Register

Default Nino tries his hands (paws?) at drawing

It is a long time since I last drew something. I used to draw alot before, mostly just stickmen blowing each other up with a variety of sparkly weapons, but also some detailed drawings, noting professional, but still a little more than a few lines clashed together to form a stickman.

After seeing a few of the drawings posted on DQ recently I was inspired to pick up the almighty pencil yet again.

after drawing I ran it through Photoshop to get some color.
    Here is the result:

I originally set out to draw a hooded face, but I quickly discovered that my ability to draw a proper face is as bad as it has always been...

what do you guys think?
    “Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up” – Pablo Picasso

I think it looks really cool; sort of like a drawing you'd see on a rock/metal album cover. The way how you drew the creased lines at the bottom gave it depth, but I'm not too sure about the upper part. Maybe the inside of the hood needs a little more darker shades?
    Other than that, clever idea drawing a hollow hood!

Quote Originally Posted by nino View Post

I originally set out to draw a hooded face, but I quickly discovered that my ability to draw a proper face is as bad as it has always been...

I feel you there. (Honestly I'm bad at whatever I draw, but faces are the worst.) I think it looks great without the face anyway though, and I'd love to see more.

I will be going to Croatia on holiday for a weeks so I won't be able to post any more drawings during that period, but I will be bringing a pencil and some paper, so maybe I will post something when I get back
    “Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up” – Pablo Picasso

Glad to hear that - I'm definitely looking forward to new arts!

Enjoy your holiday by the way :>
    [The Whale Fins] is now live!
    Read here or over at deviantArt

I have a bit of news for you, the drawings will unfortunately be delayed because I have lost the charger for my Photoshop computer and I will also be traveling this week. But have faith the drawings will come

But have faith the drawings will come
    And I will wait like a dog. A loyal dog, but a dog nonetheless.

After being gone for a week I have returned and here are the first of many drawings!

What do you guys think?

Epic. I like how you gave him a cat-like retina, but with human-like eyebrows.

I'm not sure if the eyebrow should be that close to the eye,but the blood vessels is definitely a nice touch

Here is the next drawing: a tree and an axe. I not too happy with how the tree turned out, but then again I have never been good at drawing trees.

A good piece of practice nonetheless

Yeah, these drawing are great, you gotta keep practicing to achieve impressing skills. You also could search for pictures to compare with, like a real axe. Good luck!

Hey guys! Sorry for the wait, but stuff like my birthday and such has gotten in the way of me colorizing my drawings. But now that I got time i picked up Photoshop yet again and and here is the result:

Ever wondered what slenderman would look like i an General's suit? no? well me neither, but here is what I imagine it would look like:

What do you think?

PS. about the hands missing: I am still terrible at anatomy so I decided to "cut" them off.

What do you think?
    That he looks too fat for Slenderman.
    Knowledge is power - and power is hilarious

yes,yes, I know, reanimating a dead thread and all that, but I drew this drake-thingy yesterday and I figured it was worth showing:

Maybe I will run it through photoshop as well to get some color, but what kind of colors would look good on this beast?

Default welcome to edgetown bitches

Before I proceed, you should know that where you are with your art right now is in no way unusual. Everyone has to start somewhere.

If you care about drawing, though, start over and learn the basic principles of visual art. Find some tutorials on colour theory and shading. Draw some primitives -- cubes, spheres, cones, etc. -- and practice lighting. The internet is a great asset here. Once you've got the hang of shading, graduate to more complex forms. Try your hand and still life and figure drawing. In the absence of live instruction, go through some books by Andrew Loomis (you can grab free downloadable copies of them here). Loomis's Fun With a Pencil is meant for absolute beginners, and while it's pretty corny in its old age, you'll likely find it worthwhile as a starting point. Burne Hogarth's anatomy books are great stuff too. Get a small sketchbook and draw people in the park, bus, or wherever you feel you can do so inconspicuously; just quick sketches to capture their form and pose. Posemaniacs is okay for anatomical studies, but it's no substitute for life drawing. Your best option is to find open life drawing sessions in your city.

As it stands, you can't draw for shit. I'm sorry to break it to you so bluntly, but there are lots of things you can do to fix that and become a competent artist. Without the time and effort to back it up, your half-assed dragon drawing is not "worth showing."
    Last edited by Maddermadcat; October 27th, 2013 at 11:41 PM.

Although having your having such a message broken to you is never fun, I agree. Reverting back to simpler shapes and learning the basics of lighting, perspective and shading would help greatly. I am not aiming to become a master at drawing by no stretch of the imagination. I rather wish to use it as a tool to get better at other art forms like 3D modeling and composition. Also having the ability to sketch and draw concept is nice.

I really appreciate you taking the time to dig up these books, after a quick look they look like a good source of information.
    I will try to practice and get better, thank you