Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Jukebox View Post
    The thing is, I don't want to be confident about it. I know that I am homosexual and I accept it. I cannot, however, take the criticism that will come with it if I tell those that I am close to. I accept that I am a coward, but I truthfully do not know how to make myself come through with being brave enough.
    So what do you want us to do? Go up to your parents and make them accept this concept?

Or do you wish to take your secret to the grave until somebody during or after your lifetime finds out about it? That way, you don't have to tell your parents face-to-face.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyemdi View Post
    So what do you want us to do? Go up to your parents and make them accept this concept?

Or do you wish to take your secret to the grave until somebody during or after your lifetime finds out about it? That way, you don't have to tell your parents face-to-face.
    Oh, none of that. I'm asking for advice, or a little help. Many of you have given me lots of that, and I thank you all. Some of your advice may just work, but I don't think I can do anything until I overcome my fear of reaction.

Ah OK, then no problem. Don't worry, you will eventually. Some things take time.

If your afraid to tell friends or family, then try looking into one of the many groups that have been made on the subject, might be helpful at the very least to hear about some of the ways people who actually would have gone through what you are going through and how they handled it.
    Man rule 48. Any dispute lasting any longer than 3 minutes must be settled by rock, paper, scissors.

Apostolic Moderator
    One Time Chess Champion

If you think you can do it convincingly, I would try to engage your parents in a purely hypothetical dialogue on the Nature of their prejudices, their reasoning for it, and how they would respond if someone close to them turned out to be gay. I don't think it would be a good idea to jump straight to coming out, if you think there's any chance it could turn dangerous.

If this causes you to feel stifled at home I think you should also find a personal friend to come out to, confide in, and seek further advice from. (Assuming you haven't done that already.)
    Quote Originally Posted by C. S. Lewis
    When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

Quote Originally Posted by Varthonai View Post
    If you think you can do it convincingly, I would try to engage your parents in a purely hypothetical dialogue on the Nature of their prejudices, their reasoning for it, and how they would respond if someone close to them turned out to be gay. I don't think it would be a good idea to jump straight to coming out, if you think there's any chance it could turn dangerous.

If this causes you to feel stifled at home I think you should also find a personal friend to come out to, confide in, and seek further advice from. (Assuming you haven't done that already.)
    I have told a few friends who have faithfully kept silent. I do, however, think that that my secret may come out whether I like it or not. Anytime I think of hypothetical situations, I come up with this:
    ''Hi Mum and Dad, I have a friend who's gay and he's really scared to come out to his parents because he fears that their prejudice will come onto him which sparked him to go on the Internet and ask a few people how to come out to his parents. After reading the latest suggestion, he is currently saying the same speech to them that I am telling you now.''

After reading the latest suggestion, he is currently saying the same speech to them that I am telling you now.''
    Full of win.
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax.

Good luck...
    DQ's medical advisor.
    "What is food to one is to others bitter poison" - Titus Lucretius Carus

DQ wannabe Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    That his parents shall not pass?
    Yep Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkCat View Post
    Full of win.
    I 2nd that!

After reading the latest suggestion, he is currently saying the same speech to them that I am telling you now.''
    Looks like you know what to do now.