Post
    why the fuck can i never find what I'm after this is so gay

"Iunno. I heard some dams talking quietly last night while I was trying to sleep. They were sitting by the hearth near my bed." The boy said between hics.

Darn, no leads for where to find out what's actually going on.

"Well I wouldn't worry about it," Lullaby said. "Would you like to go back to playing with your friends or do you want to sit here with me?"

The boy didn't answer. He just plopped down next to Lullaby and started to dry his tears on his shirt.

Lullaby ruffled the little boy's hair and turned to Pierce.

"I'm sure he misheard."

Of course, the boy was said to have misheard, but could anyone truly be said to mishear anything? What can truly be said to be 'correct' hearing? Maybe the boy had heard completely correctly, and everyone else had misheard...

Of course, this was a possibility Pierce had to keep to himself. There was no need to throw the Clave into a panic with this life-changing existential realization.

"Yeah, I'm, er, sure that he's, uh, just imagining things! So, yeah, uh, enjoying your perception of citizenship?"

Wow, he thought to himself, stopping momentarily to wonder to whom else he could be thinking. It's a good thing they have someone like me around to do the thinking!

"Honestly I don't feel very different yet, how about you?"

I'm concerned that my view of reality may be a lie, Pierce didn't say. He considered another possible approach. Do you ever wonder if we're actually just in a huge cave with like... shadows of things? Still not good.

After several seconds of trying to think of good phrasing, Pierce gave up and said, "I feel way more important now."