Register

Default Youtube Dislike Bots

Hey DQrions.

As of late, I've discovered that my youtube channel is being targeted by dislike bots. I know this because an hour after loading my most recent vid, Voception, I immediately received a dislike, without the video receiving any views whatsoever, which is physically impossible!

Now, 1 dislike for big starting vids isn't a big deal, but for smaller channels and smaller viewing vids out there, 1 dislike can be a problem, as I suspect search results push down videos with a bad dislike score. Plus it's just plain annoying having a full red saber, for a vid you only just uploaded which wasn't even viewed.

Other videos I've previously posted, I either know or strongly suspect were hit with bots.

This I suspect being the exact source of my problems...

I guess that some might already know of this problem, so bare with my recent aquintance towards this problem.

My question is, is there any way to avoid the bots?
    Also, has anyone else been getting the same problems as well?
    Last edited by Dilly89; August 11th, 2012 at 05:37 AM.
    Feel free to visit my small part of the universe.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Dilly890

Quote Originally Posted by Dilly89 View Post
    I immediately received a dislike, without the video receiving any views whatsoever, which is physically impossible!
    While I appreciate you calling to attention the existence of such bots I wouldn't necessarily regard that as evidence of a bot.

Youtube takes longer to update the view count on videos compared the the likes or dislikes which are pretty much instantaneously updated. This is why you might be seeing this weird offset.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aval View Post
    Do you have any idea how hard it is to make Madder praise the Beatles? I have been trying for three consecutive years to do that without success, but you managed it through the power of your wrongness. I'm kind of proud in a sick twisted way.
    Quote Originally Posted by codbarley View Post
    I mean, my brain is a real piece of work guys.

What polo said.

On an unrelated topic, I don't like the term DQrions at all. It just sounds wrong. Can you please use something other people actually use?
    Ain't no party

That can be true I suppose.

Though this isn't the first time the first rating on my vid was a dislike, and very quickly too.
    I checked by the way, how fast youtube does update the views on a video, and the likes/dislikes (namely when I was trying to like my own video to balance the ratings), the view came up instantly when I went back to the video manager. Whereas with the dislike that came up, no views were shown, even for the most part of an hour.

*sigh* hackers gonna hack I guess.

PS: Aww, I thought DQrions was alright.

Well it's that or people found out you were behind the teamAVOresponse bullshit and are trying to get you to stop posting videos. Just sayin'...
    Ain't no party

They didn't find out, I turned myself in remember. Must I apologise again?
    Anyway, I doubt it's someone still angry about the avo stuff. Over the internet, I'm sure people have thick enough skins, at least to the point where putting down uploads isn't required.

I'll tell you what, next time I upload a video, I'll make a note to check video manager, as soon as it's up, take a printscreen if I see the dislike, and post it here. Would that be adequete evidence?
    Last edited by Dilly89; August 11th, 2012 at 09:34 AM.

DQ 1337 Member

Your printscreen as evidence isn't necessary, we believe you.

My suggestion is that you should try to confirm if it is actually a bot that is causing this agro before doing anything (maybe report your suspicions to an admin). Know the source of the problem, instead of assuming it is due to bots or hackers.

What Polo said is plausible, considering it was an hour afterwards that you received the dislike, and not immediately when the video was uploaded. And even for me, my YouTube video does have the tendency to take its time before updating its view count.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilly89 View Post
    PS: Aww, I thought DQrions was alright.
    Use it if you wanna. I don't find it particularly offensive. If it sounds right with you, then use it.
    Last edited by Tyemdi; August 11th, 2012 at 12:18 PM.

I highly doubt it's a bot, the viewcounter is inaccurate as fuck, don't use that as a measurement tool.
    I don't believe for a second it was a bot, one reason being because you only got 1 dislike, another reason being that a lot of people just lurk around YouTube and dislike every video they come across, yes even from very small users.

Also if 1 dislike and no likes as of yet is being a problem to you, then you're marketing yourself improperly.
    It is very unlikely anyone will find your video just by searching for it anyways, unless you're a YouTube partner and/or has a buttload of subscribers and views.

I can relate to getting one or a few dislikes early on, but it's really not a problem at all.

Dilly, if you really want to know if it is a bot sending dislikes, check the analysis of your channel if it is the same person (or machine) sending dislikes every time, you might want to contact an admin, or said person is just a total jerk
    “Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up” – Pablo Picasso

I'm a level 22 Buttbuttin Killing_Time's Avatar

1 Dislike isn't equal to a bot. Usually it's far more common that a person sends off an army of bots, after all the likes/dislikes aren't tagged with a name so proving bot activity is a little harder for anyone without administrative powers.

If you received 50 dislikes after an hour I'd be more inclined to support your suspicions.

Quote Originally Posted by nino View Post
    Dilly, if you really want to know if it is a bot sending dislikes, check the analysis of your channel if it is the same person (or machine) sending dislikes every time, you might want to contact an admin, or said person is just a total jerk
    I'm not sure if there is a way to trace each individual dislike, did you mean look in the analytics section?

Anyway, next time I upload a vid, I'll keep note as to how fast I get the dislike.
    Plus, I'll make sure the vid isn't something many people would accidently search for.
    If anything, I'll upload just a random test piece, and then see what happens.

DQ 1337 Member

Cool. Tell us about it then. But remember, it was an hour after uploading that you received the dislike.

Yeah, I will.