PDA

View Full Version : ABB Robot

Oscar
February 22nd, 2011, 01:22 PM
Hi guys,

I don't have any fancy pants art to show you this time around, but I wanted to share something I made in my latest course in school:

http://deletionquality.net/upload/robot/

It's a programmable ABB robot model Irb 1600! I've been learning lots and lots of Actionscript 3 and it's proven useful. It still has some small bugs but feel free to point them out in case I missed any.

You may ask yourself- why? Well, I can't honestly say an industrial robot was my primary choice. I wasn't allowed to make the transformer kind of robot that I wanted :P It needed some sort of connection to reality.

I will have some other news regarding my increasing programming knowledge but I'll leave that to a future update. I think you'll enjoy it! :haw:

See you around folks.
/Oscar Johansson

Victory
February 22nd, 2011, 01:58 PM
Awesome stuff. It's a little sad though that there's nothing really to do with the arm besides move it around. It's a good looking demo though, if nothing else. The camera is a little sensitive though and if the cursor goes outside the screen then the camera controls bugs a little and you have to click again for the camera to start moving. Also, how does the command system work? I just keep spamming the space bar while moving the arm around xD

Oscar
February 22nd, 2011, 02:32 PM
Thanks.

Yes it is. I was planning to add in some sort of small missions for the user to perform. Like moving small boxes from position A to B etc. Turned out to be quite a project so I never had the time to add it in.

Be sure to look at the instructions at the menu. Basically you store a command with space. A command is the current position of the robot. When you move the robot to a new pose you hit space again and if you now hit Enter the robot will play that "program". You can also replace existing commands and quick view poses through the command manager.

Oh by the way. In case you're wondering why the robot looks so plain it's because of the limits in papervision3D. Flash simply can't handle realtime 3D rendering with lightning, textures, bumpmaps shadows etc.

rezuth
February 22nd, 2011, 02:32 PM
You still need a better input method but other than that its nice.

leapoffaith
February 22nd, 2011, 02:47 PM
If you added in a couple things to interact with, I could play with that thing for hours.

Oscar
February 22nd, 2011, 02:52 PM
You still need a better input method but other than that its nice.
Yea, been thinking about that too. Positioning the parts with your mouse would be more convenient. I think the current way of handling it better reflects the way you do it in real life however. We have this model on the school and I got to try it out. You basically have a joystick and move the robot with it.

username
February 22nd, 2011, 08:50 PM
If you added in a couple things to interact with, I could play with that thing for hours.

Me too. Really nice.
Also...

I will have some other news regarding my increasing programming knowledge but I'll leave that to a future update. I think you'll enjoy it! :haw:

Sneaky comment is sneaky...

ArtoriusVonKrieg
February 23rd, 2011, 05:05 PM
If you gave a few objectives and i'd spend hours on this. But like you said you ran out of time. I like the input system it's very simple and easy to understand, kudos. :)

Rockonman
February 23rd, 2011, 06:23 PM
Thanks.

Yes it is. I was planning to add in some sort of small missions for the user to perform. Like moving small boxes from position A to B etc. Turned out to be quite a project so I never had the time to add it in.

That's for v. 1.2

Yea, this is really fun, even without the interactable objects.

nino
February 25th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Another fine pice of art Oscar, good work!

I know it may be much to ask for, but could you make a v1.2 and ad some gear for the robot to use?

like a claw, magnet, net, grabbing, device, welding etc.

anyway, what kind of programs did you use for this prodject?

/nino

Ecfor
February 27th, 2011, 06:15 PM
My robot is spinning around and headbanging!

*thumbs up*

BanHammor
March 2nd, 2011, 11:42 AM
Good stuff! Great to see you progressing in the form you have never mastered.

Sirrin Nacht
March 2nd, 2011, 07:38 PM
It's rather limited currently, but like others have already said, a little more complexity would give it great replay value.

Kenneth
March 3rd, 2011, 12:01 PM
Excellent in the time you had! Maybe you can update the machine sometime in the future. :)