Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    DQ 1337 Member leapoffaith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Isolation
    Posts
    1,776

    Default Spoken word poem about Tourettes

    As many of you may know, I have Tourette Syndrome. I wrote this poem a few months ago, and recorded/posted it in hopes that some other young person, perhaps newly diagnosed with TS, might see it and realize that the disorder is more than just some punchline. Growing up with this disorder in an environment that didn't understand it was hard, but I've persevered and learned and I hope I can help make it easier for somebody else.


  2. #2
    DQ 1337 Member Sirrin Nacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    If you need to know I'll tell you.
    Posts
    1,432

    Default

    Bravo!
    For the poem you wrote and you as a person.

  3. #3
    i am 12 and wat is this? Diplomacy Domination Victory Aval's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,846

    Default

    daaaaaaaaaaaamn Son.

    that's a really Good Grasp Of language and sound aesthetics going on. poetry's A form i've only really recently Started To really get but this gave me New things to Appreciate and look for.

    really dig the Way the Subject Matter And Technique have such a strong association too. makes the Whole thing feel Really Neatly conceptually Self-Contained in a way i Find appealing and rare In poetry.

  4. #4
    DQ 1337 Member Paperback Writer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The United States of Antarctica
    Posts
    2,569

    Default

    breddy gud

    One question...

    Did they really push you down a flight of stairs?

  5. #5
    DQ 1337 Member leapoffaith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Isolation
    Posts
    1,776

    Default

    Thanks so much you guys!

    and yeah- it's one of my most distinct memories of bullying from middle school. I'm from New York and my school was a 5th floor walk up.
    Heavy kid + heavy backpack + mean people = 5th to 4th floor fall.
    I'm honestly lucky I didn't hit my head.

  6. #6
    DQ Senior Member NoxArcana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The current whereabouts are unknown...
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Dude, amazing. And I can actually relate to the poem myself, not from the syndrome, but from the bullying and how you were able to overcome and rise higher than those who sank so low. It's really inspiring and I'll be honest when I say this reached my core like very few other poems have done. Thanks for sharing your awesome poetry ^_^

  7. #7
    DQ 1337 Member Ducky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    BLOOD
    Posts
    1,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leapoffaith View Post
    Thanks so much you guys!

    and yeah- it's one of my most distinct memories of bullying from middle school. I'm from New York and my school was a 5th floor walk up.
    Heavy kid + heavy backpack + mean people = 5th to 4th floor fall.
    I'm honestly lucky I didn't hit my head.
    Wow. That's legitimately really fucked up. That's like

    As someone who grew up being bullied for various reasons, I have to say I'm not really used to people doing actual dangerous violent things in the spirit of antagonism.

    Wow

  8. #8
    DQ 1337 Member leapoffaith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Isolation
    Posts
    1,776

    Default

    New York City public school. A number of the kids who picked on me are in gangs now.

    EDIT: But many others are good, well adjusted people. We all have our crappy phases!

  9. #9
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aval View Post
    daaaaaaaaaaaamn Son.

    that's a really Good Grasp Of language and sound aesthetics going on. poetry's A form i've only really recently Started To really get but this gave me New things to Appreciate and look for.

    really dig the Way the Subject Matter And Technique have such a strong association too. makes the Whole thing feel Really Neatly conceptually Self-Contained in a way i Find appealing and rare In poetry.
    aye, agreed! awesome acting, amigo

    also, admirable and adept alliteration

    accomplishments aplenty

  10. #10
    DQ 1337 Member Paperback Writer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The United States of Antarctica
    Posts
    2,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leapoffaith View Post
    Thanks so much you guys!

    and yeah- it's one of my most distinct memories of bullying from middle school. I'm from New York and my school was a 5th floor walk up.
    Heavy kid + heavy backpack + mean people = 5th to 4th floor fall.
    I'm honestly lucky I didn't hit my head.
    Shit, violence like that never happened where I come from. Unprovoked violence anyway - they had to find an excuse to do it like you called him a cunt 8 minutes ago or something in front of everyone but never just do it because this guy had one defect.

    Was it unprovoked? Anyway, solid poe, bro.

  11. #11
    Cynical Puppeteer Victory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,737

    Default

    This reminds me very much of "This is my voice." It has a similar kind of escalating sense of energy and passion that's so gripping when it comes to this kind of recital. It's not just that the poem is written brilliantly, it's that your performance is so genuine and sincere, and worthy of its own fair share of praise and admiration just for that.

    So good job, man.

    Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    Shit, violence like that never happened where I come from..
    I'm pretty sure you just didn't notice it. Stuff that like tends to happen everywhere where large groups of children gather. It's unfortunate for those who has to suffer through it, since it also doesn't get that much attention.
    Last edited by Victory; April 4th, 2014 at 12:48 PM.

  12. #12
    DQ 1337 Member leapoffaith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Isolation
    Posts
    1,776

    Default

    I mean I was overweight, had glasses, made weird noises, and moved my body in weird ways. Developmentally speaking that put me WAY far behind on the whole "being social" thing. I was never mean or cruel or malicious towards people- they just decided that my difference made me less than them and therefore worthy of mockery and bullying.

    Compared to the beat downs some of the kids from rougher neighborhoods had seen, a tumble down the stairs probably seemed like a mild prank. For a middle class nerd from downtown Manhattan- not so much.

  13. #13
    DQ 1337 Member Paperback Writer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The United States of Antarctica
    Posts
    2,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victory
    I'm pretty sure you just didn't notice it. Stuff that like tends to happen everywhere where large groups of children gather. It's unfortunate for those who has to suffer through it, since it also doesn't get that much attention.
    I think difference of culture applies since we're more collective and reserved. Most of our bullies if any would tell the bullied to back off or go away when they're coming in the victim's personal space, plus they actually give verbal cues before doing random acts of violence.

    I don't know if leap's story involved any escalation though.

    I was picked on too, once. Heavily too and I associated with those who were bullied as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by leapoffaith
    I mean I was overweight, had glasses, made weird noises, and moved my body in weird ways. Developmentally speaking that put me WAY far behind on the whole "being social" thing.
    In where I come from we'd never comprehend violently attacking someone like that. Course we'd comprehend teasing and the occasional confrontational attitude and hostility but shit, dawg. We wouldn't just straight up toss you down the stairs because "we felt like it" that day.

    But you can be thankful for them for giving you inspiration though lol
    Last edited by Paperback Writer; April 4th, 2014 at 01:41 PM.

  14. #14
    DQ 1337 Member leapoffaith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Isolation
    Posts
    1,776

    Default

    I'm sure I did SOMETHING that they felt was provocation. Like I said- I wasn't good at being social and had impulse issues. Never mean though.

    They didn't lift me up and fling me or anything. We were on the stairs and he gave me dead arm like he always did and the hit knocked me down the stairs. What really hurt, though, was that when they were sure I was still moving they went "OH SHIT!" and laughed and waited until I got back up to the top of the stairs and said "Yo man you wiped the fuck out good!" and then just went on like nothing had happened. Could have been accidental, but if it was accidental they went out of their way not to express that.

    but hey I'm fine now, so yeah- I'll just write poetry about it

  15. #15
    Cynical Puppeteer Victory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    I think difference of culture applies since we're more collective and reserved. Most of our bullies if any would tell the bullied to back off or go away when they're coming in the victim's personal space, plus they actually give verbal cues before doing random acts of violence.
    I don't think your experience covers a very wide range of the behaviours that constitute a global norm. Even the most reserved cultures - like Japan - have sweeping national problems with bullying and abuse, and this doesn't stop with school; it continues all throughout life. Violence is always the most shocking example, but it's not really all that uncommon, even if you've never personally witnessed it.

    I don't mean to start a conversation about this, I just wanted to begrudgingly inform you that stories like Leap's aren't as rare as we might like them to be.

  16. #16
    DQ Senior Member nino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Leap, you are an exelent speecher! You posess an energy when you speech which few others do. Keep it up man : D

  17. #17
    Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victory View Post
    I don't think your experience covers a very wide range of the behaviours that constitute a global norm. Even the most reserved cultures - like Japan - have sweeping national problems with bullying and abuse, and this doesn't stop with school; it continues all throughout life. Violence is always the most shocking example, but it's not really all that uncommon, even if you've never personally witnessed it.

    I don't mean to start a conversation about this, I just wanted to begrudgingly inform you that stories like Leap's aren't as rare as we might like them to be.
    True dat, a culture of nonviolence is usually just a culture that doesn't like to talk about violence. Dem humans are meaniebutts universally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    but never just do it because this guy had one defect.
    (dude i think part of the point of the poem is that Tourette's isn't really a "defect", it's just neurodiversity?)

    (not to put words in LOF's mouth or anything, shut me up if i'm wrong bro)

  18. #18
    DQ 1337 Member Paperback Writer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The United States of Antarctica
    Posts
    2,569

    Default

    To them it was a defect. I was saying about it from their perspective.

  19. #19
    DQ 1337 Member leapoffaith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Isolation
    Posts
    1,776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Varthonai View Post
    (dude i think part of the point of the poem is that Tourette's isn't really a "defect", it's just neurodiversity?)

    (not to put words in LOF's mouth or anything, shut me up if i'm wrong bro)
    That seems about right! I mean it definitely sucks sometimes, but it seems like part of the reason I'm good with language stems from the way I hear and "feel" words due to TS.

  20. #20
    Ex-staff member Polo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leapoffaith View Post
    it seems like part of the reason I'm good with language stems from the way I hear and "feel" words due to TS.
    Is this the case with most people who have Tourettes? I'm personally of the opinion that the reason such things exist and continue to exist is because of less-than-obvious evolutionary advantages. If this is the case for most people with Tourettes, it makes sense that it would continue to exist in a species so reliant on communication through verbal language.

  21. #21
    DQ 1337 Member leapoffaith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Isolation
    Posts
    1,776

    Default

    There is definitely some connection there. Many people with TS (and other associated disorders) express themselves artistically, and as a result the pent up... whatever it is... comes out looking or sounding pretty damn cool.

    And yeah- in a world where ladies go for a poet, this (especially now that I've learned to control it) has turned out to be pretty cool :p

    Also for expressing yourself when normal conversation is just too difficult- check out this dude with a more severe form of TS-
    Last edited by leapoffaith; April 6th, 2014 at 03:21 AM.

  22. #22
    Cynical Puppeteer Victory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leapoffaith View Post
    There is definitely some connection there. Many people with TS (and other associated disorders) express themselves artistically, and as a result the pent up... whatever it is... comes out looking or sounding pretty damn cool.
    As much as I don't want to be a dick, this is reminding me a lot about the savant argument, where people with disabilities necessarily become good at something else as a side effect. Which is, sad to say, entirely fallacious. There are savants, there are disabled people who benefit somewhat from their disabilities, or neurodiversity as the case may be, but it's all on a case to case basis. It has more to do with talent - which is a part of mind that we don't really seem to understand that well to begin with - more than the condition most of the time.

    I do think it's really cool when people take their circumstance and make it into art, though.

  23. #23
    DQ 1337 Member leapoffaith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Isolation
    Posts
    1,776

    Default

    Of course- I edited that post like 6 times because I wasn't sure how to phrase that

    Talent is nothing without practice. I've gotten better over time just like everybody else- it just happens that my personal style is influenced by my unique interpretation of language as a result of the TS.

  24. #24
    DQ 1337 Member leapoffaith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Isolation
    Posts
    1,776

    Default

    Sorry to double post, but UPDATE:

    My poem was just featured on UpWorthy!!!
    Check it out, you guys! I'm clickbait! WOOOH! http://u.pw/1mZxz2n

  25. #25
    New member Etr1us1029's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Land of Enchantment
    Posts
    99

    Default

    That's awesome bro! Congrats!

Similar Threads

  1. Tourettes
    By leapoffaith in forum Help and Requests
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: August 28th, 2011, 03:58 AM
  2. [WRITING] my first poem
    By nakina in forum Showoff
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: March 10th, 2011, 07:37 AM
  3. [WRITING] An emo poem
    By NoobCannon990 in forum Showoff
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: November 30th, 2009, 10:41 PM
  4. [POEM] Still Waiting
    By Call_Me_Vampire in forum Showoff
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: April 12th, 2009, 06:33 AM
  5. A Poem
    By kingmiami in forum Showoff
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: December 8th, 2008, 11:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •