Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Good specs for a gaming computer?

So I wanna get a nice PC that I can game on but can still make my beats without my computer lagging like the one i'm using right now does. But at the same time I don't wanna buy like a $1,000 pc thats way out of my price range. I wanna play games like far cry 3, battlefield 3, hitman 5, etc. basically all the games that are coming out now. But I dont mind not having to play them on high settings. I dont know much about building a pc so bare with me here im just starting to get into pc gaming because I think it might be fun. Anyways here are the specs:

Windows 8 64
    2nd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2130 dual-core processor [3.4GHz S, 3MB Shared Cache]
    6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs]
    1TB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive
    No secondary hard drive
    1GB AMD Radeon HD 7450 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
    SuperMulti DVD Burner
    Wireless-N LAN card (1x1)
    15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB 3.0, audio
    No Additional Office Software
    No additional Security Software
    No TV Tuner
    Beats Audio (tm) -- integrated studio quality sound
    HP USB keyboard and optical mouse

Its only $550 and it comes with a NOOK free . So is this a good pc for gaming? Oh right and its a HP Pavilion p7-1400t Desktop PC.

http://soundcloud.com/mr-kdn
    "Cause our presence is a present, just to kick it is a blessing"

I don't think that this is the best computer for gaming. Here's quick analysis based on my experience for the stuff that matters:

-For the CPU I'd recommend getting an i5 at the very least if you're trying to go for gaming. i3 is more of a mid-range one.

-6 gb of RAM is VERY MUCH enough for gaming, nothing much needs to be changed here.

-Here's your main problem: the graphics card. If you're going for gaming any card from AMD that has "4" has its second digit isn't really going to cut it for anything much above medium based on my experience. I'd reccomend you get something that has a "6", or "7" as its second digit for AMD cards, and a "5", or "6" as a second digit for Nvidia ones.

For actual gaming I'd say this rig will be able to run the games at medium settings leaning slightly to low. If that's what you're going for I'd say it's all good

I got a pavilion dv7-something and the laptop is better than the system you specified and cost me 600€ (which is 780$).
    Spoiler for system specs:

also beats audio and all that stuff

It could by far not play the games you named with the best quality. There probably would still be lags with medium quality which would turn the gaming experience down a lot. If you want a good gaming computer, I'd say you should spend 1000$ at least. If you only want a gaming system however, think about getting an xbox or playstation. Those cost less than that computer you posted the specs of and can handle the games way better. The downside is that you couldn't do all the things you can do with a computer.

Kreek pointed out some very useful stuff there, take that into consideration if you want to buy a computer.
    Last edited by Shadowtime23; December 8th, 2012 at 07:44 PM.

These are not good specs. I have those myself (save for RAM and graphics card, the latter being in the same range as yours) and it's not really a gaming computer. I can play Dishonored on lowest specs with a bit of lag, Battlefield 3 was run on medium to high (surprisingly good too), but otherwise, anything that came after 2011 lags when not on lowest settings. So get a better computer.
    Knowledge is power - and power is hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by kingmiami View Post
    So I wanna get a nice PC that I can game on but can still make my beats without my computer lagging like the one i'm using right now does. But at the same time I don't wanna buy like a $1,000 pc thats way out of my price range. I wanna play games like far cry 3, battlefield 3, hitman 5, etc. basically all the games that are coming out now. But I dont mind not having to play them on high settings. I dont know much about building a pc so bare with me here im just starting to get into pc gaming because I think it might be fun. Anyways here are the specs:

Windows 8 64
    2nd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2130 dual-core processor [3.4GHz S, 3MB Shared Cache]
    No secondary hard drive
    1GB AMD Radeon HD 7450 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
    SuperMulti DVD Burner
    No TV Tuner

Its only $550 and it comes with a NOOK free . So is this a good pc for gaming? Oh right and its a HP Pavilion p7-1400t Desktop PC.
    Try to estimate the build specs yourself. Throw anything out that you can't salvage from your old PC. E.g.: buy a motherboard, CPU, RAM, GPU. See how much you can fit in. My calculations show sub-$600 range for sure.
    You can create your own opportunities this week. Blackmail a senior executive.

(stuff)
    Those specs are not good for gaming and you won't get a decent system with such a low budget. Here's something I put together for 1000 USD, but remember, in Sweden we pay like 25% taxes for hardware. I think this stuff will be cheaper where you live.

CPU: Intel i3 3220 (Dual Core 3,3 GHz)
    CPU cooler: The stock cooler bundled with your CPU
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V (1x SATA 6Gb/s, 1x USB 3.0)
    GPU ex 1: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Boost (3GB VRAM, 850 MHz)
    GPU ex 2: Gigabyte GTX 660Ti (2GB VRAM, 941 MHz, PhysX)
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile (2x 4GB 1600 MHz, total: 8GB)
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black (7200rpm, 1TB)
    Case: Bitfenix Outlaw (good cooling, sleek design, cheap)
    PSU: Fractal Design Integra R2 (650W 80+ Bronze)
    Case fans: Fractal Design Silent Series (120mm, 1000rpm, 15dB)

Edit:
    CD/DVD drive: Some old junk that works long enough for you to install Windows 7 from CD
    Internet: Just plug a cable to your motherboard, beats wireless internet any day.
    Last edited by TheOnlyHorse; December 9th, 2012 at 02:27 AM.

So what you're saying is I have to pay $1,000 for a good gaming pc?

I listened to what you guys said and updated it.

Windows 8 64
    3rd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3330 quad-core processor [3.0GHz, 6MB Shared Cache]
    No secondary hard drive
    2GB Nvidia GeForce GT630 [DVI, HDMI and VGA via adapter]
    SuperMulti DVD Burner
    No TV Tuner

This ones $830 with tax :'(
    Last edited by kingmiami; December 9th, 2012 at 03:33 AM.

That's still not really going to cut it for gaming on a above-medium level. Remember what I said earlier about the graphics card. Follow it, and you should be pretty much okay:

-Here's your main problem: the graphics card. If you're going for gaming any card from AMD that has "4" has its second digit isn't really going to cut it for anything much above medium based on my experience. I'd reccomend you get something that has a "6", or "7" as its second digit for AMD cards, and a "5", or "6" as a second digit for Nvidia ones.
    That is for the VERY least if you want to dedicate your computer to gaming. The higher you can get that second digit though the better.

Do you have any ability to buy the freakin' computer in parts, kingmiami? Then do it - starting with the bare minimum needed. You'll probably spend less money than those $800.

Quote Originally Posted by BanHammor View Post
    Do you have any ability to buy the freakin' computer in parts, kingmiami? Then do it - starting with the bare minimum needed. You'll probably spend less money than those $800.
    Oh yes, also this. I'm sure there have to be some retailers over where you are who are willing to put together a computer based on parts you name specifically. It will be much cheaper this way to put together a PC when compared to pre-made ones.

Take mine for example. I got all of the below for approximately US$ 500 two years ago:

AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.0 ghz
    Windows 7 32 bit
    2 gbs DDR3 RAM (Upgraded this a little while ago)
    500 gb Hard drive
    ATI HD 4850

Everything else was pretty generic stuff. I've been using this rig for a long time now, and it works pretty good being a budget rig. All my stuff will run smoothly on medium to high settings.

Just goes to show how much money you can save, and still get a huge bang for your buck when you know a few things about computer hardware.

So what you're saying is I have to pay $1,000 for a good gaming pc?
    If you pay 1000 you'll get a decent gaming computer. If you want a good computer you pay more

I listened to what you guys said and updated it.

Windows 8 64 Don't buy unless you have a fancy touch screen
    3rd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3330 quad-core processor [3.0GHz, 6MB Shared Cache]
    6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs] Get 8GB
    1TB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive Stay away from Seagate
    SuperMulti DVD Burner
    Wireless-N LAN card (1x1) Use a cable, better internet speed
    Beats Audio (tm) -- integrated studio quality sound Your mobo already has integrated audio, or try Asus Xonar
    HP USB keyboard and optical mouse Stay away from HP
    I stroke everything I would never buy myself, bold text is good advice. Why do you even mention stuff like security software and microsoft office? None of those are hardware and shouldn't go on the list. All we need to know is the OS. Did you read my previous post? That is a really good deal and you'll run all new games on high settings. The GPU you put on that list is so weak I've seen it on business laptops.

If you want a decent gaming computer you have to spend money. You live is the US and that is a great opportunity to buy cheap hardware compared to us Europeans. Heck I'm jealous.

TOH, not everybody has the ability or will to run cable, especially when you can get a WiFi card working at 154 mb/s and everybody's Ethernet is about 100 mb/s. And when have you seen an actual need for 8GB? I can get by on 4, or six if I like to get a reserve, but 8?

Quote Originally Posted by BanHammor View Post
    TOH, not everybody has the ability or will to run cable, especially when you can get a WiFi card working at 154 mb/s and everybody's Ethernet is about 100 mb/s. And when have you seen an actual need for 8GB? I can get by on 4, or six if I like to get a reserve, but 8?
    I have 16 GB RAM. Sure is awesome to run heavy games, art software, webbrowsers and everything at the same time. 4GB is definitely not enough, I had that much RAM on my old computer and things would crash because I ran out of memory. This is 2012, soon 2013. 8GB is no big deal at all, even my crappy laptop for studies have that amount of RAM.

Wireless internet will never be as good as fiber internet or whatever output you have in your house. My current speed is close to 100/100 Mbit/s via fiber cable. My router is capable of delivering speeds up to 350 Mbit/s but when I connect a computer to the wireless network I get upload and download speeds around 50% of what I should get. That's what happens if walls or furniture block the signal.

EDIT: Kingmiami, if you still wish to use wireless internet I recommend the motherboard I'm currently using: Asus P8Z77-V It comes with a tiny module and software that allows you to connect to the internet without any cable management. (Assuming that you have a router in your home of course.) The motherboard also has x4 USB 3.0 and 4x SATA 6,0 Gbit/s ports. Great if you want to update your build with an SSD in the future.
    Last edited by TheOnlyHorse; December 9th, 2012 at 03:03 PM.

Hopefully, someday, I will be in the hearts of all member of DQ....hopefully....

Man, there's technical advice flying everywhere in this thread. Incidentally, I was also thinking about getting into PC gaming and was wondering how to optimize my laptop for that purpose. So, needless to say, I've been reading this thread with care, even if the techie details do slip my mind a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Drex View Post
    Man, there's technical advice flying everywhere in this thread. Incidentally, I was also thinking about getting into PC gaming and was wondering how to optimize my laptop for that purpose. So, needless to say, I've been reading this thread with care, even if the techie details do slip my mind a bit.
    I was going to ask for your laptop's specs but realised that the discussion would likely consume kingmiami's original purpose of this thread. Modifying a laptop is tricky because there are usually no upgrades that fit inside the shell. But changing a DIMM, HDD or even GPU is much easier. Throw me a PM if you need hardware/software help.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyHorse View Post
    If you pay 1000 you'll get a decent gaming computer. If you want a good computer you pay more

I stroke everything I would never buy myself, bold text is good advice. Why do you even mention stuff like security software and microsoft office? None of those are hardware and shouldn't go on the list. All we need to know is the OS. Did you read my previous post? That is a really good deal and you'll run all new games on high settings. The GPU you put on that list is so weak I've seen it on business laptops.

If you want a decent gaming computer you have to spend money. You live is the US and that is a great opportunity to buy cheap hardware compared to us Europeans. Heck I'm jealous.
    Okay thanks for the tips let me give you a little background info. I went to the beats website look at the computers they were selling and found a good desktop so the beats audio is already integrated in it i cant choose to not have it when I customize my pc. The same for windows 8 I cant choose not to have it unfortunately if it were my choice id choose windows 7 or vista but I cant. Same for the wireless LAN card. Also does it really matter what harddrive I buy? And yeah I have a router by the way ill just plug it in there. Internets not that big of a deal from me honestly. What I really want is a pc that plays games on medium settings it doesn't have to look amazing. And I want a computer that doesn't lag when I try to use so many vsts or effects on my DAW. @BanHammor I'm not exactly the best with computers and dont intend on buying seperate parts to build one it seems to complicated to me. Thank you guys for helping me try to find a good gaming computer you guys are really awesome!

Okay thanks for the tips let me give you a little background info. I went to the beats website look at the computers they were selling and found a good desktop so the beats audio is already integrated in it i cant choose to not have it when I customize my pc. The same for windows 8 I cant choose not to have it unfortunately if it were my choice id choose windows 7 or vista but I cant. Same for the wireless LAN card. Also does it really matter what harddrive I buy? And yeah I have a router by the way ill just plug it in there. Internets not that big of a deal from me honestly. What I really want is a pc that plays games on medium settings it doesn't have to look amazing. And I want a computer that doesn't lag when I try to use so many vsts or effects on my DAW.
    I have no clue what "beats website" is. Do they sell pre-built systems or do they let you choose hardware and then build it? Any way you can link us to your shopping basket? Or maybe I can put together something and then link you to my basket?

Quote Originally Posted by kingmiami
    Also does it really matter what harddrive I buy?
    There are different kids of HDDs. Quality and warranty depends on the producer but people generally define HDDs by their RPM (Revolutions Per Minute), basically how fast the disc/discs spins.

5400 rpm - Spins slower, generates less vibrations and noise through the computer shell. Used for storage such as pictures, movies and other data. 5400rpm drives are becoming more and more common in laptops and not just servers. 5400rpm drives write and read data slower than other drives, but the price is cheap.

7200 rpm - Spins faster and generates more vibration and noise. Builds more heat but the amount is just a few more C so nothing to worry about. This is the most common HDD for desktop systems with only one harddrive, it runs games and OS fast enough for a good price. I own a "Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB" for lighter games and software as well as and storage of heavy artwork.

10 000 rpm - These harddrives were the fastest you could get, and you still can. However, they generate a lot more noise, vibrations and heat compared to other harddrives. Don't buy one of these when you can get an SSD (solid state drive). Installing Windows on an SSD will remarkably increase the speed of your computer, I did this with a Samsung 830.

Buy from a parts-assembling retailer then, I guess. By all means, stay away from Beats - you overpay at least by 1.5. you absolutely can buy an Audio-technica, M-audio, Sennheiser or io2 sound system for much less if you shop around - because right now they are making you pay for so much unneeded shit it makes me cry. Don't forget that Beats are consumer grade, not creator grade.

Hopefully, someday, I will be in the hearts of all member of DQ....hopefully....

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyHorse View Post
    I was going to ask for your laptop's specs but realised that the discussion would likely consume kingmiami's original purpose of this thread. Modifying a laptop is tricky because there are usually no upgrades that fit inside the shell. But changing a DIMM, HDD or even GPU is much easier. Throw me a PM if you need hardware/software help.
    I realize that it's much harder modifying a laptop than a CPU. My sister had to replace her laptop's battery but after getting it she realized that it didn't fully fit inside the shell. So whenever she carries it around she has to be careful otherwise it might slip and fall out.

My laptop has been getting a bit slow lately. Apparently the performance is going down. Whenever I do too much at the same time it slows down and even freezes at times. Maybe it's not that bad but if I want to play some cool PC games than I'll probably have to do something. Like I said, not much of a problem. Focus on kingmiami's techie stuff right now.

Incidentally, what's the full form of specs? Yeah, when it comes to setting hard drives and PCs, I'm a noob.

Quote Originally Posted by Drex View Post
    I realize that it's much harder modifying a laptop than a CPU.
    You have no clue what a CPU does, do you? Because what you said is the exact opposite. You need to refresh your basic computer knowledge I think

Quote Originally Posted by Drex
    Incidentally, what's the full form of specs? Yeah, when it comes to setting hard drives and PCs, I'm a noob.
    For Kingmiami and Drex You can get most of the specs by typing this:

Click the Windows icon -> Type dxdiag.exe into the white field -> A window will pop up and show you the hardware

If you want to monitor your system and get additional information I recommend these tiny but handy programs. They are all free, but make sure you choose the versions that fit your operative system. Example Windows 7 64-bit or Windows Vista 32-bit. Find out by launching dxdiag.exe.

Harddrive (HDD):
    Crystal Disk Info Standard Edition
    - Monitors HDD health. Capable of displaying a lot interesting info such as your HDDs spin-up time, temperature, how many errors that occur upon read/write and much more.

Processor (CPU):
    RealTemp
    - Monitors the temperature of all CPU cores

CPU-Z
    - Displays additional info about your CPU and Motherboard. Also displays basic info about RAM and GPU. Not capable of monitoring temperatures or cooling fan speeds.

Graphics Processing Unit (GPU):
    GPU-Z
    - This thing picks up everything about your GPU. It also monitors cooling fan speed, temperatures and how hard your GPU works when you play games. Some laptops do not have an external GPU, instead they run all graphics on the CPU's integrated graphics unit. This is not a problem for GPU-Z, it will instead pick up the info from your CPU.
    Last edited by TheOnlyHorse; December 10th, 2012 at 06:46 PM.

Okay well first I got to the beats website look for the computers they have it links me to the hp website where I pick a computer:

Then I pick the computer I want which is the HP Pavillion p7. It brings me to this page where I get to customize it.

Then I check out it shows me what specs I picked and all that. Don't worry about the computer below or the monitor above it I was just seeing what I can customize. Anyways the beats audio already comes in pre-built in the computer.

Is there a better soundcard that would be better for music?
    Last edited by kingmiami; December 10th, 2012 at 08:30 PM.

Okay well first I got to the beats website look for the computers they have it links me to the hp website where I pick a computer:
    [IMG]
    Then I pick the computer I want which is the HP Pavillion p7. It brings me to this page where I get to customize it.
    [IMG]
    Then I check out it shows me what specs I picked and all that. Don't worry about the computer below or the monitor above it I was just seeing what I can customize.
    You are aware that the text on those images is so small we can't read it? I personally have no clue what kind of soundcard they included and HP is just screaming bad quality. Why don't you order all the parts and build your own system? My first post in this thread is a great build for playing the games you mentioned. Add an external soundcard and you'll have your own little music studio as well. You should take Banhammors advice:

Quote Originally Posted by Banhammor
    Buy from a parts-assembling retailer then, I guess. By all means, stay away from Beats - you overpay at least by 1.5. you absolutely can buy an Audio-technica, M-audio, Sennheiser or io2 sound system for much less if you shop around - because right now they are making you pay for so much unneeded shit it makes me cry. Don't forget that Beats are consumer grade, not creator grade.
    ________

Quote Originally Posted by Kingmiami
    Anyways the beats audio already comes in pre-built in the computer.
    [IMG]
    Is there a better soundcard that would be better for music?
    Asus Xonar soundcard, works great for gaming as well as music. If you're looking for studio soundcards you'll have to pay thousands...

@TOH you don't have to read the specs I already posted it
    Windows 8 64
    No secondary hard drive
    SuperMulti DVD Burner
    No TV Tuner

But anyways could you guys recommend me a site you used to build your computer?

@TOH you don't have to read the specs I already posted it
    Windows 8 64
    No secondary hard drive
    SuperMulti DVD Burner
    No TV Tuner
    Yes those are exactly the same specs I read when I entered this thread. Whatever you do, don't buy it. You are wasting money by letting a company build a low-end system for you. Banhammor already pointed this out and I quoted it in my previous post. I hope you understand, because you haven't replied to any of he good advice you've been given. We are still stuck with this bad hardware ^

But anyways could you guys recommend me a site you used to build your computer?
    (I would if I lived in the US.) The best way to find a reliable company for this task is to read reviews on the internet. Computer forums related to your location are also a good resource. This requires some effort from your side Kingmiami, unless you want to pay for an overpriced low-end computer. I'm trying to prevent you from doing that

I would personally stay away from Hewlett Packard (HP) and Dell (also Alienware). Once again, build your own computer if you are short on money. There are many great text- and video tutorials on the internet about building computers. There's no excuse really, just laziness And those companies make money on your laziness... Shame on them.

I'd advice you to save up, you should be able to build a really nice machine for about 1000 - 1200, I know it sounds like a lot but you'll be A LOT happier in the end.

The perks of building your own machine or buying a custom built machine (if you want to pay a little more and save all the hard work) are that you can upgrade it later on.

This is a huge advantage, and you'll really appreciate it later on.

Also, this:

This guy know what he's talking about.

He also made a video for how to build a $500 gaming PC or even a $400 one.
    Last edited by Tobu; December 11th, 2012 at 10:40 PM.