Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The day the free speech dies.

And I'm singing "bye, bye, your american rights
    First Amendment is just going to say its final goodbye"...

Okay, maybe, I am too pessimistic, but there is something to be pessimistic about: Intellectual Property laws.
    You remember the time when you could watch Youtube? Apparently, the time is about to be due. Or at least, in America.

The E-PARASITE( Enforcing and Protecting American Rights Against Sites Intent on Theft and Exploitation) act has just leaked out, and it looks like censorship is stronger than ever.
    Bullet points:
    • The "Safe Harbor" portion of DMCA is no more intact. Content providers aka Youtube, Facebook, whatever - are all liable for the content that is uploaded up to jailtime. Internet Destruction ahoy!
    • ISPs are obliged to comply with blacklist requests. Who does not get censorship in mind?
    • Also, the funding channels for "infringing sites" are obliged to comply with takedown notices, cutting funding off, without court reviewing, of course.
    • They are able to DNS-block infringing sites, circumventing the block is forbidden and punished by law.
    • Targets blocks and other measures to "foreign infringing sites" and sites "inducing infringement", other than the usual "dedicated to infringement" and the broad "having limited uses other than infringement".

Americans, vote for the fucking Pirate Party.

link
    *glares antagonizingly, then runs away to medicate panic attack*

This thing is so incompetently written that it's embarrassing. America truly is run by monkeys.

This law makes me feel better about my country.
    Knowledge is power - and power is hilarious

I hope it's understood that the act is incredibly unconstitutional, to the point that I can imagine the biggest backwards thinking luddite outside congress would not even consider it. This will die like the rest of the videogame/internet censorship acts. Even if it did pass there would be such an immediate resistance and rioting that a repeal would be inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-L View Post
    I hope it's understood that the act is incredibly unconstitutional, to the point that I can imagine the biggest backwards thinking luddite outside congress would not even consider it. This will die like the rest of the videogame/internet censorship acts. Even if it did pass there would be such an immediate resistance and rioting that a repeal would be inevitable.
    Please, let it be so, because I don't see any rioting on behalf of ACTA, and that was just 27 days ago.
    *glares antagonizingly, then runs away to medicate panic attack*

A country where everything is possible. Truly...
    "Bitches wit they own shit, we don' like golddiggers."
    -Bryson Tiller

I am strongly reminded of the "six strikes" plan.
    'All my followers shouldn't accept my teachers out of faith, but out of constant investigation.'

Oh, oh dear...

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-L View Post
    Well you see, the American Government can pass all the unconstitutional acts and laws it wants as long as they're "in the interest of national security." Not many congressmen will speak out against that.
    "Whats to understand about 'SWISH, SWISH, STAB'? Its a sword, dude, not a fighter jet."

Quote Originally Posted by jman1234 View Post
    Oh, oh dear...

Well you see, the American Government can pass all the unconstitutional acts and laws it wants as long as they're "in the interest of national security." Not many congressmen will speak out against that.
    I would say this is being presented as more in the interest of "commercial security" than "national security". Not that many U.S. representatives would speak out against that either.
    'All my followers shouldn't accept my teachers out of faith, but out of constant investigation.'

DQ Senior Member ArtoriusVonKrieg's Avatar

I wouldn't worry... technology is always evolving, if people seriously want this content then they will find a way to get it regardless of any laws.

Meh, if such a law passes we already know where all the government officials live. It won't be to hard to change their minds.
    Man rule 48. Any dispute lasting any longer than 3 minutes must be settled by rock, paper, scissors.

DQ Senior Member ArtoriusVonKrieg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zolen View Post
    Meh, if such a law passes we already know where all the government officials live. It won't be to hard to change their minds.
    Don't even have to go that far. Just make the tools that can be used to bypass these measures available to the less technically inclined (and make the tools easy to use/understand).

Quote Originally Posted by ArtoriusVonKrieg View Post
    Don't even have to go that far. Just make the tools that can be used to bypass these measures available to the less technically inclined (and make the tools easy to use/understand).
    A child will keep doing bad things if nobody tells him to stop.
    Man rule 48. Any dispute lasting any longer than 3 minutes must be settled by rock, paper, scissors.

I can't imagine how they will even be able to pull this off...
    I'm not afraid of dying. I'm afraid I haven't been alive enough.

Similar things have been tried in the past, and despite the fact that the people in charge of making laws are becoming increasingly stupider, they're too busy being homophobic and trying to eliminate healthcare for elderly poor people to fight the internet.
    I just show up sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Victory View Post
    America truly is run by monkeys.
    I couldn't agree more. I mean, this is a clear infringement of the 1st amendment.
    DQ's medical advisor.
    "What is food to one is to others bitter poison" - Titus Lucretius Carus

Quote Originally Posted by leapoffaith View Post
    Similar things have been tried in the past, and despite the fact that the people in charge of making laws are becoming increasingly stupider, they're too busy being homophobic and trying to eliminate healthcare for elderly poor people to fight the internet.
    No way in Helheim am I going to have the government take over paying for my health care. They will end up spending it all on fancy jets.

I don't worry much about what congress does these days. By the time they actually accomplish something I'll already be dead.
    Rachel Constantine: I was especially interested in the section on Arroway's video unit. The one that recorded the static?
    Michael Kitz: Continue.
    Rachel Constantine: The fact that it recorded static isn't what interests me. What interests me is that it recorded approximately eighteen hours of it.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" -Evelyn Beatrice Hall Relax

Unless Rick Perry comes into office. Then we're all even more fucked then we are right now.
    I just show up sometimes.

I assume it applies more towards unlicensed streaming of complete works rather than segments of movies and videogames.

Either way it looks kind of bleak in regards to posting major label music.

The incoherence and/or incompetence of today's mentally incapable American politicians still escapes my comprehension.

Eh, it's probably because these are some frat boys in their 60s that don't understand the internet. They believe what the lobbyist fools say.

So if some little kid gets on my site and uploads a picture that's copyrighted, I'll go to jail?! >.>
    (or on second thought, Webs will go to jail?)
    ~ Animation FrEaK

I'm a level 22 Buttbuttin Killing_Time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    I assume it applies more towards unlicensed streaming of complete works rather than segments of movies and videogames.

Either way it looks kind of bleak in regards to posting major label music.
    It's gonna be hard on anyone who likes doing covers and remixes of music, because from what I understand from the music artists' uproar, fans won't be able to do that.

They won't need to change to IPv6 because people won't want on the internet...
    ~ Animation FrEaK

DQ Member

I agree with Vic and Big Boom.
    That's a shameless act against their own people and like Shino (baptized XD) said we don't have that problem here on Balkan.
    I would be among the first who will protest if that would happen here >
    Like many of you fellow Americans say :"God bless America"! (damn politics)