Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Mass Effect 3 review (contains spoilers)

Concerning my thoughts and views on this game, I am rather severely disappointed. Not in just the endings, but they are vitally the problem in this game. But the fact that they hyped this game up to make it a kickass conclusion and offering promises that weren't kept, made me actually resent this altogether. Hell it made me physically ill that I couldn't find pleasure in videogaming for the whole weekend in which I bought it.

Gameplay has been, of course dumbed down again. But worse! I accepted Mass Effect 2 just because it tried new things. Mass Effect 3 was just a copy paste of 2 but less than intractable.
    There are basically little RPG elements then in the previous titles. It's just another cover based Gears of War shooter copy that doesn't try anything innovative or new. Same goes for the powers and weapon mods. It's like they tried to put ME2 and ME1's inventory and customization that ended up being an Alpha Protocol but less fun.

Exploration was very very disappointing. I am ashamed that Bioware had the integrity of even removing exploration all together. Forget the fact that there are sidequests! They do NOT count! All there is are the N7 missions and revisiting old squad mates. (Or just new characters who are war assets since they will be available anyway you look at it.) It's like they are punishing us for complaining about this. After coursing through ME2's mining mini game which mind you sucked, I would had liked that back instead of virtually nothing at all. It's been reduced to scanning and picking up War Assets for your fleet.
    Hell, I still miss the Mako exploring a large open world because that in Mass Effect
    1 made the ME universe big. All it is now is just eye candy and pew pewing at the enemies whenever you are on planets. The maps and levels are terribly linear, they didn't even promise us to have the ability to explore new planets, and having just annoying repetitive combat experiences and interactions got very tedious and boring.

Speaking of interactions, there's technically almost none whatsoever in regards to RPG. Unlike Mass Effect 2 where you can still explore around other planets that of course, are hubs for missions and stores, we are stuck and reverted to the Citadel. I always did enjoy the same fucking places over and over again. Was it bigger and better than Mass Effect 1? Maybe.
    Better than Mass Effect 2? Yeah. But is this the ONLY hub besides the other planets where I have to fucking shop and take on missions? (And those missions are the same 'exploration' system addressed in the above) There's almost little to no variety whatsoever. Even with planets not invaded by
    Reapers, we can't even simply walk upon the surface without getting blasted by enemies left and right in waves.

Now the last and everyone's favorite complained topic! The Endings.

This is fact: The endings suck. Period. Even the simplest of minds can tell you that. They made this entire game universe and world where your choices are suppose to matter. Everything you did and do from the previous titles to this one affects the fate of the galaxy and the endings. I do not want to hear the same lame ass excuses you have to defend these endings. I don't want a 'brighter' ending, I don't want a 'darker' ending, I don't want a fucking 'happy' or anything ending, I want a logical explanatory and comprehending ending that offers a variety of what it's supposed to offer. Instead, they are virtually the same endings, just branching off in different outcomes. It left us with completely vague and disappointing conclusions. There are massive plot holes that could make Clock Tower 2 hide in shame. It also left even more questions than it did with answers. WHO made the Reapers? Who made this fucking ghostly computer child? WHAT IS THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE FUCKING CHILD?! WHY DOES HE MATTER!? *takes a deep breath* and the purpose... by god the purpose is the most ugly, illogical and unsatisfying motive the Reapers have. It's just illogical and doesn't make any sense! Killing and turning organics into hybrids just to save them from their own creations from wiping them out? The fact that the Geth and Quarians in my game, actually made peace is reason enough that the Reaper's solutions are flawed. Even for a self aware AI, something like Sunny from I robot would find fault and flaws with this logic.

Mass Effect 3 came so far, yet pushed away everything that was supposed to be Mass Effect. Even worse, they offered no explanation and nothing in return for all that hard work and entertainment we get. No answers, no logical explanations, none nadda. Just a Deus Ex knock off endings that are the same. The same. Damn. Thing. It's like, pick your color. Hell I like Synthesis ending and even destroy and control. But don't make them the primary endings. Don't make them occur without reason or explanation. I do not care for these endings. Especially after uniting the galaxy together to fight against the Reapers, having the Mass Relays destroyed and sending the Galaxy into the Dark Ages just doesn't tell us what's the fate at all! What will happen next? What the fuck did this accomplish? Where is the epilogue or outcomes of our actions? Who wrote this shit?

Disappointing, poorly written and unsatisfying; I do not think Mass Effect 3 became the game I sought.
    OH BOY LOOK AT THESE RATINGS!

Cleveland, New York, Atlanta, Amudsun Scott, and Apollo, name it, I'm there.

This is war, survival is your responsibility.

If the theory is correct and Bioware intended for DLC - fuck them. Seriously, this is some really shitty business ethics and Bioware should be fucking ashamed of themselves for extorting their fan base into giving them more money. It's immoral and really fucking stupid.

If the theory is correct and Bioware didn't intend for DLC - it's still bad writing. There's plenty of ways to hint at and execute these kinds of ideas, but Bioware just couldn't make it happen. Not to mention that it would mean that Sheppard is just lying somewhere bleeding while the Reapers are destroying everything - doesn't make for a very satisfying ending either.

If the theory is wrong - Fuck you Bioware. You guys suck, and I hope your fan base abandons you for how you treat them.

Quote Originally Posted by Victory View Post
    If the theory is correct and Bioware intended for DLC - fuck them. Seriously, this is some really shitty business ethics and Bioware should be fucking ashamed of themselves for extorting their fan base into giving them more money. It's immoral and really fucking stupid.

If the theory is correct and Bioware didn't intend for DLC - it's still bad writing. There's plenty of ways to hint at and execute these kinds of ideas, but Bioware just couldn't make it happen. Not to mention that it would mean that Sheppard is just lying somewhere bleeding while the Reapers are destroying everything - doesn't make for a very satisfying ending either.

If the theory is wrong - Fuck you Bioware. You guys suck, and I hope your fan base abandons you for how you treat them.
    With all the commotion running around on the fanbase and the Social Network, I think it wouldn't be long till they do abandon them.

And this is beyond bad writing, this is beyond anything that I ever saw in videogames. And they have the nerve to justify this on 'professional reviews' and defend it with 'artistic integrity.'

NON-NEGOTIABLE ENJOYMENT! Wadling's Avatar

I enjoyed the game, just like I did numbers one and two, perhaps slightly more than one and less than two. Then the ending came along, and I was confused and a bit angry for a while. After thinking about it for some time I was impressed when I realized that
    Spoiler for The Ending:
    the Reapers actually made me choose (by my own free will) to do exactly what I'd just killed the Illusive Man for trying to do not five minutes ago.
    But aside from that, the ending is inexcusable and could have been handled so much better, whether the Indoctrination theory is correct or not.

Is it wrong for me to say that Bioware's games makes me want to commit suicide now? XD

This is the only FPS( RPG, where? ) I actually play so it was okay, and I enjoyed it. Yes the ending sucks and they cheated out on it and one those stock photos of theirs (official tali as far as I am concerned), but it honestly would have had a lot of people talking happily about all the good parts, only really enjoyable if you played the other games. This one seems like it was made exclusively for people who played the other two, unlike Mass Effect 2, most of the game gave the feel of closing up the loose ends. That was what people wanted.

The problem starts with a sudden laser beam and then everything stops making sense and rage and EA stocks (finally) start to crash. To many questions suddenly appearing for a ending. I would probibly have never thought to ask so many questions if the ending had to do with just pushing a button to start it up and then Sheperd dying from bleeding out along with Anderson lead it feeling meaningful then have the reapers go through the light color of death. Sure it would still be a lie to everyone that the ending would have a affect on how things turn out but at least it would feel like a closing that reaper kid screwed it all up. If there is a continuation DLC, it sure as hell better be free or even more refunds will appear.
    Man rule 48. Any dispute lasting any longer than 3 minutes must be settled by rock, paper, scissors.

You guys have already pretty much covered what I have to say about the game but on the subject of stock images, does this look familiar?:

Quote Originally Posted by Mastersarge Redux View Post
    Is it wrong for me to say that Bioware's games makes me want to commit suicide now? XD
    It's needless hyperbole that undermines the actual moral transgression, but I can only say its wrong if you actually don't want to die... Which I'm pretty sure you don't, so yeah - you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattbot View Post
    You guys have already pretty much covered what I have to say about the game but on the subject of stock images, does this look familiar?:

http://i39.tinypic.com/vo3c0m.jpg
    Very familiar. But it's not the only one I saw.

It's needless hyperbole that undermines the actual moral transgression, but I can only say its wrong if you actually don't want to die... Which I'm pretty sure you don't, so yeah - you're wrong.
    Good to know. I feel so much better.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...index/10342229
    Suit yourself, feel free to help.
    "All moments are fleeting, just like all love is true." Victory

Quote Originally Posted by Mattbot View Post

You know unlike the tali rip off, this actually has a large deal of differences, the big planets in the background are similar but a lot of sci-fi pictures have stuff like that. It's white ground but it actually is more textured. Even if it was ripped off, its a different angle with different tree placement and added effect. That is what many textures using in games are anyway, pictures they got that they edited until they worked. It's to different for it to be noticeable unless they flat out admitted it, same concept but looks like at most the stargazer one was more based on then ripped off.
    Man rule 48. Any dispute lasting any longer than 3 minutes must be settled by rock, paper, scissors.

Yeah when I first saw the two side by side I noticed how different they are, still a fun find though :3 If it was a photoshop job then at least they put more effort into this than they did the tali photo, gah so cheap
    Last edited by Mattbot; March 23rd, 2012 at 06:19 PM.

As I said, this is tali as far as I am concerned.

Yeah that's a nice find regardless, looks cool.

It never made any sense to me how dense Shepard kind of became in the culmination of three. He's sitting there being told by the ghost child that synthetics and organics can never live and work together, and it never occurred to him to point out the fucking window where exactly that is currently happening?

In my mind they should have never attempted to make a Reaper origin story. They were much better left as some dark malevolent mysterious force. Any attempts to say where they came from would have been stupid. I did not like the ghost child arc one bit, it didn't make sense. The exception being if you believe the Indoctrination Theory, in which case it's really really well written. Sadly I think the Indoctrination Theory will turn out to be nothing more than one of those fan-theories that isn't canon, but is better written than the actual original writing.

I could care less about the stock photo of Tali though. I hated the Quarians, they were dickholes. It was so tempting to just tell the Geth to blow the fuck out of the migrant flotilla and be done with them.

EDIT: I'm lazy, so this sums up my feelings almsot word for word regarding the narrative.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H_A7...eature=related

I will say that those people who go on about how this makes BioWare a bad company and that Mass Effect has been ruined, fuck off you entitled shits. The games are still good, that hasn't been changed. That being said, the ending of 3 doesn't define the Trilogy for me at all. Mass Effect kind of seems like a game of not what happens when you get there, but how the story/journey and your decisions got you there. It's going to be the same destination, but each journey was different. Or something, oh fuck it.
    Last edited by Calvey; March 24th, 2012 at 11:23 AM.

I can't really say anything about the game that hasn't been said, so fuck that. I will say, however, it's hilarious to bitchslap enemies into oblivion as a Krogan on multiplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawl View Post
    I will say that those people who go on about how this makes BioWare a bad company and that Mass Effect has been ruined, fuck off you entitled shits. The games are still good, that hasn't been changed. That being said, the ending of 3 doesn't define the Trilogy for me at all. Mass Effect kind of seems like a game of not what happens when you get there, but how the story/journey and your decisions got you there. It's going to be the same destination, but each journey was different. Or something, oh fuck it.
    Ok I'm gonna have to stop ya right there: It's not about entitlement, it's about how large the flaws Bioware has made over the course of three years. It happened with Dragon Age 2, and it happened with Mass Effect 3, and any attempt to try and rebuild what they broken through the media is just beating a dead horse. And here's why.

1. Endings often do define the trilogy; providing enough closure, a logical and conclusive ending that does not conflict with the concept and the lore of Mass Effect. If it left more questions and no answers, leaving out plotholes and the concept ruined everything about what Mass Effect was about, then it affects the entire outlook of the trilogy that lead up to it.

2. Gameplay dumbed down again. In Dragon Age 2, it was horrendously executed. So has the story that went completely out of focus in under three 'arcs' as some people would say. It's another 'one button that does everything' game where it focuses on the action orientated players and leaving behind the core audience the first game focused on. And it left repetitive copy pasted dungeons where you just repeat the same attacks over and over again and again. Seriously I don't understand why they have to amp up the combat animation, mechanics when it is technically completely useless in regards to large highly structured RPGs. It's all eye candy but that's just me. The same happened with Mass Effect 3 but drastically dumbed down. Combat remains the same as Mass Effect 2. So was most interactions, side quests and promises that weren't kept.
    They said there will be more exploration. There's no exploration whatsoever. The whole purpose of those so called 'side quests' was gaining war assets to help you in the fight against the reapers. You don't technically land on most of the planets to do those missions! Save for those where you revisit old squadmates, ect ect. Despite how terrible the mining minigame was in ME2, I would had that instead of nothing at all. Hell I would even take back the jittery Mako riding over rough terrain. It was something, it felt like the game's universe was big after all.
    Everything is just a bitch slap after another. Bioware says they are 'listening' to their fan when really they just gave them all a big middle finger.

I will say that those people who go on about how this makes BioWare a bad company and that Mass Effect has been ruined, fuck off you entitled shits.
    Well, since you asked so nicely for it:

Fuck off yourself. What they've done with this game is unquestionably bad business ethics. It's downright immoral to make a game that is incomplete for the purpose of making extra cash patching a broken game with content we should've been entitled to in the first place. The From Ashes DLC is on the disk - there's no excusing that - and the ending negates EVERYTHING that the series has previously been about. It's just a shit ending, and guess what - endings do matter. In fact, psychologically, the beginning and the ending are the 2 parts that we pay the most attention to - that we remember most - which is why they're so vitally important!

The fact that Bioware are taunting their fans with vague promises of an extra Epilogue - that we probably have to pay for, to boot - is fucking disgusting and I'm not the bigger asshole here for being upset you bigoted, self-righteous cunt. See, I can string insults together too.

The games are still good, that hasn't been changed.
    The games were never good so if they are good now by some magic then that definitely changed somewhere down the line. Now I'll just get this out there right off the bat - I didn't play the game - what they've done with the game and the ending is so insulting to their fans - not to mention their "stop being unreasonable," response to criticism - that I'm taking a stand on this issue regardless.

That being said, the ending of 3 doesn't define the Trilogy for me at all.
    That's good for you, but I want you to partake in a little experiment. I want you to google "mass effect 3 ending," and see how many websites have articles - or indeed several articles for some websites - on how shit the ending is and how important the ending was to them. Then go on to read the comments. You'll find the occasional person saying they liked the ending, or that they didn't care, but most of them really did care that the series ended well.

Now, "well" doesn't necessarily mean "happily ever after," but here's a suggestion - how about not making the ending render the entire series pointless and stupid? Like it or not, endings ARE a definitive part of a story. A good ending can change how we remember and reflect upon a story and the characters, while a bad ending can completely ruin an otherwise enjoyable and intelligent narrative. Like the movie Tangled that completely contradicted itself at the end, rendering all of it completely fucking pointless regardless of how good the movie was.

Mass Effect kind of seems like a game of not what happens when you get there, but how the story/journey and your decisions got you there. It's going to be the same destination, but each journey was different. Or something, oh fuck it.
    Uhm... What? So that all your choices and all your investment in the series ultimately amounted to a rigid, static "Fuck You" for your efforts doesn't bother you? The entire point of cause and effect is the fucking effect! Having a story where choices are supposed to affect the outcome and then having a fixed outcome completely betrays the entire point of the story. What it all boils down to is ultimately an wholly unsatisfying, clichéd ending with some minute ultimately insignificant variations. Now I can think of several good endings where the hero sacrifices himself, or where everyone just fucked dies, but this? Not in your fucking dreams.

Speaking of dreams; regarding the indoctrination theory, does this ring any bells for anyone? Yeah.

NON-NEGOTIABLE ENJOYMENT! Wadling's Avatar

Mass Effect kind of seems like a game of not what happens when you get there, but how the story/journey and your decisions got you there.
    You're right, that's what it seems like up until the moment when you realise that the ending is almost exactly the same regardless of which route you went down in regards to the huge number of choices you make throughout the trilogy.

I will say that those people who go on about how this makes BioWare a bad company and that Mass Effect has been ruined, fuck off you entitled shits.
    Yeah screw those guys, how dare they expect effort and thought to be put into an ending, an ending that BioWare promised wouldn't be just a choice of A, B or C. I wouldn't say that the entire trilogy has been ruined, but it's certainly soured the third game for me. I replayed the first and second games multiple times, but I have absolutely no desire to do the same with three. The ending may not define the trilogy for you, and it doesn't for me, but it certainly defines the third game.

I think I can sum this all up nicely with a single sentence.

Mass Effect 3 is SRS BZNS U GUISE!!!1!

You know, does it depress anyone else that the ending was so bad that people would have been making theory's that it was all in his head and never really happened? Normally writers get kicked in the gut for making a dream or something as a opening or closing for books and games. Dreams that nobody can realize at first is a dream tends to be a no-no in writing because it tends to lead to a lot of pissed off people. (indoctrination theory is basically a theory that it was all a dream in his head.)

Quote Originally Posted by Zolen View Post
    You know, does it depress anyone else that the ending was so bad that people would have been making theory's that it was all in his head and never really happened? Normally writers get kicked in the gut for making a dream or something as a opening or closing for books and games. Dreams that nobody can realize at first is a dream tends to be a no-no in writing because it tends to lead to a lot of pissed off people. (indoctrination theory is basically a theory that it was all a dream in his head.)
    It's funny when you think about it. But... nevermind I already made that argument a hundred times. XD but a lot of people would accept that over these endings.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-L View Post
    I think I can sum this all up nicely with a single sentence.

Mass Effect 3 is SRS BZNS U GUISE!!!1!
    Fo' sho'.

I clearly should have gone into more detail as I didn't convey my full opinion very well at all. That's completely my fault...

The From Ashes DLC is on the disk - there's no excusing that - and the ending negates EVERYTHING that the series has previously been about.
    From my understanding the whole DLC isn't just sitting on there in a locked box, there are apparently small elements of it on the disk to enable better integration with the base game. I'm not a programmer so I don't know exactly how this works, but if it was on the disk then what the hell was my Collector's Edition downloading on my shitty NZ internet for so long?

That actually brings up another point I've been finding interesting to read about. The extremely polarizing argument over the DLC content. Now BioWare has said From Ashes was developed in the two-ish month window after the game was given gold status and sent to EA. Whether this is a true position, I have no idea, and neither does anyone else but I'm basing the rest of this on that being the case.

So we have a scenario where it has to be DLC. What I want to know is, do people just still have a problem with DLC content or is the fact that this was Day 1 DLC, which was a really really stupid marketing move on BioWare/EA's part. You have immediate free access to it with the Collector's edition, and you have to purchase it with the standard edition. That still makes sense to me Collector's Editions have always existed and they've always given those who invested in it extra rewards or perks. Now I can completely acknowledge the problem here though that From Ashes is a narrative heavy part of the Mass Effect story, as opposed to say getting some free in game items that don't really make a substantial difference or impact to the game, so it does make sense why some people are very jaded by it. There are two ways I would have done/would have expected BioWare to handle this better:

1. Release From Ashes before the main game as bridging/teaser content, lets say 2-3 months before release. From a marketing standpoint I could see this going down reasonably well, provided it was low priced (with EA backing that would be unlikely I know). This wouldn't help the argument of why it isn't included as just part of the full game though.

2. They do something similar to the Cerberus Network downloads from ME2. That way you have a system that rewards your fans for buying new, as opposed to locking fans out who don't buy more straight away. This also gives you a platform to stagger the release. CE buyers could have immediate free acces, standard edition buyers could get it for free at a later date. Those that wanted immediate access otherwise could have the choice to purchase it. On the whole, everyone will win.

To me it isn't a problem the DLC exists, it's the piss poor way they handled the release of it.

I'm not the bigger asshole here for being upset you bigoted, self-righteous cunt. See, I can string insults together too.
    Settle the flying fuck down. I do agree that the ending is not that good, hence why I posted something else that explained it better and more interesting than myself with a wall of text. I have issues with it from a narrative standpoint, but what I'm not going to do is burst out into a massive tantrum and attack BioWare or their creative staff directly. There's a massive difference between criticizing the ending the the obvious flaws it presents, as opposed to "Fuck Casey Hudson he should die"/"I'm never ever dealing with BioWare again"/"All the the Mass Effect games/universe/content has now been ruined for me forever" carry on which is even more common. That kind of shit is just childish, and that's who I'm directing who should fuck off and calm down. Not the people actually trying to have their criticisms heard. That's my opinion on the fans in general, not necessarily anyone here.

And bigoted, seriously? The Quarians can still fuck off, but that's their problem.

The games were never good so if they are good now by some magic then that definitely changed somewhere down the line. Now I'll just get this out there right off the bat - I didn't play the game - what they've done with the game and the ending is so insulting to their fans - not to mention their "stop being unreasonable," response to criticism - that I'm taking a stand on this issue regardless.
    So you don't like Mass Effect or play them? Well then if you're not a fan, why do you care what happens with the ending? It doesn't affect you either way, unless I understood this wrong? If I did correct me. I enjoyed the games, and that's my opinion. If you didn't like them that's yours, I've got no problem with that. BioWare's current stance isn't "stop being unreasonable", Hudson, Muzyka and others have acknowledged the outcry and stated they've been saddened by the backlash and want to work with the fanbase to 'fix' where the game went wrong.

Now whether this turns out to be a pivotal moment in the gaming industry where the fans actually had enough unified power to sway a publisher, or is just a shallow 'buy the extra ending for $10' we'll see. I don't think BioWare is as stupid as people are currently throwing at them, but for now we just have to wait and see if it's akin to the shitty way UbiSoft handled the Prince of Persia 2008 missing chapters after everyone complained about that ending.

Google things, the ending blows, 10 reasons why you suck and should die and I hate you.
    What makes you think I didn't? I wouldn't voice my opinion on this at all if I thought it was ignorant or I hadn't played through the game myself to make my own. I never once said I thought the ending was good in itself, I think once you get to the Citadel the Star Child arc is just lazy and boring. As I said before the child itself is an ass-pull at the 11th hour. They should have never gone into the origin story of the Reapers, at least not in the game where it's forced to be something stupid for time purposes. They were much more frightening as a mysterious malevolent force than, we created them to kill you to stop you from being killed. Christ even if the origin story was they were AI's created by the Protheans who rose up against their creators, who are just flat out evil bastards, and this is being reflected again by the rise of the Geth would have been better.

Now going into detail on the endings, this is just my opinion. I don't have any problem with the choices that were presented, they make narrative sense and are good options. HOWEVER, it locks you into the narrative of agreeing with this Ghost Child thing, which is no way good at all. You should be able to outright go against these options as well. If I was to try and separate them out myself (ignoring the fact I hate the ghost child);

Ghost Child Alliance:
    - Destroy the Reapers. This would be the blunt hammer attack, you destroy the Reapers and break the cycle forever, but in the process you do end up destroying the Mass Relays and cause the sacrifice of everyone else. You win, but at a huge cost.
    - Control the Reapers. This could be the ending of self-sacrifice in which Shepard assimilates himself into the Reaper cycle. You avoid the destruction of Earth at present, but the cycle will continue as Shepard becomes corrupted and indoctrinated into the cycle, likely become the next Sovereign or Harbinger. If this has any affect, you'd have to see in the next cycle. Or if Shepard was simply lost for the sake of the present.
    - Synthesis. Shepard's ditch attempt at stopping the purpose of the Reapers existence, but in the process creates a forced unification across the galaxy. I kind of see this being like J C Denton's Helios AI plan at the end of Invisible War.

Ghost Child Betrayal:
    - You fight against the Reapers, this would then span off into similar but different endings depending on the fate of Shepard, who would survive, what races would fall, etc.

Endings where you fail:
    - You fight, but weren't strong enough and lose.
    - Shepard does get indoctrinated and turns against earth.
    - Shepard accepts the fight was never winnable (Place this scene say after Anderson's final moments following the showdown with TIM).
    - Shepard has the option of siding with the Reapers to attempt self-preservation (much like Saren did)

Endings I hate and am glad aren't/shouldn't be included:
    - You're on a beach with Garrus and Anderson drinking beer saying how glad you are you won.
    - You and Tali/Liara/Miranda/EDI/Joker/Garrus/etc go off and have babies and bake bread.
    - Shepard becomes president of the galaxy.

I don't really care how much some people would have wanted endings like that, in my opinion they would have just been stupid and fitted even less with the story. Albeit, yes this is coming from what I think the story should be, other people probably would see it very differently. Which I guess was kind of the initial point of the ME project.

Just adding different directions with different consequences in addition to keeping the original 'artist's choice' ending would have greatly improved over what basically was a decent, but lacking, set up. I'm also ignoring the crash of the Normandy because there's no way I can figure out what the hell that was about or how it fits in with anything I said.

The only ending I could have seen actually working in full, and I'm surprised isn't the actual ending, was in the vein of this one; http://arkis.deviantart.com/art/Mass...LERS-289902125
    However this rely's primarily on a cut-scene based ending outside of final player control, which I don't think would have gone down well either with a lot of people due to a hands-off and watch the story approach.

As much as I like the Indoctrination Theory and how cool the initial video makes it look, there is no way that is what BioWare planned. Mass Effect has been way to blunt-force in it's writing for it to suddenly switch to a plethora of really subtle narrative threads. It's obvious Shepard is fighting against indoctrination as it is, but if he was fighting in his own mind or was indoctrinated they would have had Tali/Liara/Anderson/etc telling him to "Be stronger" much like Shepard did to Saren and TIM.

Now, just a point in defense of BioWare. I do feel coming to the an ending that was 'supposed to' be determined by your decisions across three games they wrote themselves into a corner where they would have to make executive canon decisions regarding what player choices are considered good and bad in order to create an ending direction. Say you'd made decisions throughout the games like, killing Wrex, saving the Collector base and not curing the genophage, because at the time they seemed like the best decisions to you. Then those decisions factor into an ending that can never be good. You've been pushed into a narrative corner where you can't win against the Reapers and have to make a different choice, likely from the Ghost Child's options and to change that you'd have to either play all the games again from ME1 or begin a default ME3 game. I can see just as much backlash from the fanbase for something like that than what is already there. I'm not excusing it, I can just see how BioWare probably fucked themselves over. There's always going to be a degree of narrative canon that you have to follow that the writer's want, otherwise I'd have chosen to side with Saren and see how much I could fuck up the universe for the hell of it in ME1. It's the same reason that you can end ME2 with Shepard's death. Canonically, if that's your ending then there is no ME3. I'd be very interested in other people's takes on this.

But, despite my criticisms of it, I'm not going to jump on the popular bandwagon, go back and be all well the 30 hours of fun I actually had so far is now rendered completely moot and think whole game/series now sucks because it didn't and BioWare should commit mass suicide. I think people who are acting like that are just plain being childish, the end. I have to give ME3 a lot of credit for it's ambition and being one of the first games that actually really invested into some of the characters, to the point their deaths were actually really heartbreaking (Mordin's betrayal death is just truly saddening). For me it was like the ending of Deus Ex: HR. The ending for that was so bad it felt like they just stopped making the game. That doesn't make me no longer enjoy actually playing it though. I will give credit where I think it's due and give criticism in the same vein.

Yes BioWare has fucked up. They've pretty much have admitted as much by this point. What that means they'll do we just have to wait and see. I'm aware I'm being very very nice in giving the benefit of the doubt and them credit for at least seeming like they give a shit about what the fans are saying. If they do something really stupid, I pull that credit back really really fast. Now if they return and add on additional potential endings and charge for the, I will likely join the ranks of those criticizing them, because I will agree that is just and outright piss poor way to spit in the face of fans after giving the impression you were working with them.
    Last edited by Calvey; March 25th, 2012 at 12:04 AM.

From the ashes exist on the disk, oh yes, I looked into the code and tested it as well, but, most of it is missing, if you unlock what exist in the disk, all it is, is the squad member, he is automatically in your squad choice list, and says the banter, but the mission is never unlocked, he does not appear at the end of the game, nor can you interact with him on the ship (he is not there, but the door is unlocked) also all the other items you would get from the DLC are not on there. I can believe that it was not finished before the game was sent out, but why not do like ME2, made it free content for buying the game new. Or make it where you have to buy it if you buy a used copy, it works out well and BW makes money to make up a little for the used copys people might buy.