Register

Default Programming Related - swfLib

What Is swfLib?

• SwfLib is essentially a PHP library that is used to work with the SWF file format. It's class based and scalable to allow for future updates as the SWF file format is revised.

What can it do?

• SwfLib can do a lot of things. In essence, it's an accessible on-the-fly SWF decompiler, but currently isn't meant to be used in such a manner. Instead, it's focus is to give web developers a greater set of tools when working with flash files. Most information contained within a SWF file can theoretically be pulled out.

For example, swfLib can read text found within a SWF file. This has a practical application for a web developer because it can be used to create META tags for a page. META tags can allow for better search engine rankings, and even better targeted ads, which can in turn lead directly to more profits.

SwfLib is even useful for designers of websites! With built in methods for detecting a SWF file's dimensions, the number of frames, the framerate, the background color, and even the Actionscript version, swfLib can be used in tandem with a layout to deliver a better experience.

Show me.

• Feel free to check out the swfLib demo site here. You can upload your own SWF file to see what sorts of information can be pulled from it. If you'd like to see a more specific example, click here to see what sort of information can be pulled from the Royco Cup-A-Soup animation.

Footnote

• Note that this is NOT a file hosting site. I don't really know how many people are programmers here, but I'm pretty proud of this library and really just want to show people what I can do. I'm definitely excited about how practical this library is for PHP programmers in the flash community, and am willing to talk about what went into this.

I'd also love to hear your suggestions, if any, on what I should add to this in the future. Right now I'm writing an extension to it that allows me to pull out image files like JPGs used in the animation, as well as streaming music.

Flash is dying, not to mention they are removing it from mobile devices. Less compatability issues if you stick to javascript, html5, css3 and php.

Toh, that has nothing to do with the work he made. Even though it's true in some degree.

Anyways, I had no idea you could even use PHP to dig into the contents of files like this. Guess there are tons of stuff I haven't heard about yet. Seems like a good piece of software you made though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyHorse View Post
    Flash is dying, not to mention they are removing it from mobile devices. Less compatability issues if you stick to javascript, html5, css3 and php.
    I could go into detail about why I disagree, but that wasn't my goal with this topic. I'll just leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Toh, that has nothing to do with the work he made. Even though it's true in some degree.

Anyways, I had no idea you could even use PHP to dig into the contents of files like this. Guess there are tons of stuff I haven't heard about yet. Seems like a good piece of software you made though.
    Thanks! Most languages can actually read file contents so long as they have the ability to read the files. I could recreate this in Actionscript 3 if I felt like it.