Register

Default Real Life Horror Game?

Hey there everyone. Recently I've taken up one of the major roles in a camp we're preparing for the new freshmen who are coming into our school this year. The role is to create a real life horror game which will occur at night.

The objective of the activity will be to create a real life game with multiple levels, meaning that after each group of freshmen clears each one they will move to the next one. We, the people who are in charge of the activity will have to dress up as ghosts, horror icons, or any other sort of incarnation of terror and attempt to frighten the freshmen senseless at each level. There will also be an overall plot to forward the game, and reasons for the freshmen to have to go through each level.

The freshmen will be split into several groups who will go through each level in different orders so as to not bump into each other.

The game will most likely take place in a place similar to a farm, a forest, or grassy plains. It could be any of the above as we haven't decided where the camp will take place yet. Elaborate buildings are also possible settings, but much less likely.

So, right now what I'm asking for is advice on how to do the whole thing. You can give me plot ideas, ways levels should be set, what monsters we should be, or anything of the sort.

What I'd most appreciate however, which is also what I care about most, is how to create a truly terrifying atmosphere in the game. It was my passion for this aspect that I took the activity in the first place.

So any ideas guys?

I'm a level 22 Buttbuttin Killing_Time's Avatar

Oh man, I participated in one of those. Have roads by forests so you can hide and trigger scary stuff from there from each level. Try and have one specific character stalk them the entire way and make it seem as if it's him triggering all the traps and ghosts and so on. If everyone in the game - including the people who help forward the plot - are scared of him, it'll make sure you have at least one player with soiled pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Killing_Time View Post
    Oh man, I participated in one of those. Have roads by forests so you can hide and trigger scary stuff from there from each level. Try and have one specific character stalk them the entire way and make it seem as if it's him triggering all the traps and ghosts and so on. If everyone in the game - including the people who help forward the plot - are scared of him, it'll make sure you have at least one player with soiled pants.
    What he said.

But you could try at some point during one of them slipping several people into the group as plants, so you can make them "dissapear".
    DQ's medical advisor.
    "What is food to one is to others bitter poison" - Titus Lucretius Carus

Quote Originally Posted by Killing_Time View Post
    That could work, but I would believe to make it work properly it would have to be noticeable and subtle at the same time. Any idea how that could work?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockonman View Post
    But you could try at some point during one of them slipping several people into the group as plants, so you can make them "dissapear".
    That could prove to be a problem with one being that we all will know each other, and two it's somewhat dangerous seeing as we might not know if the people have disappeared as part of the plot, or have actually become lost from the group.

DQ 1337 Member Paperback Writer's Avatar

Make bathrooms a neutral zone.

KT is a girl.

Anyway, I like the idea, but try not to outdo yourself. Horror is all about atmosphere, not cheap scares. Be scary, not startling.

Quote Originally Posted by Victory View Post
    Anyway, I like the idea, but try not to outdo yourself. Horror is all about atmosphere, not cheap scares. Be scary, not startling.
    Yeah, I realize that. Any advice or examples on how to achieve it?

That really depends on what you have to work with. Don't be predictable, is about the best piece of advice I could give you.

DQ 1337 Member ...I'm not telling you!'s Avatar

Could be a level where they have to go through an entirely dark room, trying to find the door out of it, and you put some on in there. And when the door they got into the room with is closed, completely putting them in darkness have the person quietly start creeping around the room making noises. And I dunno, have these noises appear later on in the game too.

yeah a dark room with doors suddenly closing. Hide someone in the room and he should start whispering something strange then suddenly stop, doors then unlock and lead forward and when they are about to leave the room that guy from before walks up behind them and scare them, not a cheap 'BA!' but i dunno maybe like gnarling or what. Later when they are in a hall lights suddenly flicker and they hear horrible screams not far away and when they come there they discover blood on the floor. Whole game give them someone stalking them, giving them feeling of being watched and hunted. Try to split them apart. Dress like ghosts (worn clothes etc) and paint your face completely white/gray and black around your eyes with drops and streams of blood from you eyes. Practice screaming and changing voice. After some time they should be afraid of a single dried leaf crack. And mirrors. Hope i helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Victory View Post
    KT is a girl.
    Preposterous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aval View Post
    Do you have any idea how hard it is to make Madder praise the Beatles? I have been trying for three consecutive years to do that without success, but you managed it through the power of your wrongness. I'm kind of proud in a sick twisted way.

just place rebecca black there and you get blair witch project