Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lucidity (Sign-up/Out of Character Thread)

“The world is a dream, and we are the lucid dreamers.”

This was what the theorized higher power of the universe, now referred to as Deity, whispered to approximately one fourth of the global population after the war to end all wars had devastated our planet. This was a foreign concept to the global community at the time- “Lucid Dreamers”? These people didn’t have control over nature, over the fundamentals of Biology, Chemistry, or Physics- over fate. These were things that had control over them, and they had allowed themselves to be shaped by their self-imposed constraints in to the population that they were. So many people didn’t listen to the voice of Deity- as a matter of fact, many outright dismissed the voice as a “weird trick of their ears”, controlled by a popular mindset still deeply moved by the War’s aftermath.

There were, however, a few who did listen, more of them bad than good. They all had a goal- to re-shape this word in an image of perfection. All of them spent excessive time meditating on that one idea, that one fragment of knowledge.

Of all the people who accepted the call, there were only three people who were initially able to solidly grasp the idea of “Lucidity”, as it had been termed. Two of them were a man and woman- a married couple- who had slowly begun to realize that Lucidity gave them total control, even over each other. They made a vow to never use the Lucidity to restrain those around them, only themselves. The third was a young man, who felt he fully understood his powers after he brought his significant other back from the dead at the site of a car crash. Slowly, he started bringing back those that were dear to him- his deceased family and friends- and warping their minds to appreciate their new life. This corrupted him, and he soon was on a conquest to put the world under his thumb.

The couple confronted the man about this, and a battle ensued. After a year’s worth of fighting (and a good chunk of the populace that had been originally contacted realized their powers), the couple broke their vow, and used their combined willpower to banish the young man’s mind and influence, ridding the world of its greatest magical ailment to date. With victory at their heels, the couple understood that many people would try and use the lucidity to manipulate people’s willpower for their own gain, and once they could not do so to their own standards, they would try and convince them (the couple) to manipulate the world for them. The couple did not want this, and re-affirmed their vow to never use the power to restrain or impede anyone else. Knowing that not everyone would take this oath, the couple recruited and trained almost all of the people capable of lucidity, now called Dreamers. The Dreamers’ mission was similar to that of a police force- to keep the peace, and to grant as many people as much freedom of will and choice as possible. Namely, the Dreamers were to recruit other Dreamers that had long since forgotten the call, to detain any Dreamers that had been corrupted by the hunger for control, and to pursue and eliminate the collective will of the Dreamer-followers of the banished man, who had given himself the name of Vivid.

Given that there was a wide range of willpower presented, the couple devised a system to categorize the skill levels (and therefore threat levels) of the Dreamers:

There were the Paralyzed, or those that had just discovered their powers,

There were the Fatigued, or those that had just started to learn the concepts and ideologies behind their powers,

There were the Somnolent, who had achieved a suitable mastery of their own Lucidity, and a weak control over the Lucidity of those around them,

And there were the Exhausted, those that had grand mastery over their own lucidity and will, and a control over the Lucidity of others.

The couple required every Somnolent and Exhausted to take up the same vow that they had, and bid them to swear to only break the vow if it was for the defense of others, specifically those not granted with the ability of Lucidity. And then they retreated to the center of the earth, hiding their trail as they went.

That was 140 years ago. The system holds strong today, and the Dreamers now officially act as the global police force. Many of the original Dreamers have discovered that, due to the nature of their powers, they cannot actually die, and some have even instilled within themselves a form of eternal youth to remain in the field. Popular examples include Jack “Poker Face” Prestons, Branson “Iron Hide” Daniels, and even Moriah “Sanguine” Stockton.

-History of the Dreamers text (class no. 1401), intro. to Chpt.1; pub. 2185

Welcome to Lucid, the game where reality is merely a strong perception, and Death is merely a strong illusion. This game is set in a post-global-war dystopian future ca. 2195, in which your character has displayed an affinity for the mental control over reality known as “Lucidity”, and has been recruited into the global task force known as the “Dreamers”. You will more than likely be playing as a Paralyzed who has just graduated from training and is now a Fatigued (unless I ask you to play otherwise). To the graduating class, the Lucidity-based threats that hound at the world have only just become an imposing reality, and instead of going to the no doubt awesome party exclusive to the graduates after your graduation ceremony, you were singled out and told to wait in a room locked deep within Dreamer HQ for your first ever official orders. As you wait in the room, you feel a warm, tickly sensation in your scalp and head, and are able to sense that the sensation is looking for the information that, out of character, compiles your Character Sheet:

Name:
    Please do not have a name with 500 words in it. I will not type that out every time I want one of the characters I control to interact with you. Also, this section is the name of your character post-realization, when a Dreamer is legally allowed to change their name into whatever they want, so it doesn’t have to be a “real name” (still, try to avoid handles, please?). Nicknames and titles also go here.

High Concept:
    A simple sentence that sums up your character in a neutral light. Note that “neutral” can be (and is actually encouraged to be) a mix of both bad and good things, so long as the good and bad balance out.
    Example statements include:

• “The only Wizard Private-Eye in the Chicago phonebook.”
    • “A competitive gambler-by-trade who’s determined to win whatever they game they play”
    • “The only Viking to never kill a dragon, and the first to ride one.”

Trouble:
    A major problem your character faces throughout the game. I suggest that you make your trouble somehow “resolvable” by the end of the plot (don’t worry- you’ve got a bit). If you need help thinking up ideas, don’t hesitate to PM me first to bounce around ideas!
    Example troubles:

• “They are a narcissist.”
    • “They have PTSD.”
    • “They deal with an inferiority complex.”

The classic “Boy or Girl?”. General rule of thumb is that, unless being transgender is your character’s trouble, anyone that was transgender before achieving Lucidity will be their preferred gender after realizing their power (that could even be how they realize they’re a Dreamer).

Physical description:
    Height, weight, age and/or how old they look, their outfit- the works. The concept for this game was loosely inspired by magical girl anime, among other things, so go nuts. The only limitation is that your character must be human at the start of the game.

Personality:
    Pretty self-explanatory. Make this section at least three sentences long. (Also, as becoming a dreamer isn’t something one can count on for a future career, it’s sort of taken on that “I want to be a Fire Fighter/Ballerina” vibe- case in point, your character would have had other goals and aspirations before this. Feel free to put those goals here.)

Perks:
    An outline of your powerset here. Please do not be OP, or the other people in the game will not have fun, but also please try your best to not be under-powered, either. As the storyline essentially follows a group of magical cops, the rest of the group will feel obligated to leave you behind so that you’ll be safe; now that just sounds boring, doesn’t it?

Generally, powersets display themselves as follows for the different rankings:

• A paralyzed will have random, uncontrollable “Bursts” of their power. This is the phase where less time is spent focusing on the theories and concepts behind Lucidity and more on trying to help the new Dreamer get a grip over their newfound abilities and keeping them from blowing up. Lots of positive reinforcement is given during this phase, and this stage officially “ends” whenever it is deemed that the Dreamer has both an immediate, rudimentary control over their powers and a base knowledge of some basic Lucidity theory. This could be considered the “White belt (10th Kyu, picture for reference)” of the Dreamer community.
    • A Fatigued will have a significantly greater amount of control over their powers. While the Dreamer will still be refining and mastering their powers as the powers pertain to the Dreamer, more of the focus in this stage is spent on theory and how it can be used in conjunction with a dreamer’s abilities. They are the first-dan black-belts of the Dreamers.Examples of powersets similar to that of a fatigued would be:
      1. Marvel’s Spider-Man
      2. Marvel’s Shadow Cat (a.k.a., Kitty Pryde)
      3. Basically any well-written human superhero that’s in the 18-40’s age-range.

• Somnolent is (normally) the seventh-dan black-belt of the dreamer community- they are perceived as the experts of the concepts with which they work, and are often teachers or in a high-ranking position within their chosen sector.
    • The Exhausted supposedly go a step beyond the mastery level attained by the Somnolent, but in all reality are a court of the fourty-seven most powerful Somnolent who volunteer to be part of said court. This is due to all official jumps in rank being decided by the court, and the moment that a Somnolent is approved into the Exhausted rank, they are nearly harassed into the council to replace one of the other councilmen/women, who are all 90+ years old.

Flaws:
    The things that balance out your perks. Think of these as less significant troubles- though they are there, they are not as pressing to fix as your trouble is (or, you just want to focus on the thing you put as your trouble more), or maybe they simply cannot be fixed. These are not to make the game impossible for you, but to add a bit of challenge and flavor to your character.

How you realized your Lucidity:
    This is where you put the backstory of your character. It doesn’t have to be a documentary-styled format detailing the character’s life from the moment they were born! Just a simple events-leading-up-to-the-moment, moment, and how the Dreamers got in contact with them summary will do.

In more detail, the “moment” one realizes their Lucidity is the moment that their willpower overrides “normal reality”. As an example, let’s say that before someone became a Dreamer, they just so happened to be walking across a bridge, and on this bridge, a bus full of schoolchildren suddenly lost control and was about to drive off into some vast body of water. The person is witness to the event, maybe screams in terror, but somewhere deep down inside them, an internal voice states that “That bus will not fall”. In any way that the person can imagine up (telekinesis, stretchy rubber arms, ect.), the person is now able to put that statement into action, and saves a whole bunch of people from their imminent demise. Since that person’s willpower has stopped the logical, natural flow of reality, they are now a Dreamer. Bear in mind that the moment you became a Dreamer should be the basis of your powerset, as only the Exhausted and a handful of Somnolent Dreamers in the world have the mental capacity and conditioning to transpose their abilities. (i.e., if your powerset is fire based, don’t turn into Elsa on us)

(A copy-able version for ease of character creation)

Name:
    High Concept:
    Trouble:
    Personality:
    Perks:
    Flaws:

RULES:
    1. Please read and follow these suggestions
    2. No, seriously, go read that page. Killing_Time did a really nice job on those, and they are the baseline rules for this game.
    3. Be prepared to get seriously involved in this, as I will be contacting you about your character before I start the in-character thread. You are allowed (more than welcome, even! ^^) to contact me about your character first.
    4. Even if your character has some things that no one in the story ought to know, then that’s fine, but those of us in the meta need to know, so please put “secret info” in spoilers tabs. It is also okay to be cryptic and vague with how you word something so as to avoid spoiling major plot points. This will be talked about when I PM you, so that I can incorporate your character arc into the story.
    5. Follow the suggestions set forth in the character sheet unless you clear it with me first.
    6. Have fun!

Dice Mechanics:
    Because I cannot shake the tabletop roleplayer in me, I’ve gotten permission to implement some loose dice throwing mechanics into the game. I will be using this dice roller, but you can use any fair 10-sided dice roller you choose (you can even use a physical die, if you’d like to). Essentially, the dice will work as such: there will be moments in game where a major event is happening and the result could be any one of a number of possibilities in which your character(s) could be successful or fail. During these moments, I will ask you to roll your dice in the most private manner I can (unless the event affects the entire group, in which case I will make an announcement in the post with the situation requiring the roll), and use the number you roll to dictate how the scene goes.
    Generally, if I ask you to make a roll, I want you to get your random number, put it at the top of your post in parenthesis, and then put in what you do with the roll as your post. For example, let’s say that Branson “Iron Hide” Daniels is sparring with Moriah “Sanguine” Stockton, and Moriah (NPC) is about to deliver a flying round-house kick to the side of Branson’s (let’s pretend he’s a Player Character, for sake of ease) head. The game master/the op/I would ask Branson’s controller to roll for Branson ending the exchange how he would like to end it (block/dodge/counter-attack/ect.), which he would put in the above format like so:
    Quote Originally Posted by Branson's Player
    (3)

Branson pulled up his strong forearms in front of his face, leaning a little on his back leg to brace himself against the relatively tiny woman’s aggressive kick. Branson noted that the subtle difference in height that this new stance gave him would cause Moriah’s kick to land closer to his wrist than initially anticipated. With any luck, this would allow Branson to push the kicked arm back towards Moriah’s leg, causing her to loose her planed trajectory and fall in a disoriented state.
    As you will generally have only a vague idea on what you need to roll at or over to successfully complete an action, you should always give what would happen in a best-case scenario in case your action does succeed. In the same light, however, you only have vague impressions of whether or not your action will succeed, so make sure that your action is fallible. Since this is an interaction with an NPC, and thus the environment, I as the game master will get to both assess the success/failure of the PC roll and the outcome of the overall scenario. As an example, let’s say that Branson failed this roll:
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Moriah’s calf pushed away Branson’s block, allowing her heel to make firm contact with Iron Hide’s cheekbone. The force of the blow was enough to knock Branson back onto his supporting leg, over its point of balance, and flat onto his back, and the nimble woman landed on her feet in front of her opponent. (Continue on with the rest of the post)
    Here are the scenarios that you can expect to roll for:

• Single player VS. Environment: The environment includes anything not in your immediate control, such as NPCs and landmarks. See the example above
    • Single player VS. Single player: I will identify one player as the “aggressor” and one player as the “defendant”. The aggressor rolls against a certain number composed of different variables, such as sheer difficulty of the attempted task, any “buffs” a defendant might possess, any “debuffs” the aggressor might also have (these will be worked out beforehand and kept as private as you want them to be- they are not required to go on the character sheet), vice versa, and ect. If the aggressor winds up rolling at or above the required number, then the post that they made detailing what their successful action would be happens, and the defendant must type out how their character follows through with the aggressor’s success (Knocked out, staggered, ect.). If the roll fails to make the aggressor successful, then the defendant gets to detail how their character makes the aggressor’s action a failure (blocked, dodged, ect.). If the defendant is still “all there” enough to do anything after they lose a PvP role, they can “contest” the event, which will act as some form of retaliation and is treated as another exchange. As all the player characters are going to be part of the same team, I will only allow 3 of these to happen between two players in succession- if someone tries to initiate a fourth exchange, an NPC will break up the fight.
    • Group VS. Environment (Combat/regular): The call to roll will be made publicly at the end of the post. Everyone would tell me their numbers and I would write a response detailing what happens to the group as a whole, denoting certain Player Characters if something major happens to them/because of them.
    • Group VS. Environment (Perception): The call to roll will be made privately to characters that have a logical chance of perceiving something not necessarily apparent in the setting, but if all characters have the chance to notice something, the call will be posted at the bottom of the post. If the roll is successfully made, I will privately tell you what you notice, and post what the average person would notice without a perception check- what your character does with this knowledge is up to you. If everyone notices something, then it will be put into the post along with the mundane setting.

Spoiler for SUPER LAST-MINUTE LANGUAGE TRIVIA:
    While the borders of countries have stayed the same since our present day, this Earth’s set of languages have conglomerated down into seven distinct tongues:

Mainland Europe, West Russia, Canada, Australia, and South Africa have all adopted the United European Language (UEL). This is considered the global language.

Afrikaans is spoken throughout Africa.

Arabic is the dominant language of west Asia.

Eastern Russia, China, Nepal, India, and other countries in the region claim a language called Tasavīra Shétou (or “mainland shétou” as it’s called in UEL) as their regional tongue,

Whereas everything east of that has adopted Sajin Shétou (“oceanic shétou”).

South America speaks its own beautiful blend of native languages, Spanish, and Itallian under the heading “Idioma Bonita”.

Lastly, the stubborn people of the United states of America speak their own German-Saturated version of archaic (i.e., modern-day) English called “Angrish”.

Any of this world’s modern-day languages are considered archaic in the RP-verse, and require a great deal of time and devotion to learn. Only the oldest Dreamers and a few historians speak these languages.
    Last edited by ASaluteToYou; December 20th, 2014 at 01:45 PM.

Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar

I plan on joining this but I am essay-writing at the moment and can't spare a few hours to make my perfect character profile yet

Can I reserve a spot?

part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

Quote Originally Posted by Varthonai View Post
    I plan on joining this but I am essay-writing at the moment and can't spare a few hours to make my perfect character profile yet

Can I reserve a spot?
    Of course! This goes for everyone- I don't expect you guys to make characters in five minutes flat. Take your time!

i am 12 and wat is this? Diplomacy Domination Victory Aval's Avatar

I'm totally in on this too but is it okay if I badger you incessantly with ideas to bounce before I post a sheet. As I'm sure Varth can attest to I'm one of the most demanding, micromanagement-necessitating players a GM could ask for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Polo View Post
    why the fuck can i never find what I'm after this is so gay

a distant citadel overlooking a monument at sea

Name: Dwayne "Goose" Perrin
    High Concept: "You think these powers could summon a motorcycle for me?"
    Spoiler for trouble:
    Trouble: Dwayne has colon cancer. In the 22nd century, that's a cancer that should be able to be treated with relative ease; however, all the treatment in the world cannot cure a Dreamer who believes he will die. The symptoms have come and gone with his degree of mental mortality, but should he fail to win over it before he becomes too powerful for others to intervene, he will die.

Physical Description: About 6 foot 3 with shortish dark brown hair. Perpetual five-o-clock shadow sustained by sheer force of will. Glasses he should be able to do without now that he's magic (apparently his eyesight still sucks though). Thin build made mysteriously worse by [unknown causes to those who didn't read the spoiler]. Always wears jackets, jeans and sneakers.
    Personality: A bit of reckless idealism, mixed with sometimes-irritating impulsiveness. Tends to get a bit overzealous about protecting the well-being of people. Likes shenanigans.
    Perks: Has an acute biological understanding of just about any organism. (Mostly focused on a cellular level as well as on various diseases)
    Flaws: Doesn't understand he can use his perk on himself. Oddly repulsed by water. Claustrophobic.
    How you realized your Lucidity: Has a German Shepherd named Mox that he considers one of his best friends. Considers Mox to be as important to his own well-being as he is to Mox's. Mox contracts rabies, since her original owner failed to vaccinate her (and neglected to mention this). Within seconds of learning this, Dwayne activates specialized cells in Mox's immune system to combat rabies and weakens the viral infection. Mox recovers within hours. Suddenly, Dwayne can just sort of feel the creatures, plants, microbes and what-have-you around him.
    Last edited by Ducky; December 14th, 2014 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Changing name
    Meet Hot Singles Standing Right Behind You

Quote Originally Posted by Aval View Post
    I'm totally in on this too but is it okay if I badger you incessantly with ideas to bounce before I post a sheet. As I'm sure Varth can attest to I'm one of the most demanding, micromanagement-necessitating players a GM could ask for.
    Make no mistake, I'm going to talk to every single one of you about your characters anyway. Y'all are all going to be part of the story, not just individualized warm bodies within the setting that happen to know key characters.

So in short, yeah, bounce me ideas. I'm game.

Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar

Name: Larissa Theotokis

High Concept: That rarest of things, a Dreamer who dreams small, wanting little more than to withdraw from the constraints of society as soon as her powers enable her to live apart from civilization.

Trouble: Dislikes hierarchies. Lives in a hierarchy.

Physical Description: 26 years old. 5 feet 6 inches. Olive skin. Sunken brown eyes. Waifish. Long and ratty black hair. Always wears all white. Occasionally bothers changing out of white bathrobe and slippers. Thin as a rail. Flat as an ironing board. Owns an antique opera-length horn-and-ivory cigarette holder, which she regularly uses in ways not intended by the designers. Scarring on legs, arms, and torso from being mauled by an angry bull terrier when she was 14. Usually accompanied by brown rat named Colocolo.

Personality: Deadpan snarker. Hedonist. Resents authority. Resents society by extension. Resents people who are not Larissa Theotokis by extension, because once you have two people you have some degree of society. Never planned on having a career; intended to live a low-maintenance lifestyle funded by petty crime and manipulating friends and family.

Perks: Can transform any animal "subject" (humans included) into any other species of animal "target" (humans included).
    Spoiler for Details:
    • Must make physical contact with the subject to initiate the transformation. Must have made physical contact with a member of the target species at some point in the past.
    • Target is genetically unique and will never be genetically identical to any existing individual of its species as a direct result of Larissa's power.
    • No control over specific features of the target beyond basal prerequisites for being a member of the target species; each target is unique to each subject. A subject transformed into the same target species more than once will have the same features every time.
    • Cannot transform individuals of one species into other individuals of the same species.
    • At present, transformation is temporary and lasts a few hours or until Larissa chooses to turn a target back to normal, whichever comes first.
    • Transformation back to the original form will take place even if the subject is killed while still transformed into the target species (but the subject will still be dead).
    • Wounds taken in any form will be present in the closest analogous location upon transforming. A wound on the tip of a cat's tail will become a wound just above the tailbone of a gorilla.
    • Target will be at a point in its lifespan similar to that of the subject. Infants become infants, youths become youths, peak adults become peak adults, and the elderly become the elderly.
    • Transformation occurs by phasing the subject through a series of less extreme transformations at a rapid pace, with each of the less extreme transformations representing an evolutionary ancestor of the subject. Once the most recent common ancestor with the target form is reached, a sequence of transformations begins in another direction moving toward the target; i.e., witnessing Larissa transform a bird into a lizard, one would see the bird turn first into an archaeopteryx.
    • Gains no special control over animals by doing this, but still can use systems of reward and punishment to train animals by mundane means.
    • Intelligence/consciousness/memory are preserved in as much detail as the transformed body's new neural hardware permits--so, not much detail, usually. This is especially true in extreme cases like human-to-krill or krill-to-human where a complex brain becomes ganglia or vice versa. Full original intelligence/consciousness/memory return after the transformation ends, though the experience of involuntary transformation is often a traumatic one and leaves victims nonetheless changed. As a consequence of altered intelligence/consciousness, Dreamer subjects lose the use of their powers for the duration of the transformation. Somnolents resist this effect and retain their intelligence/powers; Fatigued may resist the effect occasionally.

Flaws: deceitful, impulsive, poor planner, irritable, recklessly disregards safety of self and others, irresponsible, seemingly incapable of remorse, has daddy issues, has mommy issues

Spoiler for Backstory:
    During drunken altercation, single mom attempted to put Larissa's pet rat Colocolo in the garbage disposal. Larissa decided to fight back for once. Accidentally turned mom into a bull terrier. Freaked out. Killed bullterriermom with wine bottle. Picked up by the Dreamers shortly thereafter. Colocolo lived though so it was aight.
    Last edited by Varthonai; December 20th, 2014 at 02:05 PM. Reason: noting the effect of transformation on Dreamers

part two in progress

NON-NEGOTIABLE ENJOYMENT! Wadling's Avatar

Name: Arthur Smedley. (Childhood nickname: Arthur Smelly.)

High Concept: A friendless boy who literally falls apart in social situations.

Trouble: Crippling social awkwardness, self-doubt, self-loathing. Desperately wants friends.

Physical Description: 5 foot 8, overweight, pale skin, long greasy black hair and a patchy unkempt attempt at a beard. Generally quite unpleasant looking for anyone who observes traditional standards of beauty. His entire body (his face in particular) is prone to slippage, in that it can quite often sag very low in places before returning to normal. For example, his cheek might sag down and look as if it is about to drop off his face entirely. He usually wears very baggy hoodies and tracksuit pants/jeans.

Personality: Horrendously insecure, particularly about his body. Shy, withdrawn, quiet, willing to take orders and unwilling to give his own opinion. Desperately lonely and cautiously hopeful that becoming a Dreamer will give him purpose, a place to belong and the company of others. Terrified of conflict and people paying attention to him or relying on him, but his desire to impress other Dreamers will probably push him to overcome his fears and do the job.

Perks: When feeling embarrassed or insecure (which is all the time as of the beginning of the game) Arthur will melt into a thin, fleshy goo. He has to actively stop this from happening most of the time, as he is constantly plagued by his insecurities, which is why he is often sagging accidentally. Once he has 'melted', Arthur can control his gooey form and move quickly through incredibly small spaces, allowing him to infiltrate, get inside small mechanisms to break them or escape from dangerous situations. This can happen at inopportune moments if Arthur feels particularly upset. The goo form cannot split itself (though it can presumably be split by outside forces) but it can stretch and contort what are essentially tiny limbs to interact with the environment. Arthur is also acutely aware of his surroundings while in this form.

Flaws: Poor communicator, hard to motivate, is presumably only useful when he thinks everyone hates him as much as he hates himself. So being kind to him risks making him useless as a Dreamer. Is stark naked upon returning to normal, which can cause many obvious problems. Poor hygiene as he's afraid of going down the plughole. Nervous eater. Reeks of desperation.

How you realized your Lucidity: Arthur was invited to a college party out of the blue by a distant acquaintance of his. When he arrived at the campus dorm for the party, he was told that he was invited by accident. Arthur then stood awkwardly at the door until the hosts relented and let him in. Dying inside, Arthur stood by a bookcase and pretended to be interested in the books for hours. He attempted to mingle but could not manage more than a step in the party's direction without almost throwing up.

Trapped on the opposite side of the room to the door and unable to stop panicking long enough to walk through the crowd, Arthur decided to just wait until people started leaving. Unfortunately, a girl approached and tried to talk to him, at which point Arthur reached critical anxiety levels and melted for the first time in his life. Amidst the screams, Arthur was able to squelch his way through the floorboards and make his way down to the lower floors before exiting the building. He squished his way home and and after hours of composing himself he was able to return to normal.

Spoiler for What his goo form might move/act like:
    Last edited by Wadling; December 13th, 2014 at 07:55 PM.

Name: Maximus Dre (Original name: Martin Anderson)

High Concept: The Narcissist with a heart of gold who only wants to share his vision with the world.

Trouble: Hailing from a rich family, Maximus has always had the world served to him on a silver platter, coupled with his attractiveness he has developed some pretty deluded views. As of graduation, he still has yet to work a job outside of part time modelling.

Age and Gender: 25 year old male

Physical Description: A relatively muscular, 6 foot 3 tall, well groomed Bronze Adonis of Italian but mostly American descent with an expensive haircut to boot. Maximus keeps his wardrobe stocked with only the latest in men’s designer clothing.

Personality: A fitness and beauty freak, Maximus believes he is god’s gift to the universe and loves reminding people of that. Cheerful, joking and friendly around those who can stand him long enough to join his circle. Has become surprisingly protective of anyone he’d deem friend, starting fights at a slight. Despite securing a position that might earn his father’s respect, Maximus’ heart still lies with the modelling industry.

Perks: Maximus has the ability to create elaborate phantasms only perceivable by him and his target. These illusions are limited to both the targets visual and auditory senses, spawning from whatever flows through Max’s imagination. Traditionally Max uses these spells for nothing more than quick distraction while he reaches for a bat although he has learned to be a bit more creative since joining Dreamers.

Has the potential to effect other senses but still has a lot of training before he could use this reliably. With enough time and practice he may eventually be capable of fooling multiple targets. Since Max's acceptance into dreamers he has added kickboxing to his workout routine, mainly to impress the other students during self defense classes.

Flaws: Vane to a fault, self-indulgent, reckless, quick tempered and has a terrible sense of humor.

How you realized your Lucidity: Unintentionally made a photographer weep during a shoot by projecting an even better image into his mind, after 2 hours of cursing, the man trashed his camera and walked off the set unable to catch Max’s perfection on camera. After repeated events, some uglier than others, Max keyed onto what was happening to him and went to his family for help who then contacted Dreamers.
    Last edited by Mattbot; October 6th, 2015 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Dre was too young and nubile

Name: Lace Youngblood Riley

High Concept: A young script writer who believes no one will adapt her works and get her career started.

Trouble: Her parents were killed by corrupted Dreamers at a very young age. She grew up with the ability to lucid dream, and she weaved them into her stories. When she grew older, she joined the Dreamers, vowing to rise to the top and help rid the world of all corrupt lucid dreamers and Vivid.

Physical Description: She stands at 6 feet, sapphire eyes, honey brown hair, and a sharp complexion. (Think Simone Simons).

Personality: She is addicted to fear, and is willing to do almost anything to speed up her rise to power. She is a fast learner and very independent, but accepts company along the way.

Perks: Because she's been lucid dreaming and using it to excel her script plots, she has the ability to conjure her characters to aid her in battle. (Her characters naturally have supernatural powers). These characters' minds still live in their own worlds, but know to attack the enemy.

Flaws: Lace needs some sort of natural element in the air for her powers to work. The more negative ions in the air, the more her powers are strengthened. Like kryptonite, she can't conjure her characters around so much technology/closed spaces. She has no control over the characters she conjures, but will eventually control them with experience.

How you realized your Lucidity: She's had it from a very young age, but first realized it when the same band of corrupt Dreamers who killed her parents came back to kill her too. Lace unconsciously conjured her characters, who acted as guardians and slaughtered the group of corrupted Dreamers.
    Last edited by NoxArcana; December 16th, 2014 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Meh

Name: Juliet Alexander (nickname: Jules)

High Concept: Whoever she wants to be, soundtrack included.

Trouble: Unable to take things seriously and cannot read a room and tell when her joking is inappropriate or unwanted.

Physical description: Whatever she feels like that day, although in her downtime often appears to be a 5’2” (unless there’s something on a high shelf) girl in her early to mid 20’s with waist length brown hair, green eyes, and pale skin. Depending on her mood her face can be anywhere from mousy to glamorous.

Personality: Jules can only be described as ‘wacky.’ She loves nothing more than dropping quotes, making jokes, and nailing puns. She hadn’t really thought much about her future plans before becoming a dreamer except maybe helping create some of the media she loves. She’s a bit of a slacker but can often make up for it with a burst of energy near a deadline.

Perks: Jules can perfectly change her appearance (including characteristics like height) to mimic someone else’s, although this requires several minutes of study beforehand. As far as she knows her range of height can only be between around four feet to a little over six feet. Her power extends to hair length, structure, and style and she can mimic the appearance of makeup. She is also able to mimic clothing with her powers although they will be warm to the touch and feel almost fleshy. She can also change her voice to match theirs once she’s heard them speak for a minute or two.

Flaws: Has a hard time reading people to tell when her joking goes too far or is unwanted or even bordering on mean. Is generally irresponsible. Can rarely resist a prank when she sees the opportunity for one. As I said above she can’t really take things seriously, even when she really should. Not exactly a flaw but she is a sex repulsed asexual and is disgusted by genitals so she does not change her genitalia when she appears as a man.

How she realized her lucidity: Jules was never popular in school, although she was well liked among the unpopular crowd. She was well known for her impressions, which got better and better throughout middle school until one day when she accidentally changed her face to match the actor she was quoting. She was able to get away with a few pranks involving assuming the appearance of teachers before the school administration caught on and she was sent to a school for dreamers.
    Last edited by sgt_Angua; December 14th, 2014 at 06:22 PM.
    Creator of overly complex costume backstories.

I'd like to join but I have finals right now and I've been basically nocturnal for the past couple of days. Could I reserve a spot and then work my profile when I have time...? That should be by Tuesday.
    I'm not afraid of dying. I'm afraid I haven't been alive enough.

FayeFox would like to join, but 99% of the time she is in no condition to browse the internet. I'm just gonna stick a foot in the door on her behalf.

i am 12 and wat is this? Diplomacy Domination Victory Aval's Avatar

Name: Alex Altmann

High Concept: Hippy destroyer of worlds

Trouble: Alex has been recently released from prison and is on strict parole. He is awful at it.

Physical Description: Average height. Unhewn academic build borne of a lack of interest in exercise - and the ability to melt flesh into a plague of sand on contact superseding his need to be able to handle himself in melee combat. Red hair worn long at least in part due to neglect.

Wears loose fitting, casual clothes for comfort and round glasses. Generally prefers not to wear shoes or socks in order to have instant contact with something convertible at any time.

Personality: Relaxed, friendly, thoughtful, cheerful and likable. He seems wise for his age. Speaks softly, rarely about himself. Has an iconoclastic sensibility and strong anti-authoritarian values but little inclination to do much about them. Can be surprisingly competent and has an affinity for pragmatism and problem solving when he is in the (rare) mood for it.

Perks: Alex has the power to create and animate elaborate constructs of sand. He cannot use mundane sand to do this, he must create his own by disintegrating his surroundings. He can convert anything that is in contact with his body or already animated sand. The weight of sand yielded is equal to the weight of the converted material.

Converting material into sand is physically tiring. The effort required to convert a given object is determined by its distance from his body and its complexity. Things that are more complex, beautiful, ordered or have a higher informational content are easier to convert. Something whose value/complexity is equivalent to or less than that of its weight in sand (e.g. air, water, mundane sand) is impossible to convert. As such, in an emergency Alex must destroy beautiful things to use his power effectively.

Sand constructs cannot be made to think for themselves; every movement of a sand construct is one consciously decided by Alex.

All his sand constructs will inevitably crumble as they require concentration to sustain them; more complicated constructs require more effort. Once he stops paying attention to a construct it becomes irretrievable mundane sand.

Flaws: Acute awareness of the transience of things and the futility of human endeavor has left Alex with a fatalistic worldview which, while not particularly harmful to his mood, leads him to idleness and inertia. Laziness is an understatement; his inaction frequently interferes with self-care, management of finances and fulfillment of parole obligations.

Has a tendency to overintellectualize. Enjoys thinking about solutions to problems more than executing them and outright ignores problems that don't interest him.

How you realized your Lucidity: While in prison. He wouldn't elaborate further.
    Last edited by Aval; December 19th, 2014 at 03:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Polo View Post
    why the fuck can i never find what I'm after this is so gay

Hey everyone!

So, as I've noticed (and have had pointed out to me), the characters for this game can get a bit OP if there is no way to regulate their actions. As I would prefer to get the flow of the game going rather than have the first few scenes take forever due to people editing OP posts, I have gotten permission to add a loose dice mechanic to the rules (nothing too heinous, and it also allows for the story to make some pretty interesting twists, if I do say so myself). I ask you to please read the new section (right after rules, the subtitle should be bolded) to prepare for the actual game.

Thanks everyone!

cool beans

how soon do we start

part two in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Varthonai View Post
    cool beans

how soon do we start
    *Edit*

We're still waiting on a person to get their sheet up, and I need to touch base with people regarding some basic story elements/ the new mechanics of the game, but we should be good to go by Christmas Eve
    Last edited by ASaluteToYou; December 21st, 2014 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Changes in readiness/over-all grumpiness

Name: Fallon Renard
    High Concept: Neurotic, anxious girl that always wanted to have the lucidity, but is now terrified of it.
    Trouble: Struggles with OCD, anxiety, and a cowed sort of temperament. She has trouble sticking up for herself and always feels like she is intruding and asking for too much. This stems from a past where she was a major bitch. She is so scared of being her past self that she has completely gone in the other direction and hampered her ability to communicate with people on equal terms.
    Physical Description: 5' 4". She has long, straight, black hair that she wears in a sort of crown of braids. Basically, she has two strands of loose hair by her face and the top of her hair is two braids. The bottom is pulled into braids with the top braids integrated into the bottom braids. Her eyes are a bright green and her skin pale without any freckles. Her build is neither one that could be described as willowy, pixie like, doughy, curvy, or athletic. She isn’t overweight, but she also isn’t underweight. The only aforementioned adjective that might apply to her a little bit is curvy. She isn’t overly curvy and she wears looser fitting clothing so it’s mostly masked by the fabric. Her clothing style is gothic. She wears dark wash jeans and a black tank top that is high cut so little cleavage is showing. She wears an asymmetrical, black jacket with a silver zipper on the side. She wears black boots with no heel. She also wears a silver necklace tucked under her shirt at all times. It is her lucky charm and so many of her OCD rituals are tied into it, that losing it would probably cripple her.
    Personality: She tries to put on a tough girl, I don't give a shit attitude, but under any stress or if anyone indicates they are unhappy with her, she immediately crumples. Stress brings out her worst. She has a propensity for creating uneven power dynamics by calling people by honorifics and asking what other people think without ever using her voice. She has a lot of compassion, though. When she can, she will try to make compromises. She craves friends, but has never really had many/any friends.
    Perks: Her power set is roughly equivalent to a water bender’s (From A:TLA). I’m not fully sure how the whole rankings thing goes, but I was thinking that her power arc could be similar to Katara’s. She could start with only some control over water but as the game goes on, and if her power ever increases to the highest level, she could have the whole healing and ice power dealy.
    Flaws: Afraid of fire. She’s been badly burned a few times too many. She thinks fire is really pretty but can’t bring herself to get closer than 10 feet to it.
    How you realized your Lucidity: Not to be too stereotypical, but all through seventh grade she had recurring nightmares that she was drowning in plain view of everyone, but no one helps her. She mostly brushed off the nightmares but the nagging, anxiety ridden part of her brain latched on to it. She loved swimming enough that she continued with it, but every time she went into the water, that thought bothered her. When she was in her junior year of high school, she was babysitting some neighbor kids at the Y pool. She was teaching one to swim will the other was sitting on the edge of the pool. The one on the edge of the pool started to pitch a fit so she went over to that one. She told the older one to stay where he could stand, but he was overconfident in his abilities and ignored her warning. While she was calming down the younger sister, the older one swam out to the deep end of the pool. He began treading water and tried to get Faye’s attention. She brushed him off with not now as she calmed the little one. His treading wasn’t good enough and he began to drown. The life guard was too busy flirting with the swim coach to notice. When Faye turned around, he was halfway down the pool. It immediately reminded her of her nightmares and the knot in her stomach screamed “this isn’t right.” She accidently switched her place with the boy’s place using the lucidity. Eventually the life guard did notice her in the pool. She woke up on the pool deck and her only thought was “It’s real.” From then on she was convinced she was prophetic. She was of course, wrong. She didn’t put the pieces together that that was the lucidity until her next use of it. Her AP Chem teacher surprised her with a pop test a few weeks later and she accidently made sink explode out of sheer anxiety and a need to get away. It was clear to her from then out that she was lucid.
    Please excuse any errors and such. I did my best. Also, Sal, please feel free to change anything that isn't right. P.S. So sorry for the delay. I promise to be more timely in the future

Name: Tom Vernon (Goes by Vernon)

High Concept: Just a guy who comes off as taking himself too seriously and enjoys meditation.

Trouble: Very intellectual. He can sometimes get lost in his own thoughts or go off in a tangent during conversation.

Physical Description: Has short brown hair, pale blue/grey eyes, is around 6 feet tall and has an average/athletic build. Keeps clean shaven. Usually doesn't really pay attention to outward appearances and therefore dresses quite casually.

Personality: Finds pleasure in disconnecting himself from the busy world around him through meditation. He is a calm, quiet, and deeply thoughtful person. His demeanor can come off as though he is full of himself and doesn't give a shit about anyone around him, but he doesn't mean to. At the same time he has trouble explaining why he is the way he is. His brain is a real piece of work guys. He also suffers from synesthesia and can perceive specific frequencies of sounds through the visual spectrum.

Perks: Like I said his brain is a piece of work. Vernon possesses skills in telepathy and psychometry, both of which he is still developing. When meeting someone, Vernon can perceive their mind in terms of a conglomeration of different noises and colors. Each person's mind is extremely complex, full of desires, insecurities, memories of events and people, emotions, and thoughts. This is part of the reason why telepathy is extremely difficult to pull off. In order to read a persons thoughts, or learn a specific memory, Vernon has to concentrate and isolate a specific portion of the mind. Imagine listening to someones mind and hearing a loud, unintelligible mass of noise, and then try to isolate one specific note out of the entire cacophony. Unless Vernon is meditating (which of course he can't really do out in the open), or concentrated (has to focus on a specific part of a person's mind), he will only be able to make out single strings of words or images that alone don't hold special meaning. On rare occasions when he is completely in sync with someone's mind, he has the power to flood someone's mind with noise and cause the person to become confused, disoriented, and extreme cases even temporarily catatonic.

Similarly, every place has its own idiosyncratic aura that Vernon can pick up on in terms of images. When in a specific place, strings of images will flash through his mind that relate to the area. However, Vernon can't tell whether these images occurred in the past, or if they will occur in the future, and in most cases the images just make up a mess of information that he has to decipher.

Flaws: Problem at the moment while he is developing his skills is that he can't silence the noise coming from other people's minds. If there are a lot of people in one room, Vernon can become agitated and uncomfortable. Large masses of people, unless he can drone out the other noise (which at his level of ability is difficult to do), inhibit his ability to use telepathy or to create a psionic blast. Instead he will hear an almost unbearable degree of noise, and will be filled with visuals of different light. This doesn't inhibit his ability to perceive images related to locations however.

How you realized your Lucidity: He grew up not even paying attention to his gift because he thought everyone saw the world as he did. From a young age, everyone he was around was perceived with a specific noise and color that in his own terms, defined who that person was.
    Last edited by Avver; December 22nd, 2014 at 12:29 PM.
    I'm not afraid of dying. I'm afraid I haven't been alive enough.

Hi, everyone!

I'm sorry if this comes as a huge disappointment to anyone (/everyone), but the actual game thread will not be up by Wednesday. I got slammed with work this week and have had relatively little time to work on this. Hopefully, I can get it up and running on Christmas, or by the end of the week at the very latest.

Sorry about the delay! -Sal

No worries homes! Do what is best for your mental well-being, then worry about entertaining this ravenous pack of jackals! us!

AND WE ARE ONLINE!

While character submission will not be allowed any longer(for a decent bit, anyway...), I still want to designate this thread as the OOC banter thread, with all of your parenthetical statements being put here as opposed to the actual game thread.

Now, you may enter the dream.

i deliberately left the identity of the person Larissa interrupted ambiguous so anyone can take that role who wishes it

part two in progress

Not going to introduce that "person that's supposed to be talking to you" until all of you post at least once, as I feel that's the fair thing to do.

it's just matt, ducky, faye, and andrew now i think

part two in progress