Register
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 224
  1. #76
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Run screaming into the dining room with the knife, butchering whatever is inside.

    NO NO NO DON'T DO THAT

    > Calmly enter the dining room and examine it for signs of Mr. (or Mrs?) Plastic Wrap.
    You head into the dining room with the knife held low, unthreatening as possible. Like you're just on your way to pick and chop some veggies from your dad's garden or something. In the middle of the night. With no cutting board, and a pocket full of fire hazards. Yeah.

    You see no sign of the creature, only the dining room's kinda bland pale green forest-themed wallpaper and some brass candlesticks on the dark cypress-wood dining room table. However, as per your early decision to remain attentive to the locket, you see something odd in the reflection of the dining room's northern hallway entrance. There is a long shadow being cast by the moonlight through the apartment's eastern windows. The shadow stretches from some source in the living room and all the way across the hall to poke its very tip gently over the dining room door's threshold.

    The shadow is only visible in the mirror. You do not see it when you look at it directly, and confirm this with multiple tests.

    What will you do?
    Last edited by Varthonai; August 7th, 2014 at 05:51 AM.

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  2. #77
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killing_Time View Post
    Assuming the northern dining room door as well as the living room door are both fully open, could you possibly crouch and move eastward so the living room is in view? This is under the assumption that the dining table and chairs will conceal you.
    You think that the dining table and chairs would afford a reasonable level of concealment, but obviously if you can see whatever is casting the shadow then at the very least your eyes will be exposed. And that's putting aside the fact that this creature is probably not relying on vision to find things anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Quickly write a note: IF I AM DEAD IT WAS AN ACTUAL MONSTER.
    You indulge your silly first instinct and scrawl the note on a napkin with a stray pen before putting them both back down on the table. Your usual inhibitions are gone, after all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Boldly attempt to speak to the beast.
    You decide to throw caution to the wind, no longer caring that the tables and chairs may not provide effective concealment. You move to the east side of the dining room and continue to examine the shadow through the mirror.

    After a moment, you see that the source of the shadow is a tall figure in silhouette--incredibly tall. It stands by the family's seven foot grandfather clock and is nearly the same height itself. It is outlined in moonlight, and you can see that it wears a set of long gray robes. This is not the same creature you saw before, so you are no longer sure that you want to try speaking to it; you will have to make up your mind again.

    For a moment you think that it has horns, but as your eyes adjust you see that these are actually the pointed ears of some kind of mask. The details of the mask are difficult to discern at this distance, especially viewed on the tiny mirror in the dim light, but you can tell that it is a mask because you see a gap of pale flesh between the collar of the robes and the mask's base, illuminated by the moonlight. The top of its head is pale flesh too; it is bald. A circle of entwined gray flowers crown its bare scalp, and you recognize them immediately as the unearthly six-petaled flowers that you saw earlier in Mrs. Semeraro's condo. You see little concrete evidence that this is a monster; it could easily be a very tall human, excepting that it seems invisible to normal sight.

    It carries a stick topped with a long curved spear blade--a glaive, you think. The weapon is even taller than the silhouetted figure. It nearly scrapes the living room ceiling.

    You are not certain, since using a mirror to see has slightly disoriented your perception of angles, but you think that the figure is staring at you. It doesn't react, though. It stares in silence, all but motionless.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  3. #78
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > "Tea or coffee?"
    No response. The figure continues to stare from across the hall, quiet and unmoving.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  4. #79
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    If you can move the mirror: star walking backwards towards the tall mysterious being while staring at the mirror in front of you to guide yourself and watch the figure's behaviour.
    The mirror is inside of the locket, so yes, you can move it. You walk backwards and approach the figure slowly. Its behavior does not change; it continues to stare and not react.

    As you approach you see that it wears a rope belt around its robes, from which dangle a set of silver keys. You also notice that the head of its glaive does not appear to be metal, but rather a long and jagged shard of mirrored glass or crystal. You get a little more detail of its mask, too; it seems to be a dog, or perhaps a wolf or fox. Something canine.

    As you approach the threshold of the living room door you see that it is not just a dog mask but a wide and two-faced dog mask--a Janus dog, if such a thing could exist, with three eyes and two snouts just like Mirage the cat.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  5. #80
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    Linda's got nerves of steel. Make physical contact with the figure, slowly reaching out your hand to touch it while studying him/her in the mirror.
    You didn't really get a strong association with a particular sex for the other creature, but this one looks pretty distinctively male to you; it is broad-shouldered and blocky in figure, and at this range you think you see a trace of stubble on its exposed neck.

    You reach a hand out to what seems to be empty space in normal vision, but which is occupied by the dogfaced man in the mirror. You feel the skin of his neck; it is soft and cool, very cool.

    "Nysh-Kheleth," he says, suddenly. His voice is a low whisper, but gruff and fearsome. His glaive wavers slightly, like he's tightening his grip.

    Quote Originally Posted by BanHammor View Post
    How badly does your version of Linda want to kill herself, Mel?
    Rethink what you are currently trying to do.
    Try not to be slain by the weird Janus-mask-wielding creature.
    See if the figure is tangible by throwing something light in its direction. DO NOT TOUCH. DO. NOT. TOUCH.
    Alas, your sensible side has prevailed too late.

    You hear the sound of a door creaking again. Since you are facing south to check the mirror while walking backwards, you see Derek's bedroom door opening, apparently on its own.

    What will you do?

    [note: when two commands are mutually exclusive i will generally pick the one that was posted first unless it is completely out of character for linda]
    Last edited by Varthonai; August 9th, 2014 at 11:27 PM. Reason: accidental double post

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  6. #81
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    As much as I'd like Linda to get stabbed by an invisible warrior, I'd be more comfortable if she went on to investigate Derek's bedroom. The Janus dog can wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Assure Janus dog that tea and/or coffee is coming, but will be delayed by your interest in surviving and securing your home.

    > Investigate the door.
    You think he's got the idea already, seeing as how he's waiting so patiently and without complaint or fidgeting.

    You head toward Derek's room and check around in the mirror, but you don't see any monsters. Something was definitely in here a second ago though--the room is in disarray, books pulled haphazardly off the shelves and strewn across the floor, paintings tilted or knocked off the walls, chairs toppled. The carpeted floor must have muffled the noise.

    It occurs to you what a profound disadvantage it is to only be able to see these things in the tiny locket mirror; the time it took to turn the mirror around and focus it on the right spots may have just cost you a proper lead. You're not sure what happened in your bedroom that allowed you to see the monster briefly with your normal sight, but you wish you could recreate it. Dogmask back there could have swatted the locket right out of your hand and rendered you completely helpless in an instant if he'd wanted to.

    What will you do?
    Last edited by Varthonai; August 9th, 2014 at 11:26 PM.

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  7. #82
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Go back to dogmask and ask bluntly whether he's friendly.
    "Are you friendly?" you ask, losing a little bit of your self-assuredness in the process. Indulging in this silliness is starting to bring home how completely out of your depth you probably are right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > If no response or more unknown language speaking, just let him stand there and give him some room.
    No response from Dogmask. You back away.

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    Does your laptop/mobile have any power left? Bing what the masked man said to you when you booped his throat.
    You head back to your room and see that your laptop is at 3% power. Bringing it out of the screensaver and opening your browser tabs immediately takes it down to 2%.

    In the corner of your peripheral vision you are shocked to suddenly see the flayed monster with your naked eyes, turning the corner at the end of the hall and then--somewhat hesitantly, you think--beginning to float through the open bathroom door. It only lasts for a split second, though; as soon as you shift your position for a better look, it disappears again.

    You shiver and turn back to the laptop, opening up a new tab on top of that star image from Prof. North's database. You hit up a search engine and try to look for the words that Dogmask spoke, repeating them to yourself in a whisper to try and be sure you have them right phonetically. "Nishcaleth?" you mumble. "Nisskulleth?" You try a bunch of different possible combinations and none of them turn up anything that looks relevant. Most of them don't turn up anything at all.

    What will you do?
    Last edited by Varthonai; August 9th, 2014 at 11:28 PM.

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  8. #83
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    Sneaky little creature. Arm Linda with courage and storm in the bathroom.
    You stride forward purposefully, and immediately collide with something unseen across your doorframe.

    You fall flat on your back and hear a hissing, gargling sound, a sound like a death rattle. A second later you feel fingers fumbling across your bare left foot; the fingers feel cold and kind of squishy, but also somehow dry, leaving no moisture behind where they have touched, like a package of refrigerated sausages.

    What will you do?
    Last edited by Varthonai; August 9th, 2014 at 11:37 PM.

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  9. #84
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Back open and look at the mirror in the locket. Fumble around for your knife.
    You've kept your knife in your right hand ever since you took it from the rack. The locket has slipped from your fingers in the fall and is a few feet away.

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    >Gently move her foot away and hold the locket in her hands.
    The fingers tighten and despite your struggles you are unable to move your foot away. They began to move up to your ankles, calves, knees, seeming to drag themselves along the floor, like Mrs. Semeraro when she has fallen from her wheelchair.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  10. #85
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    >"This is the only conceivable situation in which I'd wish you were Mrs. Semeraro."

    >"Dogmask? Be a chum?"
    The words leave your mouth more half-heartedly than before. You're not even sure Dogmask can hear you. He definitely can't see you; there are several walls separating the two of you now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Killing_Time View Post
    > If at all possible, retrieve locket and look at this person/creature. Did the death rattle at all give away any identifiers? Sex, age, tone?
    You lash out to your left. Your assailant seems to sense your intention; you feel it scrabbling for your left arm, holding you back. You stretch as hard as you can and barely manage to snatch the end of the locket's chain in your fingertips, but your left arm is now pinned to the floor and you cannot angle the locket for a look at its face.

    The death rattle made your assailant seem very old, as death rattles are wont to do. You're not sure you could easily determine its sex though; the sound was percussive and difficult to identify with pitch.

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    Repeat what Janus Dog said to Linda earlier while holding the locket.
    You close your eyes and try to recall the exact syllables in detail; they keep slipping away when you think you've almost got them. Your assailant's cold fingers brush your throat and begin to tighten. In a panic, the phrase comes back to you in perfect clarity and you blurt out "Nysh-Kheleth" in a hoarse whisper.

    A series of lines appear on the surface of the locket's chalcedony, like hidden veins of silver that suddenly catch the moonlight and shine--thirteen lines converging to form a tridecagram, a thirteen-pointed star.

    A heartbeat later and you see your attacker--a flayed creature, like the other, but this one drags itself with thick and ropy arms while dangling useless legs behind it. While the other creature hovered, like a marionette dangled above a stage, this one flails about like a marionette with most of its strings cut. There are deep gashes in the backs of its calves, gashes that sliced cleanly through the plastic wrapping and the muscle tissue alike, but the gashes don't seem to be bleeding.

    What will you do?
    Last edited by Varthonai; August 13th, 2014 at 01:22 PM.

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  11. #86
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killing_Time View Post
    > If your knife arm is free cut at its elbow pit to make it release its grip around your throat.
    You raise the knife and bring it down hard like a cleaver. There is a squelch as the blade slices through the plasticky covering and into the meat of the arm. This knife is designed for slicing, though, not cleaving--the cut you make is fairly shallow.

    Still, it does what you set out to do. The fingers loosen and your neck is free. The creature gurgles again, its mouth open in what you imagine a drowning man's attempt to scream would look and sound like.

    Something happened to the knife, though--the small part of the blade that sank into the creature's flesh is gone, leaving only a wide and empty arc of dulled metal. Like something took a bite out of the edge.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Stick your hand/knife into one of its gashes. Maybe it's sensitive to interior pain.
    You stick your knife into the fresh gash you made in its elbow, the only one that you can currently reach. The point drives in deep. You ram it in so hard that you knock the elbow against the floor; for a second you think you may have even driven the blade clean through to the other side and pinned the arm in place, but then the knife point breaks off where it met the creature's skin. As before, the part of the knife that sank into the creature's body is gone. What you have left is about four inches of blade edge jutting out of the handle, and no point.

    The creature's left forearm looks useless now, limp and only connected to the elbow by ragged scraps of red muscle, white cartilage, and... something you're not sure about, thick and dark and lustrous, something that you can see only dimly but which looks like it might be a bone, though blackened as if by charring. The creature gargles at you again and uses its right arm to push away from you, hard, knocking your head against the floor in the process.

    You are dazed for a second, your vision filling with spots, but you recover quickly enough to see the creature grab the edge of your room's doorframe and climb up with improbable quickness--it pinches the frame between its knees and then pulls up with its one good arm. In less than a second it has almost made it to the ceiling.

    Then, suddenly, the tridecagram on your locket fades, and the creature fades with it. You continue to hear it scampering into the distance of the hallway.

    The creature never seemed to be bleeding, but your knife arm feels like it became wet in that encounter.

    What will you do?

    [apologies for update delay, DQ was down for me last night when I tried to post]
    Last edited by Varthonai; September 8th, 2014 at 11:08 PM.

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  12. #87
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Acquire your locket again, this time tying the chain around your wrist so that you have quick access to it.
    You do so, putting the locket in the center of your palm and wrapping the chain around your fingers and wrist to secure it in place. No trace of the star symbol remains.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Find Dogmask and thank him for the magic words.
    You are pretty sure it would be a bad idea to wander out in the hallway again just to give Dogmask a thank you. Since your attacker disappeared as it departed, it would seem that the monsters are invisible again, and the locket mirror can only reveal a small portion of space at a time even if you keep it handy. Your broken knife is barely useful anymore, so if you walk into a trap like that again you will probably be completely helpless. If you're going to head out again, you're going to need a good plan.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Does your apartment building by any chance have an emergency generator?
    Luca Semeraro has been bugging the condo association about generators for months, but they've always argued that the noise and the smell and the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning are too unpleasant to deal with in a multi-family dwelling space. Most of the other residents have backed them up on that, so the policy isn't likely to change anytime soon.

    A generator could always be kept in the building illicitly, of course. But if that is the case, you don't know where it's hidden.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  13. #88
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Does the phrase work more than once?
    "Nysh-Kheleth," you whisper at the locket. Nothing happens.

    You wonder about that star, though, and the chalcedony amulet in Professor North's database. Is there a connection? You wouldn't be surprised by any coincidence at this point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Killing_Time View Post
    > Use the mirror in the locket to look around corners, go to Derek's room again and search for clues. Try to figure out how and what in Derek's possession could possibly be of importance to these creatures.
    Whatever it is, it's not really "in Derek's possession" anymore. Anything he chose to leave behind is pretty much your parents' now.

    You take a deep breath and overcome your aversion to heading into the hall without a well-thought-out plan. You see nothing in the mirror as you head up, and nothing again as you turn east. When you eventually get to Derek's room after your cautious crawl through the corridors, you find that it is not as you left it; everything is neatly in place again.

    You had a vague memory that Derek had left a few personal things in this room--a desk lamp covered in stickers from a bunch of cheesy toy franchises, an old plush horse, a red pencil case, that kind of stuff--but you don't see them. You're not positive about that memory though. Maybe your parents put them in storage or gave them away. It'd make sense; you're pretty sure the Derek flavor of those items would have clashed harshly with the new aesthetic your parents are trying to give to the room.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  14. #89
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    Assuming that the locket serves as an Elvish sword, Linda is well protected, and no one attempts to strangle her without our permission.
    This locket is no replacement for an Elvish sword that glows in the presence of orcs, at least not yet--judging from the response to the phrase "Nysh-Kheleth", the star, and the occasional glimpses of the creatures in your normal vision, it may have much more potential protective power than what you've currently managed to unlock. But in its present state the only consistent protection it grants is the ability to see the creatures inside of its mirror, if they happen to be standing/floating/crawling in a place where the tiny mirror will catch their reflection. If their reflection is even slightly out of the mirror's frame you will never know they are there.

    Also, you'd prefer not to think of these creatures as akin to orcs. Orcs are cool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    I say Linda must hunt the creature while it is weak and scared. Janus Dog must have a reaction if the creature that attacked you earlier is over there.
    Perhaps. But only if Dogmask can see them too, and only if it chooses to flee in the direction of the living room.

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    The broken knife is still sorta useful, and I feel merciless, so I recommend taking another knife from the kitchen, if available.
    You cautiously head back into the kitchen, still checking around corners with the mirror. You encounter no creatures and successfully retrieve your family's only other large chef's knife. You only have two hands, and you need your left hand to hold the locket, so you drop the remains of the broken knife on the counter near the knife rack.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  15. #90
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    Linda> Forget about your future victim. Exit your family's apartment and visit Mrs. Semeraro's (if she doesn't answer the door, use your key) and proceed to tell her all these strange events that have been going on lately.
    You turn west and are heading for the entrance to the foyer when you again see a large silhouette move across the image in the mirror. You think that it moved east through the foyer door, as you were planning to--it must have been in the kitchen with you until just now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    These monsters just ransacked a room.
    In their defense, they apparently put everything back when they were done, some weird part of your brain mouths off again.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  16. #91
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    Linda > quickly grab the kitchen knfe and head out of the apartment.
    You already have the knife.

    You move to the foyer door and check around it with the locket. With more careful study of the area you see that there is another of the creatures there; this one neither hovers nor crawls, but walks in an erratic, twitchy manner. It has opened the foyer wardrobe and appears to be searching the contents. Its plastic-wrapped body blocks the condo door. You cannot leave without pushing past it.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  17. #92
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    Linda > Man up and face this creature, let's hope it's like the first one.
    "Face" it how? Do you want to initiate combat with it, order it to move, or just stand in front of it assertively?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > What would happen if you shoved the locket into a wound in the creature?
    You'll have to make a wound or find the already-wounded one to find out. Shoving it in might also be a difficult task--you require the mirror to locate the wound visually, but the mirror would be unavailable to aim during the process of shoving it in. You imagine you'd end up trying to shove it through intact skin nearby, unless you could find the precise location of the wound by touch. And all the while the creature would be struggling, and probably melting your fingers with whatever nasty stuff inside of them destroyed the knife blades.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  18. #93
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    Pick the knife that isnt eaten up by acid/blood/plasma and then exit the building. Be alert in case creature No. 4 is up to something.
    You keep an eye on the creature with the locket as you push past it toward the condo's main entrance.

    No sooner has your skin touched its skinless meat than you feel it shifting, see its head turn in the locket mirror, hear its breathing accelerate. Fingers clamp around your left wrist, which holds the locket. The mirror's perspective changes as your wrist is wrenched forward--you can no longer see the creature within its frame, as it is now pointed toward the foyer ceiling.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  19. #94
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Cut its head off with one slice, guessing where its neck should be. Maybe you can save some of this knife by not getting the whole thing eaten.
    You slash with your knife hand at where you guess its neck should be. The blade collides with something fairly yielding and sinks in, but only about half an inch.

    You guess that was to be expected. Medieval executioners used enormous axes or swords to behead people, and sometimes even they managed to fuck it up if they weren't exceptionally skilled; did you really think you were going to be able to behead something with a ten-inch chef's knife?

    Your left arm is wrenched higher--Jesus Christ, this thing is strong--and you begin to feel a peculiar sensation that takes you back, back to a memory of some summers ago when Emma taught you how to lift fingerprints. First, you'd make an inverted model of the print ridges by pulling a sheet of latex down over your fingertips, which is kind of what this present sensation feels like. Then...

    ...it occurs to you that this sensation probably means that the creature is now trying to stuff your fingers into its plastic-wrapped mouth.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  20. #95
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    Nyes Kaleth that bitch. That, or punch it in the jaw.
    "Nysh-Kheleth," you murmur, but nothing happens; seems like that was a one-shot deal. But you managed to unlock hidden potential within the chalcedony and see the monsters without the aid of the mirror twice before you'd ever heard that phrase. There must be some common factor you've overlooked.

    You release the knife to make a fist, and then you slam it hard into the air just above your trapped left hand. You strike something hard and brittle; you think you've fractured something, but your knuckles hurt and you're not totally sure whether the fracture in question was in the creature's face or in your hand.

    The dropped knife clinks uselessly against the foyer floor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > "Dogmask? You have a stabby thing, right? Want to help me out?"
    As you start to cry out for aid, the membrane stretching over your left hand tears and splits over your fingernails, distracting you. Oily, lukewarm fluids spurt over your skin. The creature mewls in an uncomfortable manner that you can't positively identify as pleasure or pain. You feel a soft wet tongue caressing your digits, and then hard round teeth mouthing them gently.

    You protectively curl the fingers of your left hand into a fist, pulling them slightly out of reach, but you think you feel your pinky finger seized in the teeth before it can be retracted--blunt teeth come down with incredible bite force, splitting the skin and the muscle and the cartilage of the first joint with a squish and a crunch, spurting more fluid, swallowing...

    ...wait, no, that's silly. You haven't had much of a left pinky finger in years. Denise broke it badly when you were in elementary school, remember? After a discussion with the doctors and your parents, you agreed that a partial amputation just above the first joint would be better than the alternative of having the joint completely fused. The creature could only have been biting the empty space in front of a finger stump.

    The chain of the locket feels slightly looser, and it droops slightly across your palm as the stone's weight pulls the chain taut.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  21. #96
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    Linda> Pull your fist down the creature's throat while grabbing the locket in said fist.
    You ball your fingers and shove them forward into the space in the air where the creature's mouth was a second ago. Your fist doesn't fit between its teeth, though, especially not with the locket clenched inside. The creature bites again and rips a whole lot of skin off your knuckles, pinching and peeling in ragged chunks. The surface of your fist is left red and raw.

    A second later you feel the creature bend down and grab one of your feet. Holding you by a wrist and an ankle, it lifts you off the ground, and then it throws you like a front-seat passenger in a crashing car without a seatbelt. You black out for a second.

    When you come to you're still pretty dizzy. Shades of green and red play at the edges of your vision. You are nonetheless lucid enough to realize that during your flight you struck the ajar door of your mom's office, pushed it the rest of the way open, and landed in a pile of old newspapers. You flew nearly twenty feet.

    You hear the sound of skinless feet squelching inside their wrappings against the foyer floor, headed in your general direction. The rhythm of the squelches sounds rather hurried.

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    EDIT: According to my research, there has to be a tridecagram in the locket's mirror in order to grant your naked eyes vision of these creatures/ghosts.

    The first time, it was thanks to a browser's image on your laptop that reflected on the chalcedony. The second, you pronounced "Nysh-Kheleth", which made appear the tridecagram in the mirror.
    As you recall, the tridecagram appeared on the exterior of the locket, not in the mirror. Still, the fact that it was on the locket at all makes this hypothesis nearly sound.

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    In the first encounter with Puppet, once you let go of the chalcedony, the creature vanished. In the second one, you never had physical contact with it, but you could see the creature nonetheless.
    You are fairly sure that you did in fact have physical contact with the locket during your second sighting of the floating flaypuppet. You had just come back from your interaction with Dogmask when it happened, and you had been using the locket to observe him.

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    Assuming you manage to escape from this creature, attempt to draw the tridecagram on one of your palms.
    Assuming you manage to escape from this creature, you think this is an excellent idea.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  22. #97
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    Sorry, by "in the second one" I meant the crawling creature.
    Technically you were in contact with the locket then, too--you were holding it by the chain.

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    Linda> Think really hard on tridecagrams.
    Nothing appears to happen. The sound of squelching footsteps grows closer.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  23. #98
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killing_Time View Post
    > First things first, let's assume we can buy some time by closing and blocking/locking the door
    You stagger up from where you landed and limp forward, swatting the door and swinging it closed. Then you seize the latchbolt handle and twist it into the locked position.

    There is a muffled thump a moment later as the creature apparently walks into the locked door. There is a scratching and rubbing, like it is confused by the door's presence. You're pretty sure that it could break down the door in a second if it tried. But does it know how to distinguish a closed door from a solid wall? you wonder. Since they seem blind... maybe it assumes I turned right and went down the other hallway.

    After a tense minute, the investigative sounds stop, and the footsteps begin to recede in the direction from whence they came.

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    Alright. Ummmm, Linda> find a pencil or something and draw a tridecagram on a newspaper's sheet and put it in front of the locket.
    Scanning the room with your flashlight, it's not hard to find a pencil in your mom's office; they are strewn about the place like bodies in a WWI no man's land. You use a thick empty envelope from the paper recycling bin as a straightedge and begin attempting to draw the tridecagram.

    It is a lot harder than it looks.


    Your second attempt goes a little better initially, but when you get near the end you realize that while your strokes were more consistent in length and angle, they were too narrow.


    You recall from Professor North's database that the angles of a tridecagram need to be about 13.85. You think your dad has a protractor in his tool chest, but you're not sure it's worth the risk to make the symbol perfect. Maybe you should just use one of your first attempts as-is and see how it works.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Also, didn't Dogmask have a glass blade on his glaive?

    > Presumably Dogmask has a weapon that is effective for dealing with creatures like the flaypuppet

    > WHICH WOULD MEAN

    > We need a sharp piece of glass.
    This is another sound hypothesis, though the only glass in this room that you can see is in the lightbulbs. That being said, whatever the material of Dogmask's blade may have been, it was highly reflective, not transparent--if it was glass, it was specifically mirrored glass.

    What will you do?
    Last edited by Varthonai; September 16th, 2014 at 08:17 PM.

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  24. #99
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    > Look out through the windows. What do you see?
    There are no windows in your mom's office--that's actually why she picked this room. She doesn't care for harsh sunlight when she's working, and she doesn't like being bothered to get up and close blinds. There is only the southern door that leads to the foyer (locked now) and the eastern door that leads to your dad's office, the vegetable garden, and the living room.

    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

  25. #100
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanism View Post
    Linda > Sneak in your father's office through the eastern door and grab the protractor so you can properly draw a tridecagram.
    [reposting map for convenience again]


    You duck out of the eastern door and up into the miscellany of ceramic pots, colorful plastic buckets, and hanging baskets that make up your dad's vegetable garden. Out-of-season plants are bare green or flowering, but vines of ripe cherry tomatoes hang dark and heavy alongside the deep maroons and crimsons of the eggplants and radicchio. You spy the goblin statuette that you mentioned not long ago, begoggled and grinning in a tiny grove of red bell peppers. The sharp chisel with which you carved him lies on a bench nearby, moonlight gleaming brightly off its polished blade.

    You don't have time to stay and admire your work or your father's, though, so you duck left into your father's office. There is much less paper and fewer stray writing implements in here than there was in your mother's office; only one solitary pencil lies on the surface of his desk, freshly sharpened and perfectly perpendicular to the desk's edges. You open the toolbox and find a claw hammer, two screwdrivers (a flathead and a Phillips), a tape measure, two wrenches (a crescent and a socket wrench), two pairs of pliers (vise grip and needle-nose), a 12-volt battery-powered electric drill, a crosscut hand saw, a laser-line level, an X-Acto utility knife, and several packages of screws, nails, nuts, and bolts. You have to go through it several times before you finally find the buried protractor you've been seeking, down on the bottom tier underneath everything else.

    You get to work drawing a series of lines of equal length, each at precisely 13.85 from the previous one in a star pattern. It still doesn't come out quite perfect--you have to fudge the last line a little to make it close properly. You guess rounding to 13.85 was a little sloppy, but you can't get any more decimal places on 180/13 by doing math in your head. It's still pretty close though.


    What will you do?

    part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

Similar Threads

  1. Ride Like The Wind
    By Oscar in forum News
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: September 4th, 2010, 03:29 AM
  2. Ride like the wind on NG
    By Oscar in forum News
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: August 25th, 2010, 04:04 PM
  3. Gone With the wind...
    By Silitor in forum General Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: July 6th, 2009, 03:02 PM
  4. Big world
    By Kenneth in forum General Lounge
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: December 13th, 2008, 03:20 PM
  5. [Flash]Wind tunnel - Miccool
    By Miccool in forum Showoff
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: April 9th, 2007, 09:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •