Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Happy 8th Birthday DQ!

Oh boy!

A few days late but still, it's DQ's 8th (da fukk is it that much!?) birthday!
    I feel old now, hope you're happy.

A quick google search will remind us of the classic DQ cake. We're all sharing!

Let's be nostalgic and talk about about your DQ life span! How did you end up here? Why do you stick around? Is the lack of Castle devastating or refreshing? How old do you think DQ will eventually be?

Good to see this place is standing.
    See you around folks!
    -Oscar

Woooooooah, it's that much already? This is like the 3rd DQ Day I experienced already. This site is going good, I hope it'll get to celebrate it's first decade of it's existence.

So nostalgia talk, is it? Well...

First I discovered Castle on Stickpage and needless to say I became a fan after only seeing Castle II, which I discovered in 2006, I think. Basically when it was released, if I remember correctly. So after Castle III was released, I was already a fan, showing the animation to friends in school and for years I eagerly awaited for release of Castle IV as I thought it would be called. So imagine my happiness when some day in beginning of 2010 I went to Stickpage where I saw Castle Rep Part A! It was like a New Year and my birthday combined. I saw link to DeletionQuality.net and I think at that time it was in it's old dark form too. I went there, but I didn't register, don't remember why. It was probably for the best.

So I never went to DQ again till somewhere in beginning of 2011. After watching all Castle episodes, I was thinking "Well if there is Castle II, there must be Castle I too! But I can't find it on Stickpage." So I googled it with "oscar johansson castle 1" and VOILA I found it here. I forgot about DQ in the passing time already, but now I kinda discovered it again. I was surprised by it's new look and every now and then I went here to lurk a bit. Then in May I decided to register and man, I did not regret it.

At beginning, I was influenced by all that sarcasm and cynicism so in order to blend it I started to act like a douche. After a few infractions, I got better, but I'm sure some of you can remember that didn't stop my EPIC ULTRA FAST SPAMFEST POSTING™. In like 10 months or something I already reached 1000 posts and I was so proud of my e-penis back then. I think I started posting far less later at the end of summer 2012.

In February this year I started my self-exile and was off DQ for 2 months. It was because I got butthurt, I think, also I was under much stress at that time because of my family and school and I was quite depressed, so I got pissed of rather easily. I've been on this site for every day now since then, but I'm not posting as much as I used to, mainly because overall activity has died down in last year. But even if it's not as active as it used to be, I still like coming back here because I like you guys (goddamnit that was so gay right now).

I stuck around because you guys are really awesome. There is always a good discussion here and people form a small, but strong and tight community that holds together, and I must say I'm rather proud to be a part of it, even though I'm more or less somewhere at the rear. I got friends here and I enjoyed talking with them. This reminds me how I still miss INTY. He was such a good chap. Damn it, now my I have to punch a wall to man up.

As for Castle content, I must say I am not surprised it's lacking. Oscar has grown up after all, has a job and far less time now, but it's good to see he still works on the stuff and doesn't let it go. I think it will stay a part of him for years to come. As for how much DQ will last, I can't really say. If it will reach it's first decade, I will be happy and it will last as long as people will continue to come here. But even if site closes down, people will stay in contact, because that's how close they are. And I like that.

So for ending, I would just like to say thank you Oscar, for Castle and bringing us all together. Thank you all other members, those who are still active or are long gone, who helped and are helping to keep this joint running. Thank you all for kind words when others need them, for listening, for just being here, you are all fuckin awesome. I am going through some very, very hard times right now, so since Becca has helped me by talking with me over Skype and just listening to me, I would like to use this chance to publicly thank her, because without her helpful advices and kind words I'd be in a far worse state than I am now.
    Also thank you Mattbot and Wadling for the lulz and that amazing sweet comic, please don't kill me off anytime soon.
    Thank you Vic for being rational and patient with my bullshit, you're awesome dude.
    Also thank you Zumi (wherever you are and I hope you're okay) for helping me out back in March with my depression.
    Thank you Madder, Polo and Aval for being awesome smartasses and making me laugh.
    Thank you all others who are here and make this site awesome.

Sooooo... that will be all. Stay classy, folks.
    Last edited by Shinoi; December 9th, 2013 at 04:43 PM.

Awesome post Shinoi, glad to have you around

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar
    Let's be nostalgic and talk about about your DQ life span!
    ._.'

Um, I joined DQ right after I found out about Castle last year. I was a noob and in the 8th grade, so... yeah. That didn't start out well.

Since I was a complete noob when I first found out about Castle, I kept my eye on the Upcoming section for new episodes But the lack of Castle is actually understanding, since - As Shinoi said - Oscar has his own job as a designer and illustrator and no free time to work on his own projects.

It's hard to say how old DQ will become, given that the number of active members is slowly decreasing, but I'm still waiting for the day when I can say, "Oh yeah, I remember that thread from 10 years ago!"

But I stick around because this is the first forum I've ever been to and I haven't seen many like it, plus the members here are awesome and I wouldn't be where I'm at if I hadn't found out about this place. Castle had - literally - changed my life (Not to mention it made me more confident in speaking up and completely removed my shyness) and I can't be thankful enough for that.

a distant citadel overlooking a monument at sea

Wow, happy birthday DQ! It's been a really long time for me, and that's with me having been absent for much of it!

I joined way back in December 2008, when I was only 11 years old(!!!) and at the time it was just some silly thing I was doing. Here's another patch of that really cool thing the big kids use that they call the internet! I'd better impress the people at this website with how cool I am!

That didn't go too well, so I waited a while and tried being cool again! Then I tried it several times after that. (Pirate and Beans never existed, by the way, although I do have three older sisters, one of which has considered joining DQ.)

Holy hell, I totally forgot what an ass I was.

But yeah, I'd like to think I've grown since then, and a lot of my development as a person, a scholar and as an artist are without a doubt the results of my time here. So yeah, thanks all of you, and again, happy 8th.

EDIT: I also miss Boredom Nexus.
    Last edited by Ducky; December 9th, 2013 at 09:03 PM.

I discovered castle around 2007, i watched it around 11-12 at night, when I was 10 or 11. Man it was the best stick figure series i ever saw. It was unbelievable how good your stick figure animations were. It was like the next generation of stick figure animation. I then watched the rest of the episodes, it was a little scary when I was watching Castle III when i was 11 or 12. But the music actually made me shiver in Castle III part c, it's my favorite part in the entire series. Well happy birthday DQ! I really hope Castle IV is coming, still a big fan of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by NoxArcana View Post
    Oscar has his own job as a designer and illustrator and no free time to work on his own projects.
    Well, this isn't entirely true, but sort of right. I spend a few hours every week on free time projects, but it's certainly not as much time available as when I was still going to school and still lived at my parents place. It's all about prioritizing now.

By the way, I'm mainly a front end developer but I do illustration occasionally.

Wow Oscah, look at all these people you've touched inappropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    I also miss Boredom Nexus.
    And so you shall continue to. My only offspring shall remain buried unperturbed.

Default the finest fruit hangs low

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkCat View Post
    i was gonna reply with "you gonna call the police or should i" but you already made that joke so thanks bro thanks

happy birthday dq love the brownie bit treats
    Last edited by Maddermadcat; December 10th, 2013 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkCat View Post
    I'm glad I touch people.

I joined in the beginning of 2010, can't believe that was almost 4 years ago. I've been reading the forums about half a year before I joined, I don't even know when I first discovered Castle, but it was some years before that.

I think in the years I've spent here I've matured a bit and learned how to express myself better. I've been sticking around because I really like the forum and the people on here. It's safe to say I've grown to be quite attached to this place.

Yeah since I joined about two years ago, i watched the whole series of Castle, it was awesome.

a distant citadel overlooking a monument at sea

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    I'm glad I touch people.

Whoa there Oscar. Whoa there.

*takes a slice* Happy birthday weeeeeeeeeeeee

So for me, it all started when I wandered off the internet(while I was supposed to study for an exam e.e) and found this amazing stickman series from Newgrounds, back in 2007! I was like 13 or 14 and had always been a great fan of stickman animations, Xiao Xiao, Joe Zombie...you name it. But nothing I saw was like Castle, that fluid animation, that cinematics, that action scenes...hell, the stickpeople even have fingers! It drew me in right away. Back then I was thinking, I NEED to know which amazing person made this, and that was how I stumble upon DQ.

At that time Repercussions was already in development, at 5% or 7% I think. What interested me aside from the Castle series though was the forum - the community wasn't very big, but big enough to provide lively conversations while I managed to remember who was who(I was a big fan of TOH's art and comics at that moment, and still is, haha!). But the problem was, I was never a talkative person and my English sucks. Born and raised in Hong Kong where English is merely a school subject, I was able to understand most of what you folks were talking about but never had the courage(and basic skills :c) to speak up. So I lurk, I learnt to understand the sarcasms and metaphors you guys are using, and I learnt how this forum works. For an entire year(In fact, I was even there during the great hack!). Good times.

So after that, I finally mustered enough courage to make an account and properly introduce myself, and was welcomed warmly, thanks guys! It went kind of awkward and derpy after that, but hey, who didn't begin awkward and derpy? For a 14-year old teen who, at that time, thought anything dark and bloody and gloomy are automatically cool, that was kind of expected. I even made plenty of close friends thanks to DQ, thank you you two, Scythe Cat(who sadly, doesn't visit DQ anymore) and Razgriz C:
    The art/showoff section has always been my favorite part of the forum, since we can all share our own work and impress people and stuff(the idea was new to me at the time), it did push me to work harder to improve my drawing skills. The best part of all? Freaking CHARACTER REQUESTS, that stuff drove me crazy. We could appear in comics and do cool stuffs together! It's like the most amazing thing ever!
    (oh and at first most people thought I was a guy because Tyle sounds gender-neutral lol)

Still, till now I'm still not very good at making lively conversations, hence it would be better for me to shut up and watch most of the time(oh, and the low post count.). Some time ago the atmosphere of DQ got....tense, and I thought even if I stayed here I wouldn't have a chance to chat anyway, due 2 year absence :/ I still came here every once and a while though. Recently things seemed to have changed, so here I am, back(sort of)!

Though, probably the most important thing about DQ to me is all the English language it taught me. Hell yeah, English being the main language if internet, DQ was actually one of the first sites and the very first forum I came into contact that was entirely in English. As I said I wasn't very good at the language, but I forced myself to improve just to keep up with all the convos in the forum, and with that, I gained more confidence in reading English in other sites. By the time we were preparing for our A-levels, I was second in English subject in class, sometimes first. When the real deal came, I didn't even study too hard and scored a friggin C. While 35% of the candidates failed the paper. Right now I'm majoring in Biological Technology in Taiwan, and instead of attending the English class like everyone else, I'm the friggin teacher assistant(as a student).
    So as cliche as it sounds, discovering DQ changed my life, just not in the way you might expect.

THANK YOU, OSCAR, FOR CREATING THIS SITE, AND ALL YOU FOLKS THAT ARE READING THIS, WHO KEEP THIS SITE ALIVE FOR EIGHT FRIGGIN YEARS.

sincerely,
    your local bird person, Tyle :>

Is the lack of Castle devastating or refreshing?
    Meth withdrawal is a joke in comparison.

I'm glad I touch people.

Watch out children, this guy's a real perv.

<3

Happy birthday DQ.

Well....... *Cue the flashback music and wavy screen*
    My older cousin introduced me to the Castle Series at a very early age, I believe 8? I didnt get anything cause I was so young. A few years later, I was on stick page and i watched the whole Castle Series on it. I was like 12 at the time and Repercussions B or C just came out :3 Was totally hooked on the episodes and my cousin and I waited a very long time for the last Repercussions to come out, which came out when i was in 7th grade? I even tried to make my own stick animations (and utterly fail) So anyways, I found the website and decided to join, but I never posted cause i didnt know what to do. But now recently (meaning a year) I have come on to see how everything is going. I cannot wait for the next Castle to come out and constantly checking like weekly to see the development of it (sadly, nothing really happens here :C) but ya, there's my story

PS - oscar, are you still a janitor? you should make a living off of youtube animating videos

I started my career on DQ as I have continued it - in a fever pitch of rage. I remember making a thread about the hacking of Ichigoland way back in DQ's blood coloured Gothic faze, frothing at the mouth over the idea that my first innocent years of Internet exposure would be erased of the face of the internet. What sweet naivete, as it turns out those days - and my way of approaching them - was a bunch of bollocks that might well stand to be forgotten after all.

Many a furious rants later, I'm still the self-righteous, entitled git I was before... Now with EXTRA Diabetes for no extra charge. Ground fees are $99.99 for the worst time of your life - GUARANTEED.

ORDER NOW.

Wow, 2 years for me. I'd definitely say this is one of the best forums I go on. While I enjoy the hot debates in Sargunster, this one is definitely more homely(considering they have a site owner who's banned more people than this place has registered users).

I remember I first found out about DQ when my friend showed me the "Ride Like the Wind" music video. After I saw the site had a forum, I registered and started talking. It was awesome to get a warm welcome into the community, and it's been a fun ride.

I think one thing I gained from this site was a number of friends, namely the guys on the community Minecraft servers. Unlike most forums, this one is pretty tightly knit, with everybody knowing everybody for the most part. A fair number of these people I wouldn't mind sitting down with them, have a few drinks, and just share some stories.

As for how long the site will last? I don't think you can just put a date and say "This is when things will end." The site's going to keep going, have some influxes of users whenever Oscar makes more animations, but we(the regular users) will probably start coming less frequently as we get less time to spend here. Give it 5 or so years, and a majority of the forum activity will be by a new group of people frothing over Castle.

And Oscar? He'll just sit there and keep things running.

The only thing I can think of in terms of nostalgia is this

my first avatar here

Good ol' Thunderaven

I never did wake up in hell after that...

a weak, unexperienced attempt at humor on my part

Anybody remember cottontwat?

I'd also like to thank everyone for putting up with my bullshit for the 4-5 years I've been here. I know it's not easy to deal with me so I appreciate it. I hope this site remains functional till the end of the internet.

LONG LIVE DQ!!!

I...I never saw the last one!

This guy really reminds me of some faggot on some other forums I'm on. Same butthurt and waaaaahwaaaaah. Snax, is that you?

I have no recollection of someone called cottontwat what so ever. Was this a big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyle View Post
    *post*
    I remember your first posts around here. Like you said, your english have improved tremendously. And thanks for the kind words.

Now that we got cake we need something to drink. Behold the protein-rich DQ milk

*slaps birthday wishes on everyone* : D