Register

Default Beyond Tuonela: Teaser

I know it took a little longer than I said but it's finally here! Enough talk from me. Please check it out and tell me what you think. And if you like it, i would love it if you passed it along.

Watch it:
    http://www.mixed-studios.net/beyond-...ficial-teaser/
    https://vimeo.com/51333796
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAsn8zWapto
    http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/604391
    Last edited by Mixed-Studios; October 13th, 2012 at 06:18 PM.
    http://mixed-studios.net/
    Visual Effects and Animation

The character's movements seemed a little off in some places, but otherwise it was wonderful. Can't wait for the series to start.

Edit: Loving the sound effects.
    'All my followers shouldn't accept my teachers out of faith, but out of constant investigation.'

Thanks! I can understand what you mean with character movement, as character animation isn't my forte. My specialty is special effects and composition. When the series starts I'll hopefully have somebody else to at least help me out with most of the character animation. I was also really worried about the sound effects so I spent a lot of time to make sure it had substance and diversity. I'm glad you liked them!

The shaking and wobbling camera movements are annoying, way too much of that stuff.

But awesome special effects. We got smoke, fire, light, shadows, gunfire, particle effects, shiny stuff And the sound effects are great as well. Make sure to tell us when you finish your vid.

Whoa. This is intense stuff. I love the calm, silent (dead) atmosphere you created with the sound. As for the visuals, all those effects! There are so many... Not that I'm complaning. This just might be dangerous to view on LSD.

Looking forward to the full release. Totally got me hooked!

"Within 2 weeks"...

Formerly Tymedi

Looks like everybody already covered the good, bad and awesome stuff the teaser had.

Looking forward to seeing more of the animation!

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyHorse View Post
    The shaking and wobbling camera movements are annoying, way too much of that stuff.

But awesome special effects. We got smoke, fire, light, shadows, gunfire, particle effects, shiny stuff And the sound effects are great as well. Make sure to tell us when you finish your vid.
    Unfortunately the camera is here to stay. To achieve this look I actually filmed with my camera and tracked all the footage in the computer. I then used that data throughout the entire animation to give it that look. I feel like something would be missing from the overall style without it. Thanks for the input though, I'm glad you like the effects!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowtime23 View Post
    Whoa. This is intense stuff. I love the calm, silent (dead) atmosphere you created with the sound. As for the visuals, all those effects! There are so many... Not that I'm complaning. This just might be dangerous to view on LSD.

Looking forward to the full release. Totally got me hooked!

"Within 2 weeks"...
    Yeah sorry about that. The two weeks estimate was way off. The guy making the music left the country right after I made that post, causing the delay. I'm glad you liked it though!

No worries, that animation completely makes up for the delay.
    I like the shakiness to some degree. When the music is quiet and everything stopped moving and it's still shaky, it's annoying. But it also gives that feel of "this is not done yet, something's coming".

i am 12 and wat is this? Diplomacy Domination Victory Aval's Avatar

Seriously cut the shakey cam. What I could vaguely squint out looked kinda cool, but I needed to put active effort into working out what was happening and I had to pause and do other stuff at two points because it was frankly unpleasant to look at for prolonged periods.

Shakey cam is a technique, and should never be thought of as a style. It can be used subtly to make action scenes more intense and kinetic or imply a sense of chaos and a lack of control. However, what with its origins in documentary film overusing shakey cam to the point where the audience is aware it's being used completely destroys immersion and raises troubling questions of diegesis at best, and at worst renders the action completely incomprehensible.

In the context of this film, the scenes of the ship burning up on re-entry were perfectly appropriate for shakeycam, the scenes of suspense and stillness were totally undermined and the action scenes were hard to understand. A still shot can also be very powerful, especially with the tense, suspenseful ambience you were going for in the quieter moments (Shadowtime's right, pretty much all other considerations were great in this regard, congrats.)

As a director you should place the quality of the film above all other considerations. If something makes the film worse it should go, no matter how much effort you put into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Polo View Post
    why the fuck can i never find what I'm after this is so gay

Quote Originally Posted by Aval View Post
    As a director you should place the quality of the film above all other considerations. If something makes the film worse it should go, no matter how much effort you put into it.
    I did not leave it in there because I put a lot of work into it. The difference of opinion is that I don't think the shaky camera worsens the animation. I do agree to the extent that I'm going to refine the look, change some methodology, and make sure that it doesn't get in the way of the action. Hopefully it translates better in the next installment.

the camera was a bit too shaky at some points, but other than that, that was a really amazing animation. Can't wait for more.
    music is what keeps me alive
    my deviantart

This is looking pretty damn cool so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Mixed-Studios View Post
    The difference of opinion is that I don't think the shaky camera worsens the animation.
    The problem isnt that its worsening the animation, but its distracting from what animation is actually there -- you're also probably more used to it as the creator than those that are coming into the animation. It's your choice whether or not you remove it. Without it your audience doesn't have to adjust to the experience or with it you have to hope they'll stick around long enough to phase out how disorientating they find it.
    Last edited by Polo; October 13th, 2012 at 07:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aval View Post
    Do you have any idea how hard it is to make Madder praise the Beatles? I have been trying for three consecutive years to do that without success, but you managed it through the power of your wrongness. I'm kind of proud in a sick twisted way.

Thanks for the feedback Polo. After the responses I've received I will definitely be refining and reworking the way the camera works and I'll make sure it's less disorienting.
    Also, I was able to get permission from Tom to post the mp4 on newgrounds. If you guys feel like giving some love you can view it here:
    http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/604391

Newgrounds also seems to play it at the highest quality compared to youtube and vimeo.
    Last edited by Mixed-Studios; October 15th, 2012 at 10:23 PM.

I saw this on Newgrounds a while ago, great job! Everyone seems to have critiqued what I would have, so overall I really enjoyed it

Hmm, interesting, I didn't see any problems regarding the camera work. I at least think it's fine.
    I do regard camera shake as a useable style (I mean, look at movies like Bourne, Cloverfield, Paranormal Activity, The Blair Witch Project etc), and in the case of this production, it works, especially to bring out the parallaxing effects. But that's just my opinion, I think go with majority rules in this case.
    Keep up the great job man!
    Last edited by Dilly89; October 29th, 2012 at 08:12 AM.
    Feel free to visit my small part of the universe.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Dilly890

Rude and arrogant! But why? Flashlight's Avatar

Loving the effects, the clouds looked awesome, but can get irritating if used too much, near the end I just finally wanted the guy to reach the bottom just so they would disappear, you've come a long way from the original mop, though a bit sad that this is not as cartoony and comedic as it originally looked like.