Register

Default Saturday Slow Jam Nostalgia

Nostalgia never goes out of style, does it? Certainly not for me, I am absolutely infatuated with history and reminiscence just as much as I am tearing it apart, pointing at it and judging its stupidity with a smug and superior shit-faced grin. But if there's one thing I just never seem to get enough of, it's theme songs.

Help me, I love theme songs. A good theme song can cement an otherwise only decent show into pop culture history, and a bad theme song is the first nail in the coffin for me when watching a cartoon. I struggle to get over an intro I feel personally embarrassed to have witnessed, even if the show is otherwise good fun. An example is the 2012 edition of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles which is just... ugh. White people rapping.

Anyway. Recently a Youtube channel called ScottBradleeLovesYa (which is a very good channel, I recommend it) started recreating a few old classic theme songs with a slow R&B theme, and I have to say I'm enjoying myself immensely so far. Enough that I figured I had to share it.

Pokémon

Ducktales

Rescue Rangers

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

They're quite something. Obviously, if you don't like blues, you probably won't like what they've done with some of these songs, but they're still worth a shot I would say. Even better is that they're released weekly, on Saturday, so hopefully they'll make many more. Tell me what you think.

I'd also love to hear if any of you have any favourite covers on theme songs.

Spoiler for obvious pick is obvious:

I dig daddio.

Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar

any covers been made of the greatest theme/intro of all 90's cartoons ever, my good man?

not even sure this thing could avoid being sullied by adaptation, but i'd gladly high-five whatever rad person is willing to prove me wrong

EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEME

god damn, that's pretty fucking cool. I dunno how to top EXTREME dinosaurs... but I can try

shut up yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Varthonai View Post
    any covers been made of the greatest theme/intro of all 90's cartoons ever, my good man?
    Haha, I've never even heard of Extreme Dinosaurs. Seems like something 90's Kid would make.

DQ 1337 Member

Quote Originally Posted by Victory View Post
    Haha, I've never even heard of Extreme Dinosaurs. Seems like something 90's Kid would make.

Something a 90's kid would make is something a 90's kid would watch.

I for one loved that show (I was born in 1996, so I don't really qualify as a "90's kid" but I still watched it nonetheless).

Well I was talking about The 90's kid, but I'm sure you can join the club. Anyone else got a submission? I was rather partial to Darkwing Duck as a kid, but I've never found a particularly good cover of it.

I see your Extreme Dinosaurs and raise you Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

Original Theme.

The best guitar cover I could find. Not as good as the original, but pretty decent.

And for the hell of it, this piano cover.

Man that guy is boss.

Well I was talking about The 90's kid, but I'm sure you can join the club. Anyone else got a submission? I was rather partial to Darkwing Duck as a kid, but I've never found a particularly good cover of it.
    This cover isn't half bad.

Also, here's a Spanish cover of it by the same guy.

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkCat View Post
    Man that guy is boss.
    He is.
    Oh, and he also did this nice little medley of horror tunes. I particularly like the Walking Dead opening and Halloween theme covers.

I've heard those, but "not half bad" isn't good enough for a feature

Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sirrin Nacht View Post
    I see your Extreme Dinosaurs and raise you Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.
    Very good call, but MMPR is live action. I did say "greatest theme/intro of all 90's cartoons ever".

New slow jam was just released.

I have to say I'm not terribly fond of this singer, her voice is a bit too shrill for my taste, but the cover's decent I guess. Not much you can do with the theme to Gummi Bears.

I know this is a very dead thread at this point, but I can assure you that I have a good reason for reviving it.
    You see, a friend of mine introduced me to the Youtube channel of this Pellek fellow the other day during a discussion of our favorite children's shows. Anyway, this Pellek person specializes in covers of all sorts of songs, and lo and behold, one of them is the theme song for 'Darkwing Duck'. And you know what? It turned out to be a pretty darn good rendition of it.

So here you go Vic. Perhaps this is the cover you've been looking for.

And here's the original Pellek video the audio in the video above is excerpted from.
    'All my followers shouldn't accept my teachers out of faith, but out of constant investigation.'

I'm a level 22 Buttbuttin Killing_Time's Avatar

I'll allow it, this was an impressive cover! You could've made a separate thread just for future reference.