Register
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucidity

Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar

"So which floor is mine?" asked Larissa, picking up the pace slightly to keep up with Moriah.

part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

"Well, considering that the building only has two floors," Moriah refuted, "I was thinking you would all just get a room. Each has its own amenities, of course. But we'll talk about that later, because," Moriah stalled as she turned around to face the group, "we have some rules to lay out and some key places to show you."

She had stopped the group in a moderately-sized courtyard, which had been paved over with the same rock that the mountain was made of. Some basic but decent hedging decorated the unpaved sections of ground, with a few small (possibly native) trees here and there to give the yard some dimension.

"First, we'll start with the most important rule. As I said, your new home is a global secret, but that doesn't mean that we don't get our share of nosy people trying to worm their way in. As residents of this house, it will behoove you to make sure such people are only allowed this far at the most, and preferably not through the gate at all. Got it? Good, let's continue," Moriah swiftly turned around, as if to strengthen the point that the new squad members had no choice in that rule.

Approaching the front door, Moriah took a sharp turn to her right. "If you ever find yourselves up here, or as I like to call it, 'up front', the way we're going now is the way into the house- never use the front door if you like the idea of keeping face." She continued behind the hedges and around the house, only to stop and step to the side as she allowed the graduates to file past her into the "back yard"- about three-fourth's of an acre of green grass, dirt that looked to be unusually soft for it being on top of a mountain, and a few scattered trees that thickened up the farther one got away from the house. A small building was situated close towards the trees, and the group could see a tall, well-build man turning a pile of red-hot coals next to the shack, with a smaller female sitting close and looking on at what the man was doing.

"BRANSON! MEI-LAN!" Moriah called out, and the two figures looked over in the group's direction. "COME SAY HI!"

The male simply leaned against his shovel and waved at the group. It took the female getting up and taking his hand for them to start moving towards the group. As they got closer, Moriah pointed them out again. "The big guy's Branson, and the chick's Mei-Lan. They both work and live here- Branson is our Armor and weapons-smith, and Mei-Lan runs the infirmary."

As the two came to a halt in front of the group, Mei-Lan gave a polite bow. "It's nice to meet you all!"

Branson raised an eyebrow at the group. he didn't have to say hi again, did he? He had already waved.

a distant citadel overlooking a monument at sea

Goose waved and uttered a simple, "Yo."

"Hey wait," he asked abruptly, "Is this whole place - mountain and all - built by the Dreamers?"

He'd always heard that the higher-training lucid could pull stunts like that, but it's another thing to see it in action. It also made him wonder if someone could just accidentally undo the mountain and send them all falling to their dooms. A jolt of pain shot through Goose's torso and his flesh all over his body diminished ever so slightly - almost imperceptibly.

Whoa, chill dude. Mox will get here soon and you're not going to fall through the mountain. It's all chill.

The symptoms faded, for the most part.

"I, ah, I think I'd actually rather not know the answer to that one."
    Meet Hot Singles Standing Right Behind You

Fallon furiously tugged at her right braid. Her shoulders pulled inward in protective, tense gesture. "I, I um would like to know the answer to that, actually." She untied her braid, unbraided, and quickly rebraided it. She unbraided and rebraided it 5 more times before flipping her necklace pendant and putting the clasp behind her neck. She continued flipping her necklace as she asked: "This mountain isn't artificial, right? It's real? Please tell me that someone couldn't just zap the mountain out of existence by like willing it. I thought only three people in the world could do that stuff. Please tell me there aren't others who can build mountains" She looked around for reassurance.

Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar

"There definitely isn't any real mountain called the Back Table in South Africa, trust me," Larissa called to Fallon and Goose. "This mountain is 100% artificial, your worst fears are being realized."

A small blue butterfly alighted on the grass-covered stone. Larissa stopped in her tracks, bent down, and snatched it up between her hands, caging it between fingers splayed too narrowly for it to spread its wings.

"'Amenities,' huh," Larissa mumbled idly, only giving darting glances up from her catch as she hurried to keep pace with the group. "Which room comes with Branson? I call dibs."

part two in progress

i am 12 and wat is this? Diplomacy Domination Victory Aval's Avatar

From somewhat surprisingly close behind her Alex chuckled. "She's teasing you Fallon; Table Mountain's been here a while longer than Dreamers have."

He took off his glasses and cleaned them on his flannel shirt. "Surely there's a fairer way of allocating Branson than first come first serve? We could get some kind of rotation thing going? Or, like, just throwing it out there, but maybe see what the guy himself thinks?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Polo View Post
    why the fuck can i never find what I'm after this is so gay

Larissa let that suggestion hang in the air for a beat.

"Nah," she said. "I'd be willing to consider the rotation thing in the future, though. If I fail to call dibs first. But I dig your creativity."

part two in progress

Fallon jumped forward at Alex's words. Her feet got tangled up and she tripped. Luckily, she caught the wall as she fell and she didn't clatter all the way to the floor. She hoped no one noticed and cursed her startle reflex under her breath. She looked over to Alex thankfully and murmured her appreciation for telling her that Larissa was messing with her.

Partially thankful that Larissa had filled the trolling quota, saving him the effort of pretending to build a mountain. And partially enraged at this new adversary, Dre for a split second broke his perfect stance.

What does this Branson guy think he is, some kind of miracle in human form! There could be only one lord on this mountain and Maximus was not one to share.

(3)
    Max attempted to hop into the mind of Alex and replace the giants body with something more akin to that smedley chap. Proud of his latest creation, he resumed a relaxed posture and assured himself that in time all shall view him as the alpha.
    Last edited by Mattbot; January 13th, 2015 at 08:44 PM.

Lace took in the sight of the building as she followed the group. She was tempted to use the design as a location in one of her scripts, but she assumed that would be against the rules; this place was a global secret.

Lace kept to herself with her hands in her pockets, observing more than engaging in conversation. But strangely enough, she didn't feel much anger towards Larissa. In fact, Larissa reminded her of one of her characters. The thought made her break into the slightest smile, but she quickly hid it.

(8)

Alex blinked and Branson was replaced with a horrific flickering, writhing blend of flab and grease and muscle and golden skin.

"Gwh- erm-" he cleared his throat. "I take it Branson's a shapeshifter?" He asked Moriah.

Moriah raised an eyebrow at Alex, and then turned to Branson, who looked equally confused, if a bit more miffed. "No... I'm not," he stated as he placed his hands on his hips and leaned back from the group. "Why, do I look funny or something?"

It took Moriah hearing Branson's phrasing of the situation to realize what was going on. The only one in the group that had the ability to alter how someone saw things- and would actually use that ability to do so- was none other than Maximus. She shot the glamorous young man a glance. Was he under the impression that she had not gotten files on all them? She let out a small sigh- there was no harm done, really, but it was obvious that she would need to teach Dre the golden art of subtlety.

"In any case, I like your so-called 'creativity'," Branson noted to Alex before addressing anyone in the group with... less than wholesome intent on him. "I ain't rooming with any of you unless it's an absolute emergency, so you can get that notion out of your heads right now."

Mei-Lan looked up at Branson, smiled, and pat his upper arm, which caused him to smile down at her. "Not to mention," Mei-Lan reasoned, "that we have our living area situated in an entirely different area of the house than where you all will be staying."

Moriah nodded. "Back on topic, out here is where we'll be doing most of the physical training. The building those two were just at is Branson's forge, where he also has his smithy set up. There are some other nooks and crannies around here, but you'll learn about those as you need to-"

Moriah stopped what sounded to be mid-thought as she looked up into the sky, glancing around like she was looking for something. It was a split second before Mei-Lan and Branson both looked in the same direction as Moriah, with looks of utter confusion on their faces.

(Everyone, make a roll to see the thing)
    Last edited by ASaluteToYou; January 16th, 2015 at 05:12 AM.

Larissa turned and followed the others' gaze. "What're you all gawking at?" she asked, straining to see.

[rolled a 3]

part two in progress

NON-NEGOTIABLE ENJOYMENT! Wadling's Avatar

Am I drooping again? Arthur thought at the sudden silence. He glanced around nervously.

[9]

Pleased at the attention he was recieving, Maximus casually shrugged at Moriah with an innocent expression on his face.

(8)

Fallon looked around, first at her new teammates, and then at the spot where everyone was looking. What was everyone looking at?
    (9)

Goose tuned back in to the conversation at hand and gazed upward to see what the group was suddenly so contagiously engrossed in.

(3)

He shrugs and waits for them to snap out of it.

"Welcome to Sanguine's home for the criminally insane, where we look at clouds and get paid for it."
    Last edited by Ducky; January 17th, 2015 at 10:20 PM.

I don't see anything... Lace tilted her head to the sky, which resembled a giant bowl of air.

(10)

Without saying a word, Vernon followed the gaze of the entire group, but there was nothing in sight.

(4)
    I'm not afraid of dying. I'm afraid I haven't been alive enough.

(10)

His glasses, newly cleaned, allowed Alex clarity of vision frankly unprecedented in human anatomy. His gaze could have pierced stone, brought food to all who starved and discovered how many roads a man must walk down before he became a man.

Unfortunately at that moment he was not looking into the heavens and scouring the particle horizon for information vital to science but was instead looking in the direction of the rest of the group.

Jules was completely in awe of the situation she'd found herself in. Their own secret base, the opportunity to basically be a superhero, it was all overwhelming, she'd need to sit down soon if it got any more exciting.

Jules followed the gaze of the rest of the group in a sort of daze.

(2)
    Creator of overly complex costume backstories.

Spoiler for for those of you that rolled above a 5:
    As soon as you look over in the direction Moriah is staring, you see it- a tiny, dark blob moving through the sky, going southbound and presumably over you. What was it? Some kind of bird? You noticed that, after the figure got about as far away from the base distance-wise as when you first got teleported here, the blob angled down, like it was going to swoop down or land on the property. After a short distance, the blob got distorted, like it was moving through water, but soon assumed its correct proportions, all the while moving at a constant speed.

At first, there was nothing in the sky- no birds, no planes, not even a cloud. Just an empty blue sky that was in no way at all particularly visually captivating. But then, something happened- a blob rippled into existence mid-air and solidified, coming at an angle that suggested it was aimed for the group. As the blob got closer, everyone was able to distinguish that the form was that of a young woman, with features that suggested she was a native of the continent. Her face bore a pearly white smile as she approached the ground, carrying a fluffy black-and-beige cargo on her back. All and all, here appearance was quite manic....

... Or, was that appearance caused by what sounded to be the tail-end of the "whee" noise that she made?

The new squadlings could feel a pressure on them that warned them to get back, and even the more senior members of the residence stepped back as the woman nearly dived into the ground. At the last second, however, she leveled out and slowed down, allowing her cargo to hop off and run towards Goose, who happily pounced at the man with her tail wagging and her tongue lolling out one side of her mouth.

The woman alighted and turned towards Moriah, giving her a cocky wink and a half-serious salute. "Sorry I'm late!"

"You're not late for anything!" Moriah exclaimed as she looked from the woman to the dog, and then back to the woman. "Why were you not in-"

"Oh, yeah! You'd've been proud of me!" the young woman chirped as she shook both of her fists in excitement. "I made the Lockheed work, and I flew it halfway here!"

"Wow, really?" Moriah asked with genuine interest. "Normally you can only get it to work for a few miles. Good job, I suppose," Moriah congratulated. The young woman beamed, and Moriah took on a serious face as she gestured at the group. "Well, you're here. Might as well introduce yourself."

The woman turned around an gave the new residents a big grin. "Hey! I'm Avi No-Last-Names-'Cause-I-Hate-Formalities, and I'm gonna be the logistics expert for your squad!"

"Most of the time," Branson interjected.

"Most of the time," Avi admitted. "But still a good majority of the time, I'm gonna be here with you guys!" From the looks of it the idea of that thrilled Avi the most, and she seemed to be a densely-packed ball of excitement and energy just waiting to burst.

"Glad to meet you, Miss Actually-not-making-this-major-life-transition-more-psychologically-jarring-than-it-has-to-be-for-a-change! I'm Goose!"

Someone in the group - Goose didn't get a chance to see who it was - called, "He gave himself that nickname."

Goose turned his attention back to the newest recruit to the team.

Hey bud! How'd you book the flight?

Woof!

NON-NEGOTIABLE ENJOYMENT! Wadling's Avatar

Nice dog, Arthur almost murmured, but held himself back at the last moment. He had heard somewhere that animals can tell when you're nervous instinctively, and that they can get aggressive around nervous strangers. He thought it best to remain silent, which was a happy coincidence because he was not very keen on drawing the new (human) arrival's attention.

He didn't know what a 'lockheed' was. Nor did he really know what a 'logistics expert' was, though he had an idea. The thought of asking for elaboration on either of these topics was out of the question as he would just look stupid. He was perfectly comfortable being uncomfortable in his role as 'the quiet nervous one'. Being 'the dumb one' on top of it all would be too much to bear.

He nodded his head nigh imperceptibly as various people talked, occasionally looking vaguely in the direction of a given speaker to give the impression of understanding and engaging without inviting any kind of social interaction. He just had to keep this up for however many years he was a Dreamer. Worst case scenario, Arthur would muddle through long enough to extend his life indefinitely through Dreamer powers and remain on the sidelines, nodding, for eternity.

It's better than talking.

"He gave himself that nickname," said Larissa, dryly, "because that's a thing people can do, apparently. Aren't we just a barrel of laughs."

Larissa eyed the dog warily. Stay behaved around me if you know what's good for you, bitch.

part two in progress