Register
    I'm a level 22 Buttbuttin Killing_Time's Avatar

Default A little batch of concepts

Hey guys, I'm here to show you some a bit of the work I've been doing the past 6-7 months!
    I have been a bit reluctant to show off any work, but now that I have a good variety to pick from I can show you some of my most recent stuff and some of the drawings I think are the most interesting.

As they are concepts, please keep in mind that my main focus has been on just that, and not so much on the quality of execution. - And sorry about all the ugly digitally erased bits. There are some notes and other stuff I didn't want to distract you with.

Criticism, questions and whatever else is welcome!

Your anatomy is very impressive. #11 reminds me of Yoda :3 they all look pretty good to me, so, nice work.
    If relief is what you seek, head to the children's orphanage, and take a leak.

Well done anatomy, you seem to grasp well how the body looks in various angles as well as the impact perspective has on it (looking at the faun thing holding the speere). I know you're into the concept thing and keep it simple, but I'd love to see just some bits of shading in there. Would add lots of information of the forms etc. Looking forward seeing more.

#10 is best. I would like to see that guy fully finished. :U
    Quote Originally Posted by Aval View Post
    Do you have any idea how hard it is to make Madder praise the Beatles? I have been trying for three consecutive years to do that without success, but you managed it through the power of your wrongness. I'm kind of proud in a sick twisted way.

Formerly Tymedi

Awesome. I would love to see completed versions if you plan to make them. Numbers 9, 10 and 11 are the best imo.

I agree, 10 is outstanding!
    Love the exaggerated shapes of his head, anatomy is top notch on all of them obviously, your ideas seem awesome as well, love the fantasy-driven designs.

Show moar!

Also, I agree with Oscar, some shading would make the pieces outstanding.

I know they're just concepts but I hope to see some of them being finished up.

Thanks for the feedback guys. There is some shading in a couple of them, but my scanner couldn't really pick it up because the sketches are in a binder book that doesn't really fit well under the scanner.
    That being said, once i make some standalone pieces I can also shade them more with less worry of smudging (Another tiresome problem with sketchbooks).

If you're planning on throwing some colour on that I vote for #9 to be the first

Funny you should mention #9, as I have him especially in mind for a coloring. Coincidentally, I also had a bunch of watercolors I've been meaning to use up because half of them have dried up. So, limited with colors and only allowed watercolors (since the paper completely ruins my artist pens) I here present you the result!

Some pencil lines may show through the paint. I used gouache on the background to clean up the mess from whenever I painted outside the lines. Done on A3 paper as a separate drawing from the sketch you see further up.

Shading looks really awesome, nice work

Now this is probably me being picky, or it may just be me, but I'm having a hard time imagining how the tail would fit into the guy's backside.

It doesn't 'fit' into his backside. Take a look at lizards, the tail is an extension of the lower torso rather than a mere extension of the spine, which is more common in mammals.

Sorry if that sounded kinda mean, I'm just explaining that I got some references and worked on the concept from there.
    What I'm personally annoyed about in the painting is that I didn't place the clasp for the cape at the center of his chest and the cloth hanging from the torso doesn't fold after how the thighs are positioned.

Those... those are watercolors? This looks amazing. Maybe I should finally learn colouring.
    Knowledge is power - and power is hilarious

That turned out badass. Kudos to you for handling those tricky watercolors so well.

NON-NEGOTIABLE ENJOYMENT! Wadling's Avatar

I suppose it's alright, but you're no Liefeld, that's for sure.

Yeah, those shoulder pads are way too small. They should be at least as large as his chest plate or it doesn't count as armor. I guess it's pretty good compared to some other artistic standards, but if it isn't EXTREME then it doesn't catch the attention of my internet brain - Next!

please follow my three-step system for designing a Perfect Character:

1. Draw pouches
    2. Add pouches
    3. Pouches

success

Ludicrous muscles and hilariously oversized guns are optional.

Is this the time I should mention I'm not looking for going into the comic business? >:

Quote Originally Posted by Killing_Time View Post
    Funny you should mention #9, as I have him especially in mind for a coloring. Coincidentally, I also had a bunch of watercolors I've been meaning to use up because half of them have dried up. So, limited with colors and only allowed watercolors (since the paper completely ruins my artist pens) I here present you the result!

[IMG]

Some pencil lines may show through the paint. I used gouache on the background to clean up the mess from whenever I painted outside the lines. Done on A3 paper as a separate drawing from the sketch you see further up.
    Sweet mix of purple'ish colours, and the new head armour + teeth suits him.

It doesn't 'fit' into his backside. Take a look at lizards, the tail is an extension of the lower torso rather than a mere extension of the spine, which is more common in mammals.

Sorry if that sounded kinda mean, I'm just explaining that I got some references and worked on the concept from there.
    Oh no, not at all. Thanks for explaining it to me properly.

Formerly Tymedi

[IMG]
    Woah. With just watercolors, how long did it take for you to color that?

I spent about two days painting, but it's hard to say exactly how much time I spent working because the technique I use requires me to wait between each layer of paint.