Register
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Results 201 to 224 of 224
  1. #201
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    >Discreetly keep a hand on the knife. Scratch seems nice enough, not sure about his neighbors.
    Scratch seems to have noted your discomfort and your preparedness for violence. "Don' worreh, crazy guhl," he drawls. "They won' huht anyone, 'less ah ohdeh 'em ta."

    Quote Originally Posted by FayeFox View Post
    >panic
    You feel a potential panic attack welling up inside of you despite Scratch's reassurance.

    Quote Originally Posted by ASaluteToYou View Post
    >Try not to panic, as panic tends to lead to a decreased chance of survival

    >Do, however, be cautious- now may be the time to ask Scratch about the fellows occupying the visible area.

    >Please ask Scratch about the fellows occupying the visible area.
    You somehow manage to suppress the panic attack, though. "Who are they?"

    "Shadows o' theih fohmeh selves," Scratch says, his tone melancholic. "S'all ah can do to keep tha po' devils fed an' busy. Speakin' o' which..."

    Scratch's voice changes suddenly, growing higher and shriller until it pierces your eardrums like a knife. He chirps with a gritty and pharyngeal series of syllables that you can't understand, though you're not certain it's necessarily because he's speaking a foreign language; it could easily just be the weirdness of his strange affected vocalization on top of his already-thick dialect.

    Whatever Scratch said, his compatriots are now moving forward into the fog. Scratch follows, and as you follow suit the silhouette of Eternitree becomes visible again; Scratch has apparently led you around in a big circle.

    thunk

    A dull, heavy sound resonates through the air and the earth, like giant footfalls.

    thunk thunk

    The sound is repeated and twinned. You instinctively grip your knife harder and glance around.

    thunk thunk thunk

    The sound triples and you realize, as you draw closer and see the figures more clearly, that it is the sound of axes striking the base of the artificial tree. The resin cast trunk does not splinter or crack as the blades sink into it, as a real tree trunk would; it warps and pushes upward and outward from the gash in waves, like cloven clay. Still, the effect is more or less the same eventually, and the tree starts to lean dangerously towards the widening gash as the trunk begins to lose its ability to support the tree's weight.

    For some reason, even though you have no nostalgic or sentimental attachment to Eternitree that you're aware of, you find this sight more disheartening than you think you would have if the thunking sound had been produced by a hostile monster.

    "Go ta it as it falls," says Scratch. "The change'll take ya back ta yo' place, chil', if dat's what ya want."

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  2. #202
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ASaluteToYou View Post
    >Watch the tree to make sure you can get to it in time.

    >Either text your adventures in Eternitree Land into your phone or write it down, whichever is more convenient. Either way, GET THIS DOCUMENTED!
    These two tasks are somewhat in conflict. The tree is likely to fall any minute, but a detailed description of the events since you wandered into the fog would require several pages of text. You choose to combine them as best you can by rapidly typing "I, Linda Clement, had strange adventures in (magical?) fog this afternoon (Sat. Aug 31st 2013)--NOT JOKING, DO NOT FORGET" before heading towards Eternitree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    >Also, thank scratch. Gotta be friendly!
    "Thanks," you call back to Scratch. "For all your help, I mean. Thank you."

    "Ayuh, 'bout dat," he calls back. "Don't thank me yet, guhl. Ya mahght be beggin' to come outta tha womb again soon, an' cuhsin' me fo' evah sendin' you back theh. Young folk neveh know what it is ya really want, ah think."

    Quote Originally Posted by FayeFox View Post
    >Continue through the scary adventure you have gotten yourself into! Also, think really hard about whether or not this brings up any deja vu
    Scratch's last comment about "tha womb" stirs something faintly, now that you think about it. Nothing else is really ringing any bells though.

    With a great crack the tree finally falls and topples into the street, kicking up a huge cloud of reddish-brown dust that swirls through the fog and obscures your sight of Scratch and his companions. When the cloud settles, the fog has cleared with it, and you are once again alone on an empty street.

    The toppled Eternitree lies next to you. A single axe lies a few feet away, where one of Scratch's companions was standing a moment ago. You get a little anxious about how this situation might look to a chance observer if somebody were to walk in on you right now.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  3. #203
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ASaluteToYou View Post
    > Check street for visibility of road signs
    With the fog gone, the street name plaques are clearly legible. This is the corner of Laurel and Park. If memory serves, your parents' condo building is a few blocks east of here.

    Quote Originally Posted by ASaluteToYou View Post
    > Check street for any Silent-Hill's-DarkWorld-Esque sights and sounds; streets made of iron grating, rust and blood everywhere, inescapable white/pink noise etc.
    Nope, everything looks pretty normal. Even the architecture is back to the familiar Richardsonian Romanesque style, now that you're out of... whatever part of town you were in before. The clouds are parting a little bit and crepuscular rays are shining through.

    Quote Originally Posted by ASaluteToYou View Post
    > Puppy Dog?
    There is a little yip from a few paces away and you do, in fact, see a puppy pawing through the contents of a fallen trash can.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Well, if gaming has taught you anything, that axe is yours
    In accordance with your item priorities, you place your cell phone into your trusty red messenger bag and pick up the axe with your now-free fingers. (Inventory Updated)

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  4. #204
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FayeFox View Post
    >Go pet the puppy!
    You advance toward the puppy, which whines and scurries under a hole in a fence at your approach. You aren't entirely surprised by this, upon reflection. The hefty axe that you hold imposingly in your left hand probably does little to endear you to small animals.

    Quote Originally Posted by FayeFox View Post
    >See if you can adopt it or at least bring it home and contact owners if you can find any evidence of that, failing that and if you are unable to keep the puppy, find it a good home.
    You can see a hint of the puppy through a gap in the fence; looks like some kind of mixed breed retriever. Might've been golden at some point in the past, but right now its fur looks matted with a nasty gray-greenish mould, unwashed for who knows how long.

    The puppy yips again as you approach the fence, sounding frightened and agitated. You doubt you will be able to coax the puppy out, so unless you're willing to climb the fence and trespass on your neighbors' property, you're probably going to have to leave it for now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Head back to your place
    You don't have a particularly difficult time getting to your parents' condo building now that the fog has lifted. You just walk a couple blocks east and then suddenly, there you are.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Proudly hang the axe somewhere in the condo, where everyone can see it, and never, ever, ever explain how you got it
    There's a space on the wall in the living room, just above the TV, that would probably work for these purposes. In accordance with your item priorities, you replace the axe with your keychain in your trusty red messenger bag in order to unlock the door to the condo's first floor, then ascend the stairs. (Inventory Updated)

    Your mother is waiting for you the moment that you re-enter, knitting in the foyer on top of a stool she moved from the kitchen. When she sees you approach, she holds out a paper napkin with a message scrawled on it in all capitals.

    "Linda, did you write this?" she asks, perturbed. The note reads "IF I AM DEAD IT WAS AN ACTUAL MONSTER".

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  5. #205
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Oh, haha, that, right, yes, that, I remember that, it was that, uh, that thing, that, I, uh, made, with some friends, haha, for, uh, a game, ha....

    ha...
    "What friends?" asks your mother, not even bothering to hide the skepticism in her tone. You probably shouldn't have used the plural; you really only have the one local friend, and she knows that.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  6. #206
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FayeFox View Post
    How much do you remember? Can you come clean about the note?
    >if honesty isn't an option, then lie and said you had a bad night last night and must have written the note as part of problematic thinking.
    "I was in a... a weird state last night," you say. "I probably wrote it while I was tired, I don't know what I was thinking."

    "I can't take this lightly," she replies. "You're contemplating your own death. Are you having suicidal thoughts? Have you talked about this with Dr. Dhankar?"

    "Probably?" you say, shrugging. "We talk about a lot of stuff."

    "You're probably having suicidal thoughts?"

    "No, that was an answer to the second... agh, mom, just stop freaking out, okay?"

    "Do you know how many of my friends' children have wasted their lives like that?" she continues, undeterred. You close your eyes and sigh; this isn't going to end until she's good and ready to let it end.

    "Do you know how inconsolable and ashamed they felt afterward? My heart has never gone out to anyone like it has to those parents. You wouldn't do that to me, would you? Don't you know how hard I work to try to keep you healthy and happy?"

    That last part reminds you of something. "Yeah, about that--why'd you lie to Professor North yesterday? You could have just woken me up on time, but instead you told him I was sick."

    She gives a single haughty laugh at that. "Well, that's not really a lie, now, is it? I mean, it's not a physical illness, but..."

    "Jesus Christ, mom!"

    "Where were you all day, anyway?"

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  7. #207
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    >reel at the implication that you have been to some other world

    >dance a cheerful little jig to throw her off the scent
    Yeah, the best you can really manage is a nervous shuffling of your weight from leg to leg.

    Quote Originally Posted by FayeFox View Post
    >say you went for a walk to clear your head. If pressed about how long you took, admit you got lost because fog obscured signs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ASaluteToYou View Post
    > Actually, considering our adventures in the fog, and the mindset mom's taking to that note, it might not be a good thing to mention said fog. If it comes to that, say that you went out on a walk and saw a crowd surrounding a whale carcass. As that most likely happened in the overworld, there's also most likely a story to back it up.
    "I went for a walk," you answer.

    Your mother doesn't seem too suspicious of this answer, fortunately, so you don't have to improvise any other details. "Next time, please let your father or me know before you leave," she says, standing up from the stool. "I don't like not knowing where you are, even at the best of times."

    Yeah, you think, as your mother turns and walks off into the kitchen, dragging the stool behind her. Me neither.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  8. #208
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Wait did your mom just drag a stool in here just for the purpose of that greeting?
    It's not an unprecedented phenomenon. Your mom has a habit of camping in the foyer and awaiting your return when she has something she wants to make you feel guilty about, and you guess she prefers not to stand while she waits.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Look up the whale thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by FayeFox View Post
    >look up everything weird from the day. (Specifically the whale thing, the weird texts from your brother, and anything in particular you can remember that Scratch said)
    You head to your room, get on the bed, and flip open your laptop, momentarily putting down your prioritized items beside you on the bed in order to use the keyboard. (Inventory Updated) The whale's got a few articles written about it on local news. "Beached Whale Carcass Vandalized", etc. The wildlife experts who were called to investigate are saying that in cases like this, the whale was generally weakened by illness and then drawn in too close to land by currents that it would have been able to easily swim through while it was healthy. That may not have been the case here, though; the whale was beached several miles upriver from the ocean, which means it must have successfully swum against a powerful river current for quite some time before its death. They won't know the full story until they have run some tests.

    You open your phone and look at the texts that Derek sent you. (Inventory Updated) They are now in plain English.

    DEREK: Yeah it's at Laurel and Park
    DEREK: I think it's going to rain soon though, you should get home ASAP
    DEREK: Let me know when you get this, and let me know when you're home safe, ok?
    DEREK: Linda, are you safe? Do you need me to come get you?


    Scratch said a lot of things, but you're pretty sure that you remember most of them. If you want to look up something about any of them, you should specify which.

    Quote Originally Posted by FayeFox View Post
    >stash the ax somewhere discreet but where you could get it in an emergency
    You remove the ax from your trusty red messenger bag and put it underneath your bed for now. If you think of a better discreet/convenient location you can move it. (Inventory Updated)

    Quote Originally Posted by FayeFox View Post
    > check your email for anything from Dr. North
    There has not been anything from Prof. North since the email you received at 9:06am this morning.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  9. #209
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ASaluteToYou View Post
    >Respond to Derek: "Oh hey, I must have been in a patch of bad reception, 'cause those all came just now. I'm safely home, though. :3"
    DEREK: Ok. Thanks for letting me know.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Ponder the possibility that Scratch and North are one and the same, making him Doctor Scratch.
    While North has equal claim to both titles, possessing both doctorate and professorship, he generally goes by Professor over Doctor. Professor Scratch doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Look up the eternitree on the internet, just to satisfy your curiosity.

    > Be bothered by what Google has to offer.
    It's hard to be that bothered by it; it's a pretty lazy pun and you are surprised there isn't more competition over it. In any case you don't find anything in particular that you didn't already know from reading the plaque.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  10. #210
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aval View Post
    >Check for updates on the online horror-themed text quest
    > Examine Fish Tank

    Much like its spectral fellows that you have encountered within the dim effulgence of this strange and tenebrous corridor of curios, yonder piscine receptacle would appear to be a devilishly detailed replica of a similar tank from the dank and loathsome recesses of your memories of your childhood--with all of its myriad unpleasantries, both mentionable and unmentionable. The memories associated with this accursed vitreous box, as it so happens, are mentionable.

    The tank contains water, but its name is a deceitful mistress, for its lugubrious depths hold nary a single fish. Instead they play host to the vile, squamous form of your elder sister's African clawed frog, "Esther", to whom she staked a claim with authorization from her school once the beastly creature had outlived her use as a middle school science project. The tank once contained Esther's siblings as well, and you named the smallest of them "Eustace" in veneration of C.S. Lewis'
    Voyage of the Dawn Treader. But within a week of their arrival to your home, Esther had swallowed Eustace whole, along with all her other kin.

    Your parents paid a visit to a pet shop and bought some inexpensive tropical fish afterward, hoping to help you cope with the grief. One was striped in darkest titian and ebon-sable; your sister named it Tyger. Another was the most resplendent argent; you named it Hammerhead. The owner of the pet shop assured you all that the fish would be much too large and quick for an aquatic frog to pose them any threat, and for a time that seemed to be true--but this was not to last.

    Gradually you began to notice little tears in the fishes' fins, as if they had been raked in ambush. You were unsure initially whether or not to draw your parents' attention to the matter, so the damage built up over days. The fish rapidly became slower and weaker swimmers until one morning you discovered Esther gagging on half the length of Hammerhead's body, silver tail flapping impotently in panic from her open mouth like a swollen tongue as his head slowly dissolved in her stomach. Tiger floated belly-up, fins and body slashed with shallow but multitudinous lacerations, a few inches away.

    Esther grew to abnormally large size over the next few years, eventually becoming almost as big as both of your cupped hands. Her dull eyes seemed to conceal a fiendish intellect, as well, already demonstrated in her strategic predation of the fish but increasing with subsequent incidents. On one occasion, she escaped her open tank during a routine cleaning, then was discovered in the living room hours later, dry and seemingly lifeless as a bone--only to spring to life in an escape attempt into the toilet,
    a la Finding Nemo, while your family prepared to give her a brief and solemn parting.


    > Investigate frog's blowsack for hidden micro-universes

    Female frogs generally lack vocal sacks. However, as you are investigating the base of her neck, Esther suddenly fixes you with a bloodcurdling gaze from her gelatinous ocular orbs. The vasty cave of her mouth widens, and you swear, you
    swear on your life that you hear a voice of indescribable madness from her direction croak out:

    "Mother comes..."


    Continue?


    ***

    Geez, this thing is getting cheesier all the time.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  11. #211
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Search the (real) apartment for evidence of frogs
    Your mother has never allowed pets, and there is not really any moist environment in the apartment that would be conducive to the survival of wild frogs. The most likely spot to find frogs would be back at the river's edge. (Quest Log Updated)

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  12. #212
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Google online references to "three entrances, three exits"
    Your new search with this quote mostly turns up stories recounting events within a maze or a strange building, some of them apparently fiction and some of them presented as personal anecdotes (but most likely exaggerated or fabricated for the purpose of becoming creepypasta, you'd imagine). Nothing seems immediately relevant in the Web search.

    However, the preview for Image Search contains a drawing of a strangely familiar silhouette--two dog snouts protruding at sixty degree angles from a single flower-wreathed head. The head is attached to a tall and taciturn body that stands vigilant, glaive in hand, before a luminous yellow-gold clock face of human height in diameter. The creature's two side eyes watch hallways to the left and right at a T-intersection, with the clock embedded in the wall behind it. A misshapen third eye stares unseeingly forward. The clock's hands read a time of 6:13, probably AM, judging by the darkness.

    You click the image, but like the "three rivers revivalist numerology" link, it turns out to just be a cache. The full-quality image, and whatever context it was presented in, has been taken down.

    Emma has mentioned to you a couple of times that a significant number of websites--probably the vast majority--are not actually indexed by public search engines like Google at all. Oftentimes it's because they have no backlinks; they are too insular and obscure to be found by the kind of webcrawling software that most search engines use. Other times it's because they intentionally obscured themselves with anonymizing software like TOR; Emma has given you the impression that this is a fairly common solution for people who conduct illegal business online, such as the distribution of narcotics or child pornography. This sort of unseen content is collectively known as the Deep Web.

    You guess it sort of makes sense that a weird... door-worshipping cult, or whatever they are, would be keeping a low profile. After all, the person on Tumblr told you that a significant number of their members were arrested. But if the answers you want are in the Deep Web, you'll probably need the help of somebody like Emma to find them.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  13. #213
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FayeFox View Post
    >First try to access this deep web by yourself by looking up how to do it and if you can't figure it out by yourself, text Emma to see if she will help. If she asks why you're so interested in this, tell her it's simply morbid curiosity.
    It's almost anticlimactically easy. You find a pretty simple set of instructions by searching "how to access the Deep Web", which provide a download link for the TOR browser plus details on accessing hidden services. You go ahead and install the TOR browser, and soon you have used it to navigate to a TOR-encrypted site known as the Hidden Wiki, which is apparently a recommended hub for newcomers to the darknet. The Hidden Wiki, in its turn, provides you with links to search engines that are better-suited to navigating the Deep Web and darknet resources than Google.

    Most of the links on the Hidden Wiki seem to be either helpful Deep Web search tools or radical libertarian political stuff; you note that WikiLeaks is apparently hosted on the darknet, for instance. With this in mind, you start to get the impression that Emma may have been exaggerating the Deep Web's degree of depravity. Emboldened, you search the phrase "three entrances, three exits".

    All of the Hidden Wiki's recommended search engines seem considerably less sophisticated than Google, though, despite their extended reach. Most of them don't have the ability to search for specific phrases indicated by quotation marks, and so they return countless links that are only vaguely related to one or more of your key words, instead of returning only sites that contain the words in the precise order that you entered them. A number of them express self-aggrandizing and irreverent jabs at mainstream search engines in between the links they return, too. "The greatest trick Google ever pulled was convincing the world it's not an advertising agency," an animated GIF of the head of Verbal Kint from The Usual Suspects claims before dissolving into the background.

    The more you read, the more your initial impression that Emma was exaggerating begins to fade. Every fifth or sixth returned link seems to be to a site where people are soliciting anonymous donations to fund terrorists, or teaching how to cook crystal meth, or trading recipes for consensual cannibalism, or posting pictures of stillborn and late-term aborted fetuses dressed in baby clothes and placed in lifelike poses in their mothers' arms. You're not exactly sure what to make of all that, and you get the feeling that "simply morbid curiosity" might not cut it as a justification if somebody saw this stuff in your browser history.

    After about twenty or thirty minutes, clicking through page after page of links that seem only tangentially related to your desired subject matter at best, you see a link entitled "Three Rivers Revivalist Numerology - MIRROR". The title is familiar to you from earlier today.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  14. #214
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FayeFox View Post
    >Click the link! Also pretend you haven't seen anything disturbing in an effort to repress the memories.
    You are able to do the first of these two things.

    NUMEROLOGY OF THE THREE RIVERS REVIVALISTS

    Note: This page is a mirror. The clearweb version has been DDoS'd so severely and on so many occasions that my service providers have been unable to deal with the problem by any means other than null routing me. To address the likely commenters in advance: I don't believe these attacks were initiated by the TRR, as the majority of the TRR are imprisoned and without computer access, and their full membership was never large enough for an attack of this scale. I don't believe it was a conspiracy at a higher level, either, because the TRR was not a particularly large or influential cult that anyone would’ve been looking out for. If I had to guess, I'd say that I probably unwittingly made an enemy with connections to a black hat hacker organization on a completely unrelated case, and that they targeted the unrelated TRR case in hopes of driving me to paranoia. Didn't work though, fellas. Troll harder. –Gloria Dilwyn

    The self-proclaimed “Reverend” Lester Moore has been the leader of the Three Rivers Revivalists and their associated crematorium—an organization consisting primarily of Moore’s family and close friends—ever since his expulsion from the Christian and Missionary Alliance in 1983. But on December 1st of 2005, the man’s tenure came to an abrupt end when he was arrested and ultimately charged with over 200 criminal violations, including theft by deception, theft of medical waste, theft of human remains, abuse of human remains, unlawful dissection, burial service fraud, forgery, spoliation of evidence, and giving false statements to authorities. He has since admitted guilt and been sentenced to jail time along with 8 other high-ranking members of the TRR, but the motivations of the group remain unclear, as they made no apparent profit from their criminal activities.

    The prosecution has alleged that Moore and his associates deliberately failed to return the cremated ashes of at least 2 different clients’ deceased infants, and instead gave them a mixture of chalk and concrete dust. Members of the TRR also robbed at least 3 fetuses from a Planned Parenthood facility in Los Angeles and dug 5 bodies out from graves in the St. Teresa of ┴vila Children’s Cemetery. While Moore and his associates confessed to these crimes, they also steadfastly refused to accept plea bargains that required them to disclose the final resting places of any of the stolen bodies and tissues, or to elaborate on the reasons why the thefts were committed at all.

    There has been significant speculation that the reasons for the thefts were related to the bizarre practices of the TRR itself, but this has been a difficult hypothesis to confirm given the characteristic recalcitrance of its members—not to mention the destruction of all copies of their “sacred text”,
    The Mother Swells, a document Moore claims that his wife and co-leader Natalie Kensington Moore wrote in her sleep during a vivid and divinely-inspired dream. Moore’s cult was not particularly evangelical, and knowledge of its specific beliefs was virtually nonexistent outside of the congregation, making research into the group’s motivations yet more difficult.

    This has not deterred me. I intend to learn what I can, and will continuously update this weblog as I interview those who were closest to the TRR’s clandestine affairs.

    Today I spoke with a relation of a TRR member who has asked to remain anonymous, but claims to have been privy to certain of their secrets, one of which is a unique “language of the stars” ostensibly constructed by Moore or another high-ranking member for prayer. My source claims that only the senior members of the cult spoke this language fluently, but that all members understood a large number of common phrases, and in particular understood how to count in it.

    Counting was important, because numerology was apparently crucial to certain aspects of TRR worship, which involved symbols and rituals that particularly emphasized the number 13 and all divisors of the number 12 (1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 12). Long before founding the TRR, Lester Moore was an outspoken “dozenalist”, which is to say he advocated the adoption of a base 12 number system by mainstream society to replace the standard base 10; within the confines of the TRR, my source claims that he encouraged members to become familiar with the duodecimal system, use it in all permissible circumstances over the decimal, and teach it to their children before they learned any other system. My source has also confided to me that the “star language” included “profane” names for all numbers, but also included “sacred” names for each of the TRR’s “sacred” numbers, and entrusted me with some of these names:

    hoi | one (profane)
    wid | one (sacred)
    dwo | two (profane)
    neth | two (sacred)
    trei | three (profane)
    thla | three (sacred)
    kort | four (profane)
    arb | four (sacred)
    penk | five
    weks | six (profane)
    sest | six (sacred)
    sab | seven
    thma | eight
    nenn | nine
    dekt | ten
    shar | eleven
    wikt | twelve (profane)
    nish | twelve (sacred)
    wikt-hoi | thirteen (profane)
    nish-wid | thirteen (sacred)

    My source is not certain about the spelling, only the pronunciation.

    UPDATE (03/17/06): My source is no longer comfortable continuing interviews. This will set me back a while, but I fully intend to continue this story. There have to be more people with knowledge of the inner workings of the TRR, however limited, who are willing to come forward.

    UPDATE (04/01/06): After two months going in circles, I’m sad to finally admit that this Internet exposÚ on the TRR may need to be put on indefinite hiatus after all. Leads have dried up, and I need to keep putting out stories regularly if I’m going to keep the site running. I’ll leave up what little I found on the numerology, though. Hopefully someday I can come back and finish what I started.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Wait, were you supposed to feed the cats today?
    No, the batch of cat food you helped Mrs. Semeraro make yesterday should last until Luca comes home.

    That being said, earlier today you did resolve to visit the Semeraros’ apartment to check out the dragon-rimmed mirror, and have not yet done so.

    What will you do?
    Last edited by Varthonai; November 6th, 2015 at 12:59 PM.

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  15. #215
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FayeFox View Post
    > Didn't the texts from Derek contain the sacred name for three in them? Doesn't that remind you of something? Take a picture of the article or a screenshot or something. If all else fails write it down word for word.
    No, the texts from Derek are in plain English. During your encounter in the fog earlier today the texts were in an alphabet that you didn't recognize; if they contained the word that Gloria Dilwyn's article alleges to be a sacred name for "three", it wouldn't be possible for you to compare them, since your only knowledge of the sacred name for "three" is a romanized version.

    Quote Originally Posted by FayeFox View Post
    >Oh yeah, go check that mirror out
    You put your laptop aside and gather up the items that you placed on the bed in order to pick up the laptop. (Inventory Updated) You exit your parents' condo and head up a floor, finding the climb a little easier than yesterday. As per Mrs. S' earlier invitation, you use your keychain to unlock her condo and let yourself in.

    Once inside you navigate past the paintings and the cat tree, over to the wall of the dining room where the dragon-rimmed mirror now hangs. It's a lot smaller than you remembered; as you approach, your face quickly fills it to the edge of its frame, until the carved snakes around the reflection seem to grow from your head as if from a gorgon's.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Use base-13 counting instead.
    Okay.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  16. #216
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Use your marker to unapologetically draw a decagram tridecagram on Mrs. Semeraro's mirror.

    > Admit nothing.
    You take the marker from your messenger bag. (Inventory Updated) The decagram tridecagram is pretty messy-looking, having been drawn without a protractor or straightedge, but it's not as messy-looking as one might have expected--almost like you've had some practice doing it before.


    A keyhole swims faintly into view, similar to the one seen earlier in your bathroom mirror. (Quest Log Updated)

    Quote Originally Posted by Aval View Post
    wait wait wait before that happens is the marker eraseable?
    Yeah, you originally put it into your inventory with this in mind.

    As you reassure yourself of this, you hear a skittering sound from behind you. By the time you have turned around, Kaonashi has already launched himself off the edge of the dining room table with his front paws and forward momentum after a running start, on a collision course with the mirror.

    The two-legged cat's reflection seems to become overwritten by his physical body as he collides with it, so that when he lands on the reflection of the table he is facing away from the mirror, rather than towards it. His tail swishes around in self-satisfaction. He hops down from the reflected table, onto the reflected floor, and then darts out of the mirror frame altogether.

    What will you do?
    Last edited by Varthonai; December 10th, 2015 at 06:29 PM.

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  17. #217
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FayeFox View Post
    >Jump in the mirror! Visit to wonderland. Go through the looking glass.
    The mirror is too small for you to jump bodily through. You try to squeeze and crawl through, but your efforts are obstructed by a solid surface. It would appear as if...

    Quote Originally Posted by Aval View Post
    only cats can use mirrors to travel between worlds, humans have to use keys. It's only logic.
    Precisely.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aval View Post
    >key in hole key in hole key in hole
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Try out the clock shaped ke-- oh jeez when'd we leave that behind.
    You left it behind when you put it on your nightstand to text Mrs. Semeraro earlier today.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Shake the mirror like an etch-a-sketch to see if you can get the cat back out.
    You take the mirror off of the wall, putting the marker on the dining room table and the swiss army knife back in your messenger bag in order to free your hands, in accordance with your item priorities. (Inventory Updated) You shake the mirror, but nothing seems to happen; the keyhole and the tridecagram stay in their positions relative to the surface, and the image in the mirror changes perspective just as you would expect a mirrored surface to change when shaken.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  18. #218
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > See if you can move the mirror to track the cat in the mirrorverse
    Kaonashi seemed to be headed right, towards the kitchen, so you go that way bearing the mirror and quickly find him in the reflection of the catfood bowls. Stella, Halley, Pangur, and BÓn are crowded around the bowls in the "real" world, but in the "mirror" world, Kaonashi appears to have them all to himself.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  19. #219
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Put all of the other cats through the mirror

    > Make sure Mrs. Semeraro isn't watching first
    Mrs. Semeraro seems to be out, still. You pick up Halley and hold him near the surface of the mirror; with a little bit of coaxing, he eventually sticks his head through, then follows with the rest of his body.

    The rest of the cats have scattered by the time you are done getting Halley through. You see a hint of BÓn's tail flicking around the corner into the living room; you follow, pick her up, and try to get her to go through the mirror too. In the middle of your effort, Halley jumps back out of the mirror and runs under the "real world" living room couch. Heh, you think. "Like herding cats".

    Quote Originally Posted by FayeFox View Post
    >Go get the key, quickly!!!!!
    Frustrated with your lack of progress in getting cats into the "mirror world", you head back to your room in your parents' condo, two flights of steps down and a twist of hallways away. You recover the clock-shaped key from your nightstand, where it sits beside the tridecagram drawing. (Inventory Updated)

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  20. #220
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FayeFox View Post
    >do all that but before you go back to the mirror, grab the drawing. Stuff it in your messenger bag.
    You take the tridecagram drawing and place it in your messenger bag. (Inventory Updated)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    >return to the mirror.
    The mirror has not left your possession since you added it to your inventory after taking it off the Semeraros' dining room wall a few minutes ago.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    >key that keyhole up
    You attempt to insert the clock-shaped key into the mirror's keyhole. Unfortunately, it does not seem to fit here either.

    However, in the midst of your attempt, Kaonashi suddenly reappears in the mirror's surface, climbing up onto your mirror-bed and settling down on top of your warm laptop mirror-keyboard.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > If that fails, toss the key through the mirror
    The key merely bounces off the mirror's surface. The noise and the shiny object both catch Kaonashi's attention, though; the two-legged cat propels himself off of your mirror-bed, popping out into your "real" room through the reflective portal and deftly snatching the key in his teeth and paws before it hits the ground. (Inventory Updated)

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  21. #221
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Put the key and the tridecagram drawing inside the cat and throw the cat through the mirror
    Getting the clock-shaped key inside of Kaonashi is not a problem. It is quite small, and he has apparently already swallowed it moments after catching it. You're not sure whether this was entirely intentional on Kaonashi's part, or simply because of the force with which his open maw collided with it.

    Getting the tridecagram inside of Kaonashi proves to be more of a challenge. You try crumpling it up into a small pellet, but he merely sniffs it distastefully and bats your hand away with one of his two paws. He then turns around to explore the rest of your room, scooting his limbless rear end around your floor and enjoying the minimal friction of the cool lacquered wood surface. You'll need to make the tridecagram pellet more tempting somehow. (Inventory Updated)

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  22. #222
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Is there any salami or sandwich turkey in your fridge that you can wrap around the tridecagram?
    From your earlier foray into the kitchen today, you recall that there are various fruits, vegetables, milk, juices, bacon, ham, butter, cheese, and eggs in the fridge, and that there are bagels, bread, honey, jam, cereals, instant oatmeal, biscuit mix, pancake mix, waffle mix, and Pop-Tarts in the cupboards. There is no salami or turkey but you are fairly sure that Kaonashi would be just as appreciative of ham, if not more so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Put the cat in your messenger bag while you fetch the salamdwich turki to prevent any premature mirror transit
    You recall how Mrs. Semeraro restrained Mirage with his special bag yesterday as you pick up Kaonashi and attempt something similar. Kaonashi is, fortunately, much more cooperative and trusting than Mirage, and you take no injuries while doing so. You partially close the messenger bag so that only Kaonashi's head is free, and then you move to the kitchen. (Inventory Updated)

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  23. #223
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Shape in ham shape in ham shape in ham
    You combine ham from the fridge with the crumpled tridecagram to create a meat-wrapped tridecagram. (Inventory Updated)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Ham in cat ham in cat ham in cat
    You feed the meat-wrapped tridecagram to Kaonashi, who turns his head around from inside the messenger bag to accept the treat without hesitation. (Inventory Updated)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Cat in mirror cat in mirror cat in mirror
    You place the mirror on the floor. Then you take Kaonashi from the messenger bag, hold him over the surface, and drop him into it. (Inventory Updated)

    Kaonashi falls about halfway through the mirror and then suddenly stops. There is a wet tearing sound and the two-legged cat mewls, thrashing around as he seems to float suspended between "reality" and the "mirror-world". After a few seconds he becomes oriented with his head in "reality" and his hindquarters in the "mirror-world"; while in this position he begins to sink, dropping a few inches at a time, into the mirror-world, making a gagging noise as he descends. Finally the clock-shaped key and the meat-wrapped tridecagram both pop out of his mouth and sit on the mirror's surface, while Kaonashi falls free and drags himself to some other part of the mirror-room, trickles of red appearing to leak from his mouth until he has moved out of your sight.

    The key and the meat-wrapped tridecagram are now caked in blood, bits of cat flesh, and other substances that you're not sure you can identify, possibly bile or stomach acid. (Inventory Updated)

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  24. #224
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FayeFox View Post
    >Try not to panic at the cruelty you just did and focus on getting the cat out of the mirror. Use the ham to lure him out if necessary (but make sure it's just ham and no other stuff) and then get the cat to a vet asap
    You don't feel particularly panicky. This whole situation feels weirdly familiar, almost comfortingly so. (Quest Log Updated)

    You unwrap the ham from around the meat-wrapped tridecagram, and you pick up the mirror to shift the reflected image until you find Kaonashi curled up lethargically in a corner; the clock-shaped key and the tridecagram pellet slide off its surface and fall to the kitchen floor. You prop the mirror against one of the kitchen walls at an angle, so that Kaonashi remains in your sights; you extend the ham toward the mirror's surface, but Kaonashi does not seem interested now. (Inventory Updated)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Maybe go try (gently) picking up the air on your side of the mirror where the cat would be and (gently) transferring him back out of the mirror?
    You back away from the mirror and approach the spot in the "real world" where Kaonashi lies curled up in an analogous position in the mirror-world. Your mirrored reflection does the same. You attempt to pick up Kaonashi by indirectly controlling your reflected self in this manner, but it is difficult; your reflected self does not transfer any sensation of touch, so grasping at Kaonashi is a somewhat less than dextrous process. Moreover, Kaonashi seems distressed at your reflected self's approach. Moments after it has touched him, he has slipped through its clumsy fingers and crawled off the visible edge of the mirror again.

    It would seem that the best way to rescue Kaonashi would be to find some way to enter the mirror-world directly. You have not yet tried many of the keyholes and mirrors remaining on your speculative list.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

Similar Threads

  1. Ride Like The Wind
    By Oscar in forum News
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: September 4th, 2010, 04:29 AM
  2. Ride like the wind on NG
    By Oscar in forum News
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: August 25th, 2010, 05:04 PM
  3. Gone With the wind...
    By Silitor in forum General Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: July 6th, 2009, 04:02 PM
  4. Big world
    By Kenneth in forum General Lounge
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: December 13th, 2008, 04:20 PM
  5. [Flash]Wind tunnel - Miccool
    By Miccool in forum Showoff
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: April 9th, 2007, 10:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •