Register
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 224
  1. #101
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Cut the circle of newspaper containing the tridecagram out of the rest of the paper. If you have to flail a whole newspaper around to see your enemy, you might as well be blind.

    > Put the tridecagram up to the mirror and peek out into the hallway. Compare what you see to what appears in the mirror.
    There are no readily apparent scissors in your dad's office, so you cut a circle around the tridecagram using the utility knife and lift it free. You then take it to the door and angle the circle against the mirror so that the tridecagram's image is centered within it.

    Nothing seems to change. You squint, and wonder for a moment if you should try drawing the tridecagram again.

    Then suddenly the floating flaypuppet drifts past you, coming down from the north out of the jungle that is the vegetable garden, paying you no heed on its southward path. It is slightly out of focus, its outline blurred, but other than that it is much the same as the two times you have seen it with your naked eyes before. It drifts until it reaches the corner of the living room, then stops, flails awkwardly to the left (making sure there's no wall in the way? you wonder) and begins drifting down the eastern hallway, out of sight.

    Out of habit, you glance at the mirror again after it has disappeared, and notice something odd--the reflection of the text on the newspaper background is different. To your normal vision it is in English and is about missing persons, but in the reflection it's in a completely different language that doesn't even use the Roman alphabet.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  2. #102
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Also, it looks like tridecagram quality is directly correlated to 'otherworldly' vision - The mirror with no tridecagram has the worst quality possible and you have none at all.

    > See if you can find a way to get a photo of a mathematically perfect tridecagram and use that
    You doubt there's one in the condo; neither of your parents are the kind of folks to keep texts on obscure geometry lying around. There is still the image from North's database, though, plus anything else the Internet might turn up.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  3. #103
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    Write Nyes Kaleth and reflect it on the mirror, maybe it works both ways.
    Having only ever heard it spoken, you attempt to render the phrase "Nysh-Kheleth" into English phonetic spelling and end up with "nish kell eth" on another scrap of newspaper. You take away the tridecagram and see what happens with the written phrase.

    You wait for a minute or two, but nothing appears to happen.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  4. #104
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    Alright, think of a way to get Linda's hands on a perfect tridecagram if you'd be so kind.
    You recall a stray thought that you had recently.

    Quote Originally Posted by Varthonai View Post
    You doubt there's one in the condo; neither of your parents are the kind of folks to keep texts on obscure geometry lying around. There is still the image from North's database, though, plus anything else the Internet might turn up.

    What will you do?
    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  5. #105
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    What happened to Linda's phone/notebook? Is there another device nearby that would also allow her to access a better tridecagram without exposing herself to the plastic creature?
    Your phone is not a smartphone; you haven't been able to afford one. Your tablet can connect to wi-fi networks but the local network is out due to the power outage. You think that your only viable connection to the Internet right now is probably your dad's mobile broadband wireless router, which is still stuck in your laptop's USB port.

    You could attempt to proceed without a perfect tridecagram, though. While their outlines are slightly blurry, you can still see the plasticbeasts well enough to reliably attack or avoid them. You could also stay here and investigate the strange language and alphabet visible on the newspaper background through the locket mirror, or attempt to arm yourself with another weapon, or pursue a different course of action entirely.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  6. #106
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Okay, weapon definitely comes first.
    The claw hammer or either of the wrenches would make a serviceable blunt instrument of violence. Either of the screwdrivers or the drill could be used as stabbing weapons. The utility knife is probably not ideal as the blade is so stubby.

    You also recall the sharp chisel in the vegetable garden.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Additionally, is it possible in any way to connect your wireless router to your tablet?
    Yes, absolutely. Your tablet has a USB port, same as your laptop.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  7. #107
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aval View Post
    Get it done, exercise caution and weild whichever weapon gives you the most distance between creature and hands. I imagine that's the Hammer.
    You heft the claw hammer, which is indeed longer-handled than the other weapons. You pinch the scrap of newspaper upon which you have scribed the tridecagram between the index and middle fingers of your left hand, keeping it angled so as to stay visible in the locket mirror. Thus armed, you begin making your way back to your room.

    You head down through the vegetable garden and south through the hallway, turning east at the first juncture and heading around the dining room. You are about to turn down the next hallway when you see the floating plasticpuppet again, blocking your path.

    Something is different about the creature this time, something beyond its slightly blurred outline. Its left hand is smeared in something thick, dark, and viscous, like tar; it drips from the creature's fingers like a sweaty secretion. Its right hand is fumbling at the knob of your parents' bedroom door, and after a tense second the latch clicks and the door swings open. The creature floats inside, groping around with the tarred hand, trying to get a sense of the space within.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  8. #108
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    Sneak behind and bash the creature's skull with the hammer.
    You head down the hallway to attack the creature, sneaking slowly and quietly as you feel is safe. You hear a familiar coughing sound that grows louder as you approach, and when you finally arrive at the threshold of your parents' open door, you see that the coughing is coming from your mother, and you see that the creature's left hand has been thrust down between her ribs. You panic initially, but in a moment the hand is withdrawn, there appears to be no wound on your mother's body, and she is still breathing, though her breaths are somewhat erratic and she still coughs. Neither of your parents appear to have awoken.

    The creature's hand is no longer tarred, however, and its fingers are now covered in tiny pieces of spongy pink flesh instead. The creature stabs these fingers through the wrap covering its mouth, which stretches and tears and splits--not unlike what you imagined a few moments ago in the foyer, when you felt the invisible walking puppet trying to stick your fingers into its mouth. Fluid spurts out when the wrap breaks, a clear and colorless liquid that makes you think of the lymphy and ironless blood of insects. The creature licks the bubbly meat from its fingers like the last scraps of chicken from a bone.

    By this point you have maneuvered to the creature's back. You raise the hammer and bring it down as hard as you can.

    There is an unpleasant crunching sound, like splintering wood, and somewhat to your surprise the force of the blow leaves a deep and ragged "cut" across the creature's head--somehow you thought that blunt weapons would only cause bruises on the surface, and that all of the serious damage would be internal, but the hammer actually sinks about a quarter-inch into the monster's head and then skins off the plastic wrap and several layers of the muscle, peeling them to the side while the hammerhead skids across the surface of the skull. Some loosened fragments of bone drop out of the hole you've opened and land softly into the carpeted floor. Something long, black, and wriggling also falls out of the hole with the skull shards, darting off under the bed before you can get a good look at it. Through the opening you can see the wet and pulsating pink-and-red mass of a brain.

    The creature gargles painfully, a sound like the gargling of the crawling puppetmonster that you encountered in your room. It whirls about from its floating position in midair, then hits you in the stomach with a blow that sends you sprawling out of the room and into the outer wall of the bathroom. You try to stand, but the creature's attack has left you so winded and nauseated that you collapse and vomit on the floor of the hallway when you attempt to rise even to your knees. The creature emerges from your parents' room a moment later, headed towards you.

    You have managed to retain your grip on the hammer, the locket, and the tridecagram despite the attack. You guess your fists instinctively clenched hard in response to a blow to the gut, keeping the items safe.

    What will you do?
    Last edited by Varthonai; September 8th, 2014 at 11:07 PM.

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  9. #109
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Alright, desperate measures.

    > We need to call for help.

    > "DOGMASK!"

    > Since he's probably too aloof to help you, be prepared to strike the puppet again.
    If he is still nearby, he does not seem to be responding to that name.

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    Nyes Keleth, please.
    The words do not seem to have any effect. The creature continues to glide toward you.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  10. #110
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Prepare to hit it like a baseball
    You do so, which mainly consists of shifting yourself into an upright sitting position and making sure your grip on the hammer is still firm, since there isn't a whole lot of other preparation you can take. The lighter fluid bottle and matchbox in your pocket bunch uncomfortably into your thigh as you turn over.

    The creature is so close now that even with the blurriness of its outline you can see details that you hadn't noticed before. The "plastic" wrap has tiny translucent tubes running through it, like the veins of a dragonfly's wings--the hemolymph-esque fluids in its mouth are dripping from dozens of these broken vessels. The broken wrap over its mouth is quickly healing, too, the veins knitting together and exuding fresh sheets of the translucent film as they join. The grievous wound you inflicted upon its skull still looks just as bad, though.

    The creature sticks its tongue out into the air through the center of the rapidly-closing hole, and the tongue flicks about for a moment like a snake's; after the moment has passed, the tongue points straight in your direction, and the creature begins to reach down toward you from where it hovers three or four feet above the ground.

    What will you do?

    [note: in case any of the regular readers other than ducky, melanism, aval and k_t weren't aware--everyone is allowed to post suggestions, it's not restricted]
    Last edited by Varthonai; September 7th, 2014 at 01:06 AM.

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  11. #111
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Hit the jaw so it bites off its own tongue. In theory, this will effectively blind it.
    You strike upwards with the hammer as the creature descends, its tongue still extended. Your blow connects with its chin and its teeth clamp together; the tongue is caught between them and cut, but not severed. Transparent hemolymph drips from the bite marks and from the gash your hammer has torn in the soft flesh beneath the monster's jaw; a long scrap of loose muscle and fat and wrap dangles from the gash like an unusually obscene goatee.

    The monster gargles in pain again and seizes you by your ratty black hair, pulling upward hard. The pain in your scalp is excruciating and forces you up to your knees, the nausea you experience in getting up dulled by comparison. You cry out. You can't be sure since it has no lips, but the stringy muscles moving around the creature's mouth suggest that it is trying to smile.

    What will you do?
    Last edited by Varthonai; September 8th, 2014 at 11:05 PM.

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  12. #112
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Crush the arm holding you
    You raise the hammer high and then bring it down on the monster's forearm, splitting wrap and muscle tissue again, thunking against something hard. You think you fractured the bone, but the arm's grip on your hair does not loosen. A scrap of the spongy pink meat that it pulled out of your mother falls from its fingers and bounces off your forehead. Then the monster's other arm buries itself in your stomach.

    You expect to feel something rip inside you. You imagine a phantom pain, a sensation of tugging on your intestines, in anticipation. But after a moment you realize the truth is that you are feeling absolutely nothing at all, and when the monster's arm withdraws there is no wound; it clutches something in a closed fist, something that glows with a sickly greenish light, but you cannot make it out in great detail. Whatever it is, the monster raises it to its mouth, stuffs it inside, and swallows.

    What will you do?
    Last edited by Varthonai; September 8th, 2014 at 11:11 PM.

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  13. #113
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Be soulless now as a result of its actions. Kill the monster mercilessly and uncaringly
    You don't feel merciless or uncaring. In fact, you feel a sort of lightness, a sensation of pleasantly unraveling--like pulling the wrapping off a Christmas present, or shuffling off dirty clothes before a warm bath. Your senses are dulled and the world seems faint and surreal. The absurdity of the apparently supernatural phenomena you have witnessed this night becomes more apparent to you than it was a moment ago; you feel very self-aware about being at the apparent center of a horror story.

    Still, this monster may have hurt your mother, and that's reason enough to kill it as far as you're concerned. You just need to pick a method.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  14. #114
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkCat View Post
    > Return the favor and retrieve the green glow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > See if you can snatch your glowy green stuff back, as per DC's suggestion.

    > Set the creature on fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkCat View Post
    > Set the creature on fire by plunging your hand whilst holding said fire into the creatures throat/stomach/wherever the glow is currently and retrieve your precious whatever it is.
    You withdraw the bottle of lighter fluid, unscrew the cap, and squeeze it hard, spraying an arc of the stuff all over the creature's chest and neck. It lets go of your hair, as if bewildered. It touches the wet foreign substance gingerly with both hands.

    You strike a match and thrust the flaming end into the creature's now-flammable sternum. The flickering red-orange tongue licks the wet wrap for a moment, seeming not to have any effect. But after a second the flame suddenly bursts and spreads all across the creature's upper body in seconds. The monster gargles and flails about in a panic. Its wrap dissolves in the heat like wax, stretching, distorting, and dripping off in sheets. The muscle and bone beneath the wrap blacken and shrivel.

    Overcome by sudden strange impulse, you drop the claw hammer and thrust your now-empty hand toward the creature's burning throat. The flames sear your fingers but you ignore the pain and keep pushing. Meat that has transformed into crispy charcoal crumbles away at your touch. The creature's gargling becomes a hoarse, pitchless coughing and spitting noise as its throat breaks open. You see a hint of the greenish glow again, and you wrap your other arm around the creature's back to brace it as you push deeper, your fingers seeking the glow until you touch something that feels familiar somehow, contoured but smooth and hard and cool.

    Something inside the creature's body yanks the object from your probing hand before you can seize it, and a second later the creature's charred torso splits apart with a loud twisting and popping noise, throwing chunks of burnt flesh and bone in several directions. Its arms lie on the ground several paces apart, severed and scattered by the burst. Its head lolls around on a bent and protruding piece of spine. And then, you swear that you see a black centipede, longer and wider than your arm, wriggle free of the ruined ribcage and skitter westward down the hall, its eyes and front pincers faintly illuminated with green. Several smaller wormy crawling things seem to evacuate the puppetmonster's burning husk as well, which remains suspended in the air for a few more seconds before finally crashing to the floor in a heap.


    The flames begin to die down. The body isn't inherently very flammable, and most of the lighter fluid has already been consumed.

    Your fingers are not as badly hurt as you might have worried, upon trivial inspection. They are reddened and painful but you think that they are only first-degree, maybe superficial second-degree burns.

    What will you do?
    Last edited by Varthonai; November 16th, 2015 at 08:36 PM.

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  15. #115
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Hunt that creature. That green thing is probably important!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkCat View Post
    > Don't forget the claw hammer.
    You stagger up around the corner hallway and turn west, heading after the giant centipede and bending down to grab the claw hammer as you pass it. At the end of the hall you see the centipede skitter and squeeze underneath the gap between the threshold and the pantry door, which is now closed. You try to open the door and continue the chase, but find that it is locked. This is somewhat surprising; while the pantry door does indeed have a lock, the key has been lost since before your family moved here, and since there is no manual deadbolt knob it should be impossible to lock without a key.

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    Step on the bugs, one of them has your soul!
    You use your heels to vent your frustration on some of the slithering creatures that emerged from the body of the floating flaypuppet, forgetting that you are barefoot until squishy wet innards cover the soles of your feet.

    What will you do?
    Last edited by Varthonai; November 16th, 2015 at 08:36 PM.

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  16. #116
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    Attempt to make Dogmask feel guilty for not helping you.
    "Hope you're having a good time watching over there," you stage-whisper towards the living room. It's pretty loud. If he has functional ears, then even around the bend of two hallways he probably heard you.

    Quote Originally Posted by FayeFox View Post
    Wipe your foot on the ground as you would if you had mud on the sole of your shoe. Then, consider your options for picking the lock on the pantry.
    If you had mud on the sole of your shoe, you'd probably need some kind of cheap welcome mat to wipe it off; the floor you're standing on is bare wood. So instead you head into the bathroom right behind you, grab a sheet of toilet paper, wet it in the sink, wipe off the sole of your foot, and drop the wad of wet paper and invertebrate interiors into the toilet.

    Returning to the pantry door, you examine the lock. All the door locks in the condo are antique mortise warded locks, unlikely to resist the efforts of even the most amateur modern burglar--except for the front door lock, of course, which was replaced by the previous occupants. Like most warded locks it consists of a set of concentric plates ("wards") protruding outwards, blocking the rotation of a key not designed for that lock; the correct key's unique notched profile will allow it to turn through the obstructing plates and activate a sliding bolt to open the lock.






    The locking mechanism is mounted on the wooden door with four slightly rusty nails that surround the keyhole.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > If picking the lock fails, smash the door down with your feet/the hammer. It's an interior door and should break easily.
    You'd prefer not to cause extensive damage to your parents' property if it can be avoided--that's the tenant's shtick, and you're trying very hard to be a helpful and constructive member of the household. Picking or disassembling the lock is one thing, but breaking the door apart is not easily reversible. You're still not entirely sure what possessed you to seek the green glowing object with such a fervor as to even consider this course of action.

    Suddenly you hear a noise through the door--the familiar unpleasant burble of the flaypuppets, the squishy footfalls of the walking monster that you encountered in the foyer, and then a strange high-pitched squeal followed by a loud crunching noise.

    What will you do?

    Quote Originally Posted by FayeFox View Post
    (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to play this, or if I'm doing this correctly. Just let me know if this isn't right or if I'm not allowed or whatever. This just looked like fun, so I thought I'd give it a go.)
    [By all means--I am thrilled to have suggestions from a bigger variety of people, it moves the story a little faster.]

    [Clarifying again: anyone can post commands at any time. Linda may not follow them if they are extremely out of character, but there is no harm in trying!]

    Quote Originally Posted by Etr1us1029 View Post
    (Me too. I have no idea how this works.)
    [see my response to FayeFox]
    Last edited by Varthonai; September 14th, 2014 at 12:57 AM.

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  17. #117
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    Get pumped, you might need to blow up nor creatures. Investigate the noise.
    Your mood remains weirdly calm and sedate; getting pumped doesn't seem to be a thing that is going to happen. You cannot investigate the noise while it remains on the other side of a locked door from you.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  18. #118
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Etr1us1029 View Post
    Kick the door moderately hard and wait for a response. Make sure to find a suitable exit first though in case you need to run.
    [repasting map for convenience again again]


    You mentally plan an emergency route back to the fire escape, then kick the door.

    Immediately, the footfalls grow louder, approaching the door. Squish, squish, squish-squish, goes the wet meat slapping linoleum. The door resonates with a loud thump as something beats against it from the other side. You prepare to evacuate if the door should come flying off its hinges or something predictable like that.

    Instead, there is another squishing noise as the creature apparently drags a limb across the surface of the door, probing apprehensively. After a moment it loses interest and the footfalls begin to recede.

    Quote Originally Posted by FayeFox View Post
    Pull at the rusty nails, see if you can just remove the lock
    You attempt to pull at the rusty nails, but it's not really a manageable endeavor with your bare hands. If only you had some sort of tool on your person specifically designed for the extracting of nails.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Seriously, that thing in there has some kind of important piece of you and also those from your family. If you're worried about them, wanton property damage would be your best shot at getting those pieces back and possibly saving all of you
    You keep coming back to this line of thinking--that something has been taken from you, somehow, and possibly from your mother too. But it doesn't make sense. You and your mother both seem to be in more or less the same condition that you have been in since long before these creatures invaded your condo. That green glow--did it even come from you, or was it something generated by the creature, like the black oily stuff secreted from its hand? There are a lot of variables in play here and you're not sure what to believe.

    There does seem to be some consistency to these creatures' behaviors, though. Your faith in epistemology is slowly coming back to you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    What about Mrs. Semeraro? She's been our objective before plastic (douche)bag attacked us. I say pay a visit to her apartment.
    You have too much else on your plate right now to deal with Mrs. Semeraro.

    What will you do?

    [Sorry Mel; your command wasn't especially out of character for Linda, but I give preference to earlier posters when mutually exclusive commands are given]

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  19. #119
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FayeFox View Post
    Use the claw hammer to pull at the rusty nails on the lock. (Gosh, I feel like an idiot for not starting with that command.)
    [:3]

    You use the claw hammer's clawed end to pry four nails from the plate that covers the locking mechanism, and then to remove the plate. Inside the locking mechanism is a hollow space carved into the door, which contains the aforementioned wards and sliding bolt. You are able to pull the exposed bolt aside with your bare fingers. The door creaks open slowly.

    You cast your flashlight beam around warily. The pantry and kitchen areas seem to have been abandoned. In the middle of the kitchen floor, the giant black centipede-thing lies in a pool of hemolymph; or more accurately, its front half lies there, some of its legs still twitching slightly every few seconds. Its back half has been raggedly torn away, possibly with teeth, judging by the marks and dents in its carapace around the wound. An object emits a greenish glow from within its visibly eviscerated digestive tract.

    What will you do?
    Last edited by Varthonai; October 17th, 2014 at 04:07 PM.

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  20. #120
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    Drop everything and run off to Mrs Semeraro's!

    Just kidding. Obviously some(thing) feasted on the centipede, but the green stuff is still intact: Linda > Grab the glowing object. You'll have to put your hands inside the digestive tract like that Bruce Willis movie with Gary Oldman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > We all know who did this

    > Grab the green thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Etr1us1029 View Post
    Grab the green thing and examine it.
    You push your hand into the wet, gaping cavity within the severed half of the centipede creature and take hold of the object. It feels like pushing your hand through a pile of rotting oranges in a compost heap and you almost feel a little sick, drawn slightly out of your weird state of blissful emotional detachment. But you get over yourself and keep fumbling until it's almost free.

    The severed front half of the centipede then coils around on its remaining legs, quick as a cockroach, and sinks its pincers into your upper arm.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  21. #121
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Stomp the bastard!
    Quote Originally Posted by Etr1us1029 View Post
    Kill its ass!
    You get into a very uncomfortable position on the floor; it's not easy trying to aim your foot high enough to stomp at a creature that is biting your upper left arm. Once you finally do, you find that its carapace is quite resilient. After several hard knocks, your bare heel hurts and you're still not sure that you have even cracked the shell.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkCat View Post
    > Rip the pincer off the creature, pull it out of your arm and stab the crap out of the creature.
    You attempt to rip one of the pincers off at the base with your other arm, dropping the claw hammer to do so. The carapace over the pincers seems slightly thinner than the carapace over the rest of the body; it is unyielding upon your first attempt, and even begins squeezing tighter, but after a few seconds of struggle you feel a tiny shift, and a moment later the joint sunders with a loud crack and crunch. You ram the pincer's point into the gap between the centipede's neck segment and frontmost body segment, driving it satisfyingly deep and causing the centipede to produce a sound much like the squeal that you heard from the hallway not long ago. You rip the pincer free and attempt to stab again, but the point has gone missing, much like the points of your knives earlier.

    You notice, after your failed stab, that your arms seem to be growing redder. Inflammation? you wonder. Was that bite poisonous? But no, after a moment you realize that they are not growing redder--your skin and adipose tissues are growing translucent, and the red muscle of your arms is beginning to show through.

    The centipede-creature takes advantage of your momentary distraction to flail about and begin trying to limp in the general direction of the dining room, not making very swift progress. The green-glowing object tumbles out of its trailing guts and spins for a second on the kitchen floor before coming to rest.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  22. #122
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    That centipede has been harassing you since before the puppets appeared, finish it once and for all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Get your green thing back before you turn into a nightmare puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Etr1us1029 View Post
    Get your green thing back before something worse happens.
    You are torn between two impulses, but decide to go with your first one and get that centipede-creature before it finishes hauling itself away. The object doesn't seem to be going anywhere. You grab the claw hammer and lunge before the creature can make it to the dining room threshold, hammering at its cracked head again and again until it caves in, spurting out ganglia and hemolymph in a starburst pattern that soaks the lower legs of your pajama pants. The body stops moving and you take a moment to catch your breath.

    When you are ready you turn back toward the kitchen to follow your second impulse and examine the object. It appears to be... one of your pills, actually, though the green glow is certainly new. You're not sure which kind of pill it is, so you pick it up in your left hand to examine it at closer range.

    A heavy weight descends onto your back. Powerful arms and knees lock around you as the crawling flaypuppet drops from above. You go sprawling and the glowing pill drops from your grip and rolls off across the kitchen floor, into the darkness beyond the small ring of illumination offered by your keychain flashlight. You see the pill's faint green aura come to a stop near the open pantry door.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  23. #123
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    Try to end up above the creature by twisting and rolling, then elbow it in the face. Does Linda still has the hammer or did she drop it?
    You attempt to reverse the crawling monster's pin but its upper body strength is vastly greater than yours. You try to elbow it in the face and get a bite in response--its teeth come down on the tip of your right elbow, grinding through its own plastic skin before slicing into yours, skinning it clean. Blood quickly wells up and rolls down your arm from the wound, and the creature licks at it hungrily.

    You still hold the claw hammer in your right hand and are preparing yourself to use it, when suddenly a second massive weight barrels into the two of you and knocks you apart. You go rolling into the base of the dishwasher, and when you look back up you see that Dogmask has finally decided to intervene. His enormous glaive is still strapped to the back of his gray robes, but he doesn't seem to need it--he lifts the crawling monster with one enormous hand and bashes its face into the side of the refrigerator, pulls it back, then bashes it in again, rocking the refrigerator back and forth with the force of each blow. He does it over and over, until the creature's teeth scatter from its mouth like popcorn from an uncovered cookpot. Over and over, until its jaw is dislocated and then shattered until it flops in scarlet chunks against the creature's neck, looking like the wattles of a rooster. Over and over, until its featureless face splits apart and the skull cracks underneath. Over and over, until its head implodes and its brain becomes a red smear on the fridge's white casing. Over and over, until it finally stops struggling and falls flaccid in Dogmask's grasp.

    Dogmask isn't done yet. He seizes the shapeless mass that used to be the creature's head and pulls it off from the torso, trailing broken blood vessels and stringy sinews, before reaching down through the newly-created hole and scooping something out like he's preparing a pumpkin to be carved for Halloween. But instead of pumpkin guts, the thing he pulls out is a fistful of enormous worms, some black and some pale, wriggling in his hand but unable to escape. He tightens his grip until they are all split lengthwise and fall apart at his feet. He stomps the severed halves for good measure and seems to finally be satisfied.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  24. #124
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Hug dogmask

    > Non-threateningly
    You move up slowly and give the guy a big, but cautious, hug. He stares at you as you approach, but doesn't react, as he has tended to do.

    At this range, bathed in the light of your keychain flashlight, you notice that the wreath of gray flowers crowning Dogmask's head doesn't seem to contain any green stems that would have allowed the flowers to interweave. The "flowers" appear to be rooted and growing beneath the surface of his bald head, with the same color and texture as his skin--flowers of flesh.

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    That was badass. Get back on the green thing.
    You warily release Dogmask from your embrace and start walking around him to retrieve the glowing pill. Immediately, Dogmask's hand strikes like a snake at your left wrist and pulls you back. He pulls your hand up to his face and examines the translucent skin, which is becoming more ghostly every second. "Ma aldya hadeth?" he asks.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  25. #125
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > "I don't understand?"

    > Make a mental note of the phrase.
    You do both of these things. Dogmask reaches behind his back with his free hand and draws his glaive in a smooth, practiced motion, then brings it down on the green pill, splitting it neatly in half. The glow vanishes. You suddenly feel very nauseated, like your blissful dissociation is ending and you are suddenly coming to absolute panicky terms with the fact that your life is in danger and that you are covered in both your own blood and the blood of monsters. You hyperventilate and struggle but Dogmask does not let go of your wrist.

    "Thla awa alya ela jialodan," he chants reverently as he turns back to you and raises the glaive a second time. "Thla awa amlut ela lebuath. Kul alya, kul amlut, kul wahjud gyrrha Nysh-Kheleth lu Omoi..."

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

Similar Threads

  1. Ride Like The Wind
    By Oscar in forum News
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: September 4th, 2010, 03:29 AM
  2. Ride like the wind on NG
    By Oscar in forum News
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: August 25th, 2010, 04:04 PM
  3. Gone With the wind...
    By Silitor in forum General Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: July 6th, 2009, 03:02 PM
  4. Big world
    By Kenneth in forum General Lounge
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: December 13th, 2008, 03:20 PM
  5. [Flash]Wind tunnel - Miccool
    By Miccool in forum Showoff
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: April 9th, 2007, 09:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •