Register
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucidity

The two guards that had just moved over looked a bit worried, like saying anything was going to get them in trouble, while the the two still guards retained a stoic air. Pretty soon, no one could ignore the thumping, almost stomping footfalls that came closer and closer to the door. The noise ceased as it sounded like it was right outside of the room, and the two more emotionally tense guards relaxed visably.

Only to be startled as the door slammed open, only barely missing the guard that had asked to move. There was a secondary loud noise as the handle of the door smashed into the wall, which was bound to hastily wrap up any conversation that was going on.

A look out the door showed that the implement used to open it was the bottom side of a booted foot, which was now stepping into the cramped space. The tails of a long, maroon coat flicked back in adherence to physics as a blond woman- ranking in at around five feet- walked to the side of the table opposite of the graduates. Eyes closed, she took a controlled, thought-gathering breath, and put her hands on the table, leaning forward a bit. Her eyes opened to reveal almost unnaturally green irises that seemed to assess every single person they looked at.

"Sorry I'm late, kiddos," the woman said as she raised an eyebrow at all of them. "I only just now got the memo to get here. I take it y'all all know who I am?"

Pfft. 'Did you all know who she was.' Of course you did. Not only did you spend a small amount of time during your studies going over who this woman was and what her job was, but she was also a global cultural icon. Hell, for the more fashionably-minded people in the room, you probably can even recall all the trends that started up in her name.

But that was beside the point. This lady was a woman by the name of Moriah "Sanguine" Stockton, and she was the head of global security. If things ever got too crazy, or too gory, or too evil, she was called; this shorter-than-expected woman who, just like the photos in the book depicted, wore a red rose clipped into her hair just a few centimeters above her left ear.

... Actually, the more you looked at her, the more you began to realize that, aside from a more modest garb, miss Stockton looked identical to the photo of her in your textbooks, which were printed 10 years ago. Meaning that the photo was probably older than that.

Nonetheless, those characteristic bright green eyes scanned over her audience as Moriah nodded. "Good. Ya'll seem to have payed attention in class. Now, for the more immediate question- do you know why you're here?"
    Last edited by ASaluteToYou; December 29th, 2014 at 04:09 PM.

Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar

"I got an inkling," said Larissa. "The pieces are all comin' together now. Clearly, you called us here to witness your dramatic entrance and bamboozle us with that overhyped celebrity je ne sais quoi, after building the suspense by being late. Egos don't feed themselves, y'know."

Larissa swigged from the Coke bottle again. "If I'd paid for this show, I'd be askin' for my money back right about now," she added, finally coming to an unoccupied seat and slouching deep inside of it. "But since it's free, by all means! Continue."

part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

Fallon looked horrifiedly at Larissa. What is Larissa thinking? She is insane. She's more disrespectful than anyone I've ever meet. "No, ma'am. Care to explain?" Fallon murmured towards Moriah.

Maximus hoisted his jacket back onto his shoulders and straightened it out, his ego barely sated by the massage. Easy? pffft. It was to be expected, once someone had laid eyes on his perfect form there was little they could do to resist. If anything he was being charitable, he let them briefly hope to become part of his fabulous world, all he asked in return was that they would spread word of his greatness to others.

"It's a pleasure meeting you in person, madame stockton. You might recognize me, we were both in the same issue of Street Styles 3 years back, although I went by a different name at the time. I presume this is our induction into the higher ranks of the Dreamers corps, that you may be intending on developing us into a special forces unit of sorts. Might I say that you have made a wise choice, I humbly accept the role of team leader."
    Last edited by Mattbot; December 30th, 2014 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Gotta reach for greatness

Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar

"Okay, I take it back," said Larissa, after Max's introduction. "I probably would pay to see this show."

part two in progress

a distant citadel overlooking a monument at sea

"For once, I'm with Larissa," Goose commented. "I'm almost glad I missed Clyde's party for this."

He looked around, taking in the room and the other people in said room.

"Almost."
    Meet Hot Singles Standing Right Behind You

NON-NEGOTIABLE ENJOYMENT! Wadling's Avatar

A lot of people said a lot of things, and Arthur both assumed and hoped that none of it was directed at him. He continued to stare solely at his shoes, and was almost content in his new bright future of looking down and pretending not to exist forever. That was until the door exploded, at which point Arthur's body entered the inevitable conflict over his flight or freeze instincts. As usual, this manifested itself physically, as certain parts of Arthur's body seemed to literally try to escape from the rest of him.

His right arm turned to a pale pink goo at the elbow, and flopped to the floor in a stringy mess that was barely connected to the rest of him beneath the hoodie. He tightened his grip on his chest with his left arm, as he could feel his torso starting to give way.

"sorry" he mumbled in a tone that would have sounded pained if it was audible to the average human ear. He ventured a glance up at the woman who had just entered the room, and made a split second of eye contact with her. Just long enough to hopefully convey that he not only acknowledged her existence and authority, but also that he was doing his best to pull himself together.

After an appreciative snort, eyebrow raise, and point in Larissa's direction and a look at Maximus that conveyed the message "quit fooling around", Moriah's face took up its serious front again. "Since I guess someone called me on my supposed 'ego-feeding suspense bullshit', I'll be blunt- you were all brought here because you have one unique advantage of power over the other graduates in your class. And that advantage," Moriah smirked, "is that you all are what I'd call 'late bloomers'."

Moriah straitened out again. "Even though the graduate Fatigued have only received minimal training at best, most of the time, it's all they need. Most of the time, when a Fatigued graduates, they know the limits of their powers, and have a fairly good idea of what their powers will do for them in the coming years as far as their career and daily life go. But y'all? No such convenience for you. Training in the academy has only scratched at the surface of what you each are capable of. Not to say, of course," Moriah raised her hands in a non-aggressive manner, "that y'all aren't as talented as the other graduates- far from that. You need a less formal, more realistic setting to fully develop your abilities."

"And that's why," Moriah smirked, "all of you are here right now. You are going to be MY squad, as Mr. Maximus guessed- the first squad I've had in thirty years." As Moriah confirmed this, she kept a non-visual tab on Arthur to make sure he didn't turn into a puddle. Poor dude.

"Yay us," said Larissa. "So what's in it for me, not counting the innumerable joys of you folks' company?"

part two in progress

Maximus could barely contain himself, a massive toothy grin lined his face. This was exactly what he had hoped for from the moment he was accepted into the academy, this is what he had pushed himself for. A chance to wipe the disappointment off his fathers cheerless face.

"Weird shit happens to people like us," Goose guessed. "I think the universe just wants to make a point."

He gestured towards the guards.

"I'm guessing we don't have much of a choice this time around."

NON-NEGOTIABLE ENJOYMENT! Wadling's Avatar

Arthur was barely listening, instead focusing on one thought.

Once they kick us out, nobody's going to remember me. This is the one time I can be sure of that. You're probably never going to see these people again, so first impressions don't matter.

"You are going to be MY squad, as Mr. Maximus guessed- the first squad I've had in thirty years." Said Moriah.

Arthur wanted to cry.

"I'm guessing we don't have much of a choice this time around," said Goose.

"You kids can play along if you want, but I always have a choice," said Larissa, "so unless Sanguine's as good at sales pitching as she is at kicking doors open, I'm not sure I want any part of this."

part two in progress

"Well, I'm a sucker for a high paycheck, so depending on the profile of this job I may be stuck," Goose remarked. A little color was seeping back into his skin, and the cold sweat was gone.

"That and snacks."

Moriah raised a slightly uncomfortably disturbed eyebrow at the group before sighing. Did any of them care about doing the right thing? No? Just wanted to see what kind of perks they would get from being part of her team? Despite her slight feeling of disappointment regarding this group, a part of Moriah really wanted to burst out laughing- the fact that they were trying to play the system in their current state was hilarious.

It wouldn't do shit to get them anywhere, but it was still hilarious. Cute, even.

"As your unit leader and trainer, my stipend would grow to accommodate all of you, and that money would be passed on to you. You would be living in the same dwelling as I, and I would provide food and potable water, thus meaning that you have more of your own money to spend, if you ever found the time to spend it."

Moriah folded her hands across her chest. "Also, as you would be my students, the only people allowed to monitor you would be the council, me, and anyone that was given my express permission to do so. Every other Fatigued is monitored much more... oh, how do I put it? 'Universally', if you will. Ultimately, being part of my team would provide the most privacy for you, and the most secure lifestyle- no one's going to come and knock on your door at three A.M. and tell you that you need to pack up and move to another continent."

Her eyebrow raised again, with time with a more inquisitive nature. "Sound good to ya?"

Moriah had just finished explaining the situation before she spoke once again, "Sound good to ya?" Suddenly the noise in the room increased to a level that for Vernon was barely tolerable. Vernon gave a slight smile, "I sure wouldn't mind the alone time."
    I'm not afraid of dying. I'm afraid I haven't been alive enough.

"Are dogs allowed in your place? Dogs are key."

"Ehhm question, Mistress. Is it entirely necessary to abandon my apartment? I've got a lot of stuff to move, not that I mind or anything, just worried there may be space issues if we're all moving in under one roof."

Maaan, I just got the games room the way I envisioned it.

"I am suddenly very eager to begin, and in fact always have been and was just testing you before, and if anyone suggests otherwise I'll deny it," said Larissa. "When do we start?"

part two in progress

We're gonna be our own superheroes!

"I-I'd be honored," Jules managed to stammer out.
    Creator of overly complex costume backstories.

"Ma'am, I would love to do this job. But, um, I'm not sure I'm cut out for this. Not to imply you are wrong or anything, but, um, I think I may be here by mistake. I'm not...like...special or anything."

Moriah's face fell sort of flat at the questions she was asked. Not that any of the questions were unanswerable or anything, just that....

This was a tough crowd, and not in the ways that she had expected.

"Yes, you will need to move in, but you can use your portion of the stipend to keep your apartment maintained, if you'd like. However, space is not an issue if you decide to move in. Yes, dogs are allowed, but expect for you to take care of them; I'm not a doggy-sitter." With some of the more gimmicky questions out of the way, Moriah added another layer of composure to herself and rolled her shoulders back. "As each of you were chosen for what we hope you will grow in to and not what you currently have," she glanced over at Fallon as she said this, hoping that this small part of her statement would provide some form of comfort, "I don't expect that us going to your future place of residence the same way I got here from there will go well. Instead, we're going to get there by-"

Moriah paused for a second, and then looked over at the guards. "Hey, just to double-check my geography, where are we?

"W-we," the guard who had asked to move out of the way of the door started, "are in the city of Manchester, on the British Isles, ma'am."

Moriah nodded in appreciation and looked down at the table in thought. "Hm. Well, this throws a wrench in our plans." She looked back up at the graduates- her team- with a look of determination. "Who wants to try something useful and exiting today?"

"Where are we off to? France? The moon? A small Midwestern town with no effective police department and an aged palm reader who thinks I'm his aunt?"

"That is a question for later," Moriah dismissed, "but I can assure you, we're going someplace comfortable enough to live where even the craziest of people can hold a coherent conversation. Now, do you want to try that thing I was talking about, or not?"

"I'm in if you guys are in?" Fallon stated in the manner of a question. She looked at her new colleagues.