Register

Default [Review](band) DragonForce by Rabbi

[Facts will be used, but opinions will be stated]

Hey, this is Rabbi 106, and I think we all know who these guys are. You just defeated Lou the Devil in Guitar Hero 3. You play the end of that kick-ass cover of The Devil Went Down To Georgia, and the screen says, "YOU ARE A ROCK LEGEND!" Then, the screen fades to black. When it fades back in again, you're standing atop a giant pillar made of amplifiers, and you wonder what the hell is going on. Then, you realize you're playing a song. It was a song that not many people had heard of, but was, and is, the longest and most difficult song in any GH game to date. Yes, Through the Fire and Flames introduced the world to the majesty that is: DragonForce.

DragonForce is an English Fantasy Metal/Speed Metal band with the two best damn guitarists on the planet. Founded in 1999 as "DragonHeart," the band originally consisted of Herman Li and Sam Totman on guitar, ZP Theart singing, Steve Scott on Bass, Matej Setinc on drums, and Steve Williams on keyboard, though in the music videos he usually has a keytar (keyboard guitar).

The part of Through the Fire and Flames in Guitar Hero 3 that gave us aching fingers was the 3&1/2-minute guitar solo in the middle, and there's one in almost all of their songs. As I said before, Herman Li and Sam Totman, the founders and guitarists, are probably the best guitarists out there. You think your fingers ached? Try playing 3 or 4 songs on stage, not being allowed to screw up at all, with a real guitar. They do that every day on their tours. There was a bit of controversy with the whole tour thing, though. During their "Inhuman Rampage" tour, they didn't play as well as it sounded on their album. Also, it was in a lower key, leading to the suspicion that they sped up the guitar on the album, and that they couldn't play as well as it seemed on the CD. However, Herman Li revealed that technical problems throughout most of the tour hindered the band's performance, and these claims were refuted during their subsequent tours.

Another definitive quality of DragonForce is their lyrical content. It's always about swords-and-sorcery fantasy, leading to my belief that they played a lot of Dungeons&Dragons in their earlier years. They might even base each album on separate D&D campaigns, and if they aren't, I'm so calling that. But, I digress. It's pretty funny how serious they are about it. Where most metal bands make songs about hell and demons as if they were true, DragonForce replaces the Necronomicon with Return of the King, Hell with Mordor, and the Devil with Sauron. Here's a stanza from Through the Fire and Flames.

Now here we stand with their blood on our hands
    We fought so hard, now can we understand
    I'll break the seal off this curse if I possibly can
    For freedom of every man

They sing it with such sincerity, you can't help but laugh. It's not like you listen to DragonForce for the words, though.

So, in the end, Dragonforce is a pretty good band. If you like Speed Metal, this is for you, because metal doesn't get any speedier than this. Let me know if you like this article on my user page, and if 10 people give me positive reviews, I'll make more reviews like this one. See you next time!

Last edited by Rabbi106; July 3rd, 2010 at 02:22 AM.
    John Hancock. that was a joke ladies and gentlemen

great review Dragon force is awesome!!!!

Dragonforce does have some good songs, it's a pity that they sound shit Live. cause most of there stuff is multi-tracked.
    New DeviantArt Account: http://neighday.deviantart.com/

Again, as far as I know, the whole "sounding shit live" aspect was due to technical malfunctions. I'm still positive that Herman Li and Sam Totman are the best guitarists on the planet.

You realize that not only they are unable to play their own material live, but they haven't done anything new or interesting other than pumping the tempo beyond where it belongs?

I mean, I know plenty of people that can play Through the Fire and the Flames on a real guitar in their sleep, but they can't. Seriously, if you knew the facts, you would realize that they're really week musicians, and from a music standpoint, their tunes lack any sort of complexity in an artistic manner. Don't even get me started on how stupid I think their lyrics are, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi106 View Post
    If you like Speed Metal, this is for you, because metal doesn't get any speedier than this.
    Don't you speak about things you have no idea about.

"Bitches wit they own shit, we don' like golddiggers."
    -Bryson Tiller

I wouldn't say they're good. They can be fun to listen to, for what? 10 minutes. This is until you realise, on a basic level, their songs sound pretty much the same.

That's not what annoys me, though, I just don't like the band. At the same time they're putting their musical style into disrepute because they speed the tracks up during the mixing sessions. Which is all very well, but they're doing it less for the artistic value and more in a superficial wang-waving fashion.

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

P.s lets add fifty guitars, layer them, and put power chords on. Same notation, however different tempo for each. Come on now. Yeaaaah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aval View Post
    Do you have any idea how hard it is to make Madder praise the Beatles? I have been trying for three consecutive years to do that without success, but you managed it through the power of your wrongness. I'm kind of proud in a sick twisted way.

Yeah, the lyrics are stupid, but they're no more stupid than the lyrics of most metal bands, which usually have to do with satanism and other macabre subjects, and at the end of the day, I'd rather play Dungeons and Dragons than Vampire the Masquerade, if you know what I mean. Look, as far as I know, the tour for their latest album, "Ultra Beatdown," has shown that they can play their songs. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. Also, let's just say that they can't play their own music. Well, neither can Daft Punk, right? Like, in their live performances, the songs are all off-key. As for the albums, it's all computers. And yet, I still love them.

On a different topic, did you guys enjoy the review? I'll do more if you did.

Yeah, the lyrics are stupid, but they're no more stupid than the lyrics of most metal bands, which usually have to do with satanism and other macabre subjects
    Arhem.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMagnum
    Don't you speak about things you have no idea about.
    -Bryson Tiller

I liked you review

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMagnum View Post
    Arhem.
    well I have to partly agree, it's not most metal bands it's more most black metal bands I think ( I'm talking about stuff like Gorgoroth ), a friend of mine listens to that.
    music is what keeps me alive
    my deviantart

Black Metal is meant for Satanism and other shit. The word ''most'' is extremelly exaggerated for this cause, because Black Metal bands are approximatelly a break of the whole Metal genre.
    -Bryson Tiller

Cleveland, New York, Atlanta, Amudsun Scott, and Apollo, name it, I'm there.

Again, as far as I know, the whole "sounding shit live" aspect was due to technical malfunctions. I'm still positive that Herman Li and Sam Totman are the best guitarists on the planet.
    Nah. They can play fast, but not well. Joe Satriani, Kirk Hammet, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Tonni Iommi and Eddie Van Halen are good guitarists, just to name a few.

Dragon Force? They're an OK band, not my favorite, but definitely not the one I hate the most. I mean, they really can't play live all that well and the guitars take a lot of credit for what the keyboards should in that band. I'd still prefer other metal bands, like Metallica, Megadeth, or Slayer if you like fast-paced stuff over them.

Yeah, the lyrics are stupid, but they're no more stupid than the lyrics of most metal bands, which usually have to do with satanism and other macabre subjects.
    Meh, some bands, yes. But do you think that you could display some of the things in songs such as... well... Angel of Death by Slayer in a Country song? Or even Walk by Pantera in a J-Pop song?

Sides, I don't listen to bands that scream about killing and shit... though I will listen to them every once and awhile. Either way, good review.
    Last edited by Lucky Joe; July 12th, 2010 at 07:30 PM.
    This is war, survival is your responsibility.

I used to listen to this band before when I used to like rock but there songs where just repetitive though.

http://soundcloud.com/mr-kdn
    "Cause our presence is a present, just to kick it is a blessing"

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Joe View Post
    Nah. They can play fast, but not well. Joe Satriani, Kirk Hammet, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Tonni Iommi and Eddie Van Halen are good guitarists, just to name a few.
    May Jimi rest in peace D: (All time favorite guitarist)
    Anyways, I find the guitarists from dragonforce have some talent in the
    style they play. But it's like make-up, they put so much on after a while it becomes to much. If they had more substance with their music, it would
    be a lot better.

DQ Senior Member ArtoriusVonKrieg's Avatar

As a band Dragonforce are no more skilled than say Green Day, they play fast and really technical but there isn't any emotion in their playing (or I don't think so). Playing fast has its merits, but in general their are very few artists in the world who can do it with emotion and not like some robot. Melodically if Dragonforce slowed down they would do themselves no end of favours. They already have the technical skill, it just needs to be applied accordingly. I agree with the fact that their songs all sound the same. Essentially they should be trying to broaden their musical horizons, otherwise they will continue play the same recycled music until their grave (the band's grave not their own).

People have already mentioned how their live performances aren't up to scratch. If you can't connect to the audience as a band, then you aren't doing yourself any favours. After all, live performances give bands the chance to increase their fanbase and increase peoples confidence in knowing that they are well rounded, talented individuals. Dragonforce aren't well renowned for exhibiting these qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Joe View Post
    You have mentioned quite a few good players, though you are missing a few. Such as Eric Clapton, Matt Bellamy, Mark Knopfler and Paul Gilbert. I also disagree with Joe Satriani, as a technical player many would say he is unrivalled however there is someone who eclipses even him. I consider Steve Vai to be possibly the greatest guitarist at this point in time, did you know that he was taught by Satriani?

Overall I think your review was good Rabbi, but this is an over-hyped band who reached their peak long ago.

^This^

I can't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by kingmiami View Post
    I used to listen to this band ... but there songs where just repetitive though.
    I couldn't agree more. I stopped listening after I realized that every song on Inhuman Rampage sounded pretty much the same.

This is also true for Disturbed in my opinion.

No knocking their musicianship, though. The songs just sound exactly allike.
    DQ's medical advisor.
    "What is food to one is to others bitter poison" - Titus Lucretius Carus

I definitely agree that their songs sound all the same, that's why I only got Through the Fire and Flames on iTunes, and not the whole album. I honestly just wanted to talk about something that would be fun to talk about, and that might introduce more conversation and debate. I will have access to a computer on the weekend, and I'll do a review of something cool.