Register

Default Review-Scott Pilgrim

(First of all, I hope I'm posting in the right place. I can't seem to find the Article Submission thread, so I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place)

Scott motherfucking Pilgrim. What can you say?

For those of you who don't know, Scott Pilgrim is a series of comic books set in an alternate universe that acts like a video game, complete with power-ups, extra lives, experience points, and over-the-top Kung Fu battles. The story centers around (surprise surprise) Scott Pilgrim, a lady-killer wannabe jerky-jerk who, despite being 23 at the beginning of the series, has all the maturity of a 5-year-old. Oh, and he happens to be the best fighter in the province. This last aspect must be put to use when Scott meets Ramona Flowers, a mysterious girl on rollerskates who works for Amazon. Scott finds out that he must defeat Ramona's seven evil exes for the right to go out with her.

Scott is in a band called...wait for it...Sex Bob-Omb. He plays bass guitar, while Stephen Stills does guitar and vocals, and Kim Pine plays drums. The three are technically friends, but most of the time Stephen and Kim just end up getting pissed off at Scott due to his staggering ineptitude. Scott also has a gay roommate named Wallace Wells who is quite gay, but not stereotypically so. Then, there's Knives.

Knives Chau is a 17-year-old Chinese schoolgirl who is going out with Scott at the beginning of the story. However, when Scott meets Ramona, he dumps Knives. This causes her to have a grudge against Ramona throughout most of the series.

The movie, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World was written and directed by cinematic genius Edgar Wright, who also directed this little thing called, uh, Shaun of the Dead. The movie ended up turning into my favorite movie of all time. And still is. Wright amped up the fighting a bunch, while using the best jokes from the comics as well as his own brand of humor. In fact, the movie was so amazing that it completely bombed at the box office. Tsk tsk.

Ubisoft made a video game tie-in for the movie, bringing Scott Pilgrim full-circle. I haven't played it, but from what I hear it's pretty amazing.Also, all of the music for the game was provided by Anamanaguchi, masters of the art of Chiptune music. Also, they happen to be the providers of my favorite song evar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB-I4oM1oKw. I'll talk about them in another review.

So, that's Scott Pilgrim. If you haven't read the comics, check them out. Also, go and buy the movie, because you'll want to watch it over and over again. If you have read the comics and seen the movie, watch the movie again, because it's just that good.

-Rabbi 106
    John Hancock. that was a joke ladies and gentlemen

I'm a level 22 Buttbuttin Killing_Time's Avatar

The movie ended up turning into my favorite movie of all time. And still is. Wright amped up the fighting a bunch, while using the best jokes from the comics as well as his own brand of humor. In fact, the movie was so amazing that it completely bombed at the box office. Tsk tsk.
    So you call 2 lines of opinion a review?

Scott Pilgrim is an awesome movie hands down! Also the manga is also amazing!

-Proverbs 17:17 :)

Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar

I saw 26 films in 2010. Out of all of them, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World was my 5th favorite. I completely disagree with Net, the appeal of the film is much bigger and more universal than pop culture references, and it was a breakout role for Michael. As for hating Scott, that's kind of the point, he's not meant to be a nice guy. :/

Even so... "favorite movie of all time" is a big statement, Rabbi. For perspective, what's your second favorite?

EDIT: Actually I saw a lot more than 26 films in 2010, probably more than a hundred, but only 26 of the films I saw were actually 2010 releases, the others were on DVD or streamed or torrented.
    Last edited by Varthonai; April 25th, 2011 at 04:29 AM.

part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Netrosis View Post
    But yeah, there's lots of little things to enjoy about the movie including it's relatively modern or at least up-to-date depiction of awkward teenage romance.
    Bizarre, considering that none of the major characters are teenagers except for Knives. Mayhaps you need to watch the film again Net?

Quote Originally Posted by Netrosis View Post
    When it all comes together it makes for an enjoyable, entertaining watch (as long as you can understand the references). It'd be a stretch to say I found it funny though, and I definitely wouldn't say it was a bad movie, but it's kind of one of those movies that you understand or you don't and if you don't it's going to be a horrible experience for you. Luckily most of the young people these days have played some video games and would understand most of the references.
    Nope, actually it turns out that the themes and humor are both universal enough to appeal to a wide audience, including the film critic demographic, of which even the geniuses of the field are often notoriously ignorant about video games (see: Roger Ebert).

part two in progress

All the characters are assholes to one another. Seriously. This made it really hard to watch. It was meant to come across as friendly banter, but it really didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aval View Post
    Do you have any idea how hard it is to make Madder praise the Beatles? I have been trying for three consecutive years to do that without success, but you managed it through the power of your wrongness. I'm kind of proud in a sick twisted way.

I actually didn't like it that much. Tbh, No More Heroes basically did it already. But better. Because Suda51 is your friggin God.
    Rachel Constantine: I was especially interested in the section on Arroway's video unit. The one that recorded the static?
    Michael Kitz: Continue.
    Rachel Constantine: The fact that it recorded static isn't what interests me. What interests me is that it recorded approximately eighteen hours of it.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" -Evelyn Beatrice Hall Relax

Travis Touchdown didn't have a very relatable ambition.

part two in progress

My Achilles heel is a challenge.
    Rachel Constantine: I was especially interested in the section on Arroway's video unit. The one that recorded the static?
    Michael Kitz: Continue.
    Rachel Constantine: The fact that it recorded static isn't what interests me. What interests me is that it recorded approximately eighteen hours of it.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" -Evelyn Beatrice Hall Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Varthonai View Post
    I saw 26 films in 2010. Out of all of them, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World was my 5th favorite.
    What was your favorite then? I'm just curious.
    I'm not afraid of dying. I'm afraid I haven't been alive enough.

Let Me In. Which is also in my top five favorite movies of all time, not just 2010.

part two in progress

Net: I wanted to tackle the whole spectrum of Scott Pilgrim, as opposed to just the comic or just the movie.

Varth: My second favorite movie would be Shaun of the Dead. Yes, I am a little immature when it comes to my tastes in movies. While Scott Pilgrim has its flaws, it has a great mix of action and comedy, and the editing is very sleek and sexy. Also, the world of Scott Pilgrim is definitely the best fictional world out there. So, looking at all of that, I'd say that it's my favorite movie. Shaun of the Dead is a very close second, because karate is better than zombies. If only by a bit.

Polo: Look, I know, but that's the point. It worked in the comics, at least. In the comics, Scott and Ramona were the only assholes, and they got over that by the end of the series. Also, I'd say that in the movies, Scott wasn't an asshole, he was just immature.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi106 View Post
    Varth: My second favorite movie would be Shaun of the Dead. Yes, I am a little immature when it comes to my tastes in movies.
    No, Shaun of the Dead is much closer to classic-film status than Scott Pilgrim, I'm much less surprised that it's on your list.

part two in progress

Well, I don't think that films have to be classic for them to be your favorite movie. Besides, in time, I'm sure that Scott Pilgrim will become a cult classic in the same way that Shaun of the Dead has.

I honestly disliked Scott Pilgrim, I found it obnoxious and generally not that amusing. Unlike the comic, the movie just seemed juvenile and atention deficit. Michael Cera fell short as a lead, and the rest of the cast didn't really make me feel at all engaged in the film.

So in my humble opinion, Scott Pilgrim is possibly one of the most tragic cases (topped by the recent adaption of Atlas Shrugged) as something that could have been great but turned out mediocre.

Perhaps the characters seem juvenile, but the script is very mature, as in, it is very well written. It's one of those have-to-see-it-a-few-times-to-get-all-of-the-jokes kind of movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi106 View Post
    Perhaps the characters seem juvenile, but the script is very mature, as in, it is very well written. It's one of those have-to-see-it-a-few-times-to-get-all-of-the-jokes kind of movies.
    You're giving it far more credit than it deserves. The comic was far better, and the movie simply lacks the humour of the source material.

DQ 1337 Member Paperback Writer's Avatar

Saw Scott Pilgrim way before this and then saw it again. It gets somewhat better the second time you watch it.

Jedi-L is being THAT GUY. Ignore him.

I haven't read the comi and when I decided to watch a little of the movie online, I soon got that there was a LOT that I didn't understand and it all seemed too fake, too plastic..
    But your review was very, very well written, Rabbi, and I kept on reading and then continued throughout the thread. Now I'll definitely look into Scott pilgrim

Its a great film and Mary Elizabeth Winstead is fit she was put in right for the part to play as Ramona Flowers.