Register

Default Required XIV - Critical Thinking (Philosophy Lessons)

"To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax.

"To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics

Rude and arrogant! But why? Flashlight's Avatar

My brain feels molested.

Apostolic Moderator One Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar

I kind of hope that the later videos are being deliberately full of holes to see if you were paying attention during the earlier ones.

But I doubt it.
    Part 2 of World Without Wind in progress.

Current Update: Linda, having discovered a mysterious key, attempts to re-locate the mysterious keyhole she saw earlier.

Go for it.

DQ 1337 Member

This wasn't really required viewing. Sure, it makes us realize, but it's something we subconsciously already know through common sense. I can't see how knowing this in solid form is of any use to us.

Other than that, the videos are pretty entertaining.
    Last edited by Tyemdi; March 5th, 2012 at 05:59 PM.

I'm a level 22 Buttbuttin Killing_Time's Avatar

You'd be very, very surprised at how many people don't know how to argue and will throw all the wrong stuff at you.

Excellent videos. I already knew some stuff before, but I learned some new things. Kudos, DC.
    Knowledge is power - and power is hilarious

DQ 1337 Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killing_Time View Post
    You'd be very, very surprised at how many people don't know how to argue and will throw all the wrong stuff at you.
    Then I guess I have not considered other people's capabilities in the equation.

When it comes to arguments/discussions, I mostly choose to stay out of them unless I am very sure about what I am talking about.

Apostolic Moderator One Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkCat View Post
    Go for it.
    Go for what? Continuing to hope? Continuing to doubt?

Current Update: Linda, having discovered a mysterious key, attempts to re-locate the mysterious keyhole she saw earlier.

Tear the videos a new one. As far as I'm aware they are genuine attempts to teach middle school children critical thinking.

It sets very nuanced standards that border on mixed messages. You can't trust your own experiences or inconclusive evidence, but you also can't wait too long for stronger evidence before making judgments? I think that middle school children who actually need to be educated about critical thinking would find this confusing.

I also don't like how it discards very useful tools for analyzing the reliability of a source. Reserving judgment on new findings by a person or organization that has repeatedly betrayed your trust or just generally lacks credentials and impartiality isn't critical thinking so much as poor pattern recognition. Not every claim deserves your attention.

I also have kind of a general problem with the inverse, this common encouragement not to trust anything until you've determined it to be true yourself, it seems almost solipsistic and it's never going to be effective until we are all post-technology-singularity cyberpeople. Discoveries are made by standing on the shoulders of giants, and no one person knows, or can know, the entire pool of human scientific knowledge, let alone the potentially-infinite pool of knowledge in the universe. We all have to trust the work of others somewhere down the line.

Those were quite entertaining, nice find DC