Register

Thread: CryEngine 3

Default CryEngine 3

I love to see how the future of gaming is developing. Technology has sure come a long way and this simply looks amazing.

Sadly I doubt consoles right now can handle this very well so unless the PS4 and Xbox 720 are a really big upgrade, then these kinds of graphics and visuals will probably only be seen on a PC. The reason I say sadly in the beginning is because I can't afford a good gaming PC, so I have a PS3.

Any thoughts on the subject? I'm sure many of you have seen this before.

I love watching these.
    Spent the other day looking at demo reels from both CryEngine and UnrealEngine.
    Awesome stuff!

I'm getting my computer this week, I can't wait to finally experience my games in their full glory.

I'm getting this RIGHT NOW. Seems like it would be worth-while.

EDIT: Wow, the .zip file alone is a gigabyte... This is gonna take a while.
    He claimed he was the creator of the universe, walked through a wall, and came back with a burger.

Probably the most realistic graphics I've ever seen. Probably needs quite the expensive computer as well.

I'll preface this saying I don't really know how these kind of things work, but do we know if this was a smoke 'n' mirrors tech demo where the examples are maxed out and running on some supercomputer? Or is all that actually possible realistically?

That aside it looks hell of impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by leapoffaith View Post
    Aaaw, what's wrong? Did that big meany Tawl hurt your feewings?

I'll probably get a lot of raised eyebrows for this comment, but I'm not at all impressed by this. It looks good, but eh - it's so boring. I prefer artistic expression in graphics - Winder Waker, El Shaddai, Journey - over just mimicking realistic effects. The only thing I liked was the water effects but until I see it simulated I reserve my cynicism and my boredom.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawl View Post
    I'll preface this saying I don't really know how these kind of things work, but do we know if this was a smoke 'n' mirrors tech demo where the examples are maxed out and running on some supercomputer? Or is all that actually possible realistically?

That aside it looks hell of impressive.
    My guess is that must be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Victory View Post
    I'll probably get a lot of raised eyebrows for this comment, but I'm not at all impressed by this. It looks good, but eh - it's so boring. I prefer artistic expression in graphics - Winder Waker, El Shaddai, Journey - over just mimicking realistic effects. The only thing I liked was the water effects but until I see it simulated I reserve my cynicism and my boredom.
    Not really, raising my eyebrows, I know people who share your opinion. I'd say I'm impressed by the technical aspects behind this but not as much the artistic aspects.

That looks extremely awesome, I'd really like to experience it in games
    music is what keeps me alive
    my deviantart

Imagine if they combined CryEngine 3, Frostbite 2, and UnrealEngine 3. One of these days they'll have an engine that incorporates everything from each of them and it will amazing!

Victory, I understand where your coming from. Art directed games have more imagination put into them and if done right, they can be breath taking. I myself find realism more enjoyable for certain games, like war games and stuff like that.

PS3 in theory can handle it, as sony maintains the claim that so far no game has reached the systems full potential, but meh, its not really all that great to see. Graphics are the last thing I care far, and realism gets boring after a while, I agree with Vic on this.

Though I have never heard of Winder Waker, I know of Wind Waker, and that is all I find when i bothered to look.
    Last edited by Zolen; April 17th, 2012 at 08:34 PM.
    Man rule 48. Any dispute lasting any longer than 3 minutes must be settled by rock, paper, scissors.

Yeah that's a typo, it was supposed to be Wind Waker

Quote Originally Posted by Zolen View Post
    PS3 in theory can handle it, as sony maintains the claim that so far no game has reached the systems full potential, but meh, its not really all that great to see.
    Are you fucking kidding me?
    The specs of a PS3 or an Xbox for that matter are ancient.
    Seriously, most of the features shown in this video is Direct X11, the consoles barely support Direct X10 if any at all as far as I'm concerned.

By the way, the thing you mentioned about the fact that the PS3 haven't showed its full potential.. Sony said that like 5 years ago.
    They have definitely found the limits of the console no, never noticed the lack of texture quality in today's games?

Yeah I was not saying that with any line of serious, I speak of theory that Sony STILL maintains.

Yeah that's a typo, it was supposed to be Wind Waker
    Then I officially agree with everything Victory said!
    Man rule 48. Any dispute lasting any longer than 3 minutes must be settled by rock, paper, scissors.

Oh didn't catch the sarcasm P:

Wow they still say that?
    how much do they think they can pull out of five hundred megs of ram?

Looks cool, can't wait until I have a laptop/computer good enough to run that kinda thing.
    DQ's medical advisor.
    "What is food to one is to others bitter poison" - Titus Lucretius Carus

Quote Originally Posted by Rockonman View Post
    Looks cool, can't wait until I have a laptop/computer good enough to run that kinda thing.
    That will probably take ages. D:

But Oscar, didn't you have an insane set-up?

Hm, laptops go obsolete a lot faster then desk tops, who knows maybe the laptop would live if it tried a game of that level.

(Tabu a hint of when I might be making fun of something is if I say "in theory" before the claim. Like "In theory global warming is true." If I was actually saying it, it would sound like I was making fun of it.)
    Last edited by Zolen; April 19th, 2012 at 07:36 PM.