Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Review (SKYRIM)

Default Review (SKYRIM)

Wasup guys tell me what you think of the new elder scrolls.

I thought it was really good game the graphics where great the characters stood out storyline okay environment was awesome weapons improved and Armour and the way the AI speak to you and the amount of stuff you can do in the game so much detail.

now to the bad points there was lack on the main storyline it was to short.
    there are hardley wood elves and high elves in the game.
    you stay with bad Armour throughout the game intill you get your smiting up.
    your health goes down way to quick even on easy it also takes years to make money.

kinda langs a bit when you have full HD put on your tv and what the game can take.

Besides that i give the game a 8/10

this was a short review i will do a full review about a game some other time
    Last edited by LDX R3AP3R; January 3rd, 2012 at 06:34 PM.

That's a bit of a lazy review, with a bit of ignoring of lore of the game (there is a very big reason for the lack of elves in Skyrim if you read the lore.) Also "AI" is not correct, that would imply that the program improves as time goes on of its own accord based on what it learns rather then following a list of commands set to a line of possible reactions, which is all games do. AI currently is not considered possible with current technology.

Here is what I think

Plot as I saw it:
    Like a new found tradition you start out once again as a prisoner, with little hinting as to why your there other then being at the wrong place at the wrong time. While this might seem annoying to some, who like a little back-story. It is really the best way to go with a rpg. Where your back-story is what ever you want it to be, and the game just giving you a bit of help with what comes after that.

Then after a epic
    Spoiler for plot details:
    run away from a dragon with your tail between your legs, and a choice to side with the people who wanted to chop your head off or the people who turn out to be racist jerks who only want the Nords in Skyrim.
    your free to the world once again, to a icy wonderland of things that want to kill you. From here you can take arms in the war with either the Storm Cloaks to take back their kingdom, the Imperials and quell the uprising, the Forsworn and take back their own lands in their insane quest where they have lost all their morals, the champions as they hunt for honor, join the mages collage to learn about the magic arts, or just go around stealing the coins out of a few beggars pockets.

Like Oblivion, like Morrowwind, like Daggerfall, you can be who ever, and do what ever. Yet this game gives you a feeling like there are a few more "whatevers" then the games before, feeling "fuller".

Graphics as I see them:
    Honestly, while the place feels fuller then the last few games this company has made to me, it has not changed all that much graphics wise. The textures are nice and there are a few places I just wanted to screen cap because they look like they are photo worthy. But when you ever really look at the ground or a tree, its just flat on there, basic shapes never got far past basic in some places. Though as always its funny at the abuse of rag-doll physics that this game allows when you can throw a few enemy's into the sky just by swinging a sword hard enough at their corpse. Yet still my computer is not exactly new enough to enjoy the full look of the graphics of this game without the game crashing on load up so I really do not know how it looks at its best.

Armor and weapons as I see it:
    Armor and weapons really have not changed much, they look sometimes a bit different, yet really none of it has changed much in power, with a few new types to the mix mostly just to cover a few new groups, and perhaps cover areas they forgot to before. the main difference from this game to the last was that the better armors and weapons are harder to get a hold of. For example I have a sword I got about 3 hours into the game with about 25 damage, and so far after a half week of play, I have not found a weapon to upgrade with, despite being 20 levels higher then I was when I got it from the Champions. Yet honestly, while I like the idea of changing up once in a while, so far the weapon has not lost its usefulness and most of the time I can get plenty of versions of armor off the bodies of the people I kill in the game. Luckily, Skyrim though actually encourages mods, so adding on what you want is not hard, and actually the ease of modding for the game (eventually once the modding system is sent to the public, right now its kind of hard) along with how soon even gaming consoles will have it easier with their own downloading platform provided. So that little problem as one might see of lack of sword types or you just want something stronger (unbalance the game) you can make your own or enjoy the many weapons that have already been made by the modding community.

Magic as I saw it:
    Somewhat like Oblivion and maybe Morrowwind, healing spells are almost a must. Unless you like the idea of drinking so much healing potion that you could make a river fueled only by urine, your probibly going to at least invest a few points from leveling up in lowering the price of using it, since your going to find it hard to tempt yourself away from having a healing spell in a free hand until you have reached a pretty high level. Hits can take a lot out of you (I agree with LDX's complaint on health dropping a bit to fast) so no matter what you do the healing arts will be your best friend for a long time. As for everything else, Skyrim has somewhat improved the use of magic, but mostly only in allowing you to mix spells, but basically making it where in exchange for giving two hands for duel use of everything, spells will now take a hand making it impossible to use a two handed weapon and magic, unless you like switching to the pause menu a lot. Also now you can't make magic spells, you only really stick to the defaults of the game. As to how much I would call a improvement, I would say its kind of the same, where not many are tempted to take on a full mage, simply because its to easy to die against anyone who happens to like close combat, which is about 80% of your enemy's.
    Man rule 48. Any dispute lasting any longer than 3 minutes must be settled by rock, paper, scissors.

The only bad thing about the game I've seen are the occasional graphical bugs in the creature and people.
    DQ's medical advisor.
    "What is food to one is to others bitter poison" - Titus Lucretius Carus

DQ 1337 Member ...I'm not telling you!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rockonman View Post
    The only bad thing about the game I've seen are the occasional graphical bugs in the creature and people.
    Haha, to me that adds to the entertainment value I suppose. If you're strictly after atmosphere and realism, I suppose I'd understand why it'd upset, but to me it is just funny in it's essence. A glitch by right isn't but, Skyrim's glitches so far are all really funny for me. It almost seems as though they aren't glitches they're so perfect!
    Anyway LDX, if you intend on doing more reviews, I'd take a good look at Zolen's and other reviews in the Articles section. You could do with going into more detail in your points, with some explanation on why certain things do have the effects you comment on.

I've been playing it for weeks now. I've never really gotten into rpgs before, but I found this very compelling. Except for the ocassional NPC ally getting in your way right before your power attack finishes, wasting your stamina on them, and the infamous markarth gaurd glitch after completing cidna mine, I think this thing is worth game of the year. @zolen and LDX I've started a few different characters but what I find to be most effective is having light weapons and armor and getting your sneak really really high.
    Spoiler for plot details and epic nerdyness:

My Kajiit has his sneak on like level 87 or 89 i can't remember. I've got all but two perks in sneak. I got an ebony dagger off of Cicero after completing that side quest in the dark brotherhood quest line, and my perks let sneak attacks do friggin x15 damage with daggers. the ebony, after I improved in on the grindstone has an attack of 21 and a health leech enchantment. In case the sneak fails I get 8 points of health every hit. After all that, my dark brotherhood gloves do x2 sneak attack damage for 1 handed weapons giving the dagger a total of 30x damage. Now, my ebony dagger one hit kills just about everything I've been able to sneak up on including snow sabre cats and frost trolls, so who needs potions or the healing spell? XD Also, doing the breaking dawn quest for that talking statue got me the "Dawnbreaker." Best weapon to deal with the dragur.

As for my review, I think this game was the best game I could have picked to pop my RPG cherry and finally get me stoked about sharing specs and strategy. I seriously never thought I'd babble on like I just did in that spoiler.

Quote Originally Posted by codbarley View Post
    I've been playing it for weeks now. I've never really gotten into rpgs before, but I found this very compelling. Except for the ocassional NPC ally getting in your way right before your power attack finishes, wasting your stamina on them, and the infamous markarth gaurd glitch after completing cidna mine, I think this thing is worth game of the year. @zolen and LDX I've started a few different characters but what I find to be most effective is having light weapons and armor and getting your sneak really really high.
    Spoiler for plot details and epic nerdyness:

My Kajiit has his sneak on like level 87 or 89 i can't remember. I've got all but two perks in sneak. I got an ebony dagger off of Cicero after completing that side quest in the dark brotherhood quest line, and my perks let sneak attacks do friggin x15 damage with daggers. the ebony, after I improved in on the grindstone has an attack of 21 and a health leech enchantment. In case the sneak fails I get 8 points of health every hit. After all that, my dark brotherhood gloves do x2 sneak attack damage for 1 handed weapons giving the dagger a total of 30x damage. Now, my ebony dagger one hit kills just about everything I've been able to sneak up on including snow sabre cats and frost trolls, so who needs potions or the healing spell? XD Also, doing the breaking dawn quest for that talking statue got me the "Dawnbreaker." Best weapon to deal with the dragur.

As for my review, I think this game was the best game I could have picked to pop my RPG cherry and finally get me stoked about sharing specs and strategy. I seriously never thought I'd babble on like I just did in that spoiler.
    Don't worry about babbling, my post was originally only going to be 3 sentences long. : p
    Man rule 48. Any dispute lasting any longer than 3 minutes must be settled by rock, paper, scissors.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolen View Post
    Don't worry about babbling, my post was originally only going to be 3 sentences long. : p
    I hope i don't turn into one of those awkward smelly over weight people infesting the game design courses at my college because of this. I already sound like them now...>>

Quote Originally Posted by codbarley View Post
    I hope i don't turn into one of those awkward smelly over weight people infesting the game design courses at my college because of this. I already sound like them now...>>
    Spend 80% of your days walking/running, and nobody will notice.

(I will give the person who gets my reference 300 Internets, I doubt anyone saw/heard of the horrible movie I am thinking of.)

DQ 1337 Member Paperback Writer's Avatar

I'd rather have Zolen's post as the OP.

sorry for lame review its probably my worst review if i was to type a full review it would of took ages plus i was in a rush but yeh i can see your points.

Then don't do it in the first place, that was no excuse at all. Take yourself time and patience, don't rush it.
    Knowledge is power - and power is hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by LDX R3AP3R View Post
    sorry for lame review its probably my worst review if i was to type a full review it would of took ages plus i was in a rush but yeh i can see your points.
    What Shinoi said. Also, if you don't think yourself capable of making a full-fledged review, you could always transform what you had already typed as part of a simple "Skyrim" discussion thread instead which would revolve around the game much less then your review. Threads like these are implied to revolve more around your review as the center of attention, but since you didn't really make a good review you may have been better off making a Skyrim thread. Throw some trailers, and content along with that block of text, and you get a nice thread.

Take the above as advice for next time when you want to make a thread

Let me give you some friendly advice, as a new member on this forum you should take things a bit slowly. I noticed that most new members seem a bit overexcited, I was like that too.
    Also: your sentences need more grammar (dunno why I always take that so serious).
    music is what keeps me alive
    my deviantart

Yes, you can never have too much grammar. I, for one, prefer 7 units of grammar, as opposed to the more commonly accepted 6 units, because I'm just better than most people are, and that has to be reflected in how much grammar my sentence has. Remember, if you want to be a better person, get more grammar.

Good review. I hope to be playing this game very soon. That's if I can get it off my brother. I never know why grammar was a big deal on some websites. Don't hate me for that comment. Remember we both new to the site anyway. We just need to get use to everything. (The Rules)
    Last edited by BoneyHead95; January 2nd, 2012 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoneyHead95 View Post
    I never know why grammar was a big deal on some websites. Don't hate me for that comment. Remember we both new to the site anyway. We just need to get use to everything. (The Rules)
    It's a big deal when you can't read and understand poster's message. Reaper's grammar is quite okay, to be honest, but some people post such crap you don't know what they meant to say.
    Knowledge is power - and power is hilarious

Reaper has 4 units of grammar. It's better than nothing, but he needs to buy more. More grammar is more awesome.

That's why I leave Facebook. Because people just say crap on that website. But that's my point. If people know what he or she saying that should be fine with everyone.

Happy Days!

Quote Originally Posted by Rules of conduct View Post
    [*]Try your best with proper English grammar and spelling when posting!
    I'm just going to leave that there while I go out and hunt for more grammar.

That's why I leave Facebook. Because people just say crap on that website. But that's my point. If people know what he or she saying that should be fine with everyone.

Happy Days!
    Yes but there also comes the idea of appearance of the "review" while "just readable" technically works, "next to perfect" grammar makes you seem more competent/intelligent. After all, you don't go read a book that is "just readable" you read a book that is "next to perfect", no publisher would dare allow their name to be attached to a book with low grammar. Not only because it makes it challenging to read, but it makes the publishers look like they were to cheap/lazy to bother. If there exist a book with horrible grammar, it tends to be the crappy kind nobody reads longer then a few pages before regretting their buy.

Like I am going to be sure that I am going to regret this post when I read it later and notice the vast number of errors I left, inspiring people to possibly skip over some of what I said, and lowering the chance anyone will bother to read it as far again.

Quote Originally Posted by Victory View Post
    I'm just going to leave that there while I go out and hunt for more grammar.
    I think the joke has worn itself out.
    *glares antagonizingly, then runs away to medicate panic attack*

It's good that you tell me when jokes are not funny - I'll make sure to return the favor.

Back on topic - Skyrim consumed my entire life. There were stuff that were more or less subpar about the game. The controls aren't perfect, the jumping is atrocious and there's a lot of visual glitches. But Skyrim stood strong through all of it. There's nothing quite like a game that can not only compensate but also completely surpass its own flaws and create an experience that's extremely fulfilling, even when the games starts having a fucking seizure.

I never know why grammar was a big deal on some websites.
    It makes you look a LOT less stupid, members will respect you more, and coming into a forum and having your first post be "hai guiz wazzup in dis fukin plase? I g2g for a min. Peace. *plethora of smiley emoticons*" creates a terrible first impression for yourself. People will automatically think you are an ass that signed up here for the lols and will stop posting after a couple days. Sorry about that grammar micro rant there.

You really had that many video issues with it vic? I only had those random spikes where the rock textures stretched out randomly to the other wall in dungeons. I only had those when I had been playing for a while. then there was that one time when my ally got stuck in a fire pit and couldn't move, but the game recognized it and reset his position for me 30 seconds later.

I also think it's incredible they can put such a huge map, so many weapons, armor, spells, other junk and the ungodly amount of quests in the game into like 6 gigabytes, when a game like grand theft auto, where you cant even go inside half the buildings takes up almost 14 gigs. Although, gta probably has a lot of space taken up from all those buildings... I can't get out of my head how cool it is that they didn't skimp out and built the entire map without shortcuts. all those finite details just get me. the lack of HQ textures and the flat grass/trees is made up for by it.
    Last edited by codbarley; January 2nd, 2012 at 08:37 PM.

now to the bad points there was lack on the may storyline it was to short.
    oh my god please write more reviews that was fucking gold I am telling you

Haha hey madder, I was wondering where you've been. Disregarding LDX's sub-par review, what do you think of the game?