Register
    DQ 1337 Member ...I'm not telling you!'s Avatar

Default Sucker Punch Review

Sucker Punch review
    I have mixed feelings towards this film. Ultimately I think I can narrow it down to being disappointed with it, but that all depends on your pre-set standards.

Sucker Punch opens with the films main character nicknamed ‘Baby Doll’, having lost her mother, and being left with her typically rotten step-father. The father assaults Baby Doll; she fights back, and pulls a gun on him. She is sent to a woman's only insane asylum where the therapist there teaches the girls how to handle being there.
    Sounds quite normal so far, yes?
    Give it half an hour, and what I ACTUALLY went to see this film for shows. AWESOME.

You wouldn't have guessed it from my introductory paragraph, but Sucker Punches main selling points were exaggerated action sequences (that cover most main genres, medieval, high tech sci-fi, post apocalyptic war fields, and covers some even more creative scenarios) and the five lead female characters in tiny outfits, taking part in these amazing fights. I can't explain myself the shear awesome of these fights. So hows about if you haven't already seen it, you watch this trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrIiYSdEe4E

A fucking stone samurai with a chain gun. FUCK. YEAAAAAAAH.

Now I came to this film for the high action, so I’ll cover that first. The action sequences are amazing, but feel misplaced to the rest of the film. Which they are. In truth, the film would have very little without them and they are completely irrelevant to the rest of the film. See, the therapist chooses music for the girls to listen to put them in to a relevant, inspiring state of mind for them to dance to. Incidentally the soundtrack collection for this film is pretty good! And then the film takes us into their heads to see what they're thinking, the fight sequences. The choreography is beautiful, and really well thought out. Every sequence is unique; defining environments, different well designed enemies and events are different every time we go into the girls minds. The choreography is similar to that of what you’d see in an anime, for example, people jumping forty feet from the air, on to the ground, and then on impact, raising one arm slightly above the body. Also back flips. The animation and effects used are all ridiculous.
    ly awesome and will cover everyones fetish for action at least once. Did I say fetish? I meant taste.

On a note, I tried reasonably hard to avoid noticing the sexual themes in the film, but it was shoved in your face quite obnoxiously, but it's nothing that bad. The occasional moans during battle, and a lot of up skirt.

Now for me, this film sold itself on awesome, so I was expecting a poor story, justified by the action sequences. In truth, the story was ok. Nothing outstanding, but there was nothing wrong with it. But, towards the end of the film, its selling nature killed itself with a sudden serious, almost grieving chain of events. Now, as well as ruining my hopes for the film, I think the sudden switch from ‘FUCKING AWESOME!’ to ‘slit my wrists |:c…’ didn't bleed in well. Granted, two factors could possibly account for just how impacting the switch was. One, how instant of a change it was, and two how unexpected. Being prepared for it may not have left me with such a sour feeling to the film. Personally, the last half hour really did ruin the entire film for me sadly enough.
    I think I’d recommend seeing this either on a night where you wouldn't mind having had your time used up, or just on DVD. That or you could just watch the fight scenes on Youtube :3.

Other than that, for he vague reasons as to why the fight scenes are even remotely justified for being in the film, the film was quite clever. Your enjoyment I suppose would be determined by just what you're expecting. I'd say go with this attitude if you see it, bear with it until the fight sequences finally come up, suspend disbelief and just let yourself enjoy it. And just prepare yourself to get out of that feel after the fourth fight sequence.

I rate it out of 10, a 6. Odd thing is, I seem to have subconsciously split the segments of the films real world story, and its fight sequences into two separate things. So then I would rate the film a 4/10 and the awesome a 9/10. In short, if you want to see some really interesting fight sequences, you should give this film a go. If you want to see it for the story (the real story) I really wouldn't say it's that great.

i am 12 and wat is this? Diplomacy Domination Victory Aval's Avatar

Sucker Punch was absolutely fucking excellent in almost every way. I'll say more once I've had some more time to mull it over and put it together and reform my blown mind and ability to write properly, but suffice to say that this film should be being watched right now by you and you are a bad person for not doing so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Polo View Post
    why the fuck can i never find what I'm after this is so gay

I don't know... I haven't seen it yet, but from the trailer, it seems like it has the "men, especially ones in charge of psych wards, are all evil and like to force women to wear hardly any clothes and kinda be slaves" overtone. But that's from the trailer
    DQ's medical advisor.
    "What is food to one is to others bitter poison" - Titus Lucretius Carus

DQ 1337 Member Paperback Writer's Avatar

Is it feminist?

Quote Originally Posted by ...I'm not telling you! View Post
    I would rate the film a 4/10 and the awesome a 9/10. In short, if you want to see some really interesting fight sequences, you should give this film a go. If you want to see it for the story (the real story) I really wouldn't say it's that great.
    That's all we need and think, brah.

Quote Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    Is it feminist?
    It gives most men a bad reputation, actually I think that only one man helps those girls.
    Hell yeah it's feminist

Aval, what the fuck man? What the fuck? I can't even tell if you're serious anymore. You're making me cry. Oh god...

But guys, guys, you should totally buy/watch this movie. Even if you don't like the movieness of it, it's new fapping material. From Hollywood. Yes.
    Last edited by Shadowtime23; April 4th, 2011 at 11:38 AM.

i am 12 and wat is this? Diplomacy Domination Victory Aval's Avatar

Let me just make clear that if you ever found yourself sexualising the girls then you are more twisted and sexually jaded than me - that's something of an accomplishment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Polo View Post
    why the fuck can i never find what I'm after this is so gay

DQ 1337 Member ...I'm not telling you!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowtime23 View Post
    That's all we need and think, brah.
    Thing is, after I saw the film I really wanted to expel all the mixed feeling I had. I rarely find a film where I can't nail a decision for it once I've finished watching it. And, in truth Aval I'm surprised at your response to the film.
    Last edited by ...I'm not telling you!; April 18th, 2011 at 02:56 PM.

From the looks of the trailer, it looks horrible
    The visual effects are neat, but if i remember right, it looks kinda screwed when i see a chick in a miniskirt and high heels kicking mens ass.

Kinda like Charlies Angels, i know it was meant to be ridiculously crazy and dumb. But they did that to make the movie more like a comedy movie, right?
    It just wasn't funny...

No disrespect to girls kicking the asses of a bunch of baddies, i just want it to look just a little realistic.
    Yes i know a lot of fighting-scenes are really unrealistic, but at least it doesn't look as dumb as performing martial-arts in high heels...

I like the looks of that strange world they're in, but that's it.

This opinion is based on what i've seen from the trailer, nothing else.

I'll NOT watch the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowtime23 View Post

It gives most men a bad reputation, actually I think that only one man helps those girls.
    Hell yeah it's feminist
    What I said.

This movie seems like it'd be a movie only worth watching on dvd, if only for the action scenes.
    DQ's medical advisor.
    "What is food to one is to others bitter poison" - Titus Lucretius Carus

It scares me how right I am sometimes. I was on the money that this was a video game movie of a video game that didn't exist. In fact, I would go as far as to say it would've been better as a video game. Way better.

I wanted to write this post when I'm not on the brink of collapse but I just wanted to drop it in that you should give the movie a shot. The theme/plot is surprisingly quaint (in the sense thats its one of your typical off the shelf ones) and the analogous subtext of the 'sequences' is amusing. While the CGI was near Weta level (on a log scale), it still made me pine for the days of real effects. While watching the movie the 'sequences' were entertaining, but in retrospect it is obvious that those involved are more adept to creative visualization than creative choreographing (which in my tastes I like the reversed so a bit disappoint I be.) What allowed this movie however, to put its foot in my door was the ability to have me start singing along aloud subconsciously to songs that have been remixed beyond recognition; only realizing what song it was afterwards. So needless to say I approve of the song selection. As well as doing away with any plot connotations given by the trailer. (It's not sexual assault, it's simple inheritance murder.) The movie surprised me twice but gave into expectation once, so it's still in the black.

tl;dr I recommend watching it at the very least.
    Rachel Constantine: I was especially interested in the section on Arroway's video unit. The one that recorded the static?
    Michael Kitz: Continue.
    Rachel Constantine: The fact that it recorded static isn't what interests me. What interests me is that it recorded approximately eighteen hours of it.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" -Evelyn Beatrice Hall Relax

Apostolic Moderator Diplomacy Domination VictoryOne Time Chess ChampionDiplomacy Domination Victory Varthonai's Avatar

Hmmmm. DC and Aval make a powerful combined case.

It's not like I haven't seen several critical bombs that I still found to be above-average films recently... very well.

part two in progress
    current update: save the cat that you maimed

Buffer post to allow feedback.
    Rachel Constantine: I was especially interested in the section on Arroway's video unit. The one that recorded the static?
    Michael Kitz: Continue.
    Rachel Constantine: The fact that it recorded static isn't what interests me. What interests me is that it recorded approximately eighteen hours of it.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" -Evelyn Beatrice Hall Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Rockonman View Post
    I don't know... I haven't seen it yet, but from the trailer, it seems like it has the "men, especially ones in charge of psych wards, are all evil and like to force women to wear hardly any clothes and kinda be slaves" overtone. But that's from the trailer
    you are pretty much on the money lol