Register

Default Random 3D experiments

This is just a thread where I'll post some of my random 3D "artworks" and experiments.
    Feel free to come with requests or criticism.

a distant citadel overlooking a monument at sea

Not sure what most of these are, but they'd sure make some great wallpapers.

It's a little abstract yes, most of these are just made to try out different effects n' stuff.
    http://s105.photobucket.com/user/KaptajnKnass/library/
    When you click on a picture there should be a download button on the right, feel free to use any of them as a wallpaper if you want to

Realflow?

The one with juice actually resembles a certain shock website than actual liquid. (hopefully no one else recognizes which)
    Try having particles connect easier.

Quote Originally Posted by BanHammor View Post
    The one with juice actually resembles a certain shock website than actual liquid. (hopefully no one else recognizes which)
    Oh good, glad I'm not the only one thinking it.

But yeah, I agree with the above that these are good, but could use some more refinement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivyn View Post
    Realflow?
    Nope, this is all made with the native fluid simulator for Blender, it's actually really nice once you start messing around with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BanHammor View Post
    Try having particles connect easier.
    I'm not going to ask...

I just started messing around with the fluid simulator when I made the Juice render.
    The one with the glass of water turned out much better, have some unfinished projects that could turn out even better than that one.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm no artist, this is just a small hobby of mine so I appreciate every bit of advice

That one with the sparks looks great. Would fit well as an effect in an animation How did you get that effect of them turning into "lines"? Long shutter speed in the Blender camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    That one with the sparks looks great. Would fit well as an effect in an animation How did you get that effect of them turning into "lines"? Long shutter speed in the Blender camera?
    Thank you, it's also my favourite!
    And yes, I adjusted the shutter speed of the camera in Blender.
    I don't remember if the feature is called "shutter speed" or "motion blur" though.

I actually made a physics simulation out of this and exported it to an .avi file, unfortunately I can't upload it anywhere except YouTube (which I don't think I'm going to do) or convert it to a gif animation without paying for a premium account at gifsoup or whatever.

Given the noise in the pictures, I assume you are using the cycles render engine? Quick question: are you running it on AMD or nividia?

As mentioned above: the particle work on the sparks look great(looking very similar to what Blender Guru did, but honestly, what doesn't these days?)

The wheel thing (yes, that is the technical term) could use a few more vertices or a subdivision surface modifier. You can see where the individual vertices are placed and that's not good, unless you are going for a low-poly look. The DOF effect helps hide the lack of vertices, but the in-focus bits suffer.

As for the fluid simulations, I can't really give much advise. You just need to play around with it some more, especially with the surface-tension and viscosity ;)

Yes, I'm using the Cycles engine, I love that thing!

I'm using a GTX 560Ti, so even though it's a lot faster than rendering with my processor I could still use an upgrade.
    I watched Blender Guru's tutorial when I made the spark scene, I just added my own personal touches to it, and did some more post-processing as well.

The wheel/rim was modelled in Autodesk Inventor Professional.
    Inventor is what I use at school and it fits perfectly with my workflow, I love modelling with Inventor (You probably know already that Blender is really terrible when it comes to modelling)
    I had to export it to the .fbx format (I think it was .fbx) otherwise Blender wouldn't be able to read the file. However exporting and importing between Inventor and Blender is a pain in the butt and I wasn't able to export a high-polygon model of the rim.

There are actually some weird artifacts in this model after I imported it into Blender which I've managed to hide.

Inventor doesn't work with vertices like Blender does, you'll probably be able to figure out what I mean if you go look for some videos about Inventor.

I have to admit some of these are really rushed pieces, especially the wheel one.

I'm considering trying to make something with the new smoke simulator in Blender.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobu View Post
    I'm considering trying to make something with the new smoke simulator in Blender.
    Interested in seeing your results of that

Cool looking stuff. You can probably make some cool intros with a logo or name of yours for youtube uploads of your music for example.
    How long does it take to render those? Especially the water splash. I suppose you have a good graphics card... Mine can barely run L4D2 smoothly.