Register
    I'm a level 22 Buttbuttin Killing_Time's Avatar

Default A small handful of new stuff

A commissioned piece done as charity. My main priority has been color, light and generally the atmosphere. I'm not pleased with the couple and the building was actually loosely traced because I was a little pressured for time.

The background was not my strong side, but I think I see a pretty clear development of my own skills within this piece. There are still some pretty glaring mistakes but I'd much rather start over on a new piece than fix the mistakes present here.

Some concept art done in water color. Pretty pleased with how cute he looks!

I have a bunch of unfinished stuff, but I'd much rather wait until that work is done before showing it off. Thanks to Aval for his help, advice and support. It's horrid to lose that creative spark - these days it feels like there's constantly rolling new ideas in!

If you guys wanna see the dA submissions and some of my other stuff, go here!

Formerly Tymedi

I love how light and dark starkly contrasts with each other in the second one. The woman seems to be staring into my soul...

Is the water creature in your third painting wearing a hat or is that part of its body?

Really love the 2nd piece, I like the way you made the depth of field.

I like the 3rd one. It looks like some kind of enslaved water animal. Really like the shells and stuff
    “Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up” – Pablo Picasso

That animal is really cool. So cute, purrrrrrrr :3
    Knowledge is power - and power is hilarious

Thanks for your feedback guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyemdi View Post
    Is the water creature in your third painting wearing a hat or is that part of its body?
    It's actually horns of a sort. My vision was to have him be a creature that could live in water and on land. I guess when you asked I realized it does look rather unattached, but my idea was to give it a sort of aerodynamic characteristic for when he's in water.

when i looked at the second one, it got me curious. what do you sketch before you make the lineart for someone's head? just a pair of circles (my preferred method) or a more detailed model?

Banned

Your drawing is shit. Maybe you can take pictures and edit them in Photoshop? As an animator, I believe my knowledge can be put to good use here.

DQ 1337 Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nointeled View Post
    Your drawing is shit. Maybe you can take pictures and edit them in Photoshop? As an animator, I believe my knowledge can be put to good use here.
    Glad to know constructive criticism is around DQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Evilmidget View Post
    when i looked at the second one, it got me curious. what do you sketch before you make the lineart for someone's head? just a pair of circles (my preferred method) or a more detailed model?
    I usually go by a circle and a jaw with a cross to line out eyes and face center. The jaw is a very simple but extremely helpful shape to understand. Same goes for the forehead and cheekbones, though the jaw is enough when all you need to establish is the direction the face is headed.

In my initial sketch you can kind of see the guidelines I've used as well as a very loosely planned out golden ratio.

Not quite sure I understand your post.

A thoughtful and deep, knowledgeable post expressed by true artist, skilled in his work and has done many animations, also offering help by pointing out mistakes and backing up his claims with his experience and years of hard work.

Banned

Let's take the first picture for example. Look at the dots and fizzyness around the lamps. It is obvious that this was done in MS Paint or something like that. The lighting was very unrealistic. PM me if you want animation help, my good sire.

Further shows his expertise and solidifies his claims with legit facts, able to pinpoint them with his strikingly sharp eye, unbiased and not judged on whim, also offers help with animating as everyone has been asking for it.
    Last edited by Shinoi; December 31st, 2012 at 10:11 AM.

a distant citadel overlooking a monument at sea

Let's take the first picture for example. Look at the dots and fizzyness around the lamps.
    That isn't entirely unrealistic, and even if it were, this is art, not photography.

It is obvious that this was done in MS Paint or something like that.
    Okay, I used to use MS paint alone and it actually serves your needs pretty well when you need it. Besides, I don't know if you noticed the rest of the drawing or anything.

The lighting was very unrealistic.
    Your claims are very unrealistic.

PM me if you want animation help
    This isn't animation help and I can tell you from personal experience that you really shouldn't try to troll on DQ.

my good sire
    But I thought...
    Meet Hot Singles Standing Right Behind You

Pretty good work KT

I can see why you're not all that satisfied with the first picture (Some details on the building, whatnot). Do you plan on going back to add more to it if you are able to?

Quote Originally Posted by Kreekakon View Post
    Pretty good work KT

I can see why you're not all that satisfied with the first picture (Some details on the building, whatnot). Do you plan on going back to add more to it if you are able to?
    The danger of adding to a picture is that you'll never get done. I find it far more effective to finish off a piece and take whatever feedback and criticism with me so I can apply that to something new. It really kills my drive and motivation to do art if I'm stuck with an unsatisfying piece that just won't work.

The second picture catches my attention: it's got absolutely good depth of field, but it suffers from the face being flat and the nearest wheel being somewhat unrealistically turned.
    *glares antagonizingly, then runs away to medicate panic attack*

First piece:
    I like the lighting in this one, perhaps some added reflection from the wall lamps to the ground would ramp things up? . Anatomy and poses of the characters seems legit and nice as well. Neat picture in overall but I think I miss a bit of contrast.

Second:
    The idea of depth of field was nice and it works in my opinion. The thing that first caught my attention was how the woman and the background doesn't seem to be in the same environment because she is so much brighter. It's an easy fix if you're up for it (if this is digital painting of course I don't know actually). Perhaps add some extra rim-lights on her from the lanterns to spice things up? Good expression and look on the woman though.

Third:
    My favourite Could be used in a children's book or something. I like the fantasy thing going on and I don't have much to suggest. Keep up the good work, KT!

Quote Originally Posted by Killing_Time View Post
    http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/365/2/0/love_in_the_rain_by_silverpaperplate-d5prxgm.png
    Truly heartwarming... It's like harmonies in color.