Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Victory View Post
    If you really think the ending made sense then you fell asleep during it. The ending is like trying to save a cake from being eaten by eating it and then using the last remains to grease up a gun barrel before you commit murder-suicide. There's a reason why people believe it's a dream - it makes no sense.
    You know what's worse?
    Some of bioware's so called 'fans' who say they like the ending and all that, say those who are complaining about it are destructive whiners They will also say any changes to the ending as a destruction to 'artistic integrity.' No common sense whatsoever. Lost all faith in Humanity.
    I am clinically insane.

Because a videogame's fanbase is definitely something to lose faith in humanity over. Those guys are the real monsters, unlike those upstanding Eastern European sex slavers or that great man, Joey Kony.

If I haven't made the point clear yet, both sides need to chill the fuck out. Bioware has no influence on your life, and therefore shouldn't be given this level of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-L View Post
    If I haven't made the point clear yet, both sides need to chill the fuck out. Bioware has no influence on your life, and therefore shouldn't be given this level of concern.
    Actually, I'm concerned with the market, which Bioware - or more accurately EA - has a great deal of influence on. My raging on the ending is just a bonus.

The concern that is truly worth worrying about this all, is the implication that Bioware and EA are making with possibly selling only part of a game.
    Man rule 48. Any dispute lasting any longer than 3 minutes must be settled by rock, paper, scissors.

Again, how does this affect anything? Videogames aren't the cure for cancer, nor are they an end all be all. If you wan't to rag on a game because it's poorly done, go ahead. But when you're denouncing the game designer as evil, claiming to lose faith in humanity, claiming to want to murder the CEO etc. there is something very wrong.
    Last edited by Jedi-L; March 31st, 2012 at 02:34 AM.

It affects the market of a product I enjoy. Do I have to say it a third time for you to consider any shade of grey where protest and dissatisfaction doesn't necessarily equate with burning, disproportional seething malice and contempt? I'm denouncing no one as any kind of evil, I'm denouncing this game as being part of a shameless consumer extortion just like Street Fighter x Tekken is.

That the ending is bad has nothing to with morality; it's just another in a long list of examples of why Mass Effect - and the writers involved - are overrated.

I just ignore the people I lump together as unproductive and whiney, as they're no good on either side of the fence. People going, "Hudson should set himself on fire" are just as bad as those going, "The ending is amazing, all of you need to go away."

I would like to find out, imposible as it probably is, who actually pushes the industry towards to digital content segmentation. I know EA has a reputation for insisting multi-player be put into all aspects of the game for after-sale retaining security, but I'd like to know if BioWare as a developer is required to meet certain publishing requirements in order to have EA's backing. For example, From Ashes 'may' have been part of the initial game, but EA wanted to segment the content for added revenue and BioWare just has to say ok. Just being hypothetical, but it'd be interesting how much creative influence publishers can actually exert through their agreements.

One other thing I forgot to mention and would have like to have seen is immediate consequences for major plot-decisions. Like if I told the Salarian's to fuck off and shot Mordin in the face, I'd like to have some sort of actual backlash from them, not "You didn't gain this amount of points." That to me actually really detracts from any type of immersion as it clearly is a bar-filling game attribute that can be gamed. I know that probably sounds really really stupid considering it is a game, but Heavy Rain for example didn't have a "You gain 12 Detective Experience" or anything similar. Hope that made sense outside of my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by leapoffaith View Post
    Aaaw, what's wrong? Did that big meany Tawl hurt your feewings?

I'm a level 22 Buttbuttin Killing_Time's Avatar

Bwahahahahah!

Extended cut DLC coming this summer - for no extra charge.

Bwahaha indeed.
    You can create your own opportunities this week. Blackmail a senior executive.

There was nothing else for them to do. If they charged for it, they would've been kissing their company good bye. EA has already been voted the worst company in America so they don't have a lot of options.

I have my doubts about this DLC. I hope it's not going to be a rushed emergency backup plan.

EA beat company's that entire line of work is made to be corrupt that tells you something is wrong with the company.
    Man rule 48. Any dispute lasting any longer than 3 minutes must be settled by rock, paper, scissors.

This 'extended cut' dlc isn't going to change anything really. The problem wasn't just the closure, but the whole endings themselves. Bioware does not understand that the fans will never be satisfied because the company won't be altering the ending that had so many plotholes, an incomprehensible motive for the reapers, no known origins whatsoever and the fact that you are forced to make these three choices that end up being the same.
    I am clinically insane.

What would you suggest they do then?

Move on and accept that the ending sucks?

Move on and accept that the ending sucks?
    I don't think they have much to fall back on if they did. When Dragon Age 2 was released, it was also heavily criticized by fans, but they still had a chance to save their then dented reputation with Mass Effect 3 due to the series still having a extremely bright future for fans back then. Now that Mass Effect 3 has its shortcomings too, I don't think they can just move on anymore. For one I don't think they have a franchise people still believe can save them like back then. Dragon Age 3? Too heavily damaged by the terrifying Dragon Age 2 for people to automatically believe it won't suck before it's out. They have to fix this matter at hand the best they can. It's pretty much their only gamble.

I'm not suggesting it would be a wise marketing decision - I'm just being bitter

To be honest I never thought Dragon Age 2 would actually amount to as much as its predecessor, Dragon Age Origins closed itself pretty well and answered most of its questions in the same game. The only questions I had left were answered in the expansion and the witch hunt DLC. After the expansion most of the darkspawn should mostly have disappeared and other then more basic problems it seemed to me I was done with the world. Then in Dragon Age 2 to get around that problem they decide to start the game around the same time as when the plot of the original game started, and then have a bunch of time skips, maybe it would have worked, thing is, it didn't. The programmers and game makers even know they had screwed up, they have a NPC that makes 4th wall jokes about everything being more basic. I didn't expect it to be THAT crappy, but I never expected that a good game could come out of Dragon age unless they decide to go back further in time with each game.

There was nothing else for them to do. If they charged for it, they would've been kissing their company good bye. EA has already been voted the worst company in America so they don't have a lot of options.
    I have reason to believe that they got that spot mainly due to dragon age 2 and Mass effect 3. I mean, EA just made some shitty games, an there are companies that actually DESERVED that title. The people that voted for EA just had their panties in a twist over a few games that didn't fit their standards, while other companies on the list actually fucked over their employees and the general public.
    Ain't no party

To be fair, Dragon Age 2 did have decent graphics and gameplay, the storyline just sucked.
    DQ's medical advisor.
    "What is food to one is to others bitter poison" - Titus Lucretius Carus

Irrespective of whatever fault BioWare is guilty of I think fans are lucky they got anything.

Not jumping on EA's defence or anything but, wow, gamers really do get their panties in a twist. Up against companies like BP, Apple, Comcast, BOA, Zynga that actually pick out EA as the worst because they're crying over ME3 and Day One DLC. In the scheme of things, even if you don't agree with it, that shit is just minor.

If people think I'm just talking out of my arse here, feel free to correct me, but why is it gamers seem to always come across as the most butthurt and entitled within groups of fans? Is it just because they're more prepared to utilise platforms like the internet to get themselves hear? I'm just wondering this after seeing how almost 90% of 'fans' responded on the blog/feed thing to Rovio's latest update about the Danger Zone in-app purchase for Angry Birds Space. To break it down;
    1. Angry Birds Space costs $1
    2. Danger Zone is a one off 'Ultimate Challenge' one off purchase for $1
    3. Rovio has stated that all original, Space and future Danger Zone updates will be free for users (provided you've bought the games)

So fans will have spent between $1-$5 to play, which is a complete pittance, yet they're complaining about how Rovio has 'sold out' and betrayed their fans for charging for Danger Zone and all updates should be free. That amongst loads of complaints that the game hasn't been developed for Symbian or their obscure indie-OS. If you're paying $1 and demanding that that's all you should pay for something forever, I duno, I guess I just lose sympathy.

Obviously there's a huge difference between a $1 app game and paying $60/$100/$130 for a console game, it's just an example.

No, I agree, it's completely ridiculous. Personally, if we're going to talk horrible companies, I think Varsity Spirit Co. should have a mention. By struggling to make sure Cheerleading isn't counted as a sport they can cash in on girls crippling themselves while denying proper medical care and precautions for an activity that's AT LEAST as dangerous as the sport they're cheering for; where a medical staff is immediately present waiting to treat common injuries. That's fucking terrible

EA? They're like that local hot dog stand that wants to charge extra for ketchup and mustard when it's usually free elsewhere.

I also agree. Why waste time complaining about a game when your time could be better spent doing much more constructive stuff. And besides, it's not like the majority of people who complain about games actually know anything about making the games and how hard it can be.

As for companies that really should take the blame, my first choice would be one of the bigger news corporations.

BP, in my opinion, gets a good amount of undeserved hate, though it doesn't help anything that my dad is a safety manager at the biggest BP plant on the west coast of the US.
    DQ's medical advisor.
    "What is food to one is to others bitter poison" - Titus Lucretius Carus

That is all.

Ok, in light of the extended cult DLC, I'm going out on a limb to say, bump for one last thought.

Normally I would have nothing to say, but I just gotta talk about it, review it, complain about it and hopefully lay it to rest once and for all.

The Mass Effect 3 ending still doesn't make sense. Even with the 'extended cut DLC' and whatever mumbo jumbo they put in it, no amount of extra dialogue, no amount of effort or even 'true' closure is enough to save this game. It's already damaged beyond repairs in my opinion.

This extended cult DLC is set to explain what happened, like to your crew, to the fleet, the mass relays, the citadel, and everything else they can hope to put in to explain and provide closure. In fact, Bioware still slacked on the 'explanation' of the reapers and the catalyst. And by slacked, I mean completely devoid of explanation. Those extra dialogues can't do shit for this game, nor does it affect your decision, thoughts or closure for their existence. Explanation for Reapers? No time to explain! Pick a goddamn color! Explanation for the catalyst? Just pick a goddamn color.
    Even this 'new added ending' doesn't even make any sense. In fact, it made a whole new plot hole.

If you had ever, in any way, achieved total galactic readiness and the War Assets needed to build up this massive armada to attack the Reapers, you automatically lose if you choose to defy the catalyst. Tell me; why is it that this came up? I mean, it's bad enough ME3 itself defied everything in the game's lore and everything else. But seriously, none of that technology from Sovereign did any good? none of that epic mass fleet helped even the odds? none of this mattered? No, looks like it didn't.

And even then, the execution is STILL terrible, the writing is STILL a worthless piece of shit, and Casey Hudson would STILL call it art. That is if that 'art' was a huge turd in a toilet bowl that has been festering for a week or two I would say 'thanks.'

Now I hope I am not ranting or rambling or anything, but I just wanted to put that out. The game's narrative coherent still doesn't hold together.

Plus, the added ending scenes that slides and slips was just awful. Oh, and nothing really happens! Sure you save the Krogans, but you see only them and everything else! But we don't get any explanation as to what happens to them, what their future is now, and why does EDI or Admiral Hackett repeat the same dialogue each time we do something different to the Krogans, Salarians, Geth, Quarian, etc. Oh and green glowing eyes in EVERY SCENE.

So, I think it is safe to say, I am satisfied. Not with Mass Effect 3, but with the event that I am willing to put this behind me one last time. And no, the Leviathan DLC will NOT be included. Because it will just make things worse, it will not effect the endings whatsoever, and it will make do difference whatsoever.

Goodnight everyone.
    I am clinically insane.